Rubicon Myspace

Here within you discuss about the side-projects, i.e. the bands that has something to do with F.O.T.N. and doesn't include Carl McCoy on vocals.

Moderators: Blue Angel, The Fallen Ones

wild bill buttock
Nephilim

Rubicon Myspace

Post by wild bill buttock » Wed Sep 10, 2008 9:50 pm

Some nice person has started a Rubicon myspace.
www.myspace.com/rubiconbbq

There's a rather excellent live version of Hard for you . Rather a corking bit of bass playing and even Delaney's voice isn't half as irritating as it used to sound on the albums *whistle*
Sleipnir73
Watcher

Post by Sleipnir73 » Wed Sep 10, 2008 10:44 pm

Lord Mureth
Nephilim

Post by Lord Mureth » Thu Sep 11, 2008 7:42 am

Nice finds the both of you! *notworthy*

Just having a listen now; I've not played either cd for a while actually. Do you know, that if there had never been a band a band called Fields of the Nephilim, that Rubicon could well have been the best band ever?

Bugger FOTN reforming, let Carl do his thing with the New Uvvers; and then let's have a Rubicon reunion.

Please.

So that I can see 'em live this time.
wild bill buttock
Nephilim

Post by wild bill buttock » Thu Sep 11, 2008 9:58 pm

I gave What starts ends a listen last week and was surprisingly impressed. I hated it when it came out because it was such a departure from the Neph.
I still can't stand Delaneys vocals though. I'm sure he'd have been great in a HM or blues band but with Rubicon his voice just stands out like a sore thumb. Pity cus Rivers, Brave hearts and Hard for you are fantastic tracks.
I saw them live on thier first tour at The Wolvo Wulfren.It was half empty and a real let down I'm afraid.The band were over an hour late and I spent a very unpleasant time being forced to listen to a fcuking Tom Petty album over and over again over the PA between the support and Rubicon. Kind of ruined the night and I still can't listen to Tom fcuking Petty :evil:
Rubicon were OK but, again, I was really disapointed by how unlike the Nephs they sounded.
I think Rubicon's mistake was similar to McCoy with The Nefilim. In trying to take a step away from the classic Nephilim sound they only succeeded in driving a great many fans away.We're a conservative old bunch, us old goffs, don't you know?
Lord Mureth
Nephilim

Post by Lord Mureth » Fri Sep 12, 2008 9:09 am

You really think that Rubicon's sound was a step away from The Neffs? :shock:

To my ears, they were actually closer to the early Nephilm sound that Elizium was; albiet with different vocals.

Always thought that "What Starts, Ends" sounded like Eddie Vedder singing over 'The Nephilim' LP, which could surely only be a good thing?
wild bill buttock
Nephilim

Post by wild bill buttock » Fri Sep 12, 2008 11:16 pm

The Eddie Vedder thing is true enough.First time I heard them, my immediate thought was they'd gone grunge.
Now a Brit grunge group in the early 90's probably sounded like a right good idea to some record company executive but the reality of Rubicon was too goth for the grungers and too grunge for the goths.
I always thought NFD's first album was more Rubicon than Nephilim but had "What starts ends" sounded more like "Dead pool rising" then it would have been a whole different story. The Neph fans would have stayed and Rubicon would have been THE goth band of the 90's. After all the competition was piss poor wasn't it? Nosferatu and Children on Stun FFS :roll:
Lord Mureth
Nephilim

Post by Lord Mureth » Sat Sep 13, 2008 11:49 am

wild bill buttock wrote:The Eddie Vedder thing is true enough.First time I heard them, my immediate thought was they'd gone grunge.
Now a Brit grunge group in the early 90's probably sounded like a right good idea to some record company executive but the reality of Rubicon was too goth for the grungers and too grunge for the goths.
I always thought NFD's first album was more Rubicon than Nephilim but had "What starts ends" sounded more like "Dead pool rising" then it would have been a whole different story. The Neph fans would have stayed and Rubicon would have been THE goth band of the 90's. After all the competition was piss poor wasn't it? Nosferatu and Children on Stun FFS :roll:
Competition??? There was no competition!!! :lol:

Out of the four post-neffs Pettitt albums, I have to say that DPR is my LEAST favourite. I'd rate 'What Starts, Ends' > Room 101 > No Love Lost > Dead Pool Rising. Obviously none of them are BAD albums, it's just that I only like about half of the songs on Dead Pool. There's a few classics, but half of 'em I find a bit too leaden/cliched/both. :?
dj_chr1st
Dawnrazor

Post by dj_chr1st » Sat Sep 13, 2008 6:03 pm

I was djing a 80's 90's Rock night a couple of weeks ago and some one asked me to play some Rubicon.

I must say i couldnt believe it. It was a nice change

The only request i usually get are for Pantera , GnR and Nirvana or this glammy bloke who always asks me for 'chainsaw charlie' by W.A.S.P .

Played 'What starts ends' it was cool so im packing both albums tonight .
So many creatures
which one are you now
sharpening features
which one are you now .
WolfLover
Dawnrazor

Post by WolfLover » Sat Sep 13, 2008 9:28 pm

'What Starts Ends' is a cracking album, and it has a lot stunning standout songs like 'Brave Hearts, Killing Time, Before My Eyes, Watch Without Pain, Uspoken, Crazed, Rivers & What Starts Ends. The only songs I never really liked were 'Inside Your Head & Hard for You'.

Its definitly an album that deserves a lot more attention. I enjoy Andy's vocals on this album and I personally think that they fit with both the music and the songs. :D
If you pass through my soul tonight
Gather all his troubles
Tomorrow's long with eternal night
Gather for tomorrow
When I'm gone wait here
Discover all of earth's surprises
When I'm gone wait here
I'll send my child my last good smile
moomaaman
Dawnrazor

Post by moomaaman » Sat Sep 13, 2008 9:59 pm

I'd love to get a copy of that album , though cant seem to find it anywhere :wink:
cover his eyes, so that he not over-analyse
WolfLover
Dawnrazor

Post by WolfLover » Sat Sep 13, 2008 10:06 pm

moomaaman wrote:I'd love to get a copy of that album , though cant seem to find it anywhere :wink:
I seen it on both amazon.com & amazon.co.uk. If you want I can send it to you via yousendit.com if you want. My copy's volume is beefed up, because I was sick of the low AAD volume, and I kept on having to turn the volume up all the time. Now I can hear it perfectly without having to touch the volume at all. :D
If you pass through my soul tonight
Gather all his troubles
Tomorrow's long with eternal night
Gather for tomorrow
When I'm gone wait here
Discover all of earth's surprises
When I'm gone wait here
I'll send my child my last good smile
Lord Mureth
Nephilim

Post by Lord Mureth » Sun Sep 14, 2008 8:56 am

WolfLover wrote:
Its definitly an album that deserves a lot more attention. I enjoy Andy's vocals on this album and I personally think that they fit with both the music and the songs. :D
A-flipping-men! *notworthy*
wild bill buttock
Nephilim

Post by wild bill buttock » Tue Sep 23, 2008 8:46 pm

I got a myspazz friend request from Andy Delaney the other day :oops:
I feel really horrible now cus he sounds a reallly nice geezer.
I am never again going to slag off anyone in anyway connected to Fields of the nephilim in case they all gang up and kick my head in :shock:
mattnewcastle
Moonchild

Post by mattnewcastle » Mon Oct 06, 2008 11:26 am

unspoken was a good track, i saw them a lot on their first tour, problem was andy delaneys voice wasn't in tune that often.

rubicon reunion would be good, bring it on
Blessed be
Zoonchild77
Psychonaut

Post by Zoonchild77 » Mon Oct 06, 2008 8:19 pm

"Rivers" and "On your side" is best Rubicon tracks.
Rubicon reunion? That we'll be great but first i'm waiting for Eden House album and Yates album. And new Last Rites album.
xseawitch
Watcher

Post by xseawitch » Mon Oct 06, 2008 10:34 pm

WolfLover wrote:'What Starts Ends'

I've been enjoying the album recently too ;-) and I agree the vocals are good, remind me of Ian Astbury and other rock vocalists I like so that's in its favour. At the time it came out I hated what I heard (again a question of expectations, I so wanted it to be mind blowingly brilliant and it wasn't going to live up to that), but as time has passed I have to say it's a fine album.

However, the only track that has reminded me that most of the band were the Nephilim was 'Unspoken' ( for the bass line I think) which is currently my favourite. Doesn't have the special ingredient, but very pleasing.