Forum software update to MyBB

Announcements by the Moderators and Admins.

Moderator: The Fallen Ones

markandre13
Leviathan

Forum software update to MyBB

Post by markandre13 » Mon Aug 06, 2012 11:19 am

Hello as phpBB is a pain in the arse when it comes to installing extensions, I've begun experimenting with another software called MyBB. A prelimary demo can be found at http://dawnrazor.co.uk/mybb/. It's still a work in progress. I've tried to make it resembling the current forum as much as possible plus some minor tweaks.

If someone finds there something which sucks, please reply to this thread.

IMPORTANT: Postings at /mybb/ will be deleted in a few weeks!
"It's probably better to have him inside the tent pissing out, than outside the tent pissing in." -- Lyndon B. Johnson
NorthernNephilim
Nephilim

Re: Forum software update to MyBB

Post by NorthernNephilim » Mon Aug 06, 2012 4:14 pm

like the cheers button *notworthy*
markandre13
Leviathan

Post by markandre13 » Mon Aug 06, 2012 5:17 pm

Yeah. Once one gets used to FB's Like-button, you'll miss it here. :)

Also in case of a dispute, the moderators can send a post back into the moderation queue instead of deleting it. I wrote such an extension for phpBB which does the same, but it's not possible to integrate that as an add-on. (I still have to check if the author of a queued post can re-edit his post. And that the moderators get an email if a post was added to/edited in the queue.)

A feature like "view active topics" seems also missing. But there's an RSS feed as a work-around.

But unlike phpBB, MyBB has a working add-on system. So if something doesn't work as we need it there'll be an add-on for that. (Eg. I plan to write one which puts all posts containing the word 'kitchen' into the moderation queue. For months we have to delete two or three of those spams per week!)

It's also easy to add additional links to the sites header. Eg. to the official FotN site & forum as well as Sumerland.
"It's probably better to have him inside the tent pissing out, than outside the tent pissing in." -- Lyndon B. Johnson
captaino
Dawnrazor

Post by captaino » Wed Aug 08, 2012 8:03 am

Thanx for the lot of work !
markandre13
Leviathan

Post by markandre13 » Wed Aug 08, 2012 10:49 am

captaino wrote:Thanx for the lot of work !
*notworthy* I'm a known computer addict, stuff like this gives me a kick. And the riffraff around here is close to my heart. :wink:
Naphtalin
Moonchild

Post by Naphtalin » Thu Aug 09, 2012 3:58 pm

captaino wrote:Thanx for the lot of work !
I press the "like" button.

Just one thing : can we still have the dates written in clear instead of figures; I find it easier to sort out the new threads from the old ones? please :)
Le site http://www.ClicAnimaux.com permet en un clic de nourrir gratuitement un animal abandonné.
wshaffer
Psychonaut

Post by wshaffer » Sat Aug 11, 2012 10:49 pm

Naphtalin wrote:
I press the "like" button.

Just one thing : can we still have the dates written in clear instead of figures; I find it easier to sort out the new threads from the old ones? please :)
I also like the dates written out, if that's not too difficult. Every time I see something like 7-12-2012, I have to stop and think, "Is that American or European date notation?" (Funny thing is, I do this even if it's 7-24-2012, even though there's no 24th month. There is a 24th moment, though.)

The new site looks good, and I love the idea that our kitchen spammers will be automatically moderated. (What is it about kitchens and this board? I admittedly do often listen to Fields of the Nephilim while I cook. But still.)

I did find one small-ish glitch - when I entered an incorrect login password, the text on the "you have entered an incorrect password" box is very nearly the same color as the background. (With Firefox 14/Windows 7, I had to highlight the text to be able to read it at all. With Safari on a Mac there was slightly more contrast, but it's still pretty hard to read.)
Naphtalin
Moonchild

Post by Naphtalin » Sun Aug 12, 2012 9:24 pm

wshaffer wrote:
I also like the dates written out, if that's not too difficult.
In fact you can change it by yourself,
log in, go to your profile, there is an "edit option" on the left and there you can change the date appearance.
Le site http://www.ClicAnimaux.com permet en un clic de nourrir gratuitement un animal abandonné.
markandre13
Leviathan

Post by markandre13 » Sun Aug 12, 2012 10:00 pm

Every adjustment you guys have to make after a switch, I do consider a bug in the scripts which convert the forum to MyBB. I have to admit that I've already filled six bug reports plus fixes to the MyBB team.
Seems they've never encountered the Dawnrazors. :wink:
But I still believe that their software is better.

Thanks a lot for the feedback folks. *notworthy*

I will see to give the new software another test run in a week.
And please don't thank me, you have a) no idea how much fun this is for me and b) there's still a possibility that this whole idea turns out as being bollocks, which will make those "thanks" an even bigger burden on my shoulders, and I'm really not tower foundation material. *whistle*
oldnephilim
Nephilim

Post by oldnephilim » Mon Aug 20, 2012 1:57 pm

Well, tbh I don't understand a word about these technical bollocks, though I think
you're doing a great job and I like to fcuking THANK YOU MATE

:D :D *notworthy* *notworthy* :D :D
“The Nephilim were on the earth in those days, and also afterward, when the sons of God came in to the daughters of man and they bore children to them. These were the mighty men who were of old, the men of renown.”
markandre13
Leviathan

Post by markandre13 » Thu Aug 30, 2012 11:45 pm

Just to give you an update: I'm still fixing bugs in the phpBB to MyBB converter and finally came around to do a thing which I said I would do when I took over hosting the forum: I've changed all occurrences of http://www.imaginarywalls.com/forum/ into http://dawnrazor.co.uk/forum/, so if someone wants to browse through old posts which reference some other old posts: This is working now.

And now the $64 dollar question: What is worse: Technical or Mythical Bollocks? :mrgreen:
ThomasB
Nephilim

Post by ThomasB » Fri Aug 31, 2012 7:19 am

oldnephilim wrote:Well, tbh I don't understand a word about these technical bollocks, though I think
you're doing a great job and I like to fcuking THANK YOU MATE

:D :D *notworthy* *notworthy* :D :D
Ditto, ditto ! *notworthy*

Even if, as you say, it does not turn out to be as great as expected, you deserve it just for the effort you put into this ! *cthulhu*
Fundraiser. You know, it's like Hellraiser, but without the Cenobites, the blood and all that.
IN NOMINE NEMO !