Your 1st FOTN gig

Past and present concerts. Keep on talking about memories from the past, or about the gigs that are up and coming.

Moderators: Morphic, Blue Angel, The Fallen Ones

Ahriman
Psychonaut

Re: Your 1st FOTN gig

Post by Ahriman » Thu Oct 07, 2010 9:04 pm

My first live experience with FOTN was autumn 1988, Hamburg Markthalle. Announced were "Fields of the Nephilim + Special Guests" but there was no opening act. I remember a gig which seemed neither very inspired/motivated nor extremely long (was there an encore at all?). Well, but it didn't stop me being a fan.
rolsch
Moonchild

Post by rolsch » Mon Oct 11, 2010 1:23 pm

First one for me was in my hometown Rotterdam, 28 October '88.
A gig with lots of technical problems.
With Endemoniada everything was ok, but it starts during the 2nd song, Blue Water; some awful feedback appears.
It gets worse in the 3rd song, Dust. They stop it after 1 minute and I remember Carl mumbling something like 'problem with machine brain' before leaving the stage.
After a while they return with a beautiful version of Celebrate and they end the gig with Love Under Will.
So a memorable first timer...
A vague guest on a darkened earth
zoltan
Moonchild

Post by zoltan » Mon Oct 25, 2010 9:55 pm

Mine was Uxbridge Uni Nov 87 on the Electrostatic tour , think i still have the t shirt somewhere lol.
Remember it was a very low stage and and there was so much smoke i couldn't see my mate who was at the front next to me let alone the band .
Was so good i went twice more that year!!
Moonchild

Post by 8889 » Thu Jan 06, 2011 4:02 am

8889 wrote:may 12 1988 manchester international 2 in longsight, was 19. travelled down from north lancashire. loved it, so did most of the rest of the tour.

a question: these people who say 'I went to the town and country gig which was filmed for the forever remain video in may 1988 etc.' - from memory, and do correct me if i'm wrong, there were 3 gigs at the end of mark of the watchman tour at the t&c. I only made one, even then with just 3 minutes to go at the instrumental end of laura II, after a horrendous hitch off the spaghetti junction.

pete
3 GIGS!!!?? sorry, memory issues! I had 3 tickets to sell on the night, from three manchester goth friends who were so fcuked after doing the mark of the watchman tour that they'd had enough (all the hitching, no money etc.). I finally got to edgware road tube, met a japanese rocker. had 20p on me. I said to him; 'buy me an underground ticket, and i'll take you to the nephilim'. we arrived at the gig at the very end as above.
Selena
Watcher

Post by Selena » Mon Jan 10, 2011 10:55 pm

My first FOTN gig was in May 2008 in Leipzig at the WGT.

There was no chance for me to see them at an earlier date (needless to mention that I was too young to see them in the eighties or early nineties)
EatKnuckle
Psychonaut

Post by EatKnuckle » Tue Jan 11, 2011 12:31 am

Berlin 29. december 2010 :mrgreen:

Could not have seen them in the 80ies or early 90ies because I was too young then.

Well, it wasn't the last gig if I can help it 8)
...cover his face...
Disharmonic
Psychonaut

Post by Disharmonic » Tue Jan 11, 2011 8:03 am

I'm also new to the FOTN concerts but at least I'm proud for one thing: at my first FOTN concert I heard Wail of Sumer/And There Will Your Heart Be Also.
“Thank you very much, especially the Dawnrazors”
SirD
Moonchild

Post by SirD » Tue Jan 11, 2011 2:36 pm

July 12, 2008 - Shepherds Bush Empire...I took the dream!
Keep talking...

-------------------

REANIMATORS - GREEK LEGION
waters
Moonchild

Post by waters » Tue Jan 11, 2011 2:59 pm

2000, M'era Luna
EatKnuckle
Psychonaut

Post by EatKnuckle » Tue Jan 11, 2011 4:44 pm

Disharmonic wrote:I'm also new to the FOTN concerts but at least I'm proud for one thing: at my first FOTN concert I heard Wail of Sumer/And There Will Your Heart Be Also.
That's really nice *whistle*
...cover his face...
Paulito
Moonchild

Post by Paulito » Fri Jan 14, 2011 4:51 pm

Mine was Liverpool Royal Court, September 1990.
Not just my first Nephs gig, but my first gig full stop. Pardon the cliche,but it was life changing for me. Amazing performance and atmosphere...plus my first exposure to the local goth scene as a teenager,which I was then a part of for 7 years or so. I now mainly remember tons of dry ice and spectacular drumming.
I'd been into the Nephs for a year or so at the time,my first exposure was "The Nephilim" album.
After that, I saw Rubicon in Liverpool...managed to get backstage afterwards because I knew the Wright Bros cousin. Andy Delaney was a really nice, unassuming fella. Nod Wright was a good laugh too.
After that, I saw the Nefilim gig in Manchester...that was the last time I went to anything Neff related.
machinebrain69
Moonchild

Post by machinebrain69 » Sat Jan 15, 2011 6:33 pm

Mine was Liverpool Royal Court also - 10th of September 1988. I can't remember a lot about it unfortunately the dry ice aside. I think it was before The Nephilim album was released (someone please feel free to confirm this one way or the other) so we weren't familiar with a huge chunk of the set. I have a lasting memory of a Robert Smith look-a-like in the mosh pit with cat paw prints painted on the back of his leather jacket. Sorry if that was you but I wasn't impressed. And a wannabe stage diver (the only one I might add) who was forcibly removed from the venue by the resident Hells angel chapter bouncers. Rather him than me.
Paulito
Moonchild

Post by Paulito » Mon Jan 31, 2011 6:10 pm

Wasn't at the '88 gig, so not me!
NorthernNephilim
Nephilim

Post by NorthernNephilim » Tue Feb 01, 2011 11:50 am

machinebrain69 wrote:Mine was Liverpool Royal Court also - 10th of September 1988. I can't remember a lot about it unfortunately the dry ice aside. I think it was before The Nephilim album was released (someone please feel free to confirm this one way or the other) so we weren't familiar with a huge chunk of the set.
album was released 5th September 1988 in UK + Germany
machinebrain69
Moonchild

Post by machinebrain69 » Tue Feb 01, 2011 9:28 pm

The 5th of September eh? Which would be the Monday before that first gig. I definitely didn't have the album when I saw them. Ho hum - yet another of life's many wasted opportunities I guess. Thanks for confirming NorthernNephilim.
machinebrain69
Moonchild

Post by machinebrain69 » Sat Feb 05, 2011 3:51 pm

Paulito wrote:Wasn't at the '88 gig, so not me!
Sorry mate I didn't mean you as in 'you', I meant you as in whoever was reading.
Daphid
Moonchild

Post by Daphid » Wed Sep 10, 2014 9:47 pm

I'm new to this forum so I don't know if this gig has already been mentioned.
The first time I saw the band was the 13th of January 1988 at Huddersfield Polytechnic. I know the exact date because it's on the Gigography list on Salvation's website, they were the support.
It was a curious gig. I remember queuing up outside for ages because we all had to "sign in". There was probably lots of Mr D. Duck and Mr B. Bunny on that list. It was pretty packed as all the talk on the Yorkshire Goth Scene at the time was about the Nephilim.
I was pretty much near the front and remember being quite awe inspired by Carl's stage presence. I even remember thinking his hair and clothing were fantastic, it took me two years after to get my hair to about the same length. Paul Wright's hair style intrigued me too.

The songs just blew me away and loads of us who hadn't yet bought Dawnrazor, Blue Water, Preacher Man and Burning the Fields soon did and became massive fans of the band.
I saw the band many times in West Yorkshire area for around 18 months or so after, but we started our family by then and money got a bit tight. I still bought all the records though, the last vinyl album I bought was Elysium. When things got a bit easier moneywise, I started my obsession with Rosetta Stone. I think the original Neph were close to splitting by this time.

Huddersfield Poly is now the University of Huddersfield and my son is in his final year there studying Music Performance and Technology. The buliding where the Neph and Salvation played, I think, is one of the Sports buildings.

Happy days though...
hellboy69
Dawnrazor

Post by hellboy69 » Fri Sep 19, 2014 12:11 pm

Seeing as we're all feeling nostalgic :wink: i managed to dig out some old tour shirts (including the Electrostatic Tour one that i got at my first FOTN gig - Keele Uni '87)

May the floors be slippery with sweat+flour for years to come :mrgreen:

in the swirling pool of blood and brains...
Kostas
Dawnrazor

Post by Kostas » Sun Sep 21, 2014 10:32 am

How f**n' lovely! Cheers Hellboy69...
"...we are the lost ones, in the company of bright angels."
REANIMATORS - GREEK LEGION

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Reanimat ... 1677029341
http://www.myspace.com/thesequelfotngr
mador
Moonchild

Post by mador » Thu Nov 13, 2014 5:48 pm

Hull City Hall...can't remember exact date(early 1990's I think)....was cold and i was very drunk....Enjoyed the night sh*tloads...the music was awesome..., went home with a very accomodating young lady too :)..... to be young again ;)