Setlist variation since 2007

Discuss about the Nephilim, Nefilim, F.O.T.N. and other projects by Carl McCoy. Stay on-topic, all off-topic posts will either be deleted or moved to General Chat or elsewhere.

Moderators: Morphic, Blue Angel, The Fallen Ones

Dravid
Moonchild

Setlist variation since 2007

Post by Dravid » Wed Apr 06, 2016 10:36 pm

There's been a fair amount of discussion on the issue of (the lack of) set list variation since Carl resumed playing live in 2007. So I took a quick look at Ande's online Nephilim gigography and exercised my counting skills. I didn't double check, hence this might contain the occasional error, yet I'm rather confident to be ready now to pass a prep school test.

67 gigs were played from the 24th Moment up to Berlin 2016. In those nine years, 15 tracks haved formed the backbone and have been played at last at (nearly) half of the shows (with Trees and Nightmare counted as one): Moonchild (67), Last Exit (52), Psychonaut (52), STTL (52), Love Under Will (48), Watchman (45), Mourning Sun (43), From The Fire (43), Shroud (40), Zoon (38), Dawnrazor (36), Penetration (33), Preacher Man (31), Trees/Nightmare (30 [17/13]), For Her Light (29).

Despite all shifts and variations in set lists, all of these songs have been performed more or less continuously with the exception of Penetration and Trees/Nightmare which were last played in 2013 apart from each reappearing once in 2015 (Penetration at Islington with Nergal, Nightmare in Whitby). Yet I believe it's too early to conclude that these have been dropped from the primary pool of songs (though I personally am not keen at all on Penetration and the massacred version of the grand song that Trees is).

Four further tracks have been played occasionally for limited periods: At The Gates (17), Chord Of Souls (16), New Gold Dawn (14), Endemoniada (12). Each of these has been played for some time and then been dropped again. It's too early to tell for At The Gates, the last (13 Hamburg - 15 Leipzig) of these to make it into the live set (and which for me should not be torn from the full four-part For Her Light). Chord has been reanimated twice (10 Athens - 11 Kortrijk + 13 Hamburg – 14 Warsaw). I have neglected Dead But Dreaming (mentioned 11 times) and only counted what was played live (although there is extensive use of backing tapes throughout; it's a pity Jon Carin never joined the Nephs on stage).

Eleven rarely played songs account for the remaining variation: Requiem (8), Vet (7), Xiberia (7), Harmonica Man (6), Sumerland (5), Wail of Sumer/ATWYHBA (2), Sequel (3), Shine (3), Celebrate (2), Blue Water (1), Xodus (1).

Of course there's also the one-and-a-half new songs presented since 2007: Prophecy (11), Equinox (8). I guess it's too early to tell what their live status is. This will presumably depend on whether there actually will be a release any time soon.

After looking into this I have to admit that there has been a bit more variation than I had thought. But just a bit. Of the twelve songs performed at the 24th Moment, while two have been dropped, ten have been played more or less continuously until today.

Limited variation is a consequence of the small back catalogue. Considering that there simply are not that many Nephilim songs, it is all the more surprising to see how many of these are performed so rarely. And that more than 14 classic songs have not seen a live showing at all since 07: Submission, Phobia, Slowkill, Volcane, Dust, Reanimator, Power, Secrets, Tower, Gehenna, Darkcell, Laura, Shiva, In Every Dreamhome A Heartache. I'm not even counting Senseless, The Comeback and the Fletcham 86 track which sounds like a Bela Lugosi Returns To Gehenna edit of Laura. In addition there are further songs from Zoon (not that I'm particularly keen on the latter apart from Coma) and from Fallen. She, like the cover of In The Year 2525, has also never been played live. Nor, so far, a full-blown Equinox. The latter is something I am very much looking forward to!
gilgamesh
Watcher

Re: Setlist variation since 2007

Post by gilgamesh » Thu Apr 07, 2016 11:11 am

Impressive piece of work!

Shows what I think many have felt, that the set is built around a staple few songs with some variation around them. I suppose it's what happens when there has been minimal new material in that period. I have felt recently that my Neph attending days were pretty much over due to the sameiness of the shows. There is only so long one can pretend its 1990/1.........!

I also suppose that it is hard to justify rehearsing all the songs as the tours are short and the sets of a standard 80/90 minute length and you have just the odd festival appearance as well. When you have the majority of the set settled why would you pay the hired hands to get familiar with other songs? I am surprised for instance to see Blue water and Sumerland in there with jus 6 between them- the latter in particular must have taken a lot of prep to get ready again for a live show so why drop it when that work had been done? Ditto WoS and ATWYHBA.

Demonstrates for me the need to get that new album, if there is to be one, out asap to get some variety in there. When I listen to Prophecy it is not exactly such a complicated masterpiece which requires 10 years of work...................
Dravid
Moonchild

Post by Dravid » Thu Apr 07, 2016 3:29 pm

gilgamesh wrote:Impressive piece of work!
Thanks, gilgamesh! Just a bit of quick counting…
gilgamesh wrote:Shows what I think many have felt, that the set is built around a staple few songs with some variation around them. I suppose it's what happens when there has been minimal new material in that period. I have felt recently that my Neph attending days were pretty much over due to the sameiness of the shows. There is only so long one can pretend its 1990/1.........!
…or 97 when hopes were up high again for a short while…nonetheless, I'm back to following them…the recent gigs were really good…

…but then I'm not as oversaturated by the shows as many others since I only returned to the game in 2013…prior to Tony's return I couldn't really stomach what was bordering on aural pain…and thought for some time that I had lost interest in Carl's Nephs for good after the release of Mourning Sun…
gilgamesh wrote:I also suppose that it is hard to justify rehearsing all the songs as the tours are short and the sets of a standard 80/90 minute length and you have just the odd festival appearance as well. When you have the majority of the set settled why would you pay the hired hands to get familiar with other songs?
…right…I had the same thought…but I'm not sure it pays off when you factor in that venues are getting smaller (haven't checked this systematically, however)
gilgamesh wrote:I am surprised for instance to see Blue water and Sumerland in there with jus 6 between them- the latter in particular must have taken a lot of prep to get ready again for a live show so why drop it when that work had been done?
…not sure about the prep…Sumerland sure didn't give that impression:

2010 Cologne (from 5:20):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U8Qr90pxzIU

2010 Wuerzburg:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oqKboquMYzU
What the heck are Lee and Snake playing here??

2010 Berlin:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6_iPO4WKSJI
Here the song is at least recognizable.

2011 Katowice:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o2b6KpGRroo
I continue to wonder how Carls' voice (which I had thought had already left for the other side in 2000) has made such a triumpant return from whatever this is.

Just as a reminder…this is the standard:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oXPOYU3mOIE

and also this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HYaDek7LPvE

As for Blue Water (from 26:30):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i8dbArSX1os
I consider Amphi 2014 the lowpoint of all shows played since 2013. GK appeared to be actively trying to loose all respect from those who are fans of the music. Good to see him concentrating on playing now. On top of Carl's stunning performances, on the recent tour it was Gav's improvement that was well worth noting.

But you're right, all of this could have worked as a starting point and I had hoped for an improved version of Blue Water to be played at Whitby and at the fantastic SBE shows.
gilgamesh wrote:Ditto WoS and ATWYHBA.
Right, similarly WOS/ATWYHBA. I had to check on those again. The video footage of Ad Mortem is not up on Yoube, unfortunately. And Ceromonies is completely worthless for these purposes due to heavy overdubbing (which still can't hide the problems). And the video is such an artificial clip, a compilation of shows up to Clisson 2010 plus some studio footage, with TE, e.g., playing up to four guitars during one song, that it doesn't even offer an impression of the Nephs playing live (despite the fun of seeing the Nemos and a few familiar faces in the audience).

The first night of Athens not long before in 2008 was a nice surprise:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-UPmyODHu_w
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YWG8UEHgvqI
I hadn't watched this for a long time. Carl's voice better here than on Ceromonies. The rest, well, to put it nicely: Once more my impression is that they didn't practise a lot. It's such a shame this epic was omitted from Visionary Heads!
gilgamesh wrote:Demonstrates for me the need to get that new album, if there is to be one, out asap to get some variety in there. When I listen to Prophecy it is not exactly such a complicated masterpiece which requires 10 years of work...................
As for Prophecy, yeah, well, it's good for dancing :mrgreen:
Dravid
Moonchild

Post by Dravid » Thu Dec 29, 2016 2:10 pm

With this year's shows over and no gigs announced for next spring, we've now had 10 full years of stage appearances. Time for an update. So, adding Azkena, the Summer Solstice, Castle Party, and the Winter Solstice to the above:

71 gigs in total

the backbone:
Moonchild (71), Last Exit (56), Psychonaut (56), STTL (52), Love Under Will (51), Watchman (46), Mourning Sun (46), From The Fire (45), Zoon (41), Shroud (40), Dawnrazor (40), Penetration (34), For Her Light (32), Preacher Man (31), Trees/Nightmare (31 [18/13])

occasionally for limited periods:
At The Gates (18), Chord Of Souls (16), New Gold Dawn (14), Endemoniada (12)

rare:
Requiem (8), Vet (7), Xiberia (7), Harmonica Man (7), Sumerland (6), Wail of Sumer/ATWYHBA (3), Sequel (3), Shine (3), Celebrate (2), Blue Water (1), Xodus (1), Paradise Regained (1)

new:
Prophecy (15), Equinox (8)

Zoon climbs one spot because Shroud (like STTL) has not been played for 2+ years.

Prophecy currently an integral part of the setlist, Equinox might have already been dropped again.
Dravid
Moonchild

Post by Dravid » Mon Dec 25, 2017 2:08 pm

Time for the annual update. Leaving aside Carl's and Gav's private show at FluxBau Berlin on May 13 only two gigs to add, with the most recent one being very special, however, as the following list makes clear. 73 shows in total now since resuming gigging in 2007. And about time to dissolve the category of 'new' songs.

the backbone:
Moonchild (73), Last Exit (58), Psychonaut (58), STTL (52), Love Under Will (52), Mourning Sun (48), Watchman (46), From The Fire (45), Zoon (43), Dawnrazor (41), Shroud (40), Penetration (34), For Her Light (33), Preacher Man (31), Trees/Nightmare (31 [18/13])

occasionally for limited periods:
At The Gates (20), Prophecy (17), Chord Of Souls (16), New Gold Dawn (14), Endemoniada (12)

rare:
Requiem (8), Vet (8), Equinox (8), Xiberia (7), Harmonica Man (7), Sumerland (6), Wail of Sumer/ATWYHBA (3), Sequel (3), Shine (3), Celebrate (3), Blue Water (1), Xodus (1), Paradise Regained (1), Darkcell (1)

Mourning Sun one up/Watchman one down....same for Dawnrazor/Shroud (not played for another year)...Prophecy now added to the 2nd category, but actually part of the backbone since first played...last year's fears concerning Equinox seem to prove true so now added to the 3rd category

This year's Winter Solstice featuring THREE of the rare songs, including the first showing of Darkcell since at least 86 if not 85...Darkcell was never before available on any known live recording.
Moonchild
Watcher

Post by Moonchild » Wed Dec 27, 2017 2:03 pm

Thanks for the update. Always makes for interesting reading. The inclusion of Darkcell at the recent show in London took everybody by surprise. It will be interesting to see if there are any further surprises in store at the next gigs in Porto and Madrid (I suspect not but you never know.)
Sunchild
Moonchild

Post by Sunchild » Fri Dec 29, 2017 10:10 pm

There are several recent performances of Earthbound on Youtube, but no mention of it here.
Dravid
Moonchild

Post by Dravid » Fri Dec 29, 2017 10:50 pm

Sunchild wrote:There are several recent performances of Earthbound on Youtube, but no mention of it here.
It's called Equinox. Earthbound was the fans' best guess (due to the prior tour of the same name) when the setlists only gave away the initial letter.
Ngie
Leviathan

Post by Ngie » Sat Oct 13, 2018 8:28 pm

Dravid wrote:Volcane
So tonight Volcane or *cthulhu* ?
Sunchild
Moonchild

Post by Sunchild » Sun Nov 04, 2018 3:32 am

Note: I am well aware of Carl's attitude towards Fallen. But he has occ. played From the Fire off of that album.

Any idea why he has totally disowned Hollow Doll tho? They're the two best cuts off of said album.
WolfyBauwow
Psychonaut

Post by WolfyBauwow » Thu Feb 13, 2020 3:17 am

Dravid wrote:
Despite all shifts and variations in set lists, all of these songs have been performed more or less continuously with the exception of Penetration and Trees/Nightmare which were last played in 2013 apart from each reappearing once in 2015 (Penetration at Islington with Nergal, Nightmare in Whitby). Yet I believe it's too early to conclude that these have been dropped from the primary pool of songs (though I personally am not keen at all on Penetration and the massacred version of the grand song that Trees is).
hmm seems like a lot of variation to me considering if its hard to get the whole group together to learn new stuff if they have side gigs and no time to practice them.

Penetration with Nergal? hmm

this? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cIW2b3yAP34

What is Carl saying at 6:30? "this is about ?? This is for Nergal" it sounds like - this is about..rave whores?? :lol:
So is that what they are doing on the weekends?
I don't know, somehow I would never have pictured Carl and Nergal going to raves to pick up women...