Moonchild

Discuss about the albums and videos the band has released over the years. The band we are talking about here is of course F.O.T.N. and not side-projects, similar bands etc. Please use other sections if you want to talk about the weather.

Moderators: Morphic, Blue Angel, The Fallen Ones

Stevensonn
Moonchild

Re: Moonchild

Post by Stevensonn » Wed Oct 15, 2014 7:36 pm

If you listen to the verses, the longevity mix has a more sparse sound - one of the guitars that plays pretty much throughout the other mixes (including the album mix) is missing from the verses on Longevity just leaving the bass and the guitar picking at the end of each line, which also goes AWOL on some lines on Longevity but which is there at the end of every line in the verses on the other mixes (inc. the album mix).
I'm comparing the mix on The Nephilim CD to the Longevity mix from the 12" (which is also on Revelations CD). I know they are different cos Longevity has always been my favourite mix of Moonchild, because of these differences.

But this other guitar (lower in volume than the guitar picking at the end of each line) is definitely there in the verse on both the album mix and on Second seal, and other than a difference in length maybe (which I can't say I've spotted) there doesn't seem any difference between these two mixes.
Ngie
Leviathan

Post by Ngie » Wed Oct 15, 2014 8:04 pm

*notworthy* That's a pretty fine and detailed analysis. You did it.
Stevensonn
Moonchild

Post by Stevensonn » Wed Oct 15, 2014 10:11 pm

So to summarise then - not a lot (if any) difference between Second Seal and the album mix.
corvus corax
Moonchild

Post by corvus corax » Fri Oct 24, 2014 11:45 am

i think cds are nice but dont people feel the sound is much richer and deeper on vinyl i find cds quite clinical just my opinion xx *cthulhu*
Moonchild
Here come the silver pieces
Can't you see
You're losing me
Stevensonn
Moonchild

Post by Stevensonn » Sun Dec 28, 2014 10:28 pm

Just to go back to this topic of the Longevity mix. It's missing on the 5 albums box set - a pretty serious omission. Yet when the tracklisting was first announced in some sources (eg http://www.slicingupeyeballs.com/2013/0 ... -box-sets/), Moonchild (Longevity) is listed as track 10 on the Nephilim CD with Celebrate Second Seal pushed to track 11. I also noticed this tracklisting on the Japan HMV site.

Any ideas what happened here?
Elsye
Moonchild

Post by Elsye » Sun Jul 30, 2017 1:14 am

I'm so old I remember when the different versions the record companies used to put out were great if you made your own compilations.
I was a bit sad and made quite a few mixed play tapes which different versions of Moonchild, though I soon discovered I preferred the second seal version. In those days I'd tape it straight from the record player, scratches and all.
I became lazy once I bought the CDs which were easier to tape and had so much more on them. You could plan your playlist on the multi CD player and create your own mix tape by recording it at the same time, then tape to tape for your friends.

Over the years when they've tried to cash in on Goth compilations they always put the single version of the song on which I think is the first seal and way too short.
So it was great to hear my favourite version of Moonchild again. I'd forgotten how much I prefer it. we've even decided to buy a new turn table cos you can't beat the sound of vinyl.
TheNephilimJohn
Moonchild

Post by TheNephilimJohn » Fri Aug 18, 2017 5:27 pm

Pale Rider wrote:God, I feel old - the early Neph singles were not actually released on CD... and neither were the albums initially!! Back in the mid/late eighties (though it's hard to believe now) CD's were considered a 'minority' format and were tucked away in some dark upstairs corner of your local HMV. Vinyl was the formt, hence the double 12" limited edition of the "Nephilim" album - which Beggars realeased some months after the standard LP version, thus guaranteeing everyone bought it again!! Bloody record companies - can't live with 'em, but can't live without 'em. :D
So in that case the Singles (Power, Preacher Man, Blue Water, Moonchild, Psychonaut, For Her Light) and EP's (Burning the Fields, Returning to Gehenna, Sumerland) were only released in LP and Cassette format and not in CD version?
"For the Nephilim now look forward to a long reign that might take moments to experience, but lifetimes to fulfill."
Deeg
Moonchild

Post by Deeg » Fri Aug 18, 2017 6:56 pm

'Burning the Fields' has had a CD release, its on the river store currently, maybe a rerelease as i dont remember seeing it when i bought my vinyl copy way back when.
Lizzie Umm
Moonchild

Post by Lizzie Umm » Fri Aug 18, 2017 8:58 pm

For her Light was a CD single. I have it, and Elizium was released on CD at the same time as vinyl and cassette. I don't know if the brown album (as we've always referred to it ) or The Nephilim was originally released on CD but my ex had a CD player when I met him in 1989 and he had it on CD then.

edit, CD's were so expensive then. IIRC his copy of the Nephilim had a price sticker for £12.99. That was a small fortune!
It's only a game,
We're only here to dream.
Ngie
Leviathan

Post by Ngie » Sat Aug 19, 2017 9:29 am

Yes The Nephilim album exists on CD.

For more info have a look here : https://www.discogs.com/artist/85994-Fi ... e-Nephilim

or get Ande Tucker's Collectors Guide :https://www.facebook.com/FieldsOfTheNep ... ctorsGuide
TheNephilimJohn
Moonchild

Post by TheNephilimJohn » Sat Aug 19, 2017 4:30 pm

Ngie wrote:Yes The Nephilim album exists on CD.

For more info have a look here : https://www.discogs.com/artist/85994-Fi ... e-Nephilim

or get Ande Tucker's Collectors Guide :https://www.facebook.com/FieldsOfTheNep ... ctorsGuide
Ngie my Collectors Guide is currently underway! :wink:

Thanks everyone for the replies.

I was looking online some days ago for singles such as Power, Preacher Man and Blue Water, and I couldn't find in CD, just on LP, so maybe it's only available in that format right?
"For the Nephilim now look forward to a long reign that might take moments to experience, but lifetimes to fulfill."
TheNephilimJohn
Moonchild

Post by TheNephilimJohn » Sat Aug 19, 2017 4:32 pm

Deeg wrote:'Burning the Fields' has had a CD release, its on the river store currently, maybe a rerelease as i dont remember seeing it when i bought my vinyl copy way back when.
Oh yes, I forgot to exclude the EP "Burning the Fields", since I already have a red cover copy in CD version.
VetForTheInsane
Moonchild

Post by VetForTheInsane » Sat Aug 04, 2018 2:38 am

Pale Rider wrote:God, I feel old - the early Neph singles were not actually released on CD... and neither were the albums initially!! Back in the mid/late eighties (though it's hard to believe now) CD's were considered a 'minority' format and were tucked away in some dark upstairs corner of your local HMV. Vinyl was the formt, hence the double 12" limited edition of the "Nephilim" album - which Beggars realeased some months after the standard LP version, thus guaranteeing everyone bought it again!! Bloody record companies - can't live with 'em, but can't live without 'em. :D
Although one can't ignore the money making side, the principal reason for the release of the remastered "The Nephilim" vinyl was the production on the original LP was noticeably poor and sonically quite down on power. You did have to turn the sound up to get it at a comparable volume to other LP's. I wouldnt say there was exactly a groundswell of comment and it was of course long before the interweb but it was a known thing that it didnt sound quite alive.
That said, when I eagerly got the remastered version on the turntable some months later my response wasnt exactly ejaculatory. Didnt sound sonically that much more improved.