Wail of sumer / And there will your heart be also meaning

Discuss about the albums and videos the band has released over the years. The band we are talking about here is of course F.O.T.N. and not side-projects, similar bands etc. Please use other sections if you want to talk about the weather.

Moderators: Morphic, Blue Angel, The Fallen Ones

brunobossier
Moonchild

Wail of sumer / And there will your heart be also meaning

Post by brunobossier » Sun Apr 15, 2007 5:41 pm

Hi,

Just new to this forum, so appologies if this question has been asked before.

What is the meaning behind the lyrics of Wail of sumer / And there will your heart be also ?

Thanks,
Bruno
Badlander
Leviathan

Re: Wail of sumer / And there will your heart be also meanin

Post by Badlander » Sun Apr 15, 2007 6:18 pm

Hello and welcome. 8)
brunobossier wrote: What is the meaning behind the lyrics of Wail of sumer / And there will your heart be also ?

Now where do we start ? :?
How much time have you got ? :roll:
And when the promise was broken, I cashed in a few of my dreams
dawn_
Dawnrazor

Post by dawn_ » Sun Apr 15, 2007 6:52 pm

Welcome !

I think that you should take all Elizium lyrics as a whole...and then we could try and guess the meaning :wink:
There's a interesting article discussing this theme, written by Paula O'Keefe "Leviathan Chained".

and sure, as Bandlander wrote, it depends how much time you have..'coz this could be an endless discussion :)

I'm surprised to find out that here (in comparison to that other FOTN forum, can't remember it's name right now) is so little said about meanings of lyrics...
why is that so??
brunobossier
Moonchild

Post by brunobossier » Sun Apr 15, 2007 9:23 pm

Oeps, looks like I touched a difficult subject. Yes, I have a lot of time :-)

I also heard before that you should treat the Elizium lyrics or even the complete Fields lyrics as a whole, even now with Mourning sun.

A good friend of mine (also die-hard Fields fan) explained me that these lyrics refer to a state of mind where the soul leaves the body (sorry for the clumsy english, can't find any better description right now). Cfr. "We must suffer to free our pain" or the Psychonaut video clip where Carl is ritually hanged.

If someone has a link where the Fields lyrics are discussed, please do let me know.
Ahrayeph

Post by Ahrayeph » Sun Apr 15, 2007 10:20 pm

Here's one by the aforementioned Paula O' Keefe.
And Beth Winegarner's site also deals with the lyrical content of the Neph. And sir, might we assume you're another one of the Belgian persuasion (like me and several others here)? Your name certainly indicates this. In any case : welcome!
Nic
The Watchman

Post by Nic » Mon Apr 16, 2007 6:21 pm

Welcome brunobossier.

Enjoy your stay. 8)
When routine bites hard and ambitions are low...
Blue Angel
Nephilim

Post by Blue Angel » Mon Apr 16, 2007 7:56 pm

Welcome Brunobossier!

Keep Postin'

:D
Fields of the Neffalump

Jism!
Ahrayeph

Post by Ahrayeph » Mon Apr 16, 2007 8:51 pm

I think it's easier if you call him Bruno... :P
Nic
The Watchman

Post by Nic » Mon Apr 16, 2007 9:05 pm

Ahrayeph wrote:I think it's easier if you call him Bruno... :P
Not if you use copy paste. :wink:

Yeah I'm lazy I know...
When routine bites hard and ambitions are low...
brunobossier
Moonchild

Post by brunobossier » Mon Apr 16, 2007 9:07 pm

Thanks to you all believers of the Nephilim :-) !
thegranny
Leviathan

Post by thegranny » Mon Apr 16, 2007 11:50 pm

as always Im late, Welcome! :mrgreen:
"Cover his face so that he may not see the light."
http://www.elusive.no
R.I.P. Jan Kenneth.
Ahrayeph

Post by Ahrayeph » Tue Apr 17, 2007 7:36 am

thegranny wrote:as always Im late, Welcome! :mrgreen:
Well, you need a kane or a walking rack to move around, so it's only normal you're a bit later than the rest of us. Unless you mean something else with 'being late'... :mrgreen:
Mont Ventoux
Psychonaut

Post by Mont Ventoux » Wed Apr 18, 2007 6:16 pm

Bruno, are you italian like me?
I think that the lyrics of Wayl of Sumer-And there will your heart be also close the mental journey developed in Elyzium, it's the end of a walk in the inner state of consciousness, they express a feeling of freedom.
Elyzium it's a search of a mistic state to "free our pain" to "find our way", going besides the limits imposed by material forces.
A sense of peace, every time I listen to Elyzium, expecially songs number 6, 7 and 8, my mind goes out from my body, it's an incredible and magic feeling.
"You're here to stay, stay here, in PARADISE"
brunobossier
Moonchild

Post by brunobossier » Wed Apr 18, 2007 6:33 pm

No, I'm from Belgium.

I think your explanation is more or less right. To understand the lyrics, we should dive into Shamanism. Heaven, Nirvana, ... for the Shaman this is called Sumerland. All different names for basically the same place : paradise. And I think this is what those both songs are about : the search for ultimate happiness.
Dreadbear
Psychonaut

About Nirvana!

Post by Dreadbear » Thu Apr 19, 2007 1:01 pm

I might be a bit boring here but Nirvana has nothing to with paradise. Nirvana cannot be explained cause it´s beyond reach of the ordinary human mind. Paradise in a christian meaning is something completely else.

:wink: Boring Dreadbear
Ahrayeph

Post by Ahrayeph » Thu Apr 19, 2007 2:11 pm

I personally don't think Wail.../And there... is about achieving Paradise, Nirvana or whatever else. It is about striving to achieve an unattainable goal and the release of pain by suffering on this level of existence. In fact, the literal lyrics are pretty self explanatory to me. I think it's one of the most transparent Neph songs (yes, I see these songs as a whole, like more of us) that way. If I wasn't at work, I'd attempt to give a longer insight, but that's something I might have to leave for the weekend...
Hat_Shades
Moonchild

Post by Hat_Shades » Thu Sep 17, 2020 12:11 am

Attempting to interpret these lyrics by standard protocol has two major problems:

The "rational" [within quotation] approach tries to find literal meaning in a succession of terminology, regardless of whether said terminology is taken per se or as an abstract form [huh?]

The "irrational" approach tries to interpret words as "feelings"/ states of mind etc. Risky , as the state of mind of the author eludes you.

And how could it not?

The rationale [and rhyme and reason] dictates an interpretation of the words as manifestations of images --> a vision choreographed by words and orchestrated by sounds.

This has been the genius of the band on this album -- it all clicked together.

Discard the need to "Explain" and simply experience the lift-off from the mediocrity of "ground level" in a journey that concludes by never concluding --> these two final songs [an entity] elevate consciousness in a soothing palette of emotions and sensations.

'And suddenly... life has new meaning' : )
Ngie
Leviathan

Post by Ngie » Sat Sep 19, 2020 10:20 am

Hat_Shades wrote:Attempting to interpret these lyrics by standard protocol has two major problems:

The "rational" [within quotation] approach tries to find literal meaning in a succession of terminology, regardless of whether said terminology is taken per se or as an abstract form [huh?]

The "irrational" approach tries to interpret words as "feelings"/ states of mind etc. Risky , as the state of mind of the author eludes you.

And how could it not?

The rationale [and rhyme and reason] dictates an interpretation of the words as manifestations of images --> a vision choreographed by words and orchestrated by sounds.

This has been the genius of the band on this album -- it all clicked together.

Discard the need to "Explain" and simply experience the lift-off from the mediocrity of "ground level" in a journey that concludes by never concluding --> these two final songs [an entity] elevate consciousness in a soothing palette of emotions and sensations.

'And suddenly... life has new meaning' : )
That's an interesting explanation, thanks for sharing it and welcome on board Hat_Shades! :)
Hat_Shades
Moonchild

Post by Hat_Shades » Sat Sep 19, 2020 1:32 pm

Ngie wrote:
That's an interesting explanation, thanks for sharing it and welcome on board Hat_Shades! :)
Thank you, difficult as it is to "interpret" this album, I think it's best devoured en bloc, as a wash of audio - visual sensations

[interestingly, I find "zoon", its harsh flipside and conceptual doppelganger, to be more deliberate and discrete themes stand out]

Also -- thank you for the welcome, I 've been here for ages as a "silent reader" and I thought I'd join

see if we can achieve, for this place, a [red sun] revival

After all -- "That is not dead which can eternal lie / And with strange aeons even death may die"

[...or maybe i am at an age where nostalgia for pre-social media boards/forums got the best of me.. woops]
gilgamesh
Watcher

Post by gilgamesh » Wed Dec 09, 2020 1:24 pm

I know it might be anathema to some, but I tend to enjoy the songs as atmospheric musical/vocal pieces in their own right without trying to interpret or understand the lyrics. The lyrics are just so deep and I am pretty sure that Mr McCoy crafted them very precisely using all his well publicised influences. For me its a bit like listening to Sigur Ros, their () album contains "nonsense" vocals, but enjoying the tracks doesn't necessarily require meaningful lyrics, the mood, atmosphere, tempo, instruments, song structure etc all play in as much as the vocal track. Poplaggio for instance (track 8 on that album) is a mesmerising and explosive piece of music even though it is not "about" anything. So with the Nephs I am happy to understand the odd sentence but also accept that many lines I simply have no idea what it all means!! There have been several attempts, as stated above in other posts, but if anything conclusive comes out I will still be as interested as anyone to discover what it is truly all about.........