Your 1st FOTN gig

Past and present concerts. Keep on talking about memories from the past, or about the gigs that are up and coming.

Moderators: Morphic, Blue Angel, The Fallen Ones

Steve
Moonchild

Your 1st FOTN gig

Post by Steve » Mon Aug 07, 2006 12:17 pm

I can't forget the first time I saw them in Hammersmith Ballroom.
Someone told me they were similar to the Sisters. Not sure that is true.
I was right at the front & when McCoy's Freddy Kruger hand shot out of the smoke, I nearly sh*t myself on the spot.
It was then I discovered who the guy was in the toilet that brushed past me & covered me with dust.

Would love to see them again, but I guess Hungary is not in their plans...
Nem én voltam
TheBoyNextDoor
Preacher Man

Post by TheBoyNextDoor » Mon Aug 07, 2006 12:34 pm

Wow! Fabolous story there. Which year are we talking about?
Too bad I was too young back then and had to wait until the Fields of the Nephilim AD tour 2000 to see them. I guess much of the mysticism and horror influences got lost in the sun at M'era Luna Festival. :(

I'll give them a new chance this autumn, Berlin is already in plans. And hopefully they do some concerts in Scandinavia.

There's a gap between Munich and Wien, so you never know with Hungary. :)
Steve
Moonchild

Post by Steve » Mon Aug 07, 2006 2:22 pm

It was 86/87.
About the time Dawnrazor came out.
I had heard Power & decided I had to see what was going on.
I can't remember the name of the ballroom , but it was in Hammersmith (or was it Totenham court road).
Long time ago now ;o) & not getting any younger.
Nem én voltam
Quiff Boy
Moonchild

Post by Quiff Boy » Mon Aug 07, 2006 5:21 pm

sometime around the for her light single release & tour - i guess that would have been mid/late 90??

i saw 'em a few times on that mini-tour, and forget which one was first :?

bradford queens hall stands out as a classic one from that tour though :D

that tour ended just as the elysium tour began, and saw 'em a few more time on that one.

nice 8)
[iguana~DJ~slumber~product~telephone~wavelength]
scotty
Knottyash Mosh Squader

Post by scotty » Mon Aug 07, 2006 5:28 pm

Steve wrote:It was 86/87.
About the time Dawnrazor came out.
Aye, me to, it was in "Coasters" in Edinburgh,Dawn After Dark supported, I was 16 and my life was never the same :lol: , soon after, it was a Kit Bag, Red & Black Lumberjack Shirt, Speed :oops: Thunderbird Wine and Three tours with the Nephilim..........they were indeed, "The Days"!
"This time I will have my own way...
...This time I am going to take my prize"
Big Si
Dawnrazor

Post by Big Si » Mon Aug 07, 2006 9:01 pm

Middlesbrough Town Hall, (end of) July 1990

I'd just turned 16 a few days before :D
wild bill buttock
Nephilim

Post by wild bill buttock » Mon Aug 07, 2006 9:03 pm

It was 1988 for me.A mate recommended I go see them after a Mission gig(Can I say "Mission" on here?).The next week I headed of to The Hummingbird in Birmingham and witnessed one of the greatest gigs I'd ever seen(and am yet to see).The visuals,atmosphere and the music were perfect.Every band I'd ever been into previously seemed a build up to The Nephilim,The real thing at last!
And every Neph gig after just seemed to get stronger.
I'm not a spiritual person,in fact I'm a cynical old bastard,but if God was at a gig then he was at that gig,down the front with The Bonanzas!!
scotty
Knottyash Mosh Squader

Post by scotty » Mon Aug 07, 2006 9:07 pm

Big Si wrote:Middlesbrough Town Hall, (end of) July 1990

We've discussed this gig somewhere else have we not? :wink: :D
"This time I will have my own way...
...This time I am going to take my prize"
Big Si
Dawnrazor

Post by Big Si » Mon Aug 07, 2006 9:10 pm

scotty wrote:
Big Si wrote:Middlesbrough Town Hall, (end of) July 1990

We've discussed this gig somewhere else have we not? :wink: :D
Oh yes! It was a great one, wasn't it! :D
Technonaut
Psychonaut

Post by Technonaut » Tue Aug 08, 2006 12:16 am

Bradford Queen's Hall, Psychonaut Tour (I'm guessing). Bloody good, whatever the tour was.

Then twice at Leeds Uni, For Her Light and Elyzium tours. 8)

Oh yeah, and Eurorock 2000. Best of the lot. :twisted: 8)
What Planet?
Nic
The Watchman

Post by Nic » Tue Aug 08, 2006 8:56 pm

wild bill buttock wrote:It was 1988 for me.A mate recommended I go see them after a Mission gig(Can I say "Mission" on here?).
*rofl* :D
When routine bites hard and ambitions are low...
Quiff Boy
Moonchild

Post by Quiff Boy » Tue Aug 08, 2006 9:11 pm

Nic wrote:
wild bill buttock wrote:It was 1988 for me.A mate recommended I go see them after a Mission gig(Can I say "Mission" on here?).
*rofl* :D
hmmm.......

;) :lol:
[iguana~DJ~slumber~product~telephone~wavelength]
TheBoyNextDoor
Preacher Man

Post by TheBoyNextDoor » Wed Aug 09, 2006 9:24 am

Mission is allowed to say, after all there was a mix up in that Guiness guide to indie music* from 1993 or something - a picture on Carl McCoy titled Wayne Hussey. So... if you didn't know before, they are the same band. :D

*have actually no clue what the exact title is, I'll look that up when I get home
limur
Psychonaut

Post by limur » Wed Aug 09, 2006 1:56 pm

13 September 1988, Rock City , I think.

There's a scan of the ticket here

Although I do vaguely remember going to an all nighter slightly earlier than that, where FOTN played (second?) on the bill.

It was a long night, a long time ago, I'd drank a lot and my head hurts just trying to think about it - Crazyhead were on the bill as well and I thought they headlined it, but I can remember them, so they must have been on first.
I bear no sick words junk words love words forgive words from Jesus

Post your Live Music Reviews for www.livemusicreview.co.uk at the forum at
http://livemusicreview.proboards15.com/
http://www.myspace.com/livemusicreview
captaino
Dawnrazor

Post by captaino » Wed Aug 09, 2006 4:19 pm

30.03.1991 in Trier, a few days before the tragical split.
I will remember this all my life...it was my first gig ever !!!
Was in front of Carl and the guitar of Yates does'nt work in the begining of for her light...strange sensation.

Saw them at Neerpelt Eurorock...great show but just one guitar (and not paul playing this....).
captaino
Dawnrazor

Post by captaino » Wed Aug 09, 2006 4:31 pm

TheBoyNextDoor wrote:Mission is allowed to say, after all there was a mix up in that Guiness guide to indie music* from 1993 or something - a picture on Carl McCoy titled Wayne Hussey. So... if you didn't know before, they are the same band. :D

*have actually no clue what the exact title is, I'll look that up when I get home
Must be a huge double personnality then....

I read an interview where the interviewer says to Carl that Wayne told that's such a mystic guy should be crazy (or something like this...).
Carl' answer was: a man with a false nose has nothing to say about me...
Big Si
Dawnrazor

Post by Big Si » Wed Aug 09, 2006 6:57 pm

captaino wrote:
TheBoyNextDoor wrote:Mission is allowed to say, after all there was a mix up in that Guiness guide to indie music* from 1993 or something - a picture on Carl McCoy titled Wayne Hussey. So... if you didn't know before, they are the same band. :D

I read an interview where the interviewer says to Carl that Wayne told that's such a mystic guy should be crazy (or something like this...).
Siren Magazine from 1992/1993 :?: Wayne made some comment about Carl's lyrics and his religious beliefs. Carl responded that probably the nearest thing Wayne gets to having a "mystical" experience is by going into the toilet with a "good book" :wink: Image
captaino
Dawnrazor

Post by captaino » Wed Aug 09, 2006 9:24 pm

Big Si wrote:
captaino wrote:

Siren Magazine from 1992/1993 :?: Wayne made some comment about Carl's lyrics and his religious beliefs. Carl responded that probably the nearest thing Wayne gets to having a "mystical" experience is by going into the toilet with a "good book" :wink: Image
I read this answer about the false nose in a issue of Zillo Magazin of december (wich year ? maybe 1992 or 1993)..Carl's made the cover with a great picture (very mystical indeed)...this magazin is sleeping in the house of my parents...caus' my father swear me never throw this away (and some thousand others...).
Hope he's keeping his word, the nephilim are alive !
Big Si
Dawnrazor

Post by Big Si » Wed Aug 09, 2006 9:27 pm

captaino wrote:
Big Si wrote:
captaino wrote: Must be a huge double personnality then....

I read this answer about the false nose in a issue of Zillo Magazin of december (wich year ? maybe 1992 or 1993)..Carl's made the cover with a great picture (very mystical indeed)...this magazin is sleeping in the house of my parents...caus' my father swear me never throw this away (and some thousand others...).
Hope he's keeping his word, the nephilim are alive !
Nice one, i'm thinking it was the same interview, but it ended up appearing in both of these publications :D
wickerman
Moonchild

Post by wickerman » Sat Aug 12, 2006 10:43 pm

my first time? may 1988, town & country club, uk. the gig was filmed and released on video (now on dvd i think)

i live in hitchin, 5 miles from stevenage. i was 17, a fully fledged goth. those days were especially exciting - to be a goth listening to the sisters, mission, all about eve etc & then there was this local band making great records!

the band used to drink in the local goth boozer, 'the albert' in hitchin (wasn't really a goth pub, just that it was taken over by loads of us!)

tony p used to live in hitchin & so that was where he drank. carl & tony were best buds at the time & so carl used to drink there too. as such many a friday night was spent with the band!

1987-8 i lived in stevenage with carls brother. just before the 'nephilim' album came out. got to listen to loads of pre-official release material. can even tell you a few stories of times that were spent in carls house in stevenage!

carl now lives in hitchin..not sure bout the others.

anyway i was looking forward to re-visitng the songs live but may have to wait a little longer...along with carl, who else is in the band?
Last edited by wickerman on Sun Aug 13, 2006 3:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.