Live at Roadburn 2015

Past and present concerts. Keep on talking about memories from the past, or about the gigs that are up and coming.

Moderators: Morphic, Blue Angel, The Fallen Ones

mindcleener
Nephilim

Live at Roadburn 2015

Post by mindcleener » Wed Aug 27, 2014 3:53 pm

First festival headline announcement of 2015 for Fields Of The Nephilim plus an exclusive special guest appearance. Full statement from promoter below:

Fields Of The Nephilim To Play Two Exclusive Shows At Roadburn Festival 2015

We are honored to announce that British gothic rock innovators Fields Of The Nephilim will be gracing the stage twice at the 20th edition of the Roadburn Festival at the 013 venue in Tilburg, The Netherlands. In addition to serving as the Saturday headliner on April 11, 2015, the band will perform a different set as special guests at ‘Houses Of The Holistic’ on Friday, the special Roadburn event curated by Ivar Bjørnson (Enslaved) and Wardruna's Einar "Kvitrafn" Selvik, which will be held on Friday, April 10.
Currently 30 years into a groundbreaking career, Fields of the Nephilim have had a major impact on an entire generation of musicians and music fans. Led by singer Carl McCoy, the Stevenage, England band fused the darker elements of post-punk with more overtly American sounds such as blues and outlaw country, creating a sound that was gritty, grandiose, and menacing, unlike anything that was made before or since. Such classic albums as Dawnrazor, The Nephilim, and Elizium helped shape the goth subculture, but at the same time played a profound role in influencing a wide array of today’s music, ranging from indie, to occult rock, to metal. Such contemporary bands as Watain, Katatonia, Horseback, and Enslaved cite the Nephilim as a major influence.
"Fields of the Nephilim has accepted our invitation for our "Houses of the Holistic" at Roadburn 2015. Bleep! Anything I say after that sentence is going to seem insignificant in comparison, so no pressure for once,” says Bjørnson, "I've been a avid fan of Carl McCoy and Fields of the Nephilim since I was introduced to them during the early years of Enslaved; and they have remained a constant source of inspiration ever since (check out the song ‘Nordlys’ from our Scion-EP ‘The Sleeping Gods’, for instance). Having these absolute masters of sublime Music from the Shadows as very special guests at our curated event is as big as it gets; April 2015 just can't come fast enough! Aaaaaarrrrggghhh!"
Comments Selvik: "The basic idea of our ‘Houses of the Holistic’ is of course about inviting bands we find interesting and would love to see perform but it is also about creating an event that at the same time says something about what shaped and inspired us on our own creative path - AND - since the authors of the poetic Edda are long since gone I personally have difficulty thinking of a more fitting band than Fields of the Nephilim to give voice to that idea."
We at Roadburn have been huge supporters of Fields Of The Nephilim since the Dawnrazor album in 1987, and with their influence looming large over so many acts that have played at our festival over the years, hosting these two special performances at Roadburn 2015 couldn’t be more appropriate.
Roadburn Festival 2015 (including The Heads as Artist In Residence, Wardruna and Enslaved among others) will run for four days from Thursday, April 9 to Sunday, April 12 at the 013 venue in Tilburg, The Netherlands.

Roadburn is a fantastic festival. I have to think about this one
scardwel
Leviathan

Re: Live at Roadburn 2015

Post by scardwel » Wed Aug 27, 2014 4:00 pm

FUCK OFF!
Last edited by scardwel on Sat Jun 20, 2020 12:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
captaino
Dawnrazor

Post by captaino » Thu Aug 28, 2014 3:43 pm

Thanx Scardy for the warning about the hotel, you're right, they very close to sold out !!!
Sounds to be a very good week-end, probably better than Arse-Fest :evil:
dj_chr1st
Dawnrazor

Post by dj_chr1st » Wed Sep 03, 2014 12:49 pm

captaino wrote:Thanx Scardy for the warning about the hotel, you're right, they very close to sold out !!!
Did you manage to book a hotel captaino ? I am struggling to get anywhere that isn't outside of the city centre..
So many creatures
which one are you now
sharpening features
which one are you now .
mindcleener
Nephilim

Post by mindcleener » Wed Sep 03, 2014 2:51 pm

dj_chr1st wrote:
captaino wrote:Thanx Scardy for the warning about the hotel, you're right, they very close to sold out !!!
Did you manage to book a hotel captaino ? I am struggling to get anywhere that isn't outside of the city centre..
There are very few hotels in the city. So don't expect to get anything in the city unless you want to pay around 90£ for the room. And thats for one day
scardwel
Leviathan

Post by scardwel » Wed Sep 03, 2014 4:54 pm

FUCK OFF!
Last edited by scardwel on Sat Jun 20, 2020 12:53 am, edited 2 times in total.
captaino
Dawnrazor

Post by captaino » Thu Sep 04, 2014 10:55 am

dj_chr1st wrote:
We are very far from the city center in a place called Auberge du Bonheur on booking, about 50 mn walking...but that's not a big deal. The room was of course pretty expensive, i guess 100 euros a night but as we are sharing with Druide it's fine. The Eindhoven plan could be an option. See you there !
dj_chr1st
Dawnrazor

Post by dj_chr1st » Thu Sep 04, 2014 1:03 pm

Ah cool , cheers guys :)
So many creatures
which one are you now
sharpening features
which one are you now .
mindcleener
Nephilim

Post by mindcleener » Thu Sep 04, 2014 2:08 pm

Please remember that the tickets normally sell out in less than 15 minutes.
captaino
Dawnrazor

Post by captaino » Thu Sep 04, 2014 2:35 pm

Thanx Morten, I read indeed they sell out fast but THAT fast ? I have to check the website every day to be reactive when the battle begin :twisted:
captaino
Dawnrazor

Post by captaino » Thu Sep 18, 2014 8:15 am

Tickets on sale Thursday 16st october, 21h CET
for the friday and the saturday only passes - no day ticket
guess the price of the passes : 165 euros (ouch)
scardwel
Leviathan

Post by scardwel » Sun Dec 07, 2014 11:37 am

Stick this in your archive: FUCK OFF!
Last edited by scardwel on Sat Jun 20, 2020 12:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
oldnephilim
Nephilim

Post by oldnephilim » Mon Dec 08, 2014 10:22 pm

not me, I wait for a tour .......... dawnrazor coach part 3, for sure my friends :D
“The Nephilim were on the earth in those days, and also afterward, when the sons of God came in to the daughters of man and they bore children to them. These were the mighty men who were of old, the men of renown.”
scardwel
Leviathan

Post by scardwel » Tue Dec 09, 2014 2:43 pm

Last edited by scardwel on Sat Jun 20, 2020 12:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
elsewhere
Moonchild

Post by elsewhere » Sun Feb 22, 2015 3:19 pm

Just bought tickets for me and my girlfriend. The lineup looks amazing. It will be expensive due to flights and missed work, but life is for living, right?

If you're going, be sure to not miss Iceland's fantastic and unique Solstafír, which also creates unique worlds and is influenced more than just a little bit by FotN. To see them both twice in three days... unbelievable.
scardwel
Leviathan

Post by scardwel » Wed Mar 18, 2015 4:52 pm

Last edited by scardwel on Sat Jun 20, 2020 12:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
lordnephilim
Psychonaut

Post by lordnephilim » Fri Mar 20, 2015 6:08 pm

So, anybody believe they're actually gonna play the full 1h50? To my knowledge they've never played such a long gig !? On the other hand I've heard the organizers are quite strict with this
the Man, the Myth, the Legend...
angry bob
Nephilim

Post by angry bob » Sat Mar 21, 2015 7:06 pm

It will include half an hour guitar solo from Andy James :d
morning comes as light burning out my eyes
scardwel
Leviathan

Post by scardwel » Fri Apr 10, 2015 9:01 pm

Last edited by scardwel on Sat Jun 20, 2020 12:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
elsewhere
Moonchild

Post by elsewhere » Sat Apr 11, 2015 12:50 pm

A nice gig yesterday and a "greatest hits" list of songs, but that was all it was for me. Almost a note-to-note reproduction of the original sound and nuances, and as a hobbyist guitar player, it was great to stand in the front row and watch how the elusive riffs were actually played.

That said, I was kind of let down by the gig: I've seen FotN live three times now and Sólstafir four times and the comparison between the yesterday's gigs by the bands couldn't have been more stark. Sólstafir (which is in my mind comparable to FotN in many ways and also played songs that I've heard a gazillion times) was dangerous, improvisational and even humorous at times while the Fields seemed to be going through the numbers.

Assuming they won't repeat a lot of the songs I look forward to tonight, because the set list has got to be more interesting.