Sumerland is Dead

Keep talking.

Moderators: Morphic, Blue Angel, The Fallen Ones

Circe
Moonchild

Sumerland is Dead

Post by Circe » Wed Sep 23, 2020 12:29 pm

This is my first post, been into the Neph since 1987: Checking out this great fansite http://sumerland.devin.com/ and got this message via a link https://lithub.com/we-cant-ignore-h-p-l ... supremacy/! For goodness sake, Lovecraft was born in 1890, things were different back then, cannot understand why the admin pulled the site because of racism et al. I am curious to know what members here think about this? I think it is a little pathetic that they tar FOTN with the same brush!
markandre13
Leviathan

Re: Sumerland is Dead

Post by markandre13 » Fri Sep 25, 2020 7:42 pm

For goodness sake, Lovecraft was born in 1890, things were different back then...
Were they?

For me, 20 years ago, references to racism in Lovecraft's stories added to the horror: the archaic horror of xenophobia created by man himself.
That thing of the past, which humanity had finally learned to overcome to regain paradise on earth again...
Well, these days, that specific horror has risen from the shadows again and, this is the real shock to me, we are having trouble to get it's mascot out of office.
I think it is a little pathetic that they tar FOTN with the same brush!
I would see that rather as a reference to the former Lovecraft related content on Sumerland, than to FOTN.
"It's probably better to have him inside the tent pissing out, than outside the tent pissing in." -- Lyndon B. Johnson
Circe
Moonchild

Re: Sumerland is Dead

Post by Circe » Sat Sep 26, 2020 9:27 pm

I think it is a little pathetic that they tar FOTN with the same brush!
I would see that rather as a reference to the former Lovecraft related content on Sumerland, than to FOTN.[/quote]
Aah, you are probably right, I must have missed that content, thank you for the reply