Respect

Keep talking.

Moderators: Morphic, Blue Angel, The Fallen Ones

Blue Angel
Nephilim

Respect

Post by Blue Angel » Tue Dec 16, 2008 1:23 pm

Recently I received a pm from one of our members. It was a rather long but clearly heartfelt plea to try and return the Forum to a more harmonious place. The implication of course that as a collective we have become more disrespectful of others in some of our threads. By others I mean people who are not on the forum and in particular, members of the band and Management who take stick all the time. The message came at a time when I found myself deleting threads filled with venom and bile about a certain "artiste". The pm was unconnected by the way.

The timing was interesting... it made me think, as a collective are we obnoxious or derogaory to all outside the circle? And if we are should we be more respectful or at least find less abusive/vitriolic ways of making the point...

Any thoughts?
Fields of the Neffalump

Jism!
Rorschach
Dawnrazor

Post by Rorschach » Tue Dec 16, 2008 2:17 pm

"If you don't have anything nice to say, don't say nothin!"

Admittedly a double-negative, but you get the point.

While genuinely not referring to anyone, there is a tendancy not to use emoticons, which can give an entirely different slant to what you post :!:

Other than that, I think we're a pretty happy bunch here. :D

Rorschach
oldnephilim
Nephilim

Post by oldnephilim » Tue Dec 16, 2008 2:30 pm

Rorschach wrote:"If you don't have anything nice to say, don't say nothin!"
Agreed mate - but sometimes it's good to have a good laugh, also.
But some borderlines should be respected!

Other than that, I think we're a pretty happy bunch here. :D
Yeah right - play Blue Water, you nuts! :D
“The Nephilim were on the earth in those days, and also afterward, when the sons of God came in to the daughters of man and they bore children to them. These were the mighty men who were of old, the men of renown.”
angry bob
Nephilim

Post by angry bob » Tue Dec 16, 2008 2:41 pm

You can't please everyone can ya? :lol:
What bugs me is that internet these days can be very powerful tool, it may affect someones life what you say. And that's something we should consider twice before we post something here i reckon. On the other hand as Wild Bill Buttock once said to me 'what i write on the forum not necesarily has to be what i believe'. Following that i suggest everyone to be cool and keep their feet on the ground. Me, if i ever offended anyone i apologise... never meant to do so. It's just the sense of humour, but i can't help i'm a person who you can pour a bucket of shit words on and i'll be still laughing. But i'm not a cynic. I respect people for what they believe say do think it's just that at the end of the day i don't give a shit :)

Rorschach wrote:happy bunch here
what bunch? :twisted:
morning comes as light burning out my eyes
Lord Mureth
Nephilim

Post by Lord Mureth » Tue Dec 16, 2008 3:03 pm

I guess most of us here behave - or rather "talk" - in much the same way as we would in the real world, if we were all in a pub together (yes, I know half of you lucky bastids have been recently, but that's beside the point!) - and therein lies the problem.

If we slag off anyone that isn't on Dawnrazor, for the most part it won't be noticed. But the internet is a surprisingly small place; and the goth part of it is a lot smaller. So anything we say can be viewed by others, and can often be taken at face value, rather than the usual good-hearted nature with which it was intended. But to be honest, for the most part, I don't have a problem with most of the things that have gone on here of late - with a few exceptions, and they have all been dealt with successfully by the mods.

My rule of thumb is that it's fine to slag off (or take the piss out of) a person's art; but not the person themselves.

As for internal matters, that's a different kettle of fish. More than anything else I think emoticons are important here, just to make sure that the right intonation comes across; ie, we're just being silly buggers rather just plain nasty.

But having said all that, we've all had run-ins with various people on here in the past, and we've all probably said things that we've regretted. But usually they are dealt with and the "issues" resolved. But I rather like the 'bear pit' nature of Dawnrazor, and don't want to see too much censorship. We're all just normal people here, an we behave in much the same way that any group would... just with more flour :wink:
weebleswobble
BayWatcher

Post by weebleswobble » Tue Dec 16, 2008 4:08 pm

CNUTS
The first bit sounds like Bruce Wayne, and the second bit sounds like Batman.
angry bob
Nephilim

Post by angry bob » Tue Dec 16, 2008 4:26 pm

Blue, I urge you lock this topic immediately

btw, these emoticons you call them, what is this all about? i don't get it :arrow: *cthulhu* "kill the bastard"? :idea:
or *notworthy* :o "a blowjob"?
morning comes as light burning out my eyes
weebleswobble
BayWatcher

Post by weebleswobble » Tue Dec 16, 2008 4:37 pm

oldnephilim
Nephilim

Post by oldnephilim » Tue Dec 16, 2008 4:39 pm

weebleswobble wrote:CNUTS
you mean this:
http://www.flipflopflyin.com/cnuts/cnuts.html

??? :shock:
“The Nephilim were on the earth in those days, and also afterward, when the sons of God came in to the daughters of man and they bore children to them. These were the mighty men who were of old, the men of renown.”
weebleswobble
BayWatcher

Post by weebleswobble » Tue Dec 16, 2008 5:02 pm

You are my brothers and sisters-especially the ones I carnage with. It can at times get a wee bit colourful, but if I ever offend anyone (and they are truly worthy) I would always apologise.

Anyone else lacking in the sufficient level of humour can always *+$$" in their &&))(¬¬¬ while &&!¬¬_>><< up the %%^XZ
frog

Post by frog » Tue Dec 16, 2008 5:18 pm

i *+$$" in their &&))(¬¬¬ while &&!¬¬_>><< up the %%^XZ`d yesterday, wasn`t nice, so you`ve been warned
wild bill buttock
Nephilim

Post by wild bill buttock » Tue Dec 16, 2008 6:53 pm

I think a lot depends on whether you take Dawnrazor as being an irreverent discussion forum where you can voice your opinions, however controversial,
Or whether you think of it as a place were only snivelling sicophants are allowed to post.

Yes the language is colourful and the piss taking is regular but, for the most part, not malicious.
I wouldn't say anything on here that I wouldn't say to anyones face.
And yes, I do enjoy playing devil's advocate.
But for anyone to say I'm not passionate about FOTN would be a lie. It's because I am passionate about the band that I make posts some people object to. The thing is we can, and have made a difference. People from the McCoy camp (if not the bloke himself) read this forum.
Do you think "and here your heart...." and "Celebrate" got onto the setlists by accident? Or did somebody read this forum? Initially the press and most other Neph forums raved about the 2007 24th moment gig, the only voices of dissent came from here and then we get a line up change and (whilst far from perfect in my opinion) we get 100% improvement for 2008.
You really think McCoy cares if we take the piss? If he does he maintains a dignified silence about it. And in the light of recent events much respect is due to him.
squishy
Nephilim

Post by squishy » Tue Dec 16, 2008 7:19 pm

Bad mouth trouble? Nothing that can be got rid of, thank God!

And there's always Mother Nature to help as out as well. Take your pick:

Whatever rocks your boat, as my eccentric grandpa would always say.
remember what the doorknob said
ned the otter
Watcher

Post by ned the otter » Tue Dec 16, 2008 7:23 pm

My local boozer has a forum.

We have one simple rule.

BE NICE OR GO HOME.

(This rule gets broken on a regular basis, much to the merryment of everybody else, apart from the party on the receiving end of our jolly japes and wheezes and has nearly ended up with a massive brawl on a couple of occaisions. Therefore, these days we are a little more thoughtful with our posts........)
aidy
Dawnrazor

Post by aidy » Tue Dec 16, 2008 9:53 pm

hi all

im in bills camp {not lituraly}{cant spell either}

if i take the piss or say something its what id say to their face and if i have offended sorry {i have read some things on here and thought thats uncalled for but thats that persons opinon}

we do live in a world of so called free speach

we are all on this forum because of one band realy and the off spins

i wouldnt slag them off without due course and also i wouldnt suck up either

in fact that goes for anybody {you all know me i say what i think }{sometimes its only funny too me}

but lets not get too serious and if someone is offended let them say what and who offended them ??

by the way blue we didnt offend you did we

sorry for the waffle

but you know i love you all *notworthy* *notworthy*

aidy
TELL ME ? WHERES YOUR LOVE ?? TELL ME ? WHERES YOUR HEART ??
http://www.myspace.com/dawnrazoraidy
Mouse
Watcher

Post by Mouse » Wed Dec 17, 2008 12:16 am

deja vu anyone? been here said that...
moomaaman
Dawnrazor

Post by moomaaman » Wed Dec 17, 2008 12:35 am

If I'm in any way responsible for creating any 'unharmony' then I am sorry for that, and if my 'vocal' nature offends anyone, then again I am sorry for any offense caused .
But I find sycophants offensive, I find arrogance offensive, and I find rudeness offensive, and I will let it be known.
For the best part this place has many positives, not least new friendships made, and old ones rekindled, and carnages to be had.

However there are some here that over-analyse every little thing, including the bands bowel movements, and that needs to stop. Its bordering on obsession, and its no wonder that they keep their distance.

The recent little upset was just that, no major harm done.
I don't think we should start to soulsearch too much.
The positives of this place far outweigh the negatives.

Though there are a few wankers about ;)
(correct use of an emoticon- I believe....)
cover his eyes, so that he not over-analyse
Bau
Nephilim

Post by Bau » Wed Dec 17, 2008 2:22 am

hmmm this realy opens a can of worms in way on the subject of free speech. A big subject with many gray areas.

Granted it is a moderated forum, so those running things can have it anyway they like. It you only want people with a P in there names or only people with black hair than thats their right I guess.

What I like about the forum is it does have an element of chaos and fun to it, like a concert :wink: as apposed to scientific study- sterility. I like the variety of opposing opinions and debate.

I thought the point was to discuss the music and the artists , feeling free to voice opinions both good AND bad. Praise AND criticism. But what I see happening is that it is becoming more and more like a 'police state' where one has to walk on eggshells as not to offend 'the powers that be' or speak out a negative word again the establishment or anyone on the board (or mabee just certain members)for that matter, even crack a joke for fear of being taken wrong. I was under the impression that the board was run by fans for fans not Robertucus and Co. (and no thats not 'badmouthing', thats what Carl calls him right on the Zoon album Rob "robertucus" I like it, it has a nice ring to it)

"if you can't say something nice, don't say anything at all" Nice in theory but sometimes things aren't nice, but if you aren't allowed to voice these opinions what are you left with. Everything is oh so happy, I love everything and its all so perfect all the time, I'm nice , your nice, everything is wonderful, paradise achieved. Or mabee something else....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4D0cgtw3zUM

As far as why people don't post I know of some I have spoken to off board won't post BECAUSE of the censorship oh some people and things while others are free to be rude and acusational, they don't even bother or have stopped posting, on the otherhand some have told me the only reason they started posting is because this place seemed like such fun and liked the banter.

as far obsenity in various forms, don't ever go on a messageboard with bikers, or worse therianthropes. The later would leave you emotionaly scared for life. (Ah the good old days of AHWW :twisted:)

Futher more...

all this time the majority of people on here have delighted in every type of rude post about Carl they could think, delighting in every type of joke and statment , including on various sexual acts ( shall I remind everyone of the "why is Carl an inspiration thread" ) and even some rather harsh serious and even rather nasty criticisms. Something I spoke out against when first coming on this board many moons ago and was severly admonished for. Now that it is someone other than Carl catching the 'spotlight' as it were, it has become taboo and censorship is the topic of the day.

why might Carl himself not come on the board or talk to anyone? I guess only he would know that , but I speculate, if I may be allowed to do so, that it has something to with what I've heard him say in interviews to the effect that he is afraid of saying anything because of the way people take things. I can certainly sympathize with his position.

I welcome all opinions harsh, apposing or otherwise.

most sincerely,

Alice Silarus
Bau
Nephilim

Post by Bau » Wed Dec 17, 2008 3:05 am

squishy wrote:Bad mouth trouble? Nothing that can be got rid of, thank God!

:lol: :lol: :lol: *notworthy* I like the first pic and the last! 8)
xseawitch
Watcher

Post by xseawitch » Wed Dec 17, 2008 10:27 am

I'm only a newbie and seem to have missed the controversy lately, but I really enjoy the forum, we're all here to have fun and talk about our favourite band aren't we? A bit of banter isn't harmful and I think the moderators do a good job. Thanks to them :-)