lollipop magazine Mourning Sun interview

Interviews with the band, Carl McCoy and/or various band members. Transcribed and translated interviews are most welcome.

Moderators: Morphic, Blue Angel, The Fallen Ones

WolfyBauwow
Psychonaut

lollipop magazine Mourning Sun interview

Post by WolfyBauwow » Sat Jan 25, 2020 3:51 pm

I know this is an old interview but I searched and had not seen it posted so here you go

https://lollipopmagazine.com/2006/10/fi ... interview/
WolfyBauwow
Psychonaut

Re: lollipop magazine Mourning Sun interview

Post by WolfyBauwow » Sat Jan 25, 2020 6:05 pm

We’d take planes, trains, and automobiles, but get everywhere too late.
so that explains it..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cmg3nlAPVK8
They sent out the hounds for you?
No, they didn’t, actually. We were totally out of communication with them.
why am I not surprised
Yeah, The Bee Gees are a big influence on The Nephilim.
I knew it! lol

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t-ppLfRgWto
But now and then I have a big blowout and forget everything and go off into one for a few days with a big drink
binge drinking? :(
Yeah, I’m pretty good with extremes. Either full on work, or… I don’t relax much. I’m not a good sleeper.
That can be rough. Sounds like the autistic person in my care. way extremes , hyperfocus, excess in everything, terrible sleep problems restlessness ,general and social anxiety. Not saying Carl is autistic! just commenting Ive learned about those issues first hand, and what some people are challenged with, and that I've noticed in my studies on them that these traits tend to go hand in hand for many people. I think a lot of creative people have a sort of extreme of emotions actions and aspects to who they are. I know I do. Some people do have mild aspergers and dont know it. But a person would have to have other traits and symptoms.
Bad dreams?
Whole life’s a big bad dream, I think. I dream in the daytime.
:cry: aww that make me so sad for him he feels that way about life. Wishing him happy dreams.

As a result of my head injury I had terrible chronic nightmares for about a year after, It was brutal. So glad THAT stopped!
Life can be very bad indeed. But there is so much good too. Depends on where you direct your attention and how you shape it. inspite of my hard life, my daydreams are all like rainbows, unicorns and icecream lol
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JBA72OcB_TI

I sure would love a REAL chopper instead of a dream one but knowing me I just end up flipping it doing wheelies like I did on my Yamaha, I was racing with a friend on a highway and we stopped at a light, I opened it wide in first gear and my throttle stuck. My bike went flying out from under me, leaving me on my ass in the street and it went careening up the road. I lost te tank bolt so the tank and seat flew off and the skeleton on the back was broken in peices all over the road. People were freaking cause it looked like a massacre! haha ...too extreme?? lol
too bad, I LOVED that bike. RIP Max.

Carl rides, I wonder why there have never been any photos of his?

Mostly, my inspiration has been quite visual. I’ve got nice pictures painted in my mind about what I want to achieve.
I find this very interesting . I did this test for synestisia and have a bit of that , and I was reading that often musicians have this. Sounds like Carl may. I get the same thing where music is always conjuring up images for me. Thats why I really love doing artwork and video production for my music. Also why I always envision a sound track to my posts haha

here is a video on the subject. The connections touched upon seem to apply to how people can form unhealthy and/or deviant connections to things as well.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vSWSDnXDbHU
There’s a journey that I need to take, and obviously, bringing a daughter into the world, you have to be serious about what you’re doing. Life’s not just a joke.
Well said and so true!! Good he understood this. I bet he has been a great dad. *notworthy* *notworthy* *notworthy*

There is fun and then there is Taking Care Of Business. Having our fun is great, but we shouldn't put our selfish desires over the people who enter our life who need our help and care. They deserve fun too. It is our responsibility, our kuleana pono. As we lift them up we elevate ourselves. The choice is ours.

Journeys we have to take.
Sometimes things don't work out how WE want. The road we planned to take ended up full of pot holes and detours. Sometimes rock slides and boulders that totally divert us. But if we werent diverted we would miss out on all the amazing things waiting for us on that road less traveled. Though we sadly miss out on our original desired path, it leads to some very important things we needed to find to shape our character and destiny. We can either be angry and bitter or embrace the adventure that lies ahead. And think of all the glorious talkstory you've then got to share at the end of the run where you meet again as the detour ends, as things come full circle better than you had planned. Ride on.
Ngie
Leviathan

Post by Ngie » Tue Jan 28, 2020 11:37 pm

Thank you Bau for drawing our attention to this interview which I do not remember ever reading neither being acknowledged of its content.

about your question : -Carl rides, I wonder why there have never been any photos of his?
- He would'nt want to be recognized by his bike with which he used to fuse away at the speed of the wind (a shadowy one) running safely away after the gigs around London before the audiance would even take notice he'd left.

About his vocal style "quite a natural approach.../... not a lot I can do about that "
- To stop smoking and drinking would change much more than his voice.

FOTN are the first band that I've known to borrow Country Western into the darker stuff. They should be noticed and remembered for that if it matters.

As far as I'm concerned, since 2011, I've put my feet in the country (line-dancing) which I really enjoy whereas the nephilim is no longer of high interest to me as I tend to see it as something about falling in the dark and dreaming of mirages in the desert of one's lost soul.
Passion over suffering? Yes with heart and reason.

How does Mourning Sun differ from your previous work?
<It’s part of the same journey, but it’s kind of the conclusion.

:|
WolfyBauwow
Psychonaut

Post by WolfyBauwow » Wed Jan 29, 2020 2:49 pm

Ngie wrote:Thank you Bau for drawing our attention to this interview which I do not remember ever reading neither being acknowledged of its content.

about your question : -Carl rides, I wonder why there have never been any photos of his?
- He would'nt want to be recognized by his bike with which he used to fuse away at the speed of the wind (a shadowy one) running safely away after the gigs around London before the audiance would even take notice he'd left.

About his vocal style "quite a natural approach.../... not a lot I can do about that "

FOTN are the first band that I've known to borrow Country Western into the darker stuff. They should be noticed and remembered for that if it matters.

As far as I'm concerned, since 2011, I've put my feet in the country (line-dancing) which I really enjoy whereas the nephilim is no longer of high interest to me as I tend to see it as something about falling in the dark and dreaming of mirages in the desert of one's lost soul.
Passion over suffering? Yes with heart and reason.

How does Mourning Sun differ from your previous work?
<It’s part of the same journey, but it’s kind of the conclusion.

:|

Thats a good point Ngie. Its good to keep some things hidden and a separation there from what he does with FOTN and the rest of his life I suppose. I guess it's that way with some artists whose show is just an act. They are playing a character on stage. For Carl I guess it is the zombie preacher man from the Blue Water video. Or the 'hat man' shadow person.

https://www.ranker.com/list/phantom-hat ... rin-mccann

I wrote a song inspired by this story, a little FOTN influence, and things on precognative dreams and astral projection. In my song the 'hat man' is not a shadow person, but a real person who is dreaming about this girl, unknown to him, and doesn't realize he is appearing to her as this scary 'vision'.

https://www.reverbnation.com/aliceaxe/s ... 63-dreamer

I believe I read somewhere that the unique deep sound of his voice was from a throut injury when young.
But I do agree, the poisons like smoking and drinking are not to his or anyones advantage. Realizing this, I myself cut them out of my life long ago. It's just not in my instinct.

Kind of difficult for them to not be associated with country western when they dressed as cowboys and used spaghetti western sounds and imagery :lol: I love it and think its very original to combine that with the heavy sounds and spooky image. It works.

yes like the Uriah Heep song "choices" That I posted in another post."Passion over Pain". A wise choice sister. dance on

I am confused with that comment also. Mourning Sun doesn't seem like a conclusion to me. More like shift from the dark side more 'strait into the light' :wink: Perhaps this is why things started to change and FOTN were on the upswing. But it seems there were still many dark forces holding them back. But I guess that is the ying and yang. Opposing forces.

I like how you colored your post, pretty, I should try that. But I always get carried away with things and my posts will start looking like a psychadelic rainbow which will annoy people even more hee hee :P
WolfyBauwow
Psychonaut

Post by WolfyBauwow » Thu Jan 30, 2020 3:21 pm

WolfyBauwow wrote:Though we sadly miss out on our original desired path, it leads to some very important things we needed to find to shape our character and destiny. We can either be angry and bitter or embrace the adventure that lies ahead. And think of all the glorious talkstory you've then got to share at the end of the run where you meet again as the detour ends, as things come full circle better than you had planned. Ride on.
feeling some of that selfish sadness today of missing out many things on the road I didn't take. But I was out of petrol. :cry:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qh9J0k14eqI

Things like FOTN concerts, my own as my band was another thing to die, trip to Hawaii. But to do such things takes money I've never had. And no one to help me. But atleast I haven't been totaly alone. Neither has this guy no matter what he says. After all he has been hanging out with the Scorpions. At least he too had a big polynesian warrior as protection.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OYjZK_6i37M

As mentioned in another post as to what happened with this board etc,
It could be financial challenges have been a big part of why things weren't delivered from FOTN such as a new album?
From the sound of things Carl produced Mourning Sun mostly on his own. Perhaps that was easier than trying to get this new album made with the coordinating and paying all these new people with their own other projects, and combined with trying to gig at the same time etc? That can spread people too thin. Perhaps the support wasn't there from Trancend to realize the intended outcome?

I've found that recording on my own is definately easier to get music created than managing a band. Well, doing most things by myself is more rewarding. MOST things. :oops: I rather do like some colaberation if I can have it. I would have loved to collaborate with Carl, we could have made beautiful music together. But I never got the invite. *whistle* Well perhaps he didn't know how to use PM or email :roll: :evil:

This seems to be the biggest factor in getting things accomplished for most ventures, if you don't have the capitol or backing. Or funds are not handled properly. When I started my business I had a dream about my dad (who had just died) in which he said simply to me, "it's not what you take in , it's what you put out" One of the best pieces of biz advice I'd heard
A biz can survive with a low generated income, but not being careful of 'hidden' costs and cash output and quality output can put you in the hole quick. My bro runs a biz too and talked about this.

You have to keep on top of things or they snowball into a mess. I know this too well, in the past years because of 2 car accidents, and the resulting brain injurys, plus Lyme and chemo fog, I could barely think straight and its been hell doing ANYTHING. it's caused me worlds of problems. Murphys law, my nemesis, too and all that may have plagued FOTN by the sound of this interview and their travel troubles..

In my own experience what I found prohibiting when managing my band, when I was gigging, the hug pay to play scam that most of the venues on the east coast took on was absurd. I dont know how things are done across the pond, but here they were expecting bands to buy up huge blocks of tickets in the sum of thousands, expecting the band to sell all the tickets on their own and venues put in 1% effort and the venues would give the gigs to the bands that were the highest bidders. And everyone down the line takes a cut of anything you make which was just a fraction of the ticket price. I'd see bands do this and it all being for naught.
We got an in road with an agent who got us a gig with Anthrax, got offers for Overkill, Wasp, but they started hitting us with these prepay high ticket counts and I became really sick again to the point of grand mal seizures and that was that. I guess I could have still played, I usualy did anyway no matter how sick, and could just have pretended it was part of the show...
WolfyBauwow
Psychonaut

Post by WolfyBauwow » Sat Feb 01, 2020 5:22 pm

Ngie wrote:

|
this man made good use of his smoking habit with a smoke bubble act. he is a good performer. I thought you might enjoy this.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pDhryITm7hc
But I doubt that it was profitable enough to pay for the resulting medical bills. As wouldn't for a singer that would use smoking to get a gruff voice. Besides, real growls come from the proper vocal technique as explained by many good vocal coaches. Mine came naturaly, I was born a growler :P