Your 1st FOTN gig

Past and present concerts. Keep on talking about memories from the past, or about the gigs that are up and coming.

Moderators: Morphic, Blue Angel, The Fallen Ones

Elsye
Moonchild

Re: Your 1st FOTN gig

Post by Elsye » Tue Jul 25, 2017 3:46 pm

Folkestone September 1988, was the night which changed my life.
We'd seen a clip of the video for Moonchild on TOTP and then read a brief thing with Carl in Woolworths music's magazine where he listed his favourite songs. And we liked what we read.

Then we heard they were coming to Folkestone which was near us. No one ever plays the south east as we're too close to London, but the Nephs did.

We had no idea what we were in for, so stupidly stood at the front with all the experienced Bonanzas and locals.
When the ice started and the music played the place went mad.

We soon realised we way out of our league and that was even before the band changed tempo during Endemoniada let alone Carl making an appearance.
The whole place was heaving and some were beginning to stage dive and surf the crowd.

Somehow we made it out in one piece grinning like loons and then as we watched mesmerised as Carl appeared and the place erupted. I'd never seen or experienced anything like it in my life. It was exhilarating and you were totally caught up in the spectacle. it was almost like being in a ritual. Nothing else mattered but the music and how it made you feel.

That was the beginning and for four years they were one of the most important things in my life.
Thankfully we learnt to stand at the front to one side by the barrier, so you see everything and dance in relative safety. Standing there you could get swept away to Sumerland....
PJayBe
Moonchild

Post by PJayBe » Sat Aug 04, 2018 3:36 pm

Will be at Manchester in October. Can't wait!!
oldnephilim
Nephilim

Post by oldnephilim » Sun Aug 05, 2018 7:27 pm

PJayBe wrote:Will be at Manchester in October. Can't wait!!
have fun & welcome
“The Nephilim were on the earth in those days, and also afterward, when the sons of God came in to the daughters of man and they bore children to them. These were the mighty men who were of old, the men of renown.”
TheNephilimJohn
Moonchild

Post by TheNephilimJohn » Mon Aug 06, 2018 4:38 pm

My first one was recently at Amphi Fest 2017, of many to come... More 2 gigs came last March, in Madrid and Porto, and 2 more are awaiting in the horizon, at Whitby and Manchester in October.
I've succumbed to their magic! :D
"For the Nephilim now look forward to a long reign that might take moments to experience, but lifetimes to fulfill."
HarmonicaMan
Moonchild

Post by HarmonicaMan » Fri Aug 10, 2018 1:13 pm

By chance my first was at the Cardiff Mars Bar in October '86 - wasn't the greatest gig to be honest, but was interested enough to go to see them again at the Leeds Warehouse a couple of weeks later, from that day on things changed forever, as on that day I met a bunch of guys and girls that for the next few years I would spend much of my life with. Those days, 30 years ago, were very special and magical times - we had little money and few clothes, but we travelled the country (and some of Europe) by whatever way we could to see the band we loved and along the way shaped our lives. From time to time I listen to tape recordings of some of the early gigs and the memories and emotions of those days comes flooding back. Heartfelt thanks to the band, Steve Brown and all the people that made it happen back in the day...
Nyarlathotep
Moonchild

Post by Nyarlathotep » Wed Sep 19, 2018 12:15 pm

I was very much the latecomer, myself. Despite having been a fan since the 80s, I didn't get to see them live until about 2011.

When I was first into them, I was a teenager, living in the darkest recesses of Lincolnshire. The likelihood of Uncle Carl doing a gig around there (especially at that time) was about the same as Grimsby Town FC winning the FA Cup.

By the time I was more mobile, having a car and a few likeminded friends who wanted to do gigs, they'd split up. :(

I still get grief from my other mates who are fans for missing the halcyon days. ;)
Dollarhyde
Moonchild

Post by Dollarhyde » Fri Oct 26, 2018 11:32 pm

October 13th, 2018. Coesfeld (Germany)
Fan from 1989 though....
Let us witness the reincarnation of the sun
Unsane
Moonchild

Post by Unsane » Mon Jun 24, 2019 12:06 am

Hello
It was 1987(??) I was 15 and massively into FOTN, I'd seen they were playing the Bierkeller in Bristol and really, really wanted to go. Bristol was a good hour away on the train from where we lived and there were no trains back after the gig, but I didn't care. Stupidly I asked my Mum and Dad, needless to say the reply from both was "No chance". I was absolutely heartbroken and on the night of the gig I played their songs in my bedroom over and over again as some kind of bizarre teenage tribute. Then a few months later they were touring again and playing in Southampton Uni(it was a Saturday night), so this time I was a bit smarter, lied, and said we were staying over at a friends house. We got the train to Southampton and I finally got to see them. it was truly amazing. I was right at the front, after the gig I stayed there as everyone was leaving and on the floor was a guitar plectrum. I was convinced it was either Peter or Pauls, thinking one of them had dropped it. Looking back I'm fairly certain it was someone in the crowd who lost it from their pockets. But I treasured that plectrum and still have it!!
Fortunately I got to see them loads of times after that gig and they were always great live. But nothing will ever compare to seeing them for the first time. It may sound a bit dramatic but it really was a truly magical experience, especially as they were so good live.
Happy, happy days.