How "live" is Earth inferno / Visionary heads?

Discuss about the albums and videos the band has released over the years. The band we are talking about here is of course F.O.T.N. and not side-projects, similar bands etc. Please use other sections if you want to talk about the weather.

Moderators: Morphic, Blue Angel, The Fallen Ones

kazamel
Psychonaut

Post by kazamel » Thu Aug 09, 2007 1:39 pm

Listening to Memoriam and with Earth Inferno in the back of my head, it's a first time for me to realize what fun it must have been to play in such a tight band and performing tracks that go from mystical to rock and back within 10 minutes. Like Psychonaut for instance. Being Carl must have been like living a wet dream. And looking at the guitarists faces on Visionary Heads, they seem to be a bit nervous and highly concentrated at first, but I guess as a concert proceeds everything loosens up a bit so they can really enjoy it.
I like these calm little moments before the storm. It reminds me of Beethoven. Can you hear it? It's like when you put your head to the grass and you can hear the growin' and you can hear the insects.
Ahrayeph

Post by Ahrayeph » Thu Aug 09, 2007 3:08 pm

kazamel wrote:...looking at the guitarists faces on Visionary Heads, they seem to be a bit nervous and highly concentrated at first, but I guess as a concert proceeds everything loosens up a bit so they can really enjoy it.
That's what we all go through, Stefan. The first minutes of a gig are the most nerve wrecking, but after, say, two songs you can loosen up a bit, especially when the crowd is responsive. *fingers crossed for the 22nd Movement *whistle* *
Last Exit
Psychonaut

Post by Last Exit » Sat Aug 11, 2007 2:52 pm

kazamel wrote:. And looking at the guitarists faces on Visionary Heads, they seem to be a bit nervous and highly concentrated at first, but I guess as a concert proceeds everything loosens up a bit so they can really enjoy it.
In Paul's case it was sobering up :wink:
Tandooris R rockin'
WolfLover
Dawnrazor

Post by WolfLover » Thu Aug 16, 2007 7:31 pm

angry bob wrote:I think, Earth Inferno has such amazing and powerful sound that some of the tracks are better than their orginal versions.For example,Last Exit For The Lost and Dawnrazor never excited me so much as they do on EI.Or drums and guitar "solo" ending At The Gates Of Silent Memory.This is just smashing!
Live records need to be sounding selective and big.Otherwise they're not enjoyable when you listen them at home.
Intro (Dead But Dreaming/For Her Light/ At The Gates Of Silent Memory/Paradise Regained, Last Exit For The Lost, Dawnrazor, Moonchild are nothing short of stunning live.
If you pass through my soul tonight
Gather all his troubles
Tomorrow's long with eternal night
Gather for tomorrow
When I'm gone wait here
Discover all of earth's surprises
When I'm gone wait here
I'll send my child my last good smile
gilgamesh
Watcher

Post by gilgamesh » Sat Aug 18, 2007 10:31 pm

I was lucky enough to see them around 20 times or so between 1987 and late 1990 and the gigs definitely progressed in terms of quality, the latter ones were simply stunning. It wouldn't surprise me to find that the live versions taken from some of those recordings would be good. Generally I don't bother with live CDs as I like the live experience itself and when I listen to a CD I want the studio versions rather than pretending I'm somewhere I'm not. However I will make an excpetion when Mr Stanley's DVD comes out even though Carl may want a couple of years worth of fine tuning and post production...........
Elisium Fields
Watcher

Post by Elisium Fields » Tue Aug 21, 2007 10:19 am

Ahrayeph wrote: The only way this double CD could have been better, was if 'Trees Come Down' had been part of the set list. Then - and only then - it wouldn't be toppable for me....
Blimey.........'Trees Come Down' on the 'Memorium' set list..........what a fantastic idea! Definalty, as you say, an untoppable set-list that would be. :shock:
"I stand alone, inside you.....I stand alone, the skys bruised..........."
WolfLover
Dawnrazor

Post by WolfLover » Tue Oct 02, 2007 1:26 pm

angry bob wrote:I think, Earth Inferno has such amazing and powerful sound that some of the tracks are better than their orginal versions.For example,Last Exit For The Lost and Dawnrazor never excited me so much as they do on EI.Or drums and guitar "solo" ending At The Gates Of Silent Memory.This is just smashing!
Live records need to be sounding selective and big.Otherwise they're not enjoyable when you listen them at home.
Very very true. And I love that awesome guitar solo myself from At The Gates Of Silent Memory and Nods very powerful drumming. It should be in with the list of the greatest guitar solos ever. :D
If you pass through my soul tonight
Gather all his troubles
Tomorrow's long with eternal night
Gather for tomorrow
When I'm gone wait here
Discover all of earth's surprises
When I'm gone wait here
I'll send my child my last good smile
Lavey
Moonchild

Post by Lavey » Tue Oct 02, 2007 3:04 pm

Earth Inferno and Memoriam are brilliant !

Before hearing the Fields live, I didn't really like live recordings. I've heard so many bad ones from other bands. Sometimes you could hardly hear what song they were playing. The singer often doesn't sound anywhere near the studio albums without all the effects or isn't really able to hit the notes, and the same goes for many musicians.

Then I heard Earth Inferno and thought that Last Exit for the Lost was so much better than on the studio album. It was much more powerful and sounded perfect. If there hadn't been the crowd before and after the song I wouldn't believe that it's a live recording.

The same with Memoriam. My favourite on it at the moment is "Sumerland". With Nod's drumming and the guitar playing things that weren't on the studio album or at least not noticeable, it sounds much more powerful again. And it's near to perfection. After hearing the first studio album I didn't think that Carl could sing like this live. And I didn't think that the instruments could be played so precisely on a live recording. So Memoriam sometimes tricks me into thinking I'm listening to a studio album when I'm not thinking about it. I'm really glad that person recorded that gig in Birmingham but wonder why it took ages for it to become public. Just imagine how many great bootlegs there might be, rotting in a basement or on some sound technician's hard drive...
glauco
Moonchild

gratitude

Post by glauco » Fri Jun 28, 2013 11:07 am

Thank you very much indeed to the posters in this thread. Prompted by this thread I 'located' Memoriam and am currently listening to Sumerland over and over again and it is just so damn good.
Paulito
Moonchild

Re: How "live" is Earth inferno / Visionary heads?

Post by Paulito » Thu Dec 12, 2013 9:04 pm

I saw them at Liverpool Royal Court on that tour in September 1990...first gig I'd ever been too,and still the best one. They really were something else.
The thing that stood out for me was the rhythm section...Tony and Nod were amazing.
nomad
Watcher

Re: How "live" is Earth inferno / Visionary heads?

Post by nomad » Wed Dec 18, 2013 8:33 pm

Listening to Memoriam as I tap - damn they were good, weren't they?

*cthulhu*
"Where's the little man?"