How did you first become aware of Nephilim's existence?

Discuss about the Nephilim, Nefilim, F.O.T.N. and other projects by Carl McCoy. Stay on-topic, all off-topic posts will either be deleted or moved to General Chat or elsewhere.

Moderators: Morphic, Blue Angel, The Fallen Ones

Enoch
Dawnrazor

Re: How did you first become aware of Nephilim's existence?

Post by Enoch » Sat Nov 15, 2014 12:02 am

I think many people - and I include myself here - have a certain vague concept of what "gothic" is and if they can be arsed for some reason to delve into it, mainly musically in this case, they find out that it is actually different. Better^^
Although that can probably be said about every subculture or whatever one could call that...

Anyway, welcome matthewaos :)
Night obliterates the day and all the fun begins
The Damned - Curtain Call

Citizen of a nation otherwise populated mainly by blinded, brain damaged xenophobes
Daphid
Moonchild

Post by Daphid » Sat Nov 15, 2014 2:23 pm

First became of the band's existence when I saw a live add for New Model Army playing in London, early 1987. What appeared to say 'Fields of the Neffilium' were the support band. The add was pretty small and the name of the opening act was REALLY small!
Then saw one of the local Goth crowd wearing the old "Last of the Western Heroes" T shirt around York that Summer...
ilprof
Moonchild

Post by ilprof » Thu Nov 20, 2014 6:34 pm

Through Mick Mercer's book!
Louis Cyphre
Moonchild

Post by Louis Cyphre » Fri Mar 27, 2015 2:24 pm

they were mentioned in the sister of mercy article...had look them up...and fell in love.
"They say there's enough religion in the world to make men hate each other, but not enough to make them love. "
jorge saavedra
Moonchild

Post by jorge saavedra » Tue May 12, 2015 1:25 am

In 93/94, a friend of mine lent me a tape with The Cure on side A, and Dawnrazor on the B side.

Well, in that moment, The Cure lost their pole position of my prefered band. Since then, FOTN became my "life soundtrack".
markandre13
Leviathan

Post by markandre13 » Tue May 12, 2015 6:03 am

jorge saavedra wrote:In 93/94, a friend of mine lent me a tape with The Cure on side A, and Dawnrazor on the B side.

Well, in that moment, The Cure lost their pole position of my prefered band. Since then, FOTN became my "life soundtrack".
Sounds familiar. :lol: Welcome Jorge.
"It's probably better to have him inside the tent pissing out, than outside the tent pissing in." -- Lyndon B. Johnson
jorge saavedra
Moonchild

Post by jorge saavedra » Fri May 15, 2015 3:25 am

markandre13 wrote:
jorge saavedra wrote:In 93/94, a friend of mine lent me a tape with The Cure on side A, and Dawnrazor on the B side.

Sounds familiar. :lol: Welcome Jorge.

Thanks Markandre 13.
Seems that the way we met these guys was quite similar...

Like we use to say in Portugal "the all world is a very little place to live..."

You're welcome too.
markandre13
Leviathan

Post by markandre13 » Fri May 15, 2015 8:35 am

jorge saavedra wrote:Like we use to say in Portugal "the all world is a very little place to live..."
And in case you were at the gig at the Coliseu do Porto in 2010, you and me and quite a bunch of others in this forum, already spent the night under the same roof. :D
"It's probably better to have him inside the tent pissing out, than outside the tent pissing in." -- Lyndon B. Johnson
jorge saavedra
Moonchild

Post by jorge saavedra » Fri May 15, 2015 12:50 pm

markandre13 wrote:
jorge saavedra wrote:Like we use to say in Portugal "the all world is a very little place to live..."
And in case you were at the gig at the Coliseu do Porto in 2010, you and me and quite a bunch of others in this forum, already spent the night under the same roof. :D
I was not abble at the time to go to Porto. Work did not let me in.
But I went to London, my first time there, for the 30th aniversary gig in SBE. Saturday 6th December 2014. My first FOTN gig too. I couldn't miss it, and it was magnificent.

Have you been there? Where are you from by the way?

Would been curious to know how many countries were under the same roof in those gigs. I went alone, by myself, but I know there were people from other countries like Spain, Greece, Germany... and also UK :lol:
foreverremain
Moonchild

Post by foreverremain » Mon Jun 15, 2015 7:49 pm

Heard about them off a friend, who said they were crap. Bought the brown 'The Nephilim' album, it put the willys up me and been hooked ever since. That was 27 years ago.....
Andromeda
Moonchild

Post by Andromeda » Tue Sep 29, 2015 10:16 am

Hi everyone! Newbie here reporting. My english is not too good so i apologize if there's any mistakes with my writing :oops:
I think my story is the most boring one but well, better judge yourselves.
Basically i live under a rock, so two years ago i wasn't aware about what is it the goth rock but i know how to give a good use to the internet and i'm always looking for new music, it's the only way i can do it. So i found TEH and thanks to them i notice about Fields of the nephilim no long after, with both bands it was love at the first time i heard them. And i have to say since i listen to "Half life" and "Elizium" i became exigent with the music and also it changes the way i heard it.

Now im asking myself three questions. Where had been FOTN all my life? Why i never heard about them before? Why i wasn't born 20 years before?
MintyTheCat
Moonchild

Post by MintyTheCat » Mon Nov 16, 2015 8:45 pm

My uncle introduced me to his favourite band after I asked what the really cool poster was that he had framed on his office wall. It was the For Her Light Poster and to this day I love that image....and have that poster and it is huge.

So he passed me some headphones and let me listen to Revelations.

I then flew to France and spent two weeks there and all I could think about was the band I had heard back in England.
When I got back home I bought Revelations and never looked back. I was fourteen then so I have been a fan for most of my life now.
ThomasB
Nephilim

Post by ThomasB » Tue Nov 17, 2015 9:20 am

Andromeda wrote:Hi everyone! Newbie here reporting. My english is not too good so i apologize if there's any mistakes with my writing :oops:
I think my story is the most boring one but well, better judge yourselves.
Basically i live under a rock, so two years ago i wasn't aware about what is it the goth rock but i know how to give a good use to the internet and i'm always looking for new music, it's the only way i can do it. So i found TEH and thanks to them i notice about Fields of the nephilim no long after, with both bands it was love at the first time i heard them. And i have to say since i listen to "Half life" and "Elizium" i became exigent with the music and also it changes the way i heard it.

Now im asking myself three questions. Where had been FOTN all my life? Why i never heard about them before? Why i wasn't born 20 years before?
Oi ! *smoking*

Welcome aboard ye shippe of fools !

Don't wish you were born 20 years before, now you'd be an ugly old cnut like yours truly ! :mrgreen:
Fundraiser. You know, it's like Hellraiser, but without the Cenobites, the blood and all that.
IN NOMINE NEMO !
YorkshireNephilim
Moonchild

Post by YorkshireNephilim » Sun Nov 29, 2015 9:16 pm

I should have posted this upon registration, I think, but better late than never or so the saying goes XD

I first heard At The Gates of Silent Memory in... 2000 or perhaps late 1999, I can't even remember what I was looking for at that time that led me to the discovery, and I thought that song was good, other tracks just didn't click in. Then, in early 2010, I was looking for sources on the internet for a backstory for a character in a role-playing game who was heavily influenced by the Watcher mythos and I re-stumbled upon Fields quite naturally. :lol: This time, it was an instant "holy carp"/"how come I've been missing them for so long" moment and... yeah, the life soundtrack mentioned in the thread before pretty much sums it up.

Cheers,
Rob
Morgana650GS
Moonchild

Post by Morgana650GS » Sun Jan 03, 2016 9:13 pm

Rock city 1985 - my epiphany - Jonathan played Laura & that was that, this is what I'd been waiting for, this was what had been missing & they have been with me ever since.
There has possibly been no more than 10 days in 31 years of devotion that I have not listened to them.
No matter where in the world I am or have been, they have been with me.
They have accompanied me throughout my life - all the happy, sad, tragic & magical moments and so it shall continue until the end.
Luckily for me, my partner feels exactly the same....
Enoch
Dawnrazor

Post by Enoch » Sat Feb 27, 2016 5:00 pm

Morgana650GS wrote:Luckily for me, my partner feels exactly the same....
Lovely couple with a good taste in music you are then, congratulations :)
Be it the Nephs or anything else, to me, shared musical taste turns out to be one of the contributors that keeps a relationship going
Night obliterates the day and all the fun begins
The Damned - Curtain Call

Citizen of a nation otherwise populated mainly by blinded, brain damaged xenophobes
anathema
Moonchild

Post by anathema » Sun May 29, 2016 12:29 am

they were mentioned in a newspaper arcticle about SoM. had to check Nef's out. never regretted.
Keep your 'lectric eye on me babe/Put your ray gun to my head
rossva
Moonchild

Post by rossva » Thu Jun 02, 2016 9:37 pm

I was 13 when Dawnrazor was released, was listening to crappy hip hop back then. Saw the album cover for Dawnrazor, thought it was really cool so bought it and listened to it... Immediately went and trashed all my 'Electro' albums and grew my hair... never looked back :)
markandre13
Leviathan

Post by markandre13 » Thu Jun 02, 2016 10:19 pm

rossva wrote:Immediately went and trashed all my 'Electro' albums
I sometimes find a similarity between Paul Wright's arpeggios and video game music from the 80ties. So I'm still quite comfortable with 'Electro'. :D
pDiddly
Moonchild

Post by pDiddly » Tue Jun 21, 2016 2:01 pm

Hi all,

Just joined the forum, so "Hello" to you all :-)

The first time they really hooked me was when I saw them play with Gene Loves Jezebel at Leeds Warehouse in 1986.
I can't remember the order of things, but I'd also bought "Burning The Fields" and "Returning to Gehenna" from Rocks Off in Bradford. So anyway, around that time.

I've got some photos from the Warehouse gig somewhere; I'll try and scan/upload if anybody is interested.

Cheers,
Paul (aka P-Diddly)