Prophecy

Discuss about the albums and videos the band has released over the years. The band we are talking about here is of course F.O.T.N. and not side-projects, similar bands etc. Please use other sections if you want to talk about the weather.

Moderators: Morphic, Blue Angel, The Fallen Ones

WolfyBauwow
Psychonaut

Prophecy

Post by WolfyBauwow » Mon Dec 16, 2019 3:45 am

A real toe tapper.

like this little ditty curtosy of a fave comedian
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V9Vc3S0X5tA

I was curious about prerelease live version and if the lyrics changed much or if there are different versions as sometimes bands will tweek them for their final release. Anyone know when it was first played live? The official release as a single wasn't until 2017. For lyrics, heres whats online:

http://www.songlyrics.com/fields-of-the ... cy-lyrics/

I really liked this live version hee hee

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xE-9MOXX-eg

2:33 - Bau ? :P

Evoking my moniker? Gee, I feel appreciated! :D :lol: Well I don't know about the prophesy , ok with the fires and burning etc ( I will attest to radiation burns, OUCH!) but I AM here. Well I'm sort of back at least. It was a close one but I'm not dead yet. Me and Jason Becker. Miss me? :twisted: Becareful what you wish for and what tree you bark up! Now where are my treats? Chocolates will do (no carmels) Or better yet, a new track. *whistle*

Really Carl, to be honest, I can't make heads or tales of most of your muted mumblings and machinations. Ain't nobody got time fo dat. Clarity is a virtue.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=waEC-8GFTP4
markandre13
Leviathan

Re: Prophecy

Post by markandre13 » Mon Dec 16, 2019 8:07 pm

WolfyBauwow wrote:Really Carl, to be honest, I can't make heads or tales of most of your muted mumblings and machinations. Ain't nobody got time fo dat. Clarity is a virtue.
I disagree. When I began listening to music, I began making up my own images, based on the feeling the music instilled into me. Then me learning English ruined it a bit. With the Nephs on the other hand the lyrics seem to evade meaning, instead they inspired even more images.

I also liked interviews where they said that, eg. the video for Psychonaut expressed best what the song was about while in another interview they said that it was their worst.

Or when Carl was asked whether a word in a song meant either "sun" or "son" and he answered "both".

Or when the official Neph website added lyrics in Carl's calligraphy, lot's of people had trouble deciphering them.

I do love 'em for that.

(And what I really can not stand are bands with elaborated lyrics but absolutely uninspired 'music' passing by in the background.)
"It's probably better to have him inside the tent pissing out, than outside the tent pissing in." -- Lyndon B. Johnson
WolfyBauwow
Psychonaut

Re: Prophecy

Post by WolfyBauwow » Mon Dec 16, 2019 10:31 pm

markandre13 wrote:
WolfyBauwow wrote:Really Carl, to be honest, I can't make heads or tales of most of your muted mumblings and machinations. Ain't nobody got time fo dat. Clarity is a virtue.
I disagree. When I began listening to music, I began making up my own images, based on the feeling the music instilled into me. Then me learning English ruined it a bit. With the Nephs on the other hand the lyrics seem to evade meaning, instead they inspired even more images.

I also liked interviews where they said that, eg. the video for Psychonaut expressed best what the song was about while in another interview they said that it was their worst.

Or when Carl was asked whether a word in a song meant either "sun" or "son" and he answered "both".

Or when the official Neph website added lyrics in Carl's calligraphy, lot's of people had trouble deciphering them.

I do love 'em for that.

(And what I really can not stand are bands with elaborated lyrics but absolutely uninspired 'music' passing by in the background.)
You make really great points! *notworthy* It can be a good thing when lyrics (or art in general) are kind of vague because it allows the listener to make it their own and draw their own meaning for it. As you say it's not ment to be anything literal. Just to evoke a feeling.
On the flip side, I'm a big fan of lyrics that tell a story too. Being that Carl is a big movie and soundtrack buff, I'm surprised he hasn't done more of that. But perhaps it just doesn't fit with what he wants to acheive with this project?

I also really like what you said about the sun vs son and love word and sound play, and using words with double meanings in my own songs too. It's an art unto itself. So I really appreciate that and what you are saying here on this.

When it comes to 'clarity' I was really referring more to the sound quality, not the lyrics themselves for the most part. I should have been more clear on that myself. Some things are just too mumbled or buried in the mix to hear. That can be good sometimes if you going for that sort of thing for a specific part, or creating a sort of wash with layers and such. But very bad for making out what is said. Especially if there is something you are trying to get across. But I suppose perhaps for some that adds to the mystery. I like mystery. But not too much mystery. At least in this case I know whodunit. :lol: Even if I don't know the specifics or fully understand the motive.