How did you first become aware of Nephilim's existence?

Discuss about the Nephilim, Nefilim, F.O.T.N. and other projects by Carl McCoy. Stay on-topic, all off-topic posts will either be deleted or moved to General Chat or elsewhere.

Moderators: Morphic, Blue Angel, The Fallen Ones

Sunchild
Moonchild

Re: How did you first become aware of Nephilim's existence?

Post by Sunchild » Sun May 28, 2017 2:37 am

The evening of July 11, 2014. Another music site mentioned them, I had a vague memory of hearing them back in the early 90's on MTV's 120 Minutes, so off to Youtube to satisfy my curiosity, clicked on "Elizium"-and the rest is history. Instantly hooked, utterly enchanted, have never heard a band like them, or an album like Elizium.
ThomasB
Nephilim

Post by ThomasB » Mon May 29, 2017 8:19 am

Welcome aboard the Shippe of fools, newbies !
Fundraiser. You know, it's like Hellraiser, but without the Cenobites, the blood and all that.
IN NOMINE NEMO !
paul-1970
Moonchild

Post by paul-1970 » Fri Mar 30, 2018 4:58 pm

I was a 17 year old in 1988 with an interest in the Sisters and the Mission. I was aware of the Fields of the Nephilim from NME and Melody Maker, mostly struck by the name and the image. The music I knew was (according to the music press) akin to gothic genre, but remained elusive to me because of the lack of air play and my know-how of hearing or acquiring anything by the band at that age in a small town 20 miles north of Manchester.

Then in a bizarre moment in June, while sunbathing outside my Mum and Dad's house and listening to the Top 40 on R1 (probably introduced by Bruno Brookes, Mark Goodier or some other mulleted muppet), Moonchild was played as an entry in the charts. Imagine suddenly hearing THAT amidst Tiffany, Climie Fisher and Kylie...

I can honestly say it was an epiphany moment. I definitely remember sitting bolt-upright and was completely consumed by the next few minutes. And a few months later there I was standing in the International II in Manchester at my first ever gig watching the band that had become my obsession.
Donkey Jacket
Moonchild

Post by Donkey Jacket » Fri Sep 07, 2018 1:36 pm

As a wee mini goth of 14 years old back in 2004, me mam and dad were goths in the 80s and introduced me to the music, first the sisters then discovered the nephs on the old internet, not sure what to make of them at first then i was hooked after a few songs. I was the only goth in the ex pit village.

Don't wear black anymore but still like the music
Nyarlathotep
Moonchild

Post by Nyarlathotep » Wed Sep 19, 2018 11:58 am

I was at my mate's house and his big brother played Nephs - he'd just bought the album that day.

I was about 14 - so that'd be about 1988.

I spent about the next two years or so looking for that album (it was a pretty rural area with approximately zero record shops).
Dollarhyde
Moonchild

Post by Dollarhyde » Fri Oct 26, 2018 6:44 pm

In 1989 i had a room in the "Van Merlenstraat" in the Hague, Holland. (I'm dutch, please don't watch to close on the english)
I got an audio cassette from a guy who lived in the same house. On that tape was a lot of gothic music from various bands. One of the songs was "Psychonaut lib III". From that moment i never ever had another favourite band.
On october the 13th 2018, i first saw them live at Coesfeld, Germany.
Let us witness the reincarnation of the sun
Ulfhednar
Moonchild

Post by Ulfhednar » Wed Dec 26, 2018 5:57 pm

Maybe 1986 when I was 16, looking to augment my older brothers Sisters of Mercy records I'd stolen off him. I may have acquired DawnRazor off him too, I remember buying Trees Come Down EP (or was that his), Preacher Man & Bluewater though. The Nephilim took over, alongside Syd Barrett (Opel was released 88). I went to see Neph first time either 88 or probably 89 at the Birmingham Hummingbird.

I realise now, it's all a load of Infinity mechanics.
Lysdexamphetamine33
Moonchild

Post by Lysdexamphetamine33 » Sat Nov 30, 2019 7:30 am

Nostalgia had hit me hard back in 2016, i started to hang out to the only popular joint (in my country) that played post-punk, darkwave and so on. After realizing FOTN had nothing to do with The Sisters Of Mercy (which i enjoy a lot) i found out that FOTN was way beyond "'80s post-punk goth" also i was beginning to grasp A.O Spare, Peter J. Carrol and had my epiphany after a coma which i was considered "dead" i had all kinds of visions and hallucinations, but i had never read or heard about clay tablets in Sumeria thousands years old and obviously couldn't make it up that story. These tablets and what was written depicts in detail all the stuff i saw moments before tracheostomy (24 hours to be precise) I remember that the "coma trip" was abruptly interrupted by that one vision who wake me up and shocked all the I.C.U medical staff. An acquaintance of mine suggested i should read what's left of Sumerian "History" and later on, from skeptical i got obssessed with overwhelming information i could not have foreseen, then, my "tarot readings" (which i started doing and studying from a skeptical base) started to impress those few around me and myself even.

Thats when i realized FOTN was way way way ahead of any " '80s goth band" and i regret not being able to experience Ceromonies in 2008 (since by the time it happened, i was 17yro and i live in Brazil) which makes... almost impossible to have the best experience in life (regarding "Music" concerts")

Well.. to make a long story short. i guess this is it.
Hat_Shades
Moonchild

Post by Hat_Shades » Tue Sep 15, 2020 2:20 am

Early '97 -- someone made me a copy of the second album. Didn't know what to make of it - "Endemoniada" hit me at first listen and has been my fav Nephs song ever since.

One year later, someone [another person] gave me ZOON. "A melodic listen" he smiled innocently.

23 years later, it has been one of the most extreme albums ever. Don't get me started with childish norwegian "black" bands -- they were laughable to begin with [can't argue with Varg on *this* one].

But that is how I was acquainted with the sounds and lyrics. I remember the first video I saw - Blue Water. The concept of dust and death -- and I had yet to figure out it was the Sisters who brought first the hats and shades into that twilight zone of rock mistakenly [but unshakebly ever since] has been called "gothic" or whatever.

(Which has given me laughts throughout the years granted how many veterans here seem to mock the Sisters and any possible influence - god forbid! - on the Nephs.

But they are the same veterans [?] that have mocked Carl for the last couple of years. Woops. I'd like to see you try one growl off "Step outside yourself" -- then you will have earned the right to mock the man).

But again, this just drew me to the visuals. But this is not the question at hand.

The question at hand is how did you first become aware of the nephilim's e x i s t e n c e .

That goes deeper than most would figure out [gatekeepers included].

I think it's when everything fell into place - for me at least. In a twilight zone of smoke and drunkedness, inhibitions down, shades on, stumbling in yet another manoeuvre of the 'goth dance' [ha!], amidst birds of prey, I found myself reconciled with the acid of the truth:

"I go to war sometimes when I'm walking on my own".

The nephilim's existence is a plane rooted in the darker - thus the truest - side of each person.

This sinking ship of a forum to which i make my first post is filled with surprisingly upbeat, realistic, down-to-earth complaints about how a new album was not delivered on time, or how people were conn'ed to gigs by thinking a physical CD would wait at the merch blah blah.

We're talking about the man who claimed his place in eternity for growling painful lyrics covered in flour in a haze of backlights and smoke machines.

Seek "realism" and "punctuality" in corporate-run bands who run on slick deadlines and well-planned tours of politically correct "entertainment business".

This is the voice - and face - of the abyss, pinned down to a shadowy, thin, and now ageing figure.

I became aware of Nephilim's existence when I dreamt of familiar places.