The problem with Elizium is...

Discuss about the albums and videos the band has released over the years. The band we are talking about here is of course F.O.T.N. and not side-projects, similar bands etc. Please use other sections if you want to talk about the weather.

Moderators: Morphic, Blue Angel, The Fallen Ones

gingerpazuzu
Nephilim

Post by gingerpazuzu » Sat Mar 21, 2009 11:09 pm

*notworthy* *notworthy* *notworthy* You star! :D *cthulhu*
Mark Anthony Quested
Leviathan

Re: The problem with Elizium is...

Post by Mark Anthony Quested » Thu Mar 26, 2009 9:18 am

morphicfields wrote:What to listen to after it?
I have this problem every time I listen to it, I am really getting into it and chilling like a beaut and then it ends :|
Rather than just hitting repeat what do you peeps listen to after Elizium?
I think the problem with Elizium is Sumerland. The album version is far too long, in my opinion. Other than that, it is good.

For my own personal usage, I recently burned the Elizium album and Sumerland single to my PC and created my own version of Elizium. In short, I replaced the Sumerland album version with the 12" single version, which is my preferred version. It sounds better to me.

I thoroughly enjoyed hearing "Wail of Sumer / And there will your heart be also" at SBE last year! I was like a happy pig in sugar!!!

MQ
Yours, aye!

Mark Anthony Quested
Facebook - http://www.facebook.com/markanthonyquested
Twitter - Mark Anthony Quested @MAQuested
"He posts, in confusion!"
morphicfields

Post by morphicfields » Thu Mar 26, 2009 1:35 pm

Mark Anthony Quested wrote:I think the problem with Elizium is Sumerland. The album version is far too long, in my opinion. Other than that, it is good.
Totally disagree.
Mark Anthony Quested wrote:I replaced the Sumerland album version with the 12" single version, which is my preferred version. It sounds better to me.
I've done that, but I personally think the album version sits with the album better, which is obviously why that version is the one on the album.
Lord Mureth
Nephilim

Post by Lord Mureth » Thu Mar 26, 2009 8:27 pm

I waaaaaaaaaaaaaaay prefer the Earth Inferno version of Sumerland to the Album one.

Back on topic: What to listen to after Elizium? Lateralus would be a good start...
Mont Ventoux
Psychonaut

Post by Mont Ventoux » Thu Mar 26, 2009 9:08 pm

morphicfields wrote:
Mark Anthony Quested wrote:I think the problem with Elizium is Sumerland. The album version is far too long, in my opinion. Other than that, it is good.
Totally disagree.
Mark Anthony Quested wrote:I replaced the Sumerland album version with the 12" single version, which is my preferred version. It sounds better to me.
I've done that, but I personally think the album version sits with the album better, which is obviously why that version is the one on the album.
Totally agree with Morphic Fields.
If someone listen only single version of Sumerland, he could consider it as a normal song, nothing special on it.
The same thing worths for Psychonaut video version and Psychonaut Lib II.
Pandora Panorama
Psychonaut

Post by Pandora Panorama » Thu Mar 26, 2009 10:10 pm

I agree with all of you here, actually. I think that the dreamed version of Sumerland is better than the album version, but it does not fit so well into the album.
There is no truth prior to fiction.
Mark Anthony Quested
Leviathan

Post by Mark Anthony Quested » Fri Mar 27, 2009 8:54 am

morphicfields wrote:
Totally disagree.
Interestingly, I think one of Carl's criticisms of Elizium that some tracks were a bit too long for the sake of it, a bit too Pink Floydy.

We all have our own tastes, but I just think the album version is too long for my liking. I thought the 12" single version was just the right length, and I prefer the lyrics to the single than I do the album version. Individual taste, I guess.

(It is often quite interesting to hear early versions of tracks on bootleg concerts and comparing them with the final versions to see how they differ.)

MQ
Yours, aye!

Mark Anthony Quested
squishy
Nephilim

Post by squishy » Fri Mar 27, 2009 9:41 am

Mark Anthony Quested wrote:Interestingly, I think one of Carl's criticisms of Elizium that some tracks were a bit too long for the sake of it, a bit too Pink Floydy
Yes, he said that, refering to the middle part of the album, which would be Submission and Sumerland, I guess. I don't think these tracks are nearly as Floyidish as WOS/ATWYHBA, though. And anyway, consider She/Mourning Sun: he doesn't like his songs to be too Floydish, right :roll: :roll: :roll:
remember what the doorknob said
Pandora Panorama
Psychonaut

Post by Pandora Panorama » Fri Mar 27, 2009 10:48 am

Carl also said that he likes how Submission turned out, that it kept the menace and angryness that it was supposed to have...
There is no truth prior to fiction.
Mont Ventoux
Psychonaut

Post by Mont Ventoux » Fri Mar 27, 2009 1:23 pm

squishy wrote:
Mark Anthony Quested wrote:Interestingly, I think one of Carl's criticisms of Elizium that some tracks were a bit too long for the sake of it, a bit too Pink Floydy
Yes, he said that, refering to the middle part of the album, which would be Submission and Sumerland, I guess. I don't think these tracks are nearly as Floyidish as WOS/ATWYHBA, though. And anyway, consider She/Mourning Sun: he doesn't like his songs to be too Floydish, right :roll: :roll: :roll:
Sumerland and At the Gates of silent memory also. Infact he have never played it live with the new line-up.
He says that he doesn't like stay too much time without singing, infact Sumerland live lasted eight minutes on Earth Inferno and on live from Dusseldorf for example, against eleven on Elizium.
And I have a bootleg (Town and Country Club 29-4-1991) where they cut ATWYHBA after 3.40 minutes.

The problem is that ATGOSM and Sumerland are two of my best five Nephilim tracks ever :) :oops:
This is a reason why I prefer always studio album :)
Last edited by Mont Ventoux on Fri Mar 27, 2009 8:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ojopaj
Watcher

Post by ojopaj » Fri Mar 27, 2009 4:52 pm

I'll tell you the real problem w/ Elizium - too much keyboarding. It hasn't aged well I don't think. I'd love to hear a re-mix of this album, with the keyboards further down in the mix; the guitars higher in the mix; and overall less swirly reverb. It's just about 10% too much. And all the compression & reverb on some of the guitars kinda takes the edge off them too much - kinda like they have no balls. ;) I mean, the guitar riff from the last part of Sumerland is a balls-out, badass, rawkin riff - yet it's smoothed out too much and made way too tame.

Sorry for all the balls references. But seriously, I'd love to hear a slightly remixed version of this album. Or at least a good remaster with more bass. Something! :mrgreen:
"Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity." — Robert J. Hanlon
wild bill buttock
Nephilim

Post by wild bill buttock » Fri Mar 27, 2009 5:26 pm

I think it could definately do with re-mastering but then again all the albums could do with it.
No fault of the band, producers, engineers etc, it's just late 80's CDs are utterly shite sound quality wise compared with modern CDs.
You'd have thought beggars banquet would have spotted the chance to re-issue them last year and cash in while FOTN were biggish news really.
WolfLover
Dawnrazor

Post by WolfLover » Fri Mar 27, 2009 10:06 pm

Mark Anthony Quested wrote:
I think the problem with Elizium is Sumerland. The album version is far too long, in my opinion. Other than that, it is good.

For my own personal usage, I recently burned the Elizium album and Sumerland single to my PC and created my own version of Elizium. In short, I replaced the Sumerland album version with the 12" single version, which is my preferred version. It sounds better to me.

I thoroughly enjoyed hearing "Wail of Sumer / And there will your heart be also" at SBE last year! I was like a happy pig in sugar!!!

MQ
I pretty much done the same with my elizium, except that I love all versions of Sumerland. What I did however was beef up the volume, because AAD is waaaaay too low for me, and include the full version of For Her Light from revelations, also with the volume highered up.

wild bill buttock wrote:I think it could definately do with re-mastering but then again all the albums could do with it.
No fault of the band, producers, engineers etc, it's just late 80's CDs are utterly shite sound quality wise compared with modern CDs.
You'd have thought beggars banquet would have spotted the chance to re-issue them last year and cash in while FOTN were biggish news really.
I wish they were remasterd as well with a louder volume. But at the moment I'm very very happy with my customized versions (louder volume) of all the albums from Dawnrazor up to Revelations. :wink:
If you pass through my soul tonight
Gather all his troubles
Tomorrow's long with eternal night
Gather for tomorrow
When I'm gone wait here
Discover all of earth's surprises
When I'm gone wait here
I'll send my child my last good smile
Ande
Watcher

Post by Ande » Fri Mar 27, 2009 10:22 pm

wild bill buttock wrote:You'd have thought beggars banquet would have spotted the chance to re-issue them last year and cash in while FOTN were biggish news really.
Actually, they have reissued them within the last year, not that anybody would notice unless they had their magnifying glasses out... and their anoraks on...

Not remastered though...

Probably thinking they can squeeze out a few more "regular" sales before any remastered editions...

Sleipnir73
Watcher

Post by Sleipnir73 » Fri Mar 27, 2009 11:43 pm

gilgamesh wrote:Try Second Life Syndrome by Riverside or Glass Shadows by Mostly Autumn, or () by Sigur Ros or Brighter Than a Thousand Suns by Killing Joke which although not their best meshes surprisingly well with that ethereal state you get into after ATWYHBA fades out................
maybe that`s why "brighter than ..." is my favorite killing joke album=)
Just remember, wherever you go, there you are.

https://www.instagram.com/sleipnir73/
Sleipnir73
Watcher

Post by Sleipnir73 » Fri Mar 27, 2009 11:47 pm

morphicfields wrote:What to listen to after it?
I have this problem every time I listen to it, I am really getting into it and chilling like a beaut and then it ends :|
Rather than just hitting repeat what do you peeps listen to after Elizium?
after elizium i like to listen to something heavy also...but it has to continue the mood and the feeling from elizium...for me this is only achieved by neurosis` "a sun that never sets".

...it is kind of their (neurosis`) elizium so to speak;)
Just remember, wherever you go, there you are.

https://www.instagram.com/sleipnir73/
xseawitch
Watcher

Post by xseawitch » Sat Mar 28, 2009 11:07 pm

WolfLover wrote: I pretty much done the same with my elizium, except that I love all versions of Sumerland.
I love the dreamed version of Sumerland too, more than the album version. I do find myself drifting off whilst somewhere in the middle of Elizium and wondering when the time went, but that can be a good thing if the place it takes me to is an interesting place, which it generally is.

I can see Lateralus as a following album, I quite like Heaven is Waiting by the Danse Society or Occult by Opened Paradise myself. :-)
Mark Anthony Quested
Leviathan

Post by Mark Anthony Quested » Mon Mar 30, 2009 8:23 am

Ande wrote:
wild bill buttock wrote:You'd have thought beggars banquet would have spotted the chance to re-issue them last year and cash in while FOTN were biggish news really.
Actually, they have reissued them within the last year, not that anybody would notice unless they had their magnifying glasses out... and their anoraks on...

Not remastered though...

Probably thinking they can squeeze out a few more "regular" sales before any remastered editions...

A 25th anniversary box set would be nice! My fingers, toes and naughty bits are firmly crossed in vain hope!
Yours, aye!

Mark Anthony Quested
ned the otter
Watcher

Post by ned the otter » Mon Mar 30, 2009 8:08 pm

After Elizium I tend to stick on 'Far away trains passing by' by Ulrich Schnauss.

Superb album, - turn up the bass for the track 'Between us and them'

:D :D :D
'.....WE WELCOME YOUR FATE.....'
WolfLover
Dawnrazor

Post by WolfLover » Tue Aug 04, 2009 11:42 pm

Mark Anthony Quested wrote: I think the problem with Elizium is Sumerland. The album version is far too long, in my opinion. Other than that, it is good.

MQ
I've done something very similar. I was never happy with the album version of 'For Her Light', it ends too abruptly. What I did was put the longer and better version from 'Revelations' on it instead, and it sounds way better. :D That song is truly stunning, and why they ended it so quickly is beyond me.
If you pass through my soul tonight
Gather all his troubles
Tomorrow's long with eternal night
Gather for tomorrow
When I'm gone wait here
Discover all of earth's surprises
When I'm gone wait here
I'll send my child my last good smile