Thoughts from SBE 5/6 Dec

Past and present concerts. Keep on talking about memories from the past, or about the gigs that are up and coming.

Moderators: Morphic, Blue Angel, The Fallen Ones

gilgamesh
Watcher

Thoughts from SBE 5/6 Dec

Post by gilgamesh » Mon Dec 08, 2014 3:40 pm

So, did we see the genuine start of a new dawn at the weekend?

Now, the old shows before the split I remember being great events, and very tight. But my memories have faded and all I have are the DVDs, Earth Inferno and bootlegs to remind me how it was. But I have to say that I thought that Saturday's show was as good as I ever remember. Certainly since the return to performing in 2007 and arguably long before that. The Wright brothers and Pete added the traditional Neph sound and we used to hear tracks which haven't been played since, but on Saturday particularly the power and brooding intensity were incredible. Not just in the mosh pit but throughout the SBE people were in their own shared or private worlds, totally immersed in the music flowing around them. Was there ever a better rendition of LEFTL?

Two shows and slightly differing sets, but I thought the newer intro shaded Friday's more traditional opening. The sound also seemed better on Saturday, seemed a little fuzzier on Friday although that could have been my head. And two new tracks, one instrumental and one sounding like a fusion of MS and Zoon, definitely more "metallic" and lacking the depth of the early days, but highly promising nonetheless. It was just fantastic to hear something genuinely new, I really thought it would never happen, and we lucky few were there!

A venue like SBE seems Carl's natural home, great atmosphere, big enough for that powerful sound but small enough to feel intimate. Much better than Brixton. Great to see Tony seemingly embedded back in the fold now, I hope he is involved in the writing, the E/P tagged instrumental seemed to me more Tony than Carl but we shall no doubt find out in due course. Fans old and young also present although many may have been there just for HIM. The Neph crowd as always in top form, despite the usual ape moshing/wrestling stuff, which can be pretty unpleasant.

As to HIM, well it just nice to have a decent "support" band and a good warm up for the real thing. It was enjoyable hearing a decent band play some decent tunes. But for me they lacked something, maybe a bit of oomph, or stage presence or bite. I'm not going to be critical though, in the past there have been some truly desperate supports acts and this was my first time seeing HIM so that was interesting in its own right.

If an album does arrive then maybe this is the start of a new mini era, I just hope it doesn't then take another 9 years and a tribute band phase to maintain the momentum...........
jorge saavedra
Moonchild

Re: Thoughts from SBE 5/6 Dec

Post by jorge saavedra » Tue Dec 09, 2014 1:13 am

Well, by our words, i can only feel that i'm a lucky one, 'cause i've been there on saturday on my unforgetable first fotn gig. Next time they could make a little change on the suport band. Respectfully, HIM tells me nothing. Maybe The Eden House... would be perfect.

Whithout tony pettitt, perhaps i would never be a fotn devoted follower...
gilgamesh
Watcher

Post by gilgamesh » Tue Dec 09, 2014 9:33 am

jorge, you are a lucky guy to have had saturday as your first neph gig! may there be many more..........
jorge saavedra
Moonchild

Post by jorge saavedra » Wed Dec 10, 2014 12:58 am

Ena! Urra! Portugal, on the gotic summer festival on Leiria Castle !!!!!!

Whithout tony pettitt, perhaps i would never be a fotn devoted follower...
squishy
Nephilim

Post by squishy » Sat Dec 13, 2014 12:43 pm

Seems like two cracking gigs. Carl and Tony definitely enjoying themselves 100%, too.
remember what the doorknob said
jorge saavedra
Moonchild

Post by jorge saavedra » Sat Dec 20, 2014 2:06 am

markreed
Moonchild

Post by markreed » Sun Dec 21, 2014 12:54 pm

Here's my review : http://www.thefinalword.co.uk/content/view/1294/35/

Review I wrote. I thought it was *much* better than last year and I enjoyed it more than SBE 2008.
Ngie
Leviathan

Post by Ngie » Sun Dec 21, 2014 8:14 pm

It's a nice review.
ThomasB
Nephilim

Post by ThomasB » Mon Dec 22, 2014 8:45 am

Ngie wrote:It's a nice review.
Most indeedy, and… Brilliant pics ! *notworthy*
Fundraiser. You know, it's like Hellraiser, but without the Cenobites, the blood and all that.
IN NOMINE NEMO !
gilgamesh
Watcher

Post by gilgamesh » Mon Dec 22, 2014 9:54 am

Indeed, good review. The bit about being a band you were slowly falling out of love with struck a chord, the same as I felt. These shows have rekindled the fire!