Zoon

Please post your links to other homepages about Fields of the Nephilim and others of relevance.

Moderators: Blue Angel, The Fallen Ones

Big Si
Dawnrazor

Zoon

Post by Big Si » Mon Aug 07, 2006 9:36 pm

Yet another fan site, this time with an essay about the Zoon album

http://echoes.devin.com/zoon.html
oldnephilim
Nephilim

Re: Zoon

Post by oldnephilim » Thu Feb 18, 2010 9:34 am

Just to put this old topic up for our new zoon-fellows.
I highly recommend this essay about zoon lyrics to
everyone who loves zoon like I do!

*cthulhu* *notworthy* *cthulhu*

“The Nephilim were on the earth in those days, and also afterward, when the sons of God came in to the daughters of man and they bore children to them. These were the mighty men who were of old, the men of renown.”
Oskar Terramortis
Leviathan

Post by Oskar Terramortis » Thu Feb 18, 2010 12:04 pm

:shock:

Nice info about the lyrics--------........... *notworthy*
http://www.gothic-rock.com/
Music is the refuge of souls ulcerated by happiness. Cioran
Oskar Terramortis
Leviathan

Post by Oskar Terramortis » Thu Feb 18, 2010 12:09 pm

oldnephilim wrote: everyone who loves zoon like I do!

Did you ever you've been a fan of thrash metal? :twisted:
oldnephilim
Nephilim

Post by oldnephilim » Thu Feb 18, 2010 12:23 pm

Oskar Terramortis wrote:

like every kind of noise! :wink:
“The Nephilim were on the earth in those days, and also afterward, when the sons of God came in to the daughters of man and they bore children to them. These were the mighty men who were of old, the men of renown.”
Oskar Terramortis
Leviathan

Post by Oskar Terramortis » Thu Feb 18, 2010 1:27 pm

oldnephilim wrote:
Oskar Terramortis wrote:

like every kind of noise! :wink:

like me, you got the band where Paul Miles played ? Arbitrator, is difficult to achieve - I read that is very similar to Nefilim :o
matthewaos
Moonchild

Post by matthewaos » Mon Nov 17, 2014 12:19 am

Sorry to "reanimate" an old topic but this seemed appropriate.
I am really in searching and understanding stuff that the artist wants to say, so I am always looking beyond the lyrics, on artists I appreciate. Most times I am dissapointed, as there are no inner meanings and stuff I didn't got from the start. With the Nephilim at times I think I've got it, other times I am torn if I can't understand the guy, or if he is saying whatever, cloaked under mystical references.

I read this guy's article, and some others I found online and I think that Zoon's concept is not the story of the nephilim, rather than well the apocalypse. There are other stuff too and I am not sure I am getting everything, I know I am not getting everything, but I think there are several stuff showing what I am saying. At times I also think that we are not talking about the destruction of the old world and the creation of the new one, but for a finite... end.
In my mind this is evident in the following examples:

Still life is like watchers describing their fate, that they were immitating man in another life but now they are imprisoned until armagedon. And Xodus is probably refering to their exodus from their prison. In general there is much hell on earth backdrop and all this it feels like end times. In penetration he says "Armageddon", plus there are the two quotes. The first is "What's happening is real. You can't stop them. What do you think, we just go on forever?" and the second is "Repeat: we have confirmed angel touchdown. The place is completely ablaze of fire. It's like hell down here. I think we're going straight for the fcuking light." Because this sounds like a report from a hellicopter observer or whatever, it brings me in my mind war zone, and in general modern times, which is more in synch with the end times. Also the quotation in Pazuzu is "This generation shall not pass. This is the last man." In this song also there is a man made god, as I understand it, corrupted priest and "Ressurection day an anti-christ" and this may be a reference to the second coming? Zoon 3 also has the lyrics "As we begin the end
Let us close the womb this time" (and this is one reason I am thinking the definitive end of everything) and "This is hell this is
End of time", which is pretty much what I am babling about all this time.
In Zoon 3 there are several points like "I will live again" and stuff which do not go with the absolute end, but also the album ends with Coma, that brings me to my mind all those plots that "it was actually a dream". Maybe it was a vision from a man in a coma or something like that? Maybe coma is refering to the state of life as it is, and after the end of everything our protagonist wakes from it (does he actually? I am not sure) and enters a higher level of existence.

In any case everything means to the listener what they mean for him/her. I can say that the lyrics mean this or that and or I can thing of a thousand philosophies because of the lyrics, and mr. Nephilim only wanted to make some $$$ and dressed his intentions with shamanistic mambo jumbo and all that. Maybe he does not have any idea what he is saying. But I would like to know if anyone has any idea about Zoon's concept in general. Next, I'll pick up Mourning Sun... :twisted:
markandre13
Leviathan

Post by markandre13 » Mon Nov 17, 2014 11:52 am

you've heard that carl uses automatic writing?

and because of that, there is one thing i always loved about the nephs, which is that you can't nail it down to one exact meaning. sometimes it is hard to understand him, sometimes it is impossible to decipher the calligraphy of the lyrics. it might be on purpose.

when carl was asked if "let us witness the reincarnation of the sun" in psychonaut was spelled "sun" or "son", he replied that you can spell it both ways.

the biblical nephilim, who brought knowledge and magic to mankind, also represent creativity to carl. so your personal way of interpretation isn't only possible, it is encouraged.

and the lyrics are just one part, hints which have to be consumed in concert with the rest of the music. and you as a listener will bring your own emotions, knowledge and experiences into the music. and what you feel, see and hear during a song, is what the song is about.
"It's probably better to have him inside the tent pissing out, than outside the tent pissing in." -- Lyndon B. Johnson
matthewaos
Moonchild

Post by matthewaos » Tue Nov 18, 2014 5:47 am

Ah ok, that helps. I just thought that every album has a theme and I was wondering about the theme in Zoon.
markandre13
Leviathan

Post by markandre13 » Tue Nov 18, 2014 12:07 pm

i am convinced that every album has a theme. i associate a certain feeling and colour with every album.
"It's probably better to have him inside the tent pissing out, than outside the tent pissing in." -- Lyndon B. Johnson
matthewaos
Moonchild

Post by matthewaos » Thu Nov 20, 2014 6:29 pm

however this is the first time i jhear about carl using automaticx writing. can you spare a link or omething?
markandre13
Leviathan

Post by markandre13 » Fri Nov 21, 2014 1:02 pm

Beth maintains a wonderful archive over at Sumerland:
  • CHAOS FOR THE NORMAL, From "AOS: A Celebration"
    INTERVIEWER: Austin Osman Spare practiced automatic writing, the art of allowing the hand to write or draw spontaneously, seemingly under the guidance of an external force. It was a pet subject of the surrealist movement of which he was part.
    CARL: "Automatic writing was a huge opener as an influence and a confidence to achieve. I don't know many people that have admitted that."
  • RETURN OF THE NEPHILIM ORKUS, November 2005
    Carl still uses the method of the "automatic writing" from the Occult. "Yes, I really do believe in that, and I also do it with the singing. I often simply let the music take me away. For example in Last Exit For The Lost: we put together the piece in one take, and it was finished. In fact, that's the way I'm recording most of the songs - I spend the least time on vocals. I just go there, sing the song, and it's done."
matthewaos
Moonchild

Post by matthewaos » Fri Nov 21, 2014 2:56 pm

Cool! Gonna start reading...
goyless
Psychonaut

Post by goyless » Fri Nov 21, 2014 7:47 pm

the Carl wrote:For example in Last Exit For The Lost: we put together the piece in one take, and it was finished. In fact, that's the way I'm recording most of the songs - I spend the least time on vocals. I just go there, sing the song, and it's done
When he puts it like that it sounds so easy that I wonder why he doesn't record 1 album every half of the year.
Gargoyles rock!
matthewaos
Moonchild

Post by matthewaos » Fri Nov 21, 2014 10:12 pm

Wasn't he supposed to release a new album about a year after Mourning Sun? :lol:
Circe
Moonchild

Post by Circe » Thu Dec 03, 2020 7:20 pm

markandre13 wrote:when carl was asked if "let us witness the reincarnation of the sun" in psychonaut was spelled "sun" or "son", he replied that you can spell it both ways.
He is referring to Lucifer [Morning Sun] the name in Latin means the Light Bringer and is represented by the planet Venus, there are also references to be made to Sumerian legends.

From an original Hebrew passage: "How you have fallen from heaven, morning star, son of the dawn! You have been cast down to the earth, you who once laid low the nations! You said in your heart, 'I will ascend to the heavens..."