London Shepherd's Bush Empire 5th & 6th December 2014

Past and present concerts. Keep on talking about memories from the past, or about the gigs that are up and coming.

Moderators: Morphic, Blue Angel, The Fallen Ones

goyless
Psychonaut

Re: London Shepherd's Bush Empire 5th & 6th December 2014

Post by goyless » Sun Dec 07, 2014 11:27 pm

Allow me to share some more thoughts based on these 2 shows.

On Saturday it was the first time that I was not participating in the fun but observing it from above like a true gargoyle I am. Since I got used to standing close enough to see Carl's tooth crowns, being so far from the stage was a completely different experience for me. Both negative and positive. I certainly felt disjoined from the band and from the crowd's energy. Most probably I would rather not go to the show at all then again take the "cheap seats".
On another hand, I could make certain conclusions seeing HIM and the Neph performing side by side. Commercially successful and widely popular vs. vintage and underground. I think I can safely assume that this event attracted equal amount of fans from both factions: I've seen teenage girls with HIM logo tattooed on their wrists and respectful gentlemen in their 40s and 50s dressed in the Nephilim attire.
I've never seen HIM live before, so I assumed that they would put up some spectacular show based on how popular and successful they are. "C'mon, this is not just some small-town band, quite the opposite - the most popular band in the world that got a "gothic" tag over it." That's what I thought. I was very wrong about that. They couldn't shake the crowd, couldn't even shake the fans that came to see them. From above it was especially noticeable how pathetic their attempts were - the crowd remained cold to the point that multiple people preferred checking their phones over actually watching the show.
Now, The Nephilim totally kicked everyone's ass. Respectful gentlemen have shown how to really have fun. Yes, that's one thing - the fans. But another thing is - the performers. THIS was the moment when I realized how unique the Nephilim performance is. The lights that create eerie atmosphere. The ambient music in between the songs. Let's not forget the smoke. And of course, the movements and gestures of the Carl.
HIM performed like any other mediocre punk or metal band while the Nephilim really took me *there*. I could picture them surrounded by post-nuclear ruins, or standing on overgrown graveyard on a misty night, and that was the magic of it. And it has made me appreciate them even more.

Thank you for your attention and good night!
Gargoyles rock!
scardwel
Leviathan

Post by scardwel » Mon Dec 08, 2014 12:26 am

FUCK OFF!
Last edited by scardwel on Sat Jun 20, 2020 12:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
jorge saavedra
Moonchild

Post by jorge saavedra » Mon Dec 08, 2014 2:44 am

Really? In wich balcony were rippin and taylor?
In fact, some girls leave the show after him. The positive point of view was the 40s and 50s years old that remained in the room after all were not their parents, but truely fans of the nephilim.
jorge saavedra
Moonchild

Post by jorge saavedra » Mon Dec 08, 2014 2:48 am

Correction: i mean rippin and steve carrey, not taylor[?!?]
Mouse
Watcher

Post by Mouse » Mon Dec 08, 2014 1:33 pm

Thoroughly good 2 days!! Thanks everyone!
Saturday the sound and performance were so much better, might have been I was more central but it was a great show. And I have to say that Tony's sound makes all the difference just closing our eyes and feeling the bass underpinning and holding things together is amazing...
Rumours aside never expected to hear new songs, so excited, need to listen more, but yay!! announce an album tour now and life will be complete...
goyless
Psychonaut

Post by goyless » Mon Dec 08, 2014 1:55 pm

scardwel wrote:To be fair it wasn't HIM's gig. They were just "special guests'. It was Carl returning the favour after Ville Valo booked FoTN for his Helldone Festival back in 2007. I thought they were o.k. One of the better acts I've seen supporting the Nephs, and I've seen some shite over the years.
That's why I said that there were a lot of people who came solely for HIM. And besides, isn't it the same as saying that last December's shows were not Merciful Nuns shows? In any case, I expected a much better performance from *the* HIM...
Gargoyles rock!
hellboy69
Dawnrazor

Post by hellboy69 » Mon Dec 08, 2014 3:18 pm

Great to see some of you reprobates on the Saturday, good times, really enjoyed the set & the new ZoonChoon! :mrgreen:
in the swirling pool of blood and brains...
captaino
Dawnrazor

Post by captaino » Mon Dec 08, 2014 3:33 pm

scardwel wrote: it was amusing to see a certain Wayne Hussey up on the balcony, obviously there to see HIM, as he left by the time the Neph went on.
Nope .... Saturday evening, the glorious leader was at the Neph show for about an hour, seemed to have as much fun as we have and just left before the encores...
Great to see you all again...next time in Tilburg then...
dj_chr1st
Dawnrazor

Post by dj_chr1st » Mon Dec 08, 2014 4:46 pm

What a fantastic weekend !

It was great to see you all , it had been far to long .
The band sounded fantastic and new song as well .
Could not of asked for more. *notworthy*
So many creatures
which one are you now
sharpening features
which one are you now .
Ngie
Leviathan

Post by Ngie » Mon Dec 08, 2014 5:06 pm

goyless wrote:So what E/P stands for? "Excellent premise"? "Eternal procrastination"?
And also was it 2 separate pieces? Because I thought that this instrumental part when the Carl left the stage was a separate song. Am I missing something?
Extended Play or E for Earthbound and P for Prophecy
oldnephilim
Nephilim

Post by oldnephilim » Mon Dec 08, 2014 10:20 pm

Only a few words, I just got home, stunning !!! What a hell of a weekend, I agree with the folks before me. Just one thing to add, 95 MINUTES on saturday, maybe the longest gig since the old days, and so fcuking brilliant !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

awesome, awesome, awesome ................................ tbc

*notworthy* *notworthy* *notworthy* *notworthy* *notworthy*
“The Nephilim were on the earth in those days, and also afterward, when the sons of God came in to the daughters of man and they bore children to them. These were the mighty men who were of old, the men of renown.”
seewhatyousee
Moonchild

Post by seewhatyousee » Mon Dec 08, 2014 10:51 pm

Indeed, nice to have longer lasting shows! *notworthy* Nice to meet old and new faces :D the new song(s) was great :mrgreen:
jorge saavedra
Moonchild

Post by jorge saavedra » Tue Dec 09, 2014 12:46 am

Thanks for post the video zed. One of best i have seen. And in fact, tony is "my fellow" on fotn.
KaosCrow
Moonchild

Post by KaosCrow » Tue Dec 09, 2014 12:00 pm

Yes, yes, yes!
An absolute blinder of a show. I was only there for the Saturday night and this was the first time I really got stuck into the mosh pit too.
Thanks all!

Hail Eris!

KaosCrow
xxx
"Nothing is true, it's all a load of b*//*cks"
Hassan ali Baba
Dr Cerebus
Watcher

Post by Dr Cerebus » Tue Dec 09, 2014 1:08 pm

Crackin' weekend. I honestly didn't believe that there would be new material.

Really good to see people. Only downside was having to leave so early to get blasted trains.

Roll on the album tour. In the interests of me not paying for hotels I vote for Bristol, Oxford, Wolverhampton, Leicester (in time for DJ C's housewarming :mrgreen: ). They can then bugger off to the North, Scotland and suchlike for a few days returning the following weekend for a stonking end of tour at SBE! *smoking*
falling from ecstasy...
...amongst other things
Carmilla94
Moonchild

Post by Carmilla94 » Tue Dec 09, 2014 9:59 pm

https://vimeo.com/113953465

Here's a spot of Preacherman from the 1st night.

x
rockyrockshot
Moonchild

Post by rockyrockshot » Sat Feb 28, 2015 2:17 pm

Hello, just wanted to share this live review and photos up on Rockshot now.
http://rockshot.co.uk/dir/12627/live-fi ... he-empire/

What a great show it was and made me a big fan...Any comments let em rip and if you advise any changes let us know. Thanks.