Neph Lyrics You Adore

Discuss about the albums and videos the band has released over the years. The band we are talking about here is of course F.O.T.N. and not side-projects, similar bands etc. Please use other sections if you want to talk about the weather.

Moderators: Morphic, Blue Angel, The Fallen Ones

Pandora Panorama
Psychonaut

Post by Pandora Panorama » Sun Feb 03, 2008 3:42 am

for me it always was
/only ONE dream survives
/being cut before
referring to the fact that when we wake up we only can remember one dream. The Dawnrazor being the waking up that cuts through consciousness and separates the dreamed life from the wake life.
There is no truth prior to fiction.
Bau
Nephilim

Post by Bau » Sun Feb 03, 2008 5:16 am

Pandora Panorama wrote:for me it always was
/only ONE dream survives
/being cut before
referring to the fact that when we wake up we only can remember one dream. The Dawnrazor being the waking up that cuts through consciousness and separates the dreamed life from the wake life.
reminds me of waking up from a beautiful dream, and reality is the nightmare. Like if you ever lost someone you realy loved and were attached to and you dream they are with you, your all happy and relieved, then you wake up.
gilgamesh
Watcher

Post by gilgamesh » Sun Feb 03, 2008 7:47 pm

I've seen those "brush their skin" lyrics before, bit I'm not convinced. When you look at the lyrics of the official site, the last word looks like "star",-"Dawnrazor's formed the rest and the star" seems to come out of that funny calligraphy, but some of it is an illegible as the spoken version is indecipherable!
Lord Mureth
Nephilim

Post by Lord Mureth » Sun Feb 03, 2008 8:02 pm

And for my cloth ears twas always:

When in dreams have I
been cut before...
When in dreams have I
been lost before...

Oh Dawnrazor sound of violins
recalling cutthroat razors sins...

Where did I put my eardrops???! :shock:
wild bill buttock
Nephilim

Post by wild bill buttock » Sun Feb 03, 2008 8:58 pm

I'm not convinced either.And I posted it. *whistle*
If you put a search in for Neph lyrics, there is quite a few sites and the only things they agree on are the lyrics printed on the albums The Nephilim and Elizium.
I remember reading somewhere that Smalls has a bit of a chuckle to himself when he reads other peoples interpretations of his lyrics.
We could all have it all wrong and perhaps there really is nothing mystical at all about The Neph's lyrics and "Dawnrazor" really is as mundane as a bloke that's fed up with having to have a shave every morning, "Blue water" is about the crapper pan after you've flushed with one of those "Loo Bloo" toilet freshner things, "Trees come down" is about a tyre gauge, and "Sumerland" is about Butlins *whistle*
It could all be a case of the Andrew Eldritch "I can make reading my shopping list sound scary" syndrome.
In all seriousness though, I like the idea that a lot of McCoy's lyrics are Indecipherable. It adds a dimension to the music that can make it anything you want it to be.
Lord Mureth
Nephilim

Post by Lord Mureth » Sun Feb 03, 2008 11:19 pm

Back to Psychonaut...

It's a little known fact that, on the 1994 demos (when they were toying with sumerian mythology), the Spice Girls included a similar chant.

'zi dingir zigur zig ahh'

Only in this case, all recording equipment spontaneously combusted in horror, and the demo was lost for ever, only to be resurrected a few years later in a more poppy format.

I'll get me (crushed velvet) coat... :wink:
Drazor
Moonchild

Post by Drazor » Mon Feb 04, 2008 9:16 am

gilgamesh wrote:I've seen those "brush their skin" lyrics before, bit I'm not convinced. When you look at the lyrics of the official site, the last word looks like "star",-"Dawnrazor's formed the rest and the star" seems to come out of that funny calligraphy, but some of it is an illegible as the spoken version is indecipherable!
Gilgamesh,

I am guessing here, but having nearly 20 years to ponder this, I am fairly certain that it says "Dawnrazor's formed the CREST and the Star".

I think that song is primarily about the morning star (Venus) and here is a link that seems to be related to the "mythos" of the song. Venus being related to or synonymous with Lucifer (it does say "Our Dark Angel's born") and the dawn star. There is probably a Sumerian equivalent to the Greeks in the link:

http://www.theoi.com/Titan/AsterEosphoros.html

Read all the citations, especially those near the very bottom.

It does seem to tie in to the song pretty well.
Elisium Fields
Watcher

Post by Elisium Fields » Mon Feb 04, 2008 3:54 pm

wild bill buttock wrote: In all seriousness though, I like the idea that a lot of McCoy's lyrics are Indecipherable. It adds a dimension to the music that can make it anything you want it to be.
Perfectly put WBB..............it is the unique nature of his lyrics which add that extra dimension in my opinion.
"I stand alone, inside you.....I stand alone, the skys bruised..........."
Gressil
Moonchild

Re: Neph Lyrics You Adore

Post by Gressil » Thu Feb 07, 2008 9:12 am

Blue Angel wrote:Ok, background to this thread is quite simple...

Neph lyrics you adore... not whole songs or albums or anything like that but just those one or two words perhaps, just snippets, or maybe even a line or two, that, for whatever reason when you hear them the hairs on the back of your neck stand up. Maybe you just think about them for no apparent reason as you go about your day ar maybe you're waiting to hear them as a song begins... whatever let's hear about them...

I'll give you a very easy starter for ten... two words that get me every time and I often find myself singing them to myself in my head for no reason I can fathom...

Pray Now
depending on my mood any of the following :-

' i'll end this moment to be with you'
'take me to the dream'
'a cry from the top of the spire'
'your living in danger'
'closer and closer'
'do you not believe'
'shapes of angels so deep within you'

*notworthy*
Perennite
Psychonaut

Post by Perennite » Thu Feb 07, 2008 1:08 pm

"Wake me from my ancient slumber"
"Borrowed body, borrowed soul, borrowed mind"
Silent Watcher
Ezekial
Moonchild

Post by Ezekial » Thu Feb 07, 2008 10:52 pm

I agree with Blue. Often I find myself saying them in my head

PRAY NOW *smoking* *notworthy*

Those 2 words in Carl's voice are just fcuking amazing and kind of disturbing....!
Zoonchild77
Psychonaut

Post by Zoonchild77 » Thu Feb 07, 2008 11:11 pm

For me is "We must suffer to free our pain"
GreboGoth
Dawnrazor

Post by GreboGoth » Thu Feb 07, 2008 11:21 pm

Zoonchild77 wrote:For me is "We must suffer to free our pain"
Right song but the line that does it for me is:-

"Through morphic oceans, I'd lay here with you"
Zoonchild77
Psychonaut

Post by Zoonchild77 » Thu Feb 07, 2008 11:33 pm

Hmm or maybe "From this malestrom Free are you..."
I think the whole WOS/ATWYHBA has a great lyrics
Poison Ivy

Post by Poison Ivy » Fri Apr 18, 2008 12:29 pm

As I suffer a strong fixation on ZOON since last weekend :wink: so I add my:

1) 'LISTEN!!!' - scream from 'Penetration', I play it out laud and atomic bomb exploses in my head everytime :mrgreen:

2) 'I can't let go!'- from 'Shine', well I truly can not let go, wonder how it is with him now...and:
'Winter without me, seems so beautiful. (the winter...)' - also from 'Shine' - i listen it since 7 days before I go to sleep.

3) 'Out of nowhere
You even know my name -
But, it will never, ever be the same' -Zoon offcourse...

Damn, damn, damn, what a shame I was underage in 1993....an could not see it played live :cry: :cry: :cry:
I feel like I missed the perfect time, and now is to late :cry:
Bau
Nephilim

Post by Bau » Fri Apr 18, 2008 3:50 pm

Poison Ivy wrote:As I suffer a strong fixation on ZOON since last weekend :wink: so I add my:

1) 'LISTEN!!!' - scream from 'Penetration', I play it out laud and atomic bomb exploses in my head everytime :mrgreen:
AHHAHAA! :lol:

check out my other post....

viewtopic.php?t=1183&start=200
Lord Mureth
Nephilim

Post by Lord Mureth » Fri Apr 18, 2008 4:28 pm

Poison Ivy wrote:
2) 'I can't let go!'- from 'Shine', well I truly can not let go, wonder how it is with him now...and:
'Winter without me, seems so beautiful. (the winter...)' - also from 'Shine' - i listen it since 7 days before I go to sleep.
Uuuummmmm.... let me get this straight. You've been awake for 7 days, listening to Shine????!!!! It's a good song, but.... :shock:
Poison Ivy

Post by Poison Ivy » Mon Apr 21, 2008 10:26 am

Uuuummmmm.... let me get this straight. You've been awake for 7 days, listening to Shine????!!!! It's a good song, but.... :shock:
Oh Lord, so my English sux :mrgreen:
Some time ago, I managed to stay 3 days and 4 nights without a sleep, than I had a vision of black maelstrom pooling me in, surly I do not want to repeat that :lol:

After weekend I have another piece of song hounting me:

Say,
I would wait for you!
Say,
Take control of you!

*cthulhu*
Lord Mureth
Nephilim

Post by Lord Mureth » Mon Apr 21, 2008 3:12 pm

Poison Ivy wrote: Oh Lord, so my English sux :mrgreen:
Well... it's a damn site better than my Polish! :lol:
BlackSun
Dawnrazor

Post by BlackSun » Mon Apr 21, 2008 10:02 pm

Well... it's a damn site better than my Polish!
'ere Lordy... whats a tin o kiwi shoe shine gotta do wif it??? :whistle: