The Nephilim - 20th Anniversary

Discuss about the Nephilim, Nefilim, F.O.T.N. and other projects by Carl McCoy. Stay on-topic, all off-topic posts will either be deleted or moved to General Chat or elsewhere.

Moderators: Morphic, Blue Angel, The Fallen Ones

Enoch
Dawnrazor

Post by Enoch » Mon Mar 09, 2009 4:00 am

My favourite album and I don't know what to post here except that. So there.

:twisted:
Pandora Panorama
Psychonaut

Post by Pandora Panorama » Mon Mar 09, 2009 12:13 pm

"Phobia instead doesn't like me. The worst Nephilim song again Power for me."
same here. Quite happy about Shiva, but left cold by Phobia, and Power is the song i like the least.
There is no truth prior to fiction.
Blue Angel
Nephilim

Re: The Nephilim - 20th Anniversary

Post by Blue Angel » Wed Mar 11, 2009 10:51 am

wild bill buttock wrote:
Blue Angel wrote:Yeah, yeah, I know it was last September...

But I'm just thinking... did we (as in the forum) miss the anniversary? Was nothing said?

:?

viewtopic.php?t=1711

Try to keep up shorty shit-out :wink:
D'oh!

I'll er...

Fields of the Neffalump

Jism!
Mark Anthony Quested
Leviathan

Post by Mark Anthony Quested » Tue Mar 24, 2009 9:27 am

Blue Angel wrote:Yeah, yeah, I know it was last September...

But I'm just thinking... did we (as in the forum) miss the anniversary? Was nothing said?

:?
Is it not the 25th anniversary this year since the original line up of FOTN was first founded? Or was it last year? I thought that FOTN were founded in 1984, but I am sure that I have also read 1983. :? :? :?

MQ
Yours, aye!

Mark Anthony Quested
Facebook - http://www.facebook.com/markanthonyquested
Twitter - Mark Anthony Quested @MAQuested
"He posts, in confusion!"
nomad
Watcher

Post by nomad » Tue Mar 24, 2009 5:16 pm

Mark Anthony Quested wrote:Is it not the 25th anniversary this year since the original line up of FOTN was first founded? Or was it last year? I thought that FOTN were founded in 1984, but I am sure that I have also read 1983.
Well, the 24th Moment was in 2007, as I recall, which, for extra Mystical Bollox (tm), was not only on the 24th of May, but 24 years after the formation of the band. Or so I seem to remember reading at the time. It's probably still on the official site somewhere...

So, in answer to your questions: No, and Yes, in that order.

:D
"Where's the little man?"
wild bill buttock
Nephilim

Post by wild bill buttock » Wed Mar 25, 2009 2:16 am

ERm... I think The Nephilim in question is the 1988 album by the band Fields of the Nephilim which was 20 years old last year and will be celebrating its coming of age party this year. *whistle*
bradwj
Watcher

Post by bradwj » Sat Mar 28, 2009 5:29 am

yep.....at least 2 remasters (Dawnrazor and Nephilim) should be released as per updated tech....
I know I am getting older but everytime a song comes on from one of those two albums in a mix......I have to crank the stereo just to have the same loudness as other cds.......
Mark Anthony Quested
Leviathan

Post by Mark Anthony Quested » Thu Apr 09, 2009 8:20 am

nomad wrote:
Mark Anthony Quested wrote:Is it not the 25th anniversary this year since the original line up of FOTN was first founded? Or was it last year? I thought that FOTN were founded in 1984, but I am sure that I have also read 1983.
Well, the 24th Moment was in 2007, as I recall, which, for extra Mystical Bollox (tm), was not only on the 24th of May, but 24 years after the formation of the band. Or so I seem to remember reading at the time. It's probably still on the official site somewhere...

So, in answer to your questions: No, and Yes, in that order.

:D
I have read that the band was formed in 1983 and 1984! :shock: :?

So is this year the 25th anniversary of FOTN?

MQ
Yours, aye!

Mark Anthony Quested
Facebook - http://www.facebook.com/markanthonyquested
Twitter - Mark Anthony Quested @MAQuested
"He posts, in confusion!"
angry bob
Nephilim

Post by angry bob » Thu Apr 09, 2009 5:10 pm

Mark Anthony Quested wrote:

MQ
Yep... it's 25 years or so... Great innit?! It's the best time now to release a big box, beautifully packed in sheerfaith artwork, containing live material from SBE gigs, and maybe even from the Astoria or Helldone.Wow! Plus unreleased tracks from Fallen/MS era. All this obviously only as a supplement to the absolutely fantastic and completely new studio record that will make us crawl on our broken knees. Oh i'm smart aint i?! See Carl if you're reading... Man we could make lots of money together *cthulhu* :mrgreen:
morning comes as light burning out my eyes
Dr Cerebus
Watcher

Post by Dr Cerebus » Fri Apr 10, 2009 2:45 pm

angry bob wrote:

MQ
Yep... it's 25 years or so... Great innit?! It's the best time now to release a big box, beautifully packed in sheerfaith artwork, containing live material from SBE gigs, and maybe even from the Astoria or Helldone.Wow! Plus unreleased tracks from Fallen/MS era. All this obviously only as a supplement to the absolutely fantastic and completely new studio record that will make us crawl on our broken knees. Oh i'm smart aint i?! See Carl if you're reading... Man we could make lots of money together *cthulhu* :mrgreen:
Picture your hopes. Picture a gigantic God sized Carl-finger coming down from the clouds. Behold the squashing. Like. A. Bug.

It's called reverse psychology... trust me... the set will be out in no time...
falling from ecstasy...
...amongst other things
ThomasB
Nephilim

Post by ThomasB » Fri Apr 10, 2009 7:13 pm

Dr Cerebus wrote:
angry bob wrote:

MQ
Picture your hopes. Picture a gigantic God sized Carl-finger coming down from the clouds. Behold the squashing. Like. A. Bug.

Yes, but what if Carl is a firm believer in "reverse reverse psychology" ?
Perish the thought…
Fundraiser. You know, it's like Hellraiser, but without the Cenobites, the blood and all that.
IN NOMINE NEMO !
Dr Cerebus
Watcher

Post by Dr Cerebus » Fri Apr 10, 2009 7:45 pm

ThomasB wrote:
Dr Cerebus wrote:
angry bob wrote: Yep... it's 25 years or so... Great innit?! It's the best time now to release a big box, beautifully packed in sheerfaith artwork, containing live material from SBE gigs, and maybe even from the Astoria or Helldone.Wow! Plus unreleased tracks from Fallen/MS era. All this obviously only as a supplement to the absolutely fantastic and completely new studio record that will make us crawl on our broken knees. Oh i'm smart aint i?! See Carl if you're reading... Man we could make lots of money together *cthulhu* :mrgreen:

Yes, but what if Carl is a firm believer in "reverse reverse psychology" ?
Perish the thought…
Damn! He's always one step ahead!
falling from ecstasy...
...amongst other things
WolfLover
Dawnrazor

Post by WolfLover » Thu Apr 22, 2010 9:43 pm

Mont Ventoux wrote:I like Shiva, I don't understand why it's a song so "hated". Very dark, great atmosphere.
And then Shiva has a particular rule in the album, IMHO, it breaks the first part, more violent and direct and it introduces the second part, more quiet and soft. Shiva works and sound good.

Phobia instead doesn't like me. The worst Nephilim song again Power for me.
I love the whole album from start to finish, it's an absolute masterpiece. I also quite like Shiva quite a good bit, although it's not as awesome as 'Shrould Exordium' though. The reason I'm comparing it to 'Shrould' is because it is almost similar, in terms of the dark vocals, and at times it's hard to hear what Carl is saying in both songs. I don't know why Carl hasn't thought about re-releasing these classic albums, especially since other classic bands like The Mission, Sisters, Joy Division and The Cure are all re-releasing their classic albums with better volume, sound, bonus songs and lots of inner notes. I think all the albums from 'Dawnrazor to the Revelations and Earth Inferno' albums should definitely be given a good remastering.
If you pass through my soul tonight
Gather all his troubles
Tomorrow's long with eternal night
Gather for tomorrow
When I'm gone wait here
Discover all of earth's surprises
When I'm gone wait here
I'll send my child my last good smile
Lord Mureth
Nephilim

Post by Lord Mureth » Fri Apr 23, 2010 8:32 pm

Amen to that. Considering the difference the remasters made to KJ albums from the same period, it HAS to be done one day.. doesn't it?
weebleswobble
BayWatcher

Post by weebleswobble » Fri Apr 23, 2010 8:39 pm

The Nephilim is quite possibly the best album ever made. But record company/ego wankery means the possibilty of seeing some remastered reissue akin to The Cure or Sisters is as likely as me waking up pregnant.
The first bit sounds like Bruce Wayne, and the second bit sounds like Batman.
Ande
Watcher

Post by Ande » Sat Apr 24, 2010 3:05 am

Beggars seem content to keep re-pressing the albums, so there must be some demand...

Considering some of the "crap" (in subjective terms) that they re-release, and also the effort they expend in doing stuff like the Cult box sets, its hard to imagine that they wouldn't make a few shekels from a comprehensive Neph reissue program...

WolfLover
Dawnrazor

Post by WolfLover » Sat Apr 24, 2010 3:34 am

Ande wrote:Beggars seem content to keep re-pressing the albums, so there must be some demand...

Considering some of the "crap" (in subjective terms) that they re-release, and also the effort they expend in doing stuff like the Cult box sets, its hard to imagine that they wouldn't make a few shekels from a comprehensive Neph reissue program...
Hopefully they will at some stage. I've had to beef up the volume on all my Neph CDs from 'Dawnrazor to Revelations', because the albums were made in the days of analogue and dreaded low AAD volume. They sound a lot louder now, but not too load like some of todays albums. I just got tired of having to higher up the volume on both my iPod and my stereo all the time. :roll: If anybody wants me to send them to them just pm me. :wink:
If you pass through my soul tonight
Gather all his troubles
Tomorrow's long with eternal night
Gather for tomorrow
When I'm gone wait here
Discover all of earth's surprises
When I'm gone wait here
I'll send my child my last good smile
NorthernNephilim
Nephilim

Post by NorthernNephilim » Sat Apr 24, 2010 9:37 am

WolfLover wrote:I've had to beef up the volume on all my Neph CDs from 'Dawnrazor to Revelations', because the albums were made in the days of analogue and dreaded low AAD volume. :wink:
That´s not really a problem to the "old" releases, it´s a major problem that new productions are messed up with loudness, compression etc. Everyone wants to be the "loudest" but the real dynamics gets lost.

more to read here: http://turnmeup.org/

so the old neph albums aren´t really "quiet" - turned up the volume for normal listening they provide this feeling for dynamics, louder and quiter areas of the songs for telling a story - especially on "Last Exit" to give you the feeling for taking you on a trip.

... And this old neph Albums aren´t really quiter then ORIGINAL releases of Dead can Dance, Pink Floyd - it´s just caused to the Loudness wars on newer stuff.

So i hope when a re release is in the pipeline, that the feeling of the old albums doesn´t gets lost caused to lots of compression and this useless loudness wars. For me as Hi Fi listener "The Nephilim" and "Elizium" are brilliant as they are - even Mourning Sun can´t reach this.
Mont Ventoux
Psychonaut

Post by Mont Ventoux » Sat Apr 24, 2010 11:53 am

I know I go off-topic but where can I find the sales of all Nephilim's records, not only The Nephilim ?
Are they visible somewhere?
Probably Andy or someone else of you knows sales data however :)

I think that the new release of old Dead Can Dance or Sisters or Cure albums depends also from the fact that they have sold several number of copyes when they came out.
squishy
Nephilim

Post by squishy » Sat Apr 24, 2010 4:13 pm

NorthernNephilim wrote:That´s not really a problem to the "old" releases, it´s a major problem that new productions are messed up with loudness, compression etc. Everyone wants to be the "loudest" but the real dynamics gets lost.

more to read here: http://turnmeup.org/

so the old neph albums aren´t really "quiet" - turned up the volume for normal listening they provide this feeling for dynamics, louder and quiter areas of the songs for telling a story - especially on "Last Exit" to give you the feeling for taking you on a trip.

... And this old neph Albums aren´t really quiter then ORIGINAL releases of Dead can Dance, Pink Floyd - it´s just caused to the Loudness wars on newer stuff.

So i hope when a re release is in the pipeline, that the feeling of the old albums doesn´t gets lost caused to lots of compression and this useless loudness wars. For me as Hi Fi listener "The Nephilim" and "Elizium" are brilliant as they are - even Mourning Sun can´t reach this.
Agreed! If they're going to swamp us with as shitty remasters as those of, say, New Model Army's "Impurity", I want no Neph remasters ever!

*cthulhu* *cthulhu* *cthulhu*
remember what the doorknob said