Mera Luna Festival 13/14 August 2016

Past and present concerts. Keep on talking about memories from the past, or about the gigs that are up and coming.

Moderators: Morphic, Blue Angel, The Fallen Ones

oldnephilim
Nephilim

Re: Mera Luna Festival 13/14 August 2016

Post by oldnephilim » Wed Aug 31, 2016 6:35 am

... drop ............... drop ................... drop ....... *smoking*
“The Nephilim were on the earth in those days, and also afterward, when the sons of God came in to the daughters of man and they bore children to them. These were the mighty men who were of old, the men of renown.”
TruGoff
Moonchild

Post by TruGoff » Wed Aug 31, 2016 10:57 am

Moonchild wrote:Cast your minds back to the last time FOTN played M'era Luna in 2008. Then, there was a massive Dawnrazor presence at the festival and the forum was a hive of activity. This time, even before the cancellation, there was only muted interest. The news of the cancellation itself was almost expected it's happened so often. No news on the official site was also typical of the disdain shown to the fanbase. The M'era Luna website didn't announce anything until they had a replacement lined up, which would obviously have taken a while, so there was plenty of time for it to be posted on the FOTN site...but no, couldn't be arsed.

As for the forum, well it's so quiet in here these days you could hear a pin drop. Is it really surprising peolpe are losing interest? I can't think of any other bands that treat their fans as shabbily as this.
*notworthy*

Ditto!!!
markandre13
Leviathan

Post by markandre13 » Wed Aug 31, 2016 1:19 pm

Moonchild wrote:As for the forum, well it's so quiet in here these days you could hear a pin drop.
Most of the traffic might have gone to Facebook, another part to New Gold Dawn. And the chemistry between some regular posters had turned sour. I mean people like Bau, Mark A. Quested, weebleswobble, gingerpazuzu, ThomasB, etc. really helped to keep this forum alive.
Moonchild wrote:Is it really surprising peolpe are losing interest?
I'm not loosing interest. But there doesn't seem much to talk about these days. These days I'm trying to play FotN songs on a guitar and it's like I'm rediscovering all the songs anew when I slow them down by half and try to see where Paul is placing his fingers on the fretboard. Maybe I'll post some chords in the future.
Moonchild wrote:I can't think of any other bands that treat their fans as shabbily as this.
For me FotN still includes Gary Whisker, Paul & Nod Wright and Peter Yates. So from that point of view there isn't much the band can do about it. The first two line-ups is still my utterly most favourite band of all time. Plus stuff like Chaocracy, Red777, Hollow Doll, the Zoon demo tape or Earthbound. It was such a diverse line-up and still every member struck a chord within me which still resonates.

Damn it. I want that again. Because I'm still in love.
"It's probably better to have him inside the tent pissing out, than outside the tent pissing in." -- Lyndon B. Johnson
TruGoff
Moonchild

Post by TruGoff » Wed Aug 31, 2016 1:41 pm

You don't mind be treated terrribly by the band?
Last edited by TruGoff on Wed Aug 31, 2016 6:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
markandre13
Leviathan

Post by markandre13 » Wed Aug 31, 2016 3:32 pm

TruGoff wrote:You don't mind be treated terrribly by the band?
waiting for my wife while she goes shopping is far worse.

and i really can't complain. during the last 20 years i wanted to tell stories. as movies, comics, music, whatever. i have a stack of notes and a head full of incomplete ideas and i am quite unsatisfied by the gap between my goals and achievements.
and there is also a life besides producing art.

i like to think that the band feels the same. so on that level i can relate to fotn doesn't do much these days.

but i find what 'the cure' did really terrible. they said that there would be another depressing/dark album after disintegration. but guess what? robert smith seems to be living a happy live these days and the only worthy thing they've released after disintegration was 'burn' for 'the crow' movie.
the cure's "wish"? a fucking happy nightmare.

fotn never did that to me! (this may sound funny and it really is, but another part of me is really serious about it.)

and canceled gigs? most people don't travel far. only the crazies like us do. but when it's a festival, we have at least a chance to run into other crazies like us.
"It's probably better to have him inside the tent pissing out, than outside the tent pissing in." -- Lyndon B. Johnson
oldnephilim
Nephilim

Post by oldnephilim » Wed Aug 31, 2016 7:53 pm

TruGoff wrote:
markandre13 wrote:and i really can't complain.
Weird! Oh well what ever *whistle*
right, what ever ... drop ... drop .... maybe zoooooon something new in 2525 or so, patience *smoking*
“The Nephilim were on the earth in those days, and also afterward, when the sons of God came in to the daughters of man and they bore children to them. These were the mighty men who were of old, the men of renown.”
ThomasB
Nephilim

Post by ThomasB » Thu Sep 01, 2016 7:33 am

markandre13 wrote:
Moonchild wrote:As for the forum, well it's so quiet in here these days you could hear a pin drop.
Most of the traffic might have gone to Facebook, another part to New Gold Dawn. And the chemistry between some regular posters had turned sour. I mean people like Bau, Mark A. Quested, weebleswobble, gingerpazuzu, ThomasB, etc. really helped to keep this forum alive.
Thanks mate !

Like most, I did see my interest slowly wane, and yes, I won't arrange any travel to see them any more, even if I get the money again… Not to mention being dreadfully busy with thing work-related (which is not a bad thing. Two novels out this year, yay !)

I don't know if I'd rather not see the Neffs burn out rather than fade away into self-parody… Keeping my fingers crossed that something might turn out ! The camaraderie in here was woth the trip in itself !
Fundraiser. You know, it's like Hellraiser, but without the Cenobites, the blood and all that.
IN NOMINE NEMO !
Ngie
Leviathan

Post by Ngie » Thu Sep 01, 2016 8:40 pm

Most of the traffic might have gone to Facebook obviously, as for NewGoldDawn as I don't visit it I haven't a clue who talks there.
ThomasB wrote:Keeping my fingers crossed that something might turn out ! The camaraderie in here was woth the trip in itself !
My last night dream about FOTN : my apologise for not translating it, no time for that, though I wouldn't like to miss it if anything.

Here it is : Je viens de recevoir leur nouveau/dernier CD officiel ou piraté. Je n'ai pas le temps de le regarder ni de l'écouter et le glisse dans la poche avant de mon sac à dos pour dés que j'aurai un moment et accès à un lecteur de CD. Je ne sais pas à quoi m'attendre, c'est surprise, maintes fois déçue par des rééditions et par des déclarations fausses et promesses non tenues, je ne m'attends pas à grand-chose, probablement un enregistrement des chansons existantes avec le dernier «  line-up » en version studio et avec Prophecy. Pas même eu le temps de voir la pochette, si jamais y en a une et pas juste une copie d'enregistrement audio sur CD vierge.
Bref, tout de même c'est un rêve dans lequel j'ai quelque chose dans les mains d'inédit de FOTN alors donc je me prends à croire que quelque chose de leur part de nouveau est là, à paraître.
ThomasB
Nephilim

Post by ThomasB » Fri Sep 02, 2016 7:45 am

Ngie wrote:Most of the traffic might have gone to Facebook obviously, as for NewGoldDawn as I don't visit it I haven't a clue who talks there.
ThomasB wrote:Keeping my fingers crossed that something might turn out ! The camaraderie in here was woth the trip in itself !
My last night dream about FOTN : my apologise for not translating it, no time for that, though I wouldn't like to miss it if anything.

Here it is : Je viens de recevoir leur nouveau/dernier CD officiel ou piraté. Je n'ai pas le temps de le regarder ni de l'écouter et le glisse dans la poche avant de mon sac à dos pour dés que j'aurai un moment et accès à un lecteur de CD. Je ne sais pas à quoi m'attendre, c'est surprise, maintes fois déçue par des rééditions et par des déclarations fausses et promesses non tenues, je ne m'attends pas à grand-chose, probablement un enregistrement des chansons existantes avec le dernier «  line-up » en version studio et avec Prophecy. Pas même eu le temps de voir la pochette, si jamais y en a une et pas juste une copie d'enregistrement audio sur CD vierge.
Bref, tout de même c'est un rêve dans lequel j'ai quelque chose dans les mains d'inédit de FOTN alors donc je me prends à croire que quelque chose de leur part de nouveau est là, à paraître.
In the immortal words of Mike Scott : Dream harder ! :mrgreen:
Fundraiser. You know, it's like Hellraiser, but without the Cenobites, the blood and all that.
IN NOMINE NEMO !
ww
Moonchild

Post by ww » Sat Sep 03, 2016 3:25 pm

they may make a "major announcement" just before the next London show, if ticket sales are slow; maybe even "promise" a "special" CD/EP/sampler etc. whatever and then we get new mugs with old logos.
"other formats to be announced shortly"

speaking of efficiency: surely lots of people here also like New Model Army. How NMA run their cottage industry is just great. Honest, friendly, reliable and it pays back for them and for the people.
They answer eMail etc.
and:
surely lots of people here also like The Sisters of Mercy. They do virtually nothing (virtually) and it is also 100 times better than Nephilim, because they do NOT announce and promise stuff and when they cancel (which is rare) it is because someone got really sick and not because probably the second guitarist just learned too late that he has to work shift on that Mera Luna weekend or whatever.
NMA and Sisters deliver. FOTN announce.
They are still great live because the (old) music is great and of course loaded with memories and emotion for us people.
The new song is mediocre. Tony Pettitt a hired live hand and no drummer in the "studio" which is probably simply just Carls shack.
ThomasB
Nephilim

Post by ThomasB » Sun Sep 04, 2016 8:11 am

That kinda hit the nail on the head, as they say…
IN NOMINE NEMO !
oldnephilim
Nephilim

Post by oldnephilim » Sun Sep 04, 2016 7:26 pm

ThomasB wrote:That kinda hit the nail on the head, as they say…
yes indeed, sad but true ... (though there's NMA damn great new album and tickets for one show at least :-) )
TruGoff
Moonchild

Post by TruGoff » Sun Sep 04, 2016 8:23 pm

ww wrote:The new song is mediocre.
Yes it really basic :|
Last edited by TruGoff on Mon Sep 05, 2016 8:43 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Moonchild
Watcher

Post by Moonchild » Mon Sep 05, 2016 12:51 pm

ww wrote:they may make a "major announcement" just before the next London show, if ticket sales are slow; maybe even "promise" a "special" CD/EP/sampler etc. whatever and then we get new mugs with old logos.
"other formats to be announced shortly"

speaking of efficiency: surely lots of people here also like New Model Army. How NMA run their cottage industry is just great. Honest, friendly, reliable and it pays back for them and for the people.
They answer eMail etc.
and:
surely lots of people here also like The Sisters of Mercy. They do virtually nothing (virtually) and it is also 100 times better than Nephilim, because they do NOT announce and promise stuff and when they cancel (which is rare) it is because someone got really sick and not because probably the second guitarist just learned too late that he has to work shift on that Mera Luna weekend or whatever.
NMA and Sisters deliver. FOTN announce.
They are still great live because the (old) music is great and of course loaded with memories and emotion for us people.
The new song is mediocre. Tony Pettitt a hired live hand and no drummer in the "studio" which is probably simply just Carls shack.
Great post. I would like to think that Tony is a bit more than a hired hand though....but I suspect you're probably right.
gilgamesh
Watcher

Post by gilgamesh » Wed Sep 07, 2016 9:06 am

I was so excited back in 2007 when they played the Astoria and MS had come out which we heard live for the first time, but since then although I have enjoyed the gigs it is increasingly just like the same old same old. How many more great renditions of Last Exit or Psychonaut do I need? When the sole variable is whether something like Dust or ReAnimator might finally get played again maybe its time to check out.

I really hate to say this but I think I'd probably prefer it if FOTN was just wound up. In its current state its just a painful slow death and tarnishing the memories of great things past. As others have said, the forum is sadly quiet these days, almost everything that could be said has been said and the community is older and have gone in different paths and have different priorities. I'm not even sure I'll go to the SBE in December, the first UK show I will have missed since goodness knows when.

So a little message from me to Carl, Rob F or whoever- get your finger out and do this properly or don't do it at all.
ThomasB
Nephilim

Post by ThomasB » Thu Sep 08, 2016 7:45 am

gilgamesh wrote:
So a little message from me to Carl, Rob F or whoever- get your finger out and do this properly or don't do it at all.

Yes, at least, say, Front 242 does not try to hide the fact that they have become their own cover band… :|
IN NOMINE NEMO !
ww
Moonchild

Post by ww » Thu Sep 08, 2016 3:41 pm

"gilgamesh" exactly, I agree.

the last nail in the coffin for me was (apart from all the cancelling here and there which luckily did not affect me but tons of others I reckon...) the announcement of this "new promotional sampler" for the German shows and then I turn up at the merch table in Munich (after having driven 5 hours for the gig) looking forward to the CD and the guy there tells me "the CDs have not arrived yet" and of course those CDs HAVE NEVER BEEN MADE at all, because they have not arrived for any of the German shows, nor have they arrived since (6 months later!).
And it still says "other formats to be announced SHORTLY" on that pathetic website.
And in typical fashion no one is bothered to say why those CDs etc. have never been available, what happend to them or whatever, but beforehand they made it a major selling point of attending those gigs.
No one cares and gives a f*ck.
The "manager" manages to send Carl new guitarists and drummers or whatever out of his artist roster and has connections to the UK Metal Hammer, not much else. Oh yes, phony merchandise is available, too.
And even the Sisters are available to do more variation in their setlists.......
gilgamesh
Watcher

Post by gilgamesh » Fri Sep 16, 2016 8:47 pm

I find it even more frustrating because I am not a musician, I can't play any instruments and write music or create stuff etc. It is such a shame when a guy like McCoy who has so much talent and vision but just lets it fizzle out rather than grabbing his moment and saying "yeah, I'm here, let's do this stuff" (or something similar!) Just think how great this band could have been even now with a very different world from back in the 80s. The live gigs are still unique- I have been to see many many bands and nothing comes close to the quasi religious fervour which the Nephs used to generate. I just hope I never meet him coz I'd grab him by the scruff of the neck and say "come on man, what's wrong with you!!?"
Ngie
Leviathan

Post by Ngie » Sun Sep 18, 2016 11:13 am

Hey what the heck is going on in here?

grabbing by the scruff of the neck.. hitting the nail on the head.. that's full of imagery! Have we put the finger on something -as we the French say? If yes we're about to rub knuckles hard against the skull, if you know what eye'm in.
COLLIDE
Psychonaut

Post by COLLIDE » Wed Sep 21, 2016 11:32 pm

gilgamesh wrote:I was so excited back in 2007 when they played the Astoria and MS had come out which we heard live for the first time, but since then although I have enjoyed the gigs it is increasingly just like the same old same old. How many more great renditions of Last Exit or Psychonaut do I need? When the sole variable is whether something like Dust or ReAnimator might finally get played again maybe its time to check out.

I really hate to say this but I think I'd probably prefer it if FOTN was just wound up. In its current state its just a painful slow death and tarnishing the memories of great things past. As others have said, the forum is sadly quiet these days, almost everything that could be said has been said and the community is older and have gone in different paths and have different priorities. I'm not even sure I'll go to the SBE in December, the first UK show I will have missed since goodness knows when.

My feelings exactly..just in it for the money with out any care for the long suffering fans..which are dwindling
COLLIDE

In dry ice we trust