Respect

Keep talking.

Moderators: Morphic, Blue Angel, The Fallen Ones

BlackSun
Dawnrazor

Re: Respect

Post by BlackSun » Wed Jun 10, 2009 1:46 pm

Blue Angel wrote:..age old diferences about the humourless, Carl worshippers vs... well... we don't seem to have a term for the others but I'm sure someone will come up with one...
Sounds like a request to me :D

how about I start the ball rolling in a new thread....

....you'll have to forgive me I'm on silly street today!
ThomasB
Nephilim

Post by ThomasB » Wed Jun 10, 2009 4:09 pm

moomaaman wrote:
Bau wrote:
Banter on DR ? But just a distant memory ....... :cry:
Can I join in the bantering ?
I thought references to jism, pubic hair emporium, bikes, noshing, wolves, towezrs and "play Zoon yer cnuts" was quite banterful indeed…
If there's better (or worse) anywhere else, I wanna be in ! *smoking*
Fundraiser. You know, it's like Hellraiser, but without the Cenobites, the blood and all that.
IN NOMINE NEMO !
Lord Mureth
Nephilim

Post by Lord Mureth » Wed Jun 10, 2009 7:02 pm

Blue Angel wrote:Good point but sadly not always possible to divulge the exact nature of who has made the complaint...

At this point you either trust the moderator or you don't, no different from any other forum...
I doubt if anyone would want an internal (ie, DR) member to be 'named and shamed' for making a complaint about another member or post; but when it's external pressure, I think it'd be nice to know roughly who we're dealing with here - not so much in terms of specific instances of threads being edited or locked, but just generally it would be nice to know "who" is watching us :wink:

Of course we can all guess at the above; but surely that would then put DR in the strange position of being a "semi-official" forum, if it is subject to such constraints? In which case, surely it'd be about time that we were acknowledged on a certain offical site? *whistle*
ThomasB
Nephilim

Post by ThomasB » Wed Jun 10, 2009 8:59 pm

Hm, I guess our Lord and shaver got it pretty much nailed out…
Either we are an official forum, or we are not. Just like you are pregnant or you are not.
Heck, The Eden House has a presence here, I think Last Rites too, and everyone was pretty civil… so far.
Or is it all part of the mystique ? Or bollocks. Or mystical bollocks. Or something… *whistle*
Fundraiser. You know, it's like Hellraiser, but without the Cenobites, the blood and all that.
IN NOMINE NEMO !
moomaaman
Dawnrazor

Post by moomaaman » Wed Jun 10, 2009 10:33 pm

Jeez, will you guys just cut BA some slack, and show HIM some respect? Remember that he is here for just the same reasons as the rest of us. Lest we forget, the real reason that BA is perhaps getting 'requests' from elsewhere is generally because of the pointless speculation and OBSESSION over trivial nonsense that is banded around this forum by its users, all too often, without any thought of consequence. Im fairly sure he's sick of justifying himself , and he shouldn't have to, IMHO. So change the subject, put up and shut up, and leave BA the fcuk alone to enjoy himself here like the rest of us.

And while Im at it, Marduck, give it a rest. You're quite welcome here I'm sure, but please communicate in the same dimension as everyone else.
cover his eyes, so that he not over-analyse
Lord Mureth
Nephilim

Post by Lord Mureth » Thu Jun 11, 2009 8:24 am

Sorry.... what's Ville Valo got to do with this? :wink: :lol:

Seriously, I'm not knocking Blue Angel at all. He does a great job, in what are sometimes difficult circumstances. He can have all the slack he wants... :shock:

My point is that surely, as a fan based forum that's slowly being infiltrated and mutated into a semi-official one, surely we as members of said forum should have free "We are Legion" T shirts now, as a kind of windfall payment? :lol:
squishy
Nephilim

Post by squishy » Thu Jun 11, 2009 9:17 am

I wasn't knocking BA either - given the circumstances he does a wonderful job here indeed. And I absolutely don't mind him moderating the forum the way he likes and according to his whim. The problem is that "other" - and priviledged - presence of the Ones in the Know; actually, not so much their presence as their moderation of our moderators . . .

Is it an entirely unofficial, fan-based enterprise or an official, band-endorsed forum - or neither? That semi-officiality Lord Mureth wrote about is very problematic: on the one hand DR is unacknowledged officially and the official, overt contact between its members and the Powers that Be is nearly nonexistent; no benefits of an official forum here. On the other hand there's some sort of covert external control, which too is rather strange - everybody knows who supervises official forums and what the rules of moderation more or less are, and here Those in the Know remain vague if not invisible. Watchers indeed.

No fair.

But then my holidays are over and I won't be spending much time here anymore. If I'm the only one worried - and, to be honest, I'm not sure if I'm involved enough to be properly worried - then there's no problem here worth talking about. Squishy's out ;)
remember what the doorknob said
weebleswobble
BayWatcher

Post by weebleswobble » Thu Jun 11, 2009 11:36 am

well I'm all for knocking BA, his planes are always late and the ticket charges from London to Glasgow are excessive
The first bit sounds like Bruce Wayne, and the second bit sounds like Batman.
ned the otter
Watcher

Post by ned the otter » Thu Jun 11, 2009 11:38 am

I don't really care if this is an official FotN forum or not, it doesn't bother me.

Certain people on here are more than welcome to their empire building/power struggles/mind games/ who is more official than who bullshit, but not for me I'm afraid.

I'm just a Neph fan, in all its past concoctions, line ups, musical diversity, etc., looking forward to the future.

As I've mentioned on here before, we have a forum for our local boozer. We have one rule and one rule only...

BE NICE OR GO HOME

Think on, people.
'.....WE WELCOME YOUR FATE.....'
Bau
Nephilim

Post by Bau » Thu Jun 11, 2009 2:52 pm

moomaaman wrote:
Bau wrote: Also I smell an air of disrespect when referring to FOTN and the various musician who have come and gone, as if they had no right to be there, to the point of calling them 'frauds' i.
The reference 'frauds of the nephilim' is to a thread a long time ago , where I came up with the term ' frauds of the nephilim' as a joke name for a FOTN tribute band, it was just a 'jokey' reference to some banter way back when..... some of us here like to have a bit of ' banter' rather than treat it as our personal blog.
Theres no disrespect to anyone.... Ive actually got better things to do than spending all my time over analysing and making pointless speculation about members of a band which is but a shadow of its former self.

Banter on DR ? But just a distant memory ....... :cry:
I had a sniff again at that thread :
moomaaman wrote:I hate polls but Here I am , devils advocate. mmmmwahhahaha.......

Heres the choice, a full hour and a halfs gig...... would you rather see

a. Carl Mccoy and a mediocre fields of the nephilim tribute band playing FOTN classics
b. Paul and Nod, Tony and Peter ( i.e the original FOTN minus the vocalist) with a different (suitably gravelly )vocalist playing FOTN classics?
this isn't about a 'fictitious' band it is implying original singer and backing musicians vs original line up minus original singer.

you say you are devils advocate, well its hot in hell and if you can't take the heat....

aside from this, its accurate what BA said, I certainly wasn't out to attack you personally Moo, it was an example of the overall climate and nature of a lot of discussion.

@BA - I didn't mean to point a finger at you either, in that I understand your position , and what you said makes sense that you edit as you receive complaints. I understand that it is a fine line your have to walk and impossible to please everyone.

What I was trying to point out was the climate of things and the fact that in general people don't complain and think its ok for some but not for others it seems very 'unbalanced' to me.

Also what I was especially trying to point out and what doesn't make sense is that BA gets pressure from someone from management when something is said about them, or others connected with FOTN, but Not when its slander about CARL. err...Something wrong with this picture? Also IMHO their tactics of contacting the moderators to hush things up privately instead of just civilly coming on and making a brief statement is very mafioso, unbecoming and uncalled for. It certainly shows a lot of disrespect IMHO

as far as banter, it dropped off , certainly for me,after the whole 'animal humor' thread and complaints about the banter and DR being used a s a personal blog, and my being PMed by BA. Again , its seems a case of ok sometimes for some but not for others. Y'all need to make up yer mind. I post a lot from my own view and experiences because, as such, I know its true.

viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1899&st=0&sk=t&sd=a ... r&start=20

I'm not into censorship myself. I like stuff to be left up as evidence of people nastiness. And the responses to that as well can be insightful and of value. Though I can understand the need for it at times. I just don't like the whiff I've been getting of a stench of injustice.
Twist of fate wont give me a break and myself I'm slow and tired ~ COC
Bau
Nephilim

Post by Bau » Thu Jun 11, 2009 3:00 pm

Marduk wrote:Well I guess you have to separate first:
a) musicians who created original sons
b) who were told how to play those
I bet most are playing something they didn´t compose;
doing it best possible way, and a bit atleast, own way. Respect.

Fraud mabee a person who talks, walks, dress, and acts like original.
Or is hired to do that.
Shall we respect a similacrum from Disneyland?
you make some good points. I guess its up to the individual musician too. If they join the band because they love the music and are out to do thier best, or they have no respect for it and only care about getting paid at the end of the day.

I don't think its wrong for the joining members to dress the part and try to reproduce the songs well, your on a stage for people to watch you and to entertain them, it part trying to put on a good show. It doesn't seem as if it was a manditory thing with FOTN, after all Tom didn't wear the hat and duster etc.

yes respect the guy in the costume at disneyland because they are making little kids happy. Well most of the time.... if they aren't scaring the piss out of them. *whistle*
gingerpazuzu
Nephilim

Post by gingerpazuzu » Thu Jun 11, 2009 10:35 pm

I have to say that I find it quite unfathomable that FOTN management are not able or prepared to post responses to some of the comments that have been made here in light of their obvious unhappiness at them but have chosen to approach the moderator...why? .The managemant have posted on the forum before but seem unwilling to answer questions despite in previous posts saying they were happy to do so,obviously this doesnt seem to be the casse or is it only on certain matters they are willing to talk about,a shame as it would give us the chance on the board to hear there views in response to what is being posted.A missed opportunity IMHO.

BA-I apreciate you have a very difficult job,you have to listen to complaints + at the same time try to please us all,not an easy task *notworthy* *notworthy*

As for the crticism of band members "dressing up",surely its part of the whole live experience + adds to the ambience.
ThomasB
Nephilim

Post by ThomasB » Thu Jun 11, 2009 10:57 pm

[quote="Bau"]

I don't think its wrong for the joining members to dress the part and try to reproduce the songs well, your on a stage for people to watch you and to entertain them, it part trying to put on a good show. It doesn't seem as if it was a manditory thing with FOTN, after all Tom didn't wear the hat and duster etc. /quote]

At the Eurorock concert, only McCoy was in FOTN regalia. The other were quite plain. No hat or whatever. And the concert was still fooking brilliant.
As long as the guys don't look like extras for Erasure, which would pull out the whole mystique, can't say I care if the lads don't turn out disguised as extras from a Sergio Leone movie. As long as the music is there…
IN NOMINE NEMO !
moomaaman
Dawnrazor

Post by moomaaman » Thu Jun 11, 2009 11:14 pm

Bau wrote: you say you are devils advocate, well its hot in hell and if you can't take the heat....
Get out of the kitchen.........

Consider it done, in all honesty the kitchen has started to smell unsavoury , not just of the same rotting putrid stale food which has been on the menu for time eternal, but also because theres a handful of chefs who sleep in the kitchen day and night, in the same old clothes, which make it quite unhygienic for those just trying to get a light bite.

Some of you have my number, give me a call if theres any carnage in the future, or if anything interesting ever happens with FOTN, or more importantly, TEH. laters.
cover his eyes, so that he not over-analyse
Mouse
Watcher

Post by Mouse » Fri Jun 12, 2009 9:09 am

:cry:
you know what Jimmy Summerville said! :cry:
Bau
Nephilim

Post by Bau » Fri Jun 12, 2009 2:26 pm

oh Moo, I'm sorry if I'm offending you, I would hope you would know I would not mean to do that. I didn't mean that you should leave DR :( just implying that if you are going to post stuff that hits a nerve or is 'controversial' be prepared to take what goes with it, opposing and heated opinions. It seemed like you knew what you were getting yourself into by the DA comment *whistle* Stay and make trouble, I do :wink:

@GP- you always put things better than I can in few words *notworthy*

on that note, realy I guess I could sum things up with just wanting to see all the musicians treated with some manner of basic respect, no matter what their roll or involvement has been, despite opinion of the person/s and their significance/value.

As much is expected in the way of basic civility toward the members of the board....usually.
morphicfields

Post by morphicfields » Fri Jun 12, 2009 2:30 pm

Until there's a link to this forum on the FOTN site I will never regard it or any post in it in anyway official or factual.
Reading a lot of the comments posted on here lately it seems that the band and/or management would have been better off leaving this forum well alone and sticking to using their website and myspace for official news.
Due to the lack of follow up on their posts, this is presumably what they have decided to do.
*cthulhu*
gingerpazuzu
Nephilim

Post by gingerpazuzu » Fri Jun 12, 2009 3:22 pm

*notworthy* *notworthy* Well put,as this this isnt an offical site anything of a factual nature should be psoted on the officail site,maybe the management should pay more attention to updating that site wich we all know is woefully out of date rather than spending time here *whistle*
weebleswobble
BayWatcher

Post by weebleswobble » Fri Jun 12, 2009 4:55 pm

Bau works for the official management, the plan is to have her ostracize every menber so that no one logs on ever again.... *whistle*
The first bit sounds like Bruce Wayne, and the second bit sounds like Batman.
ThomasB
Nephilim

Post by ThomasB » Fri Jun 12, 2009 8:20 pm

weebleswobble wrote:Bau works for the official management, the plan is to have her ostracize every menber so that no one logs on ever again.... *whistle*
(Crossing arms, staring defiantly)
If they think they can get rid of us that easily, they have another thing coming !
IN NOMINE NEMO !