The Nephs in german "Gothic Magazine 70"

Interviews with the band, Carl McCoy and/or various band members. Transcribed and translated interviews are most welcome.

Moderators: Morphic, Blue Angel, The Fallen Ones

Farkas
Watcher

The Nephs in german "Gothic Magazine 70"

Post by Farkas » Mon Jan 31, 2011 7:22 pm

the german "Gothic Magazine" (no.70, Winterausgabe 2011) has an interview with McCoy...
Carl answered some questions. Taken before the berlin christmas-ball-gig...
cant scan atm...

important things:
- dvd is ready and will be released (no date announcent)
- no backstage footage on the dvd
- recording a new album has priorities in 2011
Mark Anthony Quested
Leviathan

Re: The Nephs in german "Gothic Magazine 70"

Post by Mark Anthony Quested » Mon Jan 31, 2011 9:50 pm

Farkas wrote:the german "Gothic Magazine" (no.70, Winterausgabe 2011) has an interview with McCoy...
cant scan atm...

important things:
Thank you for the news. :mrgreen: *notworthy*
Yours, aye!

Mark Anthony Quested
Facebook - http://www.facebook.com/markanthonyquested
Twitter - Mark Anthony Quested @MAQuested
"He posts, in confusion!"
squishy
Nephilim

Post by squishy » Tue Feb 01, 2011 10:27 am

Farkas wrote:the german "Gothic Magazine" (no.70, Winterausgabe 2011) has an interview with McCoy...
cant scan atm...

important things:
Laughed myself to death.
remember what the doorknob said
Mark Anthony Quested
Leviathan

Post by Mark Anthony Quested » Tue Feb 01, 2011 10:38 am

squishy wrote:
cant scan atm...

important things:
Laughed myself to death.
I'm a trained NHS first aider; would you like me to give you CPR? :mrgreen:
Yours, aye!

Mark Anthony Quested
NorthernNephilim
Nephilim

Post by NorthernNephilim » Tue Feb 01, 2011 10:57 am

Farkas wrote: important things:

But thanks for the info, heading to the shop ...
ThomasB
Nephilim

Post by ThomasB » Tue Feb 01, 2011 12:06 pm

Farkas wrote: important things:

Hm…
Hehe
Heh heh.
Hee hee hee hee hee hee hee hee hee hee hee hee hee hee hee hee hee hee hee hee hee hee hee hee hee hee hee hee hee hee hee hee hee hee hee hee hee hee hee hee hee hee hee hee hee hee hee hee hee hee hee hee hee hee hee hee hee hee hee *COUGH* *COUGH* *COUGH* *COUGH* *COUGH*
Gee, that was a good one !
(wipes eyes) Priorities. Whee.
:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Fundraiser. You know, it's like Hellraiser, but without the Cenobites, the blood and all that.
IN NOMINE NEMO !
weebleswobble
BayWatcher

Post by weebleswobble » Tue Feb 01, 2011 12:41 pm

Carl McCoy: Saying fcuk All since 2009
The first bit sounds like Bruce Wayne, and the second bit sounds like Batman.
Disharmonic
Psychonaut

Post by Disharmonic » Tue Feb 01, 2011 5:03 pm

“Thank you very much, especially the Dawnrazors”
Mark Anthony Quested
Leviathan

Post by Mark Anthony Quested » Tue Feb 01, 2011 8:52 pm

weebleswobble wrote:Carl McCoy: Saying fcuk All since 2009
A new Sheerfaith t-shirt design? :mrgreen: *notworthy*
Yours, aye!

Mark Anthony Quested
NorthernNephilim
Nephilim

Post by NorthernNephilim » Wed Feb 02, 2011 3:07 pm

a part of the interview:

MCCoy: Other´s don´t know who i am - even i still don´t know sometimes who i am

:?
baba
Watcher

Post by baba » Wed Feb 02, 2011 3:30 pm

i can relate to that saying,
does anyone know themselves fully?
Many believe they do.
many fans believe they know him *whistle*
Some people do know who I am.
my sleeve is full of blood.

could someone please post a full translation of the interview?
Enoch
Dawnrazor

Post by Enoch » Wed Feb 09, 2011 12:43 am

If noone else does this before I find the time: I'll do it^^ As a little appetiser (or to spoil any appetite xD) I can offer a first part of the introduction. This writer really has no translation in mind when he writes his senteces that are absolutely horrifying for a translator ;) Here you go:

"Maybe we should boost the second guitar a little, but I'm not sure. What do you think?" chief mystician CARL McCOY asks his tourmanager after a short soundcheck on his way to the backstage area. About seven hours later, the charismatic pioneer of gothic rock together with his newly formed cult band FIELDS OF THE NEPHILIM will put the audience of the Berlin Christmas Ball festival into an instant trance in a flash - and at the same time casually demonstrate once more, how fine the line between genious and insanity is on the fields of the angels. GOTHIC Magazine met the introverted FOTN visionary to an exclusive private conversation.

FIELDS OF THE NEPHILIM - a name, forever connected to a certain sound, a certain look, a certain image of mystery-mongering, often copied after the groundbreaking gothic institution was founded in the mid-80ies, but never even remotely reached. A hardly tangible myth in an unreal neverland between cult and kitsch, atmospherically charged apocalyptic rock and bizarre rituals, between spiritual awakening and flour dusted egomania. Similar to a pseudo-occult midnight screening of a mental movie shortly before closing hour, in which Ennio Morricone re-picturises the Old Testament, or Aleister Crowley plays his very own remake of "Once Upon a Time in the West". Just how decisively FIELDS OF THE NEPHILIM coined the subculture that they helped giving birth to at the time, with just five studio recordings (?) that advanced to milestones during their two and a half decades of changeful, shadowy or foggy exsitence, is immediately clear after even a short glance at the hardcore loyal pilgrims following from gig to gig in their distinctive selfmade McCOY regalia.
What began about 25 years ago with the immortal classics like "Preacher Man", "Last Exit for the Lost", "Moonchild", "Psychonaut" or "For Her Light", in 2011 still magically fascinates the grown [also: aged ;) can't really translate this joke] and just as much the grown-again generation of fans. Explaning chaos theories for this almost unchanged popularity of the British cutting-edge gothic rockers can be outlined in very few words: authenticity, passion and timelessness - immovable cornerstones of an underground phenomenon. While the former usual supects of the vanishing Dark Wave dinosaurs have either dissolved or follwed the zeitgeist up to being unrecognizable, FIELDS OF THE NEPHILIM resist any change. While THE CURE have, step by step, settled with antidepressant stadium pop, SIOUXIE & THE BANSHEES and BAUHAUS have split up looking for indivual success, CHRISTIAN DEATH have mutated to a roistering audio stress test and WAYNE HUSSEY after the overdue burial of THE MISSION now officially given in to his love for hard liquor and bar stools, mastermind CARL McCOY and his seemingly superhuman fulltime lifework FIELDS OF THE NEPHILIM seem to have removed themselves from all usual laws of nature and other rules. Standing still as a conceptually cultivated stylistic device in a very own pace of creation, that should justify one or another longtime news embargo or delays of releases between five and ten years.
Night obliterates the day and all the fun begins
The Damned - Curtain Call

Citizen of a nation otherwise populated mainly by blinded, brain damaged xenophobes
gilgamesh
Watcher

Post by gilgamesh » Wed Feb 09, 2011 9:15 am

Thx Enoch :D
angry bob
Nephilim

Post by angry bob » Wed Feb 09, 2011 2:04 pm

Enoch wrote:If noone else does this before I find the time: I'll do it^^ As a little appetiser (or to spoil any appetite xD) I can offer a first part of the introduction. This writer really has no translation in mind when he writes his senteces that are absolutely horrifying for a translator ;) Here you go:

"Maybe we should boost the second guitar a little, but I'm not sure. What do you think?" chief mystician CARL McCOY asks his tourmanager after a short soundcheck on his way to the backstage area. About seven hours later, the charismatic pioneer of gothic rock together with his newly formed cult band FIELDS OF THE NEPHILIM will put the audience of the Berlin Christmas Ball festival into an instant trance in a flash - and at the same time casually demonstrate once more, how fine the line between genious and insanity is on the fields of the angels. GOTHIC Magazine met the introverted FOTN visionary to an exclusive private conversation.

FIELDS OF THE NEPHILIM - a name, forever connected to a certain sound, a certain look, a certain image of mystery-mongering, often copied after the groundbreaking gothic institution was founded in the mid-80ies, but never even remotely reached. A hardly tangible myth in an unreal neverland between cult and kitsch, atmospherically charged apocalyptic rock and bizarre rituals, between spiritual awakening and flour dusted egomania. Similar to a pseudo-occult midnight screening of a mental movie shortly before closing hour, in which Ennio Morricone re-picturises the Old Testament, or Aleister Crowley plays his very own remake of "Once Upon a Time in the West". Just how decisively FIELDS OF THE NEPHILIM coined the subculture that they helped giving birth to at the time, with just five studio recordings (?) that advanced to milestones during their two and a half decades of changeful, shadowy or foggy exsitence, is immediately clear after even a short glance at the hardcore loyal pilgrims following from gig to gig in their distinctive selfmade McCOY regalia.
What began about 25 years ago with the immortal classics like "Preacher Man", "Last Exit for the Lost", "Moonchild", "Psychonaut" or "For Her Light", in 2011 still magically fascinates the grown [also: aged ;) can't really translate this joke] and just as much the grown-again generation of fans. Explaning chaos theories for this almost unchanged popularity of the British cutting-edge gothic rockers can be outlined in very few words: authenticity, passion and timelessness - immovable cornerstones of an underground phenomenon. While the former usual supects of the vanishing Dark Wave dinosaurs have either dissolved or follwed the zeitgeist up to being unrecognizable, FIELDS OF THE NEPHILIM resist any change. While THE CURE have, step by step, settled with antidepressant stadium pop, SIOUXIE & THE BANSHEES and BAUHAUS have split up looking for indivual success, CHRISTIAN DEATH have mutated to a roistering audio stress test and WAYNE HUSSEY after the overdue burial of THE MISSION now officially given in to his love for hard liquor and bar stools, mastermind CARL McCOY and his seemingly superhuman fulltime lifework FIELDS OF THE NEPHILIM seem to have removed themselves from all usual laws of nature and other rules. Standing still as a conceptually cultivated stylistic device in a very own pace of creation, that should justify one or another longtime news embargo or delays of releases between five and ten years.
this is so bullshitting it actually becomes unbearable to read after few lines... that is the reason why McCoy is not very keen on meeting his fans, doing interviews, touring, exposing himself to the music industry... someone needs to get a life. i mean what are they thinking... i reckon the man himself is much more chilled and down to earth than most of neph fans, and never had such thoughts after reading the best and taking the finest...and i bet after hearing something like this the only reaction would be 'i'm going for a fag, and give me a beer' :laugh:
On the other hand i believe it's a nice feeling being aware that people out there kinda cherish you,lift your status above the average...of course, as long as you take it with a pinch of salt, and you can keep yourself in the position to avoid situations when you have to face them approaching and telling you 'oh bless me with your superhuman outstretched arms'

Tell me this not real, but just a pile of pompous cynicism :evil:
morning comes as light burning out my eyes
squishy
Nephilim

Post by squishy » Wed Feb 09, 2011 3:00 pm

Much as I love FotN, I must say that to compare favourably FotN's overall output and role in the still ongoing evolution of the post-punk/Gothic/Dark Wave/call-it-what-you-will scene to the creative output and significance of The Banshees or even The Mission (do The Cure really belong here?) is insanity. FotN in those respects are much, much closer to The Sisters, I'm afraid.
remember what the doorknob said
Ngie
Leviathan

Post by Ngie » Wed Feb 09, 2011 4:10 pm

Thank you very much Enoch for translating for us that fun and pleasant to read excerpt of 'Gothic Magazine 70".

angry bob wrote:
Enoch wrote:If noone else does this before I find the time: I'll do it^^ As a little appetiser (or to spoil any appetite xD) I can offer a first part of the introduction. This writer really has no translation in mind when he writes his senteces that are absolutely horrifying for a translator ;) Here you go:

this is so bullshitting it actually becomes unbearable to read after few lines... that is the reason why McCoy is not very keen on meeting his fans, doing interviews, touring, exposing himself to the music industry... someone needs to get a life. i mean what are they thinking... i reckon the man himself is much more chilled and down to earth than most of neph fans, and never had such thoughts after reading the best and taking the finest...and i bet after hearing something like this the only reaction would be 'i'm going for a fag, and give me a beer' :laugh:
On the other hand i believe it's a nice feeling being aware that people out there kinda cherish you,lift your status above the average...of course, as long as you take it with a pinch of salt, and you can keep yourself in the position to avoid situations when you have to face them approaching and telling you 'oh bless me with your superhuman outstretched arms'

Tell me this not real, but just a pile of pompous cynicism :evil:
AngryBob you're faithfull to yourself as usual with this last corrosive incisive comment from your frustration :wink: .
May he believe what you're saying, I believe that not every fan lifts his status above the average. As for being blessed with superhuman outstretched arms, as long as I can consider myself human, to speak Frankly, I am personaly satisfied with human 'pet' arms rather than with any 'super' 'outstretched' stuff whatever you imagine.. ala Mister Fantastic for instance?

BTW if I remember well Hee would obviously feel closer to Johnny Storm : Image :lol:
ThomasB
Nephilim

Post by ThomasB » Wed Feb 09, 2011 4:29 pm

Question : Can you be a fan without falling into obsessive hero worship ?

You have one hour, then I releave the copies…
*smoking* :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Fundraiser. You know, it's like Hellraiser, but without the Cenobites, the blood and all that.
IN NOMINE NEMO !
weebleswobble
BayWatcher

Post by weebleswobble » Wed Feb 09, 2011 5:58 pm

Dreadful prose (in any language)
The first bit sounds like Bruce Wayne, and the second bit sounds like Batman.
markandre13
Leviathan

Post by markandre13 » Wed Feb 09, 2011 7:24 pm

I always wonder what makes these... I am a bit at loss here... The words "journalist" or "article" would give it too much honour... what makes this scum tick when the write and ask bollocks like this.

Are they aiming at a word count here? Do they try to write in a way to satisfy what they consider to be fans of a band? Yes and Yes! And they have to! Because these guys are operating in an intellectual desert.

Just to be in love with something is not enough to fill a page. Be it money or the subject you're writing about. Unless of course you intend to be creative and fill it with sort if funny crap.

Like in every profession, being good is a rare gift.

Some have it... viewtopic.php?f=6&t=2951

Some don't. But nevertheless, it can be still fun. If you want it to be. :wink:
"It's probably better to have him inside the tent pissing out, than outside the tent pissing in." -- Lyndon B. Johnson