Rubicon Live event 1992

Here within you discuss about the side-projects, i.e. the bands that has something to do with F.O.T.N. and doesn't include Carl McCoy on vocals.

Moderators: Blue Angel, The Fallen Ones

Ngie
Leviathan

Rubicon Live event 1992

Post by Ngie » Sat May 23, 2020 1:36 pm

An amazing live event of the past but new stuff for me :D , undusted on a Fields of the Nephilim facebook group :

Rubicon - Live Zeche Carl, Essen, Germany 30.11.92

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VbxwJ4RpOu4&t=1180s
Selena
Watcher

Re: Rubicon Live event 1992

Post by Selena » Thu Jun 04, 2020 6:50 pm

Very nice. *cthulhu*
Hat_Shades
Moonchild

Re: Rubicon Live event 1992

Post by Hat_Shades » Tue Sep 15, 2020 3:20 am

Ngie wrote:An amazing live event of the past but new stuff for me :D , undusted on a Fields of the Nephilim facebook group :

Rubicon - Live Zeche Carl, Essen, Germany 30.11.92

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VbxwJ4RpOu4&t=1180s
Excellent video which demonstrates what went wrong at the beginning.

A vocal direction towards a more ethereal Ian Astbury voice -- with the visuals of late-80s The Cult and borderline with Fates Warning.

Fits in with prog elements the band were toyng with at the time -- probably there is more insight to the split in this visual documentary.

In the sonic aspects of it.

It always struck me weird how anyone might think Carl would go for such mellow territory. Tormented demonic visions as allegories for the darker, harsher side of life [and death] would never work with prog guitars and new age arrangements [which were on the rise in the early 90s, remember that atrocious band called Dream Theater?]

Even weirder was how they abandoned THAT direction, too, for the misguided, 90s-bandwagon of a rock mess which is Room 101.

"Insatiable" is painful to listen to -- and even more painful to watch.

What was this supposed to achieve? Where is the focus, direction, vision?

This '92 gig demonstrates the fine chops of the musicians.

And Nod is thunderous , a vastly underrated helluva drummer.

And a vocalist, too, as proven years later, if only too "reminiscent" -- yes, the ghost proved impossible to "shake off".

Delany's style was closer to Yates' prog affections. No wonder their recent collaborations are remarkable. Hats off!

[not the shades, though!]