German Tour March 2016

Past and present concerts. Keep on talking about memories from the past, or about the gigs that are up and coming.

Moderators: Morphic, Blue Angel, The Fallen Ones

Emmanüel-Obsküre
Psychonaut

Re: German Tour March 2016

Post by Emmanüel-Obsküre » Fri Mar 18, 2016 10:26 am

Dravid, thak you VERY much for this detailed and interesting report.
Personnally I appreciate Tom Edward's way of playing, so let's see what happens on the further live dates.

Nevertheless : I feel really surprised to see the pre-release sample was not available at this first show. I have a few (partial) explanations coming from here or there but well - I don't really understand. Has the merch team kept some fans names/e-mail addresses present at the show so they could order their individual CD-copies then ? Have you seen something like this, or an announcement, official explanation at the venue... something ? I worry about the final availability of the product, cause it was the first to be released in the announced plan...
"The true revolution is in mind, remember that & all else shines" (1334)
www.myspace.com/emmanuel_hennequin
MintyTheCat
Moonchild

Post by MintyTheCat » Fri Mar 18, 2016 10:29 am

Calm down, most likely logistic issues. It is all mud tracks and villages in Bavaria, rest assured that we have a proper infrastructure in the rest of Germany :)
Emmanüel-Obsküre
Psychonaut

Post by Emmanüel-Obsküre » Fri Mar 18, 2016 10:34 am

Suddenly, I feel relaxed. :mrgreen:
No, seriously - I'd really like to know if someone present at the first show has a concrete / official information on this matter.
"The true revolution is in mind, remember that & all else shines" (1334)
www.myspace.com/emmanuel_hennequin
MintyTheCat
Moonchild

Post by MintyTheCat » Fri Mar 18, 2016 10:37 am

Emmanüel-Obsküre wrote:Suddenly, I feel relaxed. :mrgreen:
No, seriously, I'd really like to know if someone present at the first show has a concrete . official information on this matter.
I am the only member of the group whom I usually go to gigs with who is going so I will be getting them all a copy of whatever is up for sale, I can do the same for you at whatever the price they offer at. Nothing is truly 'rare' these days and there is no point in freaking out :)

I had read that there would be a Vinyl and a CD and had planned on buying both. If it is not available it will appear in due course. For now we have a new song at least but I heard it a few years ago for the first time and liked it then and like it more now :)
ww
Moonchild

Post by ww » Fri Mar 18, 2016 1:20 pm

the merch guy said "it is not ready yet, we did not get it" and that it is available as download.....
I was looking forward to buying new physical music product as it was announced and then there is none, just the very expensive shirts and mugs and a signed photograph etc.
Plus they did not bother to announce (on FB) that the CD will not be available, typical behaviour.

the gig was great, the beginning with Dawnrazor/Moonchild/For Her Light and then Love Under Will absolutely fantastic and Last Exit was superb, too.
The new instrumental weaves some nice magic, too.
Prophecy is too much Penetration-like for me but the heaviness is cool in a live setting.
Anubis
Moonchild

Post by Anubis » Fri Mar 18, 2016 2:00 pm

Me for my part i am very looking forward to see them live again in Köln *notworthy*

Really curious about Prophecy live , i am listening to this really a lot and its
in my opinion a fantastic result.

Makes me waiting for more good songs *notworthy*

And always agood liveband when i saw them in the past!!

Great Setlist in Munich - good songs - iam glad i decided to seethem live
Anubis
Moonchild

Post by Anubis » Sun Mar 20, 2016 12:52 am

Back from a very Fantastic Fields Of The Nephilim Liveshow in Köln.
Prophecy (new Song) live was unbelivable great !
And a fantastic Setlist.

Unbelivable how theyvplayed live...iam still flashed!! *notworthy*

THANK YOU FOTN !!
*notworthy*
Anubis
Moonchild

Post by Anubis » Sun Mar 20, 2016 11:01 am

Setlist Köin (sold out)

1 24th moment
2 Dawnrazor
3 Moonchild
4 For Her Light
5 Love Under Will
6 From The Fire
7 ZOON
8 Psychonaut
9 Equinox
10 Prophecy

Encore 1 Last Exit For The Lost
Encore 2 Mourning Sun

They played fantastic and i love Prophecy live!
Dravid
Moonchild

Post by Dravid » Sun Mar 20, 2016 11:39 am

Very good gig! Even better than Munich despite the many similarities. Very crowded. It was in fact sold out (though not at the time when it was posted, the last six tickets sold either on the day before or of the concert).

Setlist identical to Munich with the exception that the band came on stage a second time to play Mourning Sun as a further encore.

Shame that the merch is almost sold out. They should have taken way more with them.

Overall, the sound was very good, definitely better than in Munich (I was standing at a similar place). Gav King a bit too far up in the mix at times (which did not serve his more experimental playing well with which he surprised me in Munich and which requires subtlety). Tom Edwards a bit further in the back soundwise (and I enjoyed his playing more than in Munich where the notes on the arpeggios often appeared cut-off because his left-hand fingerwork was not sufficiently sensitive; watch Paul live, e.g. on Sumerland!). Lee Newell ok again, attempting to adjust to Nephilim. Tony brilliant. Unlike Munich, however, I did not pay as much attention to GK, TE, LN nor even Tony and was primarily focused on Carl today, due to his performance (which had seemed a tad disintereted in Munich at times). Today he was possibly better than I have ever seen him before. Not only his voice about which I could remark at least the same as for Munich. On top of this, I simply can't remember having seen him being into the songs as much at any other gig. He acted them out today (but not at all in an inauthentic theatrical way). Even though the audience was only marginally more alive than in Munich. Apart from the end of Last Exit a bit of dancing also to Zoon. No towers, no pit.

A few erratic notes on some of the songs:

Moonchild: The one track I have been bored of at gigs. Not because of anything inherent to the music, but because of it being so omnipresent. Yet in Cologne, like in Munich already, it was one of my highlights.

For Her Light: Fine, but a bit rushed and unstructured like on all renditions after the original hiatus.

Zoon: In Munich GK seemed to feel at home most during Zoon. Today I had the same impression about TE. The one Nefilim track I already enjoyed in 93. Tony really adds to it.

Love Under Will: Again Gav's lowpoint. The sound of his guitar was distubring here, way too warm, and he struggled with the arpeggios. Don't get me wrong: He played a very strong gig again, and he convinced me for the second time after Munich that he is at the right place. Which is just why I now believe that he could do better. And needs to do better on Love Under Will.

Psychonaut: How Carl and Tony pulled this off was otherworldly! Carl even moved and walked the stage, something I usually don't care for, but it was part of his thorough involvment with the songs this night which was what drew attention to him. I'm sure any video footage that might surface will make clear what I mean. Anyways, this was the highlight in a strong show.

Equinox: Unfortunately the sound a bit mushy (the only time this happened during the gig). Still good, but the nuances of this track only shine through when the instruments don't blend into each other. And the only song on which Carl (during his, so far limited, contribution) seemed rather disinterested. I believe he is not only mumbling along, but actually singing some lyrics and I think I might have made out the beginning, but am too uncertain yet to post it.

Prophecy: How Ironic: To me this sounds like Nephilim trodding in NFD's footsteps. Others are enthusiastic about the track and mention parallels to the band's first singles. I don't get this at all and will need to give it a few more very close listenings. Carl ended with an enthusiastic "Thank you!" that was missing in Munich.

Last Exit: Together with Psychonaut an absolute highlight. And Cologne was special: The acceleration worked! It seemed as if Lee was going to go too fast, noticed, and then did well. I just wish that Gav would also follow the subtle rythmic structure Pete used on the ebow part and which seems essential to me for getting into the trance-like state (by slowing down the heartbeat, whether actually or just in my imagination and feeling) and which is the basis for the subsequent transformation into ecstasy. Not to forget: Tony as awesome as on Psychonaut.

Mourning Sun: I wish the encores would have been played the other way round since LE to me is the best song EVER and nothing can top it in terms of a finale. Needles to say it was a treat to have MS as an additional encore. Carl even smiled towards the end and left stage with the usual "Thank you!" and "Good night!"

Before the tour I had some hopes I would get to hear Vet (since it was played in England at the end of last year). Shame that there doesn't seem to be real song variation on this tour. But cool that I received another setlist, so no regrets anymore that the one I had been handed in Munich was snatched from me.

In Cologne a few more of the regular followers were present. Fabulous to get together with some friends I hadn't seen for a long time and to meet others with whom so far I had only been in touch by email at best.

Not bad at all up to now: A good show in Munich and a very good one in Cologne. And I have high hopes that tonight is going to top this and be great. Which now primarily depends on the audience. Shout out to Berlin: Let's show those carneval folks from Cologne what it means to celebrate a Nephilim show! :twisted: *cthulhu*
Anubis
Moonchild

Post by Anubis » Sun Mar 20, 2016 2:19 pm

Yes, Carl smiled a Lot , and he seemed to enjoy the audience . *notworthy*

I stood in the second row right before him :twisted:

He seemed happy that the audience liked Prophecy very much .

Hope they will do more good new songs and come back soon .
zev
Psychonaut

Post by zev » Sun Mar 20, 2016 3:47 pm

Dravid wrote:Very good gig! Even better than Munich despite the many similarities. Very crowded. It was in fact sold out (though not at the time when it was posted, the last six tickets sold either on the day before or of the concert).

Setlist identical to Munich with the exception that the band came on stage a second time to play Mourning Sun as a further encore.

Shame that the merch is almost sold out. They should have taken way more with them.

Overall, the sound was very good, definitely better than in Munich (I was standing at a similar place). Gav King a bit too far up in the mix at times (which did not serve his more experimental playing well with which he surprised me in Munich and which requires subtlety). Tom Edwards a bit further in the back soundwise (and I enjoyed his playing more than in Munich where the notes on the arpeggios often appeared cut-off because his left-hand fingerwork was not sufficiently sensitive; watch Paul live, e.g. on Sumerland!). Lee Newell ok again, attempting to adjust to Nephilim. Tony brilliant. Unlike Munich, however, I did not pay as much attention to GK, TE, LN nor even Tony and was primarily focused on Carl today, due to his performance (which had seemed a tad disintereted in Munich at times). Today he was possibly better than I have ever seen him before. Not only his voice about which I could remark at least the same as for Munich. On top of this, I simply can't remember having seen him being into the songs as much at any other gig. He acted them out today (but not at all in an inauthentic theatrical way). Even though the audience was only marginally more alive than in Munich. Apart from the end of Last Exit a bit of dancing also to Zoon. No towers, no pit.

A few erratic notes on some of the songs:

Moonchild: The one track I have been bored of at gigs. Not because of anything inherent to the music, but because of it being so omnipresent. Yet in Cologne, like in Munich already, it was one of my highlights.

For Her Light: Fine, but a bit rushed and unstructured like on all renditions after the original hiatus.

Zoon: In Munich GK seemed to feel at home most during Zoon. Today I had the same impression about TE. The one Nefilim track I already enjoyed in 93. Tony really adds to it.

Love Under Will: Again Gav's lowpoint. The sound of his guitar was distubring here, way too warm, and he struggled with the arpeggios. Don't get me wrong: He played a very strong gig again, and he convinced me for the second time after Munich that he is at the right place. Which is just why I now believe that he could do better. And needs to do better on Love Under Will.

Psychonaut: How Carl and Tony pulled this off was otherworldly! Carl even moved and walked the stage, something I usually don't care for, but it was part of his thorough involvment with the songs this night which was what drew attention to him. I'm sure any video footage that might surface will make clear what I mean. Anyways, this was the highlight in a strong show.

Equinox: Unfortunately the sound a bit mushy (the only time this happened during the gig). Still good, but the nuances of this track only shine through when the instruments don't blend into each other. And the only song on which Carl (during his, so far limited, contribution) seemed rather disinterested. I believe he is not only mumbling along, but actually singing some lyrics and I think I might have made out the beginning, but am too uncertain yet to post it.

Prophecy: How Ironic: To me this sounds like Nephilim trodding in NFD's footsteps. Others are enthusiastic about the track and mention parallels to the band's first singles. I don't get this at all and will need to give it a few more very close listenings. Carl ended with an enthusiastic "Thank you!" that was missing in Munich.

Last Exit: Together with Psychonaut an absolute highlight. And Cologne was special: The acceleration worked! It seemed as if Lee was going to go too fast, noticed, and then did well. I just wish that Gav would also follow the subtle rythmic structure Pete used on the ebow part and which seems essential to me for getting into the trance-like state (by slowing down the heartbeat, whether actually or just in my imagination and feeling) and which is the basis for the subsequent transformation into ecstasy. Not to forget: Tony as awesome as on Psychonaut.

Mourning Sun: I wish the encores would have been played the other way round since LE to me is the best song EVER and nothing can top it in terms of a finale. Needles to say it was a treat to have MS as an additional encore. Carl even smiled towards the end and left stage with the usual "Thank you!" and "Good night!"

Before the tour I had some hopes I would get to hear Vet (since it was played in England at the end of last year). Shame that there doesn't seem to be real song variation on this tour. But cool that I received another setlist, so no regrets anymore that the one I had been handed in Munich was snatched from me.

In Cologne a few more of the regular followers were present. Fabulous to get together with some friends I hadn't seen for a long time and to meet others with whom so far I had only been in touch by email at best.

Not bad at all up to now: A good show in Munich and a very good one in Cologne. And I have high hopes that tonight is going to top this and be great. Which now primarily depends on the audience. Shout out to Berlin: Let's show those carneval folks from Cologne what it means to celebrate a Nephilim show! :twisted: *cthulhu*
Thanks for your review! *notworthy* *notworthy* *notworthy*
oldnephilim
Nephilim

Post by oldnephilim » Sun Mar 20, 2016 4:37 pm

The entire cologne gig is on you tube (single files) very good quality

search for "nephilim keulen"
“The Nephilim were on the earth in those days, and also afterward, when the sons of God came in to the daughters of man and they bore children to them. These were the mighty men who were of old, the men of renown.”
Anubis
Moonchild

Post by Anubis » Thu Mar 24, 2016 8:45 am

Very good Review of the Fantastic Köln Liveshow here :

http://www.reflectionsofdarkness.com/ar ... logne-2016

Some very good photos from Köln :

http://www.black-cat-net.de/galerie/mus ... 19-03-2016

*notworthy*
Dravid
Moonchild

Post by Dravid » Mon Mar 28, 2016 8:59 pm

A little belated because of some travelling, but finally a few notes I put down after the Berlin gig.

Overall the tour was great fun. Very good shows, cool people, old friends, new faces, great nights out. I'm just not sure if I could still have done more than the three gigs :oops:

When arriving at the C-Club in Berlin, tickets were still on sale. In fact the day before I had heard that plenty were still available. Upon entering my first thought was that this is the smallest venue I have ever seen the Nephs play. Well, I was told Porto and Lyss were even smaller. But this was Berlin :shock: The Postbahnhof where they played in 2013 had already been a major step down from the Huxley's (Christman Ball 2010) and hadn't sold out. But if I think of Eissporthalle 1990 (or the Bizarre Festival at the Loreley to which many went just because of the Nephs), then Carl's 1991 decision to put an end to the real Nephs appears ridiculous business-wise. They were on the verge of a major breakthrough in Germany and would presumably play arenas today Andrew Eldritch can only dream of. On the other hand, I actually like club gigs quite a lot and this might have been the closest I might ever get to see Nephilim perform a club show.

This was the first concert at which I arrived before Frank the Baptist went on stage. Not many people there at first, but it did fill up and got crowded before the Nephs played. No new merch. Tony was at the bar next to the merch (which was in a separate room) before the gig, talking to a few people.

For the show I got to stand at a similar place again. The stage was very small and for the first time I could watch Tony very well. Not many detailed notes on this gig, however, because apart from many things being similar to the nights before anyways, Berlin, first and foremost, was about dancing: finally there was a pit (beginning with Moonchild)! Those I talked to who had also been to other gigs on this tour clearly thought Berlin was best. In one sense I fully agree: Though nothing compared the the fantastic SBE 14 shows (the only ones in England I have been to), it was fun not to literally stand throughout the gig. There's no mystery to why I caught a cold :wink:

Setlist:
24th Moment
Dawnrazor
Moonchild
For Her Light
Love Under Will
From The Fire
Zoon Pt 3
Psychonaut
Mourning Sun
-------------------------------
Equinox
Prophecy
Last Exit For The Lost

The sound was similar to Munich or just a notch below until there were some issues from Mourning Sun on (on Equinox, e.g., I could hardly hear Carl sing). Further, in Cologne Carl appeared kind of melted together with the songs, more like their living embodiment than their performer. In Berlin, however, he seemed to be enjoying the show even more, smiling a lot during his performance.

Maybe I possess great powers I wasn't aware of so far *cthulhu* : After my critical remark on the acceleration in Last Exit in Munich, it worked in Cologne and it did so again in Berlin. Wow! Twice in a row, that is rare. Moreoever, while I had some critical thoughts on the previous shows about For Her Light being rushed and Gav's performance of Love Under WIll (while being VERY good overall on this tour), there were no issues with his guitar sound on the latter in Berlin (not sure if he used different effects or it this was due to the lesser, but still good, sound or whether I just didn't pay sufficient attention due to dancing). And For Her Light was a highlight. Even though I'd prefer it not to be broken up and to be performed in full instead, and although my judgement might be tainted because of dancing, I believe this was the best rendition I've heard live since 1990.

But sound and all such details were absolutely secondary this night. Not even a few local grumpy cranks in the first row obviously unaware of which band they were at could in any way impair the fun of the pit. And, finally, at the end of Last Exit we had a tower! A well known forum member helped to show that Berlin knows how to celebrate a Nephilim show. Not all things mini weigh accordingly, however. My shoulder complained for more than a day :wink:

Ready for the next show! Let's see when and where since I won't be doing any festivals anymore to see the Nephs. Too risky. So hoping for some more proper concerts.

And now looking forward to Pete Yates at Leipzig! I'm sure he'll have the promised CDr with him :mrgreen:
Anubis
Moonchild

Post by Anubis » Tue Mar 29, 2016 8:53 pm

Dravid
Moonchild

Post by Dravid » Thu Mar 31, 2016 4:16 pm

The first Berlin video I could find:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xWCFjmbhv5g

Thanks for uploading!
ojopaj
Watcher

Post by ojopaj » Mon Apr 04, 2016 1:29 am

dear lord this band is just a sad shadow of its former self :(
"Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity." — Robert J. Hanlon
markandre13
Leviathan

Post by markandre13 » Mon Apr 04, 2016 10:37 pm

ojopaj wrote:dear lord this band is just a sad shadow of its former self :(
it was brilliant in 3d! :D
"It's probably better to have him inside the tent pissing out, than outside the tent pissing in." -- Lyndon B. Johnson
Anubis
Moonchild

Post by Anubis » Mon Apr 04, 2016 10:55 pm

markandre13 wrote:
ojopaj wrote:dear lord this band is just a sad shadow of its former self :(
it was brilliant in 3d! :D

FOTN in 3D sooo great live !!!!! And the Audience in 3 D ......wow :mrgreen:
goyless
Psychonaut

Post by goyless » Wed Apr 13, 2016 4:48 pm

Anyone has any links to the photos from Berlin? Couldn't find any! Some crew guy was also taking some pictures from the stage but I couldn't find those either...
Gargoyles rock!