NFD

Guess this band doesn't need any closer presentation. If you don't know of them (shame on you) you should check them out immediately. They play live on a regular basis and release records.

Moderators: Blue Angel, The Fallen Ones

Quiff Boy
Moonchild

NFD

Post by Quiff Boy » Mon Aug 07, 2006 5:33 pm

nfd

www.nfd.web.com

with the original neph bassist, Tony Pettitt
nfd.web wrote:NFD have a distinguished rock background. They comprise Tony Pettitt, the Fields Of The Nephilim founder-bassist, who teamed up with vocalist/guitarist Peter ‘Bob’ White and drummer Simon Rippin when the Nephilim reunion floundered in 2002. Simon was previously in both The Nefilim and Fields of the Nephilim line-ups, as well as together with Bob in Sensorium. For live gigs they bring in two extra guitarists, Chris Milden and Steve Carey.
what do people think of them?

ok they're a bit copycat, but they're far by best offshoot to come out of the neph stable

for me, they're better than the real thing these days

more nephilim than nephilim :lol:

carl seems to have forgotten what a pop song is, and every track has a 20 minute intro :roll:

nfd use a more traditional song-writing model (much like the sisters used to do) where the song kicks in straight away, with a memorable guitar hook and a decent chorus

they arent afraid to belt out a great tune and dont feel the need to hide it behind a 10 minute intro and a 5 minute outro :roll:

they're great live, and really nice guys.

as "the neph" (ie: carl & whoever happens by at that moment) have evolved they have ventured further and further away from that kind of 3 and a half minute dance-floor filler, to the point now where their songs are so far up their backside that they merge into one long morass of synth pads & church bells... you'd have trouble saying which song is which until carl actually sings the title during the chorus :lol:
[iguana~DJ~slumber~product~telephone~wavelength]
wild bill buttock
Nephilim

Post by wild bill buttock » Mon Aug 07, 2006 9:11 pm

Love the new album "Dead pool rising",Brilliant stuff that in the true Neph spirit gets better on every listen.A very close run thing against "Mourning sun" I think.
Hated the first album,too much metal for me.

Have a look at this http://youtube.com/watch?v=WHpX8yFHvxo&search=nfd

Where's me talcum powder?
d00mw0lf
Watcher

Post by d00mw0lf » Tue Aug 08, 2006 5:29 pm

Love NFD - As the Quiffster said - more Nephilim than The Nephilim! 8)
Dead pool rising was fab, but a bit on the "difficult second album" (was it their second?) side - not quite as fab as "No Love Lost" - but I might change my mind after seeing some of the new tracks live...
They've left the Elysian fields behind and bought a Barratt's Home
Nic
The Watchman

Post by Nic » Tue Aug 08, 2006 9:16 pm

wild bill buttock wrote:Love the new album "Dead pool rising",Brilliant stuff that in the true Neph spirit gets better on every listen.A very close run thing against "Mourning sun" I think.
Hated the first album,too much metal for me.

Have a look at this http://youtube.com/watch?v=WHpX8yFHvxo&search=nfd

Where's me talcum powder?
Yeah that is a really nice song! 8)
When routine bites hard and ambitions are low...
scotty
Knottyash Mosh Squader

Post by scotty » Tue Aug 08, 2006 10:42 pm

What's it stand for then........NFD?
"This time I will have my own way...
...This time I am going to take my prize"
d00mw0lf
Watcher

Post by d00mw0lf » Tue Aug 08, 2006 11:21 pm

I seem to remember someone saying "Noise For Destruction" but that could be bollocks.
They've left the Elysian fields behind and bought a Barratt's Home
Don
Dawnrazor

Post by Don » Thu Aug 10, 2006 12:46 pm

Have to say I'm undecided at the moment, but I've only heard the "Break The Silence" E.P.
If they play within a hundred miles or so of me I might well check them out. I'd quite like to see what Last Rites has to offer, too.
You Will Treat Her Like A Cure

www.leon-steelgrave.com
Quiff Boy
Moonchild

Post by Quiff Boy » Thu Aug 10, 2006 1:15 pm

"break the silence" is pretty early stuff... they've come on a long way. check out "light my way" from their latest album 8)
Quiff Boy
Moonchild

Post by Quiff Boy » Thu Aug 10, 2006 2:07 pm

kazamel
Psychonaut

Re: NFD

Post by kazamel » Thu Aug 10, 2006 2:20 pm

Quiff Boy wrote:for me, they're better than the real thing these days

carl seems to have forgotten what a pop song is, and every track has a 20 minute intro :roll:

nfd use a more traditional song-writing model (much like the sisters used to do) where the song kicks in straight away, with a memorable guitar hook and a decent chorus
so i guess their material sounds closer to the album the nephilim or even dawnrazor then to elizium? or not?
I like these calm little moments before the storm. It reminds me of Beethoven. Can you hear it? It's like when you put your head to the grass and you can hear the growin' and you can hear the insects.
Quiff Boy
Moonchild

Post by Quiff Boy » Thu Aug 10, 2006 2:55 pm

kazamel wrote:
Quiff Boy wrote:for me, they're better than the real thing these days

so i guess their material sounds closer to the album the nephilim or even dawnrazor then to elizium? or not?
nephilim/elysium production & sound, yeah, but with pretty immediate songs (apart from one or two long epic affairs)...
Pale Rider
Dawnrazor

Post by Pale Rider » Sun Aug 13, 2006 3:13 pm

I actually had a real problem with Bob's vocals back in the early (Sensorium) days, however I stuck with it and went to see NFD live. They were/are great - NFD very obviously love what they're doing and their enthusiasm is infectious! And of course, when you become familar with them you start to wonder why you ever thought Bob was copying Carl the first place as they are quite different!
J3A5
Moonchild

NFD

Post by J3A5 » Sun Aug 13, 2006 4:22 pm

scotty wrote:What's it stand for then........NFD?
"Nearly Fifty Darling"

"No fcuking Dancing"

"Nose For Darla"

:P
Coma
Psychonaut

Post by Coma » Mon Aug 14, 2006 3:57 am

d00mw0lf wrote:I seem to remember someone saying "Noise For Destruction" but that could be bollocks.
I'm sure Jungles press release mentioned Noise for Destruction but later Bob posted an esoteric message on the forums that it was something else. :?
spiral66
Moonchild

Post by spiral66 » Tue Aug 15, 2006 8:35 pm

Nasty Fat Dentist
J3A5
Moonchild

Post by J3A5 » Wed Aug 16, 2006 12:50 am

:oops: oops, Spiral ... :twisted:

there was an audio interview with them online where Tony was speaking and it did originally mean Noise For Destruction, but the band dropped the meaning....the running joke in the clip became "need fcuking drugs".
Coma
Psychonaut

Post by Coma » Wed Aug 16, 2006 1:30 am

Mr Google seems to think its Nodal Fault Diagnostics. Obviously a typo from Mr Google as surely its Noodle Fault Diagnostic. :)
Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere.
Lord of the Night
Psychonaut

Post by Lord of the Night » Wed Aug 16, 2006 3:16 pm

Live they are fcuking great .
Saw them recently in that Goff hotbed Weston-super-mare . Nice .
See you down the front
spiral66
Moonchild

Post by spiral66 » Thu Aug 17, 2006 12:54 pm

Dead Pool Rising is a really strong album which I love, accessible goth-rock that is as strong as anything by the Neph. They are a real band in that they all contribute something unique. The other posts are spot on when they say they are obviously enjoying what they do, it infuses their music with vibrancy and power.

It's obvious that the band members all brought their own skills to the Neph brew, it made 'The Nephilim' such a great album. Now Carl is shorn of them we can see that he excels at the slow to build soundscape.

Both approaches are relevant, Carl is in more of a prog-goth vein?