Carl McCoy, Criminally Under Rated, God of Metal

Discuss about the Nephilim, Nefilim, F.O.T.N. and other projects by Carl McCoy. Stay on-topic, all off-topic posts will either be deleted or moved to General Chat or elsewhere.

Moderators: Morphic, Blue Angel, The Fallen Ones

angry bob
Nephilim

Re: Carl McCoy, Criminally Under Rated, God of Metal

Post by angry bob » Fri Sep 04, 2009 7:52 pm

ThomasB wrote:
angry bob wrote: Fields were no metal. They were not goth either lol... They were unique band :) So were Nefilim :twisted:
Yep, if I remember well, they were quite surprised to be in the Goff bandwagon…
(Oops, this has been said, resaid and repeated countless times !)
But Nefilim WERE metal indeed. Though I never found any band sounding like 'em in terms of sheer emotion. In fact they could be the only real "Death metal" band. (Playing on lower chord than heavy stuff and using troll's growl instead of castrats was not "new" enough for mee. Black Sabbath did it much earlier and much better…
and louder*whistle* *whistle* )
I didnt say they were not metal. They were metal but not a metal band. Feel the difference? :mrgreen: I reckon, McCoy never intended to become a leader of a metal band. Obviously he was influenced by some certain bands at that time... but had the ability to turn it into something of his own. If people don't get it... it's not my problem hahaha
morning comes as light burning out my eyes
ThomasB
Nephilim

Post by ThomasB » Fri Sep 04, 2009 10:16 pm

-/quote]
I didnt say they were not metal. They were metal but not a metal band. Feel the difference? :mrgreen: I reckon, McCoy never intended to become a leader of a metal band. Obviously he was influenced by some certain bands at that time... but had the ability to turn it into something of his own. If people don't get it... it's not my problem hahaha[/quote]

Of course mate ! I was not saying you were wrong, just… expanding on what you said, Which I agreed with.
Bollocks, am I making any sense ? *whistle* :wink:
Fundraiser. You know, it's like Hellraiser, but without the Cenobites, the blood and all that.
IN NOMINE NEMO !
angry bob
Nephilim

Post by angry bob » Sat Sep 05, 2009 1:59 am

ThomasB wrote: Bollocks, am I making any sense ? *whistle* :wink:
So you got it now :lol: :wink:
NorthernNephilim
Nephilim

Post by NorthernNephilim » Sat Sep 05, 2009 9:36 am

Carl McCoy preview of new album leaked :lol:

squishy
Nephilim

Post by squishy » Sat Sep 05, 2009 10:38 am

angry bob wrote:I reckon current project/live band is not "metal" at all.
It certainly is not.
angry bob wrote:They're actually trying to be more Fields of the Nephilim than Fields of the Nephilim. Not only in terms of image obviously but sound as well.

If I understand you properly, I heartily disagree: no "original" line-up live sounded the way Amphi, or last year M'era Luna or Waregem, did. What Edwards brought to the band is an almost rockabilly guitar sound of those trademark arpeggios, and generally a much more relaxed approach than that of his "original" predecessor. The "original" FotN might have gone in that direction sometime around 1986/1987 - but didn't.
angry bob wrote:I can see too much winking in all that haha.

Perhaps, but the style of that winking is spaghetti, not Elizium or The Nephilim.
angry bob wrote:Really don't know why Carl is doing so...
Oh, it's easy: it sounds fecking good.
angry bob wrote:Fields were no metal. They were not goth either lol... They were unique band :) So were Nefilim :twisted:
Agreed.

(I really can't believe I'm posting in that thread :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: )
remember what the doorknob said
angry bob
Nephilim

Post by angry bob » Sat Sep 05, 2009 12:27 pm

Squishy why are you doing this to me? :lol:
squishy wrote:What Edwards brought to the band is an almost rockabilly guitar sound of those trademark arpeggios, and generally a much more relaxed approach than that of his "original" predecessor. The "original" FotN might have gone in that direction sometime around 1986/1987 - but didn't.
Like Elvis you mean? How cool is that! i love Elvis! Eh, wait... Are you trying to say they sound more dated than in 86? Well now i'm a bit confused and not quite sure i can handle that... But if Carl can that's ok then :mrgreen:
squishy wrote:Oh, it's easy: it sounds fecking good
You might be right... if they were actually playing their parts properly. You're at the gig, having fun, watching Carl lol... Then you get to listen to all these boots and you're like ouch...

But everyone cannot be pleased, can they... I like some stuff. I really do... Trees, From The Fire, Psychonaut(surprisingly). And truly hate some... Shine, Straight, Dawnrazor - massacre
Constantine
Moonchild

Post by Constantine » Sun Sep 06, 2009 2:10 am

i was merely referring to the myspace page which, amongst other things, says they are metal
angry bob wrote:
Constantine wrote:must agree with mr b on that one. carl's current project may be "metal" but the nephs never were
I reckon current project/live band is not "metal" at all. They're actually trying to be more Fields of the Nephilim than Fields of the Nephilim. Not only in terms of image obviously but sound as well. I can see too much winking in all that haha. Really don't know why Carl is doing so...

Old Nephs were never metal indeed. Having said that, their live sound after Elizium reached some sort of heaviness when it comes to guitars. Especially Peter Yates rhythm guitar. Just listen to EI's Dawnrazor. It is magnificent, powerful, and tons heavier than hundred metal bands. Paul wright also added a bit of more distortion to his sound. Great move to make sound more varied, with a sparkle. Wonder myself if that might have been Carls influence , which he then developed with Nefilim.

Fields were no metal. They were not goth either lol... They were unique band :) So were Nefilim :twisted:
ThomasB
Nephilim

Post by ThomasB » Sun Sep 06, 2009 9:12 am

Constantine wrote:i was merely referring to the myspace page which, amongst other things, says they are metal
Everybody says or think they are nowadays. In iTunes, strange things are labeled "metal", and on the concert page for the Combichrist concert, they were labeled "dark metal" :shock: :shock:
Go figure !
Fundraiser. You know, it's like Hellraiser, but without the Cenobites, the blood and all that.
IN NOMINE NEMO !
markandre13
Leviathan

Post by markandre13 » Tue Sep 08, 2009 8:17 am

Some of the officially unreleased stuff like Red 777 or Sensorium does indeed sound like metal. And it's great. But thinking in categories is a rather pitiful to cope with the chaos of the world. (Take me for example. I have 3 categories: Music I do not like, music I once liked and music I like.)
"It's probably better to have him inside the tent pissing out, than outside the tent pissing in." -- Lyndon B. Johnson
VisiGoth
Moonchild

Post by VisiGoth » Thu Sep 10, 2009 7:53 pm

Last three albums are metal. And good representations of it, although the band doesn't
recognize Fallen as an album, and Zoon is a side project he's quite good at it.

I think the Mourning Sun track is a metal masterpiece.
ThomasB
Nephilim

Post by ThomasB » Thu Sep 10, 2009 9:02 pm

markandre13 wrote:Some of the officially unreleased stuff like Red 777 or Sensorium does indeed sound like metal. And it's great. But thinking in categories is a rather pitiful to cope with the chaos of the world. (Take me for example. I have 3 categories: Music I do not like, music I once liked and music I like.)
…I like the way you think, mein Freund ! *notworthy* *notworthy* *notworthy*
Genre are only worth as shortcuts when you try to explain what your favourite band sounds like. Though nowadays, the magic of iPod makes it even less relevant : it's easier to say "wait, you'll just find out for yourself" ! *smoking*
(How many people have I converted to the magic and beauty of QNTAL this way…)
IN NOMINE NEMO !
wild bill buttock
Nephilim

Post by wild bill buttock » Thu Sep 10, 2009 11:21 pm

VisiGoth wrote:
I think the Mourning Sun track is a metal masterpiece.
And I think you are talking shite.
wild bill buttock
Nephilim

Post by wild bill buttock » Thu Sep 10, 2009 11:29 pm

ThomasB wrote:
markandre13 wrote:Some of the officially unreleased stuff like Red 777 or Sensorium does indeed sound like metal. And it's great. But thinking in categories is a rather pitiful to cope with the chaos of the world. (Take me for example. I have 3 categories: Music I do not like, music I once liked and music I like.)
…I like the way you think, mein Freund ! *notworthy* *notworthy* *notworthy*
Genre are only worth as shortcuts when you try to explain what your favourite band sounds like. Though nowadays, the magic of iPod makes it even less relevant : it's easier to say "wait, you'll just find out for yourself" ! *smoking*
(How many people have I converted to the magic and beauty of QNTAL this way…)
I'm looking forward to someone saying the usual cak whenever people bring up genres; "There is only two genres of music-Good music and bad music". Which is all very well but a bit of a fucker for musicians during interviews....
NME; "So Mr Artic Monkey, how would you describe your new album?"
Artic monkey bloke; "Well I'd like to think of it as mostly bad but we have been influenced a lot lately by totally appalling music and are looking to take on a fcuking dreadful sound into the live arena next year."
ThomasB
Nephilim

Post by ThomasB » Fri Sep 11, 2009 10:03 am

wild bill buttock wrote: I'm looking forward to someone saying the usual cak whenever people bring up genres; "There is only two genres of music-Good music and bad music". Which is all very well but a bit of a fucker for musicians during interviews....
There's a difference between "music I like/music I don't like" and "good/bad music". Which Führer decides what's good and what's bad ? Or is the best the one who sells most records/ringtones/whatever, as Big Business makes you believe ?
Though most people consider their own taste to be the absolute TRUTH !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! No discussion, no compromise. As Sir Winston said, "a fanatic is someone who won't change his mind and won't change the subject."
IN NOMINE NEMO !
Constantine
Moonchild

Post by Constantine » Fri Sep 11, 2009 10:15 am

there's a few fanatics on here, unfortunately
squishy
Nephilim

Post by squishy » Fri Sep 11, 2009 2:28 pm

angry bob wrote:Squishy why are you doing this to me? :lol:
squishy wrote:What Edwards brought to the band is an almost rockabilly guitar sound of those trademark arpeggios, and generally a much more relaxed approach than that of his "original" predecessor. The "original" FotN might have gone in that direction sometime around 1986/1987 - but didn't.
Like Elvis you mean? How cool is that! i love Elvis! Eh, wait... Are you trying to say they sound more dated than in 86? Well now i'm a bit confused and not quite sure i can handle that... But if Carl can that's ok then :mrgreen:
"Dated"? But they have never sounded "dated"! In fact, I don't get the concept of sounding "dated" unless you talk about the bands who actually try to sound like the overall sound of the decade. They, after some time, do sound dated - just like conscious revivalists do. But FotN - or Nefilim, for that matter - never have.

(Btw, the "rockabilly" element I referred to is just the guitar sound. Or so I thought. Come to think of it, McCoy's "thank-you-very-much-goodbye" is somewhat Presleyian - and I almost can see him turning aside from the mike right after Moonchild chorus to say "Mercy", in a true Roy Orbison style)

Are Elvis and Roy, the Greatest One and the Not So Very Great One, gods of metal too? Even if they aren't particularly underrated? I wonder.
angry bob wrote:
squishy wrote:Oh, it's easy: it sounds fecking good
You might be right... if they were actually playing their parts properly. You're at the gig, having fun, watching Carl lol... Then you get to listen to all these boots and you're like ouch...
I think they do play their parts properly - mostly, at least. The boots of the gigs after Tuska don't cause much pain to me . . .The last three ones are very good - or, rather, would be if they were properly audible. The band's performance at the gigs seems to have been very good, in other words.

The Snake guy was - is, I hope - a very, very nice surprise too.
angry bob wrote:I like some stuff. I really do... Trees, From The Fire, Psychonaut(surprisingly). And truly hate some... Shine, Straight, Dawnrazor - massacre
I'm a big fan of "new" live Dawnrazor and STTL; in fact, I'm a big fan of all "new" live versions - of Celebrate, Watchman, LEftL, From the Fire and Xiberia slightly more than others, I guess - bar, alas, Shine and For Her Light. They haven't played either since SBE, which might mean they know they've had some problems here. (Still, Edwards' parts were faultless in both tracks.)
remember what the doorknob said
KaosCrow
Moonchild

Post by KaosCrow » Fri Sep 11, 2009 4:25 pm

New band, old band; the same, different; better, worse; metal, goth; whatever
What the feck! FoTN still feckin rock and are the best feckin band on the planet!!!
"Nothing is true, it's all a load of b*//*cks"
Hassan ali Baba
markandre13
Leviathan

Post by markandre13 » Fri Sep 11, 2009 8:54 pm

KaosCrow wrote:New band, old band; the same, different; better, worse; metal, goth; whatever
What the feck! FoTN still feckin rock and are the best feckin band on the planet!!!
Yep. When I discovered FotN in '91, I thought "Rock is dead. And it sounds awesome!". *smoking*

But I think that the new line-up does not bond together as the founders. Maybe because they're not doing as much rehearsals and gigs. But on the other hand, that period between '83 and '91 must have been a very intense time and wearisome in the end so that a split became inescapable. When I listened to Rubicon, I thought "How would Carl sing this?" and when I listened to some Nefilim songs or the Mourning Sun record, I thought "How would Nod play on that?" ... :shock: Upsi. That's the wrong topic for this thread.

Nevertheless I even like the new band *notworthy*
"It's probably better to have him inside the tent pissing out, than outside the tent pissing in." -- Lyndon B. Johnson
wolfborn
Moonchild

Post by wolfborn » Sat Sep 12, 2009 6:44 pm

Carl should team up with Rob Halford, I think!
VisiGoth
Moonchild

Post by VisiGoth » Sat Sep 12, 2009 8:21 pm

"Dawnrazor" track is easily metal. "Slowkill" too. This new McCoy heavy style is by far the superior one. If they ever tried Elizium style again it would be a tragedy. Too many compromises in music these days, rock has really been milked by talentless contemporary commercial BS especially in America where
the musicians write commercials for Disney. In fact, MTV is all one big commercial. How many times can the same stuff be re-mastered and re-packaged? Anyway, there is no culture left in America, end of story.