Stephen Carey for lead guitarist of Fields of the Nephilim

Discuss about the Nephilim, Nefilim, F.O.T.N. and other projects by Carl McCoy. Stay on-topic, all off-topic posts will either be deleted or moved to General Chat or elsewhere.

Moderators: Morphic, Blue Angel, The Fallen Ones

Stephen Carey for Lead guitarist of Fields of the Nephilim?

Poll ended at Thu Sep 24, 2015 8:45 pm

Perfect choice?
63%
Not?
38%

Total votes: 8
TruGoff
Moonchild

Stephen Carey for lead guitarist of Fields of the Nephilim

Post by TruGoff » Sun Sep 20, 2015 8:45 pm

Nephilim guitarist Andy James is this month in British magazine 'Total Guitar' in light of his new band 'Wearing Scars'.
He has managed to build a new band and record a new album & music video since being in the Nephilim. This to me more than demonstrates an apetite for music in a 'metal' direction as apposed to a Nephilim one. *whistle*
Whilst he manages to translate the original PAUL WRIGHT guitar lines with some professionalism there is an underlying doubt that comes across. He just isn't 'Goth' enough, too metal! I for one want to porhaps see FOTN again in France re-invigorated so a suggestion I have?

Edit: Stephen Carey is the ONLY man to carry that torch through to the end...
For anyone not familiar with Carey. *notworthy*
Last edited by TruGoff on Fri Sep 25, 2015 7:07 am, edited 3 times in total.
markandre13
Leviathan

Re: Stephen Carey for lead guitarist of Fields of the Nephi

Post by markandre13 » Mon Sep 21, 2015 9:34 pm

considering carey's slide guitar, he might enjoy the peter yates part more.
and andy james might have enough stamina to cope with paul wright's arpeggios.
"It's probably better to have him inside the tent pissing out, than outside the tent pissing in." -- Lyndon B. Johnson
TruGoff
Moonchild

Post by TruGoff » Tue Sep 22, 2015 7:40 am

markandre13 wrote:considering carey's slide guitar, he might enjoy the peter yates part more.
and andy james might have enough stamina to cope with paul wright's arpeggios.
Gav King is a permenent member of FOTN and does add to the sound.
Paul Wrights guitar parts are incredible requiring finesse and touch and if Carey got hold of Watchman (with just a hint of the echo that Wright used that James and Edwards overlooked) - MAGIC!
markandre13
Leviathan

Post by markandre13 » Tue Sep 22, 2015 7:56 am

theedenhouse.com is down for some weeks now anyway, so Carey might be free.
Any thoughts about the drummer?
"It's probably better to have him inside the tent pissing out, than outside the tent pissing in." -- Lyndon B. Johnson
Ngie
Leviathan

Post by Ngie » Tue Sep 22, 2015 11:11 am

I've voted "perfect vote" but must add "only if not possible for Paul Wright".
Pale Rider
Dawnrazor

Post by Pale Rider » Tue Sep 22, 2015 5:04 pm

Yes, absolutely Ngie! . :D

However, I'm not sure it would work … Carl is definitely treading a more metal path nowadays. Also, Steve is a very creative bloke & would no doubt find FOTN 'restrictive' at best … I think he's happy being captain of his own ship rather than cabin boy on Carl's (so to speak)!

Anyway, assuming we all share the 'dream team' of McCoy, Pettitt, Wright, Wright & Yates … but sadly know it ain't gonna happen, I'd choose Tom Edwards over Andy James - both talented, but one more in keeping. Drum wise, Simon Rippin … :)
oldnephilim
Nephilim

Post by oldnephilim » Tue Sep 22, 2015 5:12 pm

Pale Rider wrote:Yes, absolutely Ngie! . :D

However, I'm not sure it would work … Carl is definitely treading a more metal path nowadays. Also, Steve is a very creative bloke & would no doubt find FOTN 'restrictive' at best … I think he's happy being captain of his own ship rather than cabin boy on Carl's (so to speak)!

Anyway, assuming we all share the 'dream team' of McCoy, Pettitt, Wright, Wright & Yates … but sadly know it ain't gonna happen, I'd choose Tom Edwards over Andy James - both talented, but one more in keeping. Drum wise, Simon Rippin … :)

Agree, I hope Andy stays with the nephs though.
“The Nephilim were on the earth in those days, and also afterward, when the sons of God came in to the daughters of man and they bore children to them. These were the mighty men who were of old, the men of renown.”
TruGoff
Moonchild

Post by TruGoff » Tue Sep 22, 2015 8:19 pm

Pale Rider wrote:Yes, absolutely Ngie! . :D

However, I'm not sure it would work … Carl is definitely treading a more metal path nowadays. Also, Steve is a very creative bloke & would no doubt find FOTN 'restrictive' at best … I think he's happy being captain of his own ship
I bet Carey would jump at the chance and he is a band friend of Petitt and porhaps McCoy is starved of 'Wright' style guitar riffs to write with?
markandre13 wrote: Any thoughts about the drummer?
He hasnt put foot wrong.
Him I think drums in a more proficient way but still winds up 'Last Exit' every time like it should. *notworthy*
Ngie wrote:I've voted "perfect vote" but must add "only if not possible for Paul Wright".
In the absence of Mr Paul Wright it's a no-brainor?
Enoch
Dawnrazor

Post by Enoch » Tue Sep 22, 2015 8:43 pm

Voting for Carey would be voting against James. And even though I like Carey's style as demonstrated in Adoration and TEH more than James' in FotN, I do not vote against someone doing a really good job. So I abstain. I am Swiss. Fitting perhaps.
Night obliterates the day and all the fun begins
The Damned - Curtain Call

Citizen of a nation otherwise populated mainly by blinded, brain damaged xenophobes
Dravid
Moonchild

Post by Dravid » Wed Sep 23, 2015 12:00 am

Abstention from my side, too. For two reasons.

One is that I don't see any band. Currently it's Carl and Tony and other musicians playing songs the latter have not contributed to. As long as it's only about live performances, I prefer musicians who can somehow recreate the magic of the shows back in the day. And to me Andy is the one live member who has done a better job at the original songs than any other since the breakup. It doesn't matter what and how they play in other configurations. Under the current conditions Andy is the one I would not like to see replaced.

Of course, I hope to be wrong about the Nephs only being a live happening today. And with Tony back I see some true prospect of the recent announcements actually resulting in a new release. So with no hope of the classic lineup getting back together, Steve would be kind of a natural choice to approach. But again, to me it would not be Andy whom he should replace.

Most importanly, I hope Steve continues with Eden House. Have I missed anything on this front? Earlier this year the new album or a set of EPs seemed well underway.
Ngie
Leviathan

Post by Ngie » Wed Sep 23, 2015 3:32 pm

Enoch wrote:Voting for Carey would be voting against James. And even though I like Carey's style as demonstrated in Adoration and TEH more than James' in FotN, I do not vote against someone doing a really good job. So I abstain. I am Swiss. Fitting perhaps.
Not to be misunderstood I wouldn't want to vote against Andy James either, I only answered ok for Steven Carey in case of a vacant place for a guitarist.
markandre13
Leviathan

Post by markandre13 » Wed Sep 23, 2015 4:14 pm

i sometime like to imagine, that during a gig some musicians are leaving the stage and, maybe after a pause which begins to feel weird, some former band members come on stage, join for one or two songs and leave again. no words of explanation as usual from carl. but smirks on the faces of those who grasp what's going on.
TruGoff
Moonchild

Post by TruGoff » Wed Sep 23, 2015 7:49 pm

Interesting responses guys.
Porhaps you missed the point a little bit here?
Andy James is not a full time member of FOTN or he would have surely mentioned the band in his lengthy interview?
He did not but he did mention the demise of 'SMT' which lead straight on to 'Wearing Scars'.
If he is just a live musician then it would be no great loss to loose him to Carey who, again is basically Wrights musical equivalent - he is that good. *notworthy*
Fans will back who ever is in place at the time which comes as no surprize but if Andy is more Nephilim than Carey my hat I will eat!

If a place become vacant then Carey MUST be the one.....imo *notworthy*
Dravid wrote:Under the current conditions Andy is the one I would not like to see replaced.
Gavin King for replacement instead? Why ever would you suggest that (if that is what you are suggesting)?
Dravid
Moonchild

Post by Dravid » Wed Sep 23, 2015 11:02 pm

@TruGoff

We might be coming from somewhat different angles here. I don't know what being a full-time member currently means. Sure, Gav has participated in all the shows since 2007. But it has only been gigs since then. No band. Or have I misssed something?

Don't get me wrong. I like this thread you opened. All the posts here are interesting to me insofar as they give a picture of what those who chime in are thinking. But it is completely irrelevant to anything that happens with FotN. As annoying as Carl's indifference to the fans' opinions has been and continues to be to all of us, I nonetheless consider this to be one of his strenghts.

So if this is about exchanging our opinions on the composition of the live staple and fantasizing about potential alternatives (short of the classic Nephilim), then I would agree with you that Steve would probably the first to approach (and I would be thrilled by such a move, even though his style is very different from Paul's and Pete's). But I would add that Andy has been the strongest addition to the live shows since the breakup.

Also, I'm not suggesting anything (besides, there's noone to suggest anything to anyways). But since you asked why I am less taken by the others' preformances, this is just one, admittedly extreme, but by no means exceptional example (start at ~24:25):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i8dbArSX1os

Not that it would be necessary to compare, but see here (from ~10:00):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ak5i1gNrUTM

So even though Paul's style was what was most noticeably striking when the Nephs first started out, his part might be the easiest one to find a live replacement for.

As an aside, your nick is plain brilliant!
TruGoff
Moonchild

Post by TruGoff » Thu Sep 24, 2015 7:24 am

@Dravid
Dravid wrote:this is just one, admittedly extreme, but by no means exceptional example (start at ~24:25):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i8dbArSX1os
Oh!! Not so clever!!! :shock:
Full time membership would have to include writing new material.
James has been exchanged for Edwards before now so a stand-in metal-head with a bandana - beavis! :lol:
Sure he can play guitar, if you like guitar schooled players but he is not Goth at all.
All of Andy James output is 'metal' (including his tuition videos etc) so dont expect 'Elizium' or 'Nephilim' albums is all Im saying?
Dravid wrote:@TruGoff
???
Who's nick? :wink:

NGIE has given the most reasoned response so far *notworthy*
ThomasB
Nephilim

Post by ThomasB » Thu Sep 24, 2015 7:50 am

TruGoff wrote: Sure he can play guitar, if you like guitar schooled players but he is not Goth at all.
All of Andy James output is 'metal' (including his tuition videos etc) so dont expect 'Elizium' or 'Nephilim' albums is all Im saying?
Dravid wrote:@TruGoff
???
Who's nick? :wink:

NGIE has given the most reasoned response so far *notworthy*
Hey, if you asked some folks nowadays what "goff" is, they'd probably say Marylin Manson or Evanescence (ah, no, that was two years ago…)
This metal thingie has gobbled up goff, like most things. (And it's even worse in my neck o'wood, where no other genre seems to have the right to exist.) Besides, well, musicians have to make a living, don't they ? And where is the money ?
Fundraiser. You know, it's like Hellraiser, but without the Cenobites, the blood and all that.
IN NOMINE NEMO !
Dravid
Moonchild

Post by Dravid » Thu Sep 24, 2015 8:34 am

ThomasB wrote: Hey, if you asked some folks nowadays what "goff" is, they'd probably say Marylin Manson or Evanescence (ah, no, that was two years ago…)
This metal thingie has gobbled up goff, like most things. (And it's even worse in my neck o'wood, where no other genre seems to have the right to exist.) Besides, well, musicians have to make a living, don't they ? And where is the money ?
And I would agree: MM and Evanescence are today's...actually yesterday's...goff :twisted:

So what? It only bugs me when metal is gobbling up goth :evil:
Ngie
Leviathan

Post by Ngie » Thu Sep 24, 2015 4:19 pm

markandre13 wrote:i sometime like to imagine, that during a gig some musicians are leaving the stage and, maybe after a pause which begins to feel weird, some former band members come on stage, join for one or two songs and leave again. no words of explanation as usual from carl. but smirks on the faces of those who grasp what's going on.
8) That could be very cool if possible.

By the way I wonder : does Peter Yates* problem of tinnitus keep him from playing live at all ? For the pain it may cause him ? For sound disturbance and not playing right ?

(*) much missed live performance

Even if Andy James is an excellent guitarist I'm not fond of his metallic play. Of course it's good to add some muscles (bollocks) here or there for the energy, but to tell the story as solo they rather stay mute at my taste (in the background ahead). "Take off the horses let them growl" you know not squall like a capricious child.
I'm only trying to express my ear taste which I understand is probably not shared by everybody here.

As for Gav King's play I'm afraid I can't distinguish how he sounds from the videos available on the Internet. Can anybody point some out ?
NorthernNephilim
Nephilim

Post by NorthernNephilim » Thu Sep 24, 2015 7:23 pm

markandre13 wrote:theedenhouse.com is down for some weeks
it makes me really worry ... and hope it is not halted because of other "non innovative music projects" :cry:
Dravid
Moonchild

Post by Dravid » Wed Sep 30, 2015 7:38 pm

I've been in touch with Steve and am happy to pass on that the new release is in progress. Most of the music apart from the vocals done. It might take a bit longer than expected, but apparently nothing to worry about.