The Nephilim 1998

Discuss about the albums and videos the band has released over the years. The band we are talking about here is of course F.O.T.N. and not side-projects, similar bands etc. Please use other sections if you want to talk about the weather.

Moderators: Morphic, Blue Angel, The Fallen Ones

sofad
Moonchild

The Nephilim 1998

Post by sofad » Mon Nov 15, 2010 7:26 pm

Hello everyone :) This is my first post here.

I'd like to ask about 'The Nephilim' released in 1998. Is this just a reissue or 'digitally remastered'?
I'm asking 'casue remasters are usually excessively loud and listening to such CDs is too fatiguing for me.
I've been looking for 'The Nephilim' first press CD for a while now but I can only find this version from 1998. Is it worth buying? Isn't it too loud? Maybe some of you could post waveforms of at least one song from the album so I could see how loud it is?

Thanks a lot for any reply :)
Jen O. Side
Moonchild

Re: The Nephilim 1998

Post by Jen O. Side » Mon Nov 15, 2010 10:16 pm

sofad wrote:Hello everyone :) This is my first post here.

I'd like to ask about 'The Nephilim' released in 1998. Is this just a reissue or 'digitally remastered'?
I'm asking 'casue remasters are usually excessively loud and listening to such CDs is too fatiguing for me.
I've been looking for 'The Nephilim' first press CD for a while now but I can only find this version from 1998. Is it worth buying? Isn't it too loud? Maybe some of you could post waveforms of at least one song from the album so I could see how loud it is?

Thanks a lot for any reply :)
Hi sofad

As far as I know, there are no "Remastered" Albums so far. The copies you find are "Re-Released" i.e. same sound (Hit me twice if I'm wrong). The "The Nephilim" Album is imo very low at volume. But I can assure you, you can close your dirty little eyes and buy it straight away without hesitation! I did it more than twice... It's worth every penny! :D

But why do you prefer records with low volume? Can't you just set your sound system a bit lower?

For me own part, I'd love me some high-level remasters... indeedy *cthulhu*

Greetings
markandre13
Leviathan

Post by markandre13 » Tue Nov 16, 2010 12:26 am

Jen O. Side wrote:For me own part, I'd love me some high-level remasters... indeedy *cthulhu*
:shock: OMG!!!
So it's because of you that DVD-Audio and 24bit audio never took off! :evil:
Say, why don't ya go and buy yourself a fine compressor, say, like a 2300€ Solid State Logic XLogic G-Series Compressor, connect that babe to your HiFi deck and enjoy this disgusting genocide all by yourself! He? Hu? *whistle* :wink:
"It's probably better to have him inside the tent pissing out, than outside the tent pissing in." -- Lyndon B. Johnson
Jen O. Side
Moonchild

Post by Jen O. Side » Tue Nov 16, 2010 1:18 am

markandre13 wrote:
Jen O. Side wrote:For me own part, I'd love me some high-level remasters... indeedy *cthulhu*
Say, why don't ya go and buy yourself a fine compressor, say, like a 2300€ Solid State Logic XLogic G-Series Compressor, connect that babe to your HiFi deck and enjoy this disgusting genocide all by yourself! He? Hu? *whistle* :wink:
Hm?! I don't understand your issue...!?

All volume levels are fine as long as you've got the fire power, babe, if you know whadda mean... NO! NOT THAT ONE, YE NAUGHTY NUNs!
Ngie
Leviathan

Post by Ngie » Tue Nov 16, 2010 3:52 am

In other words the main thing should consist in avoiding Saturation, shouldn't it?
sofad
Moonchild

Post by sofad » Tue Nov 16, 2010 9:10 am

Why do i hate remasters? IMO beacause the sound quality that they offer has nothing to do with music. I know 'The Nephilim' as I've been listening to it since weeks and I know it's worth any money. But I don't want it to sound like over-compressed modern CDs or some digitally remastered nightmare. I want 100% FOTN sound.
Anyway, so you say that 'The Nephilim' from 1998 has the same mixes as original press?
markandre13
Leviathan

Post by markandre13 » Tue Nov 16, 2010 9:57 am

Jen O. Side wrote:
markandre13 wrote:
Hm?! I don't understand your issue...!?

All volume levels are fine as long as you've got the fire power, babe, if you know whadda mean... NO! NOT THAT ONE, YE NAUGHTY NUNs!
Ah! Okay! I am sorry!

You see, the maximal sound level isn't usually reached over the whole song. Especially in classical music recordings or DVD-Video, where the sound suddenly becomes really loud during dramatic scenes.
Now there's a thing going on these days, called the loudness war (which has nothing to do with the loudness equalizer setting btw.), where re-releases use a compressor to bump up the loudness of all frequencies in the recording toward the maximum. This way you're loosing the dynamics of the original recording. And some people think that this just sucks. It also renders the enhanced dynamic range possible with the DVD (24bit) compared to the CD (16bit) pretty much useless.

On the other hand, this loudness war is a nice service for hard of hearing people and they increase the loudness with every re-release at bit more. Maybe the music industry hopes that people re-buy their whole CD collection every ten years because they think that their CDs aged, when it was, in fact, their ears.
Or their are just trying to sell the old music to the new deaf generation. Who knows? :wink:
"It's probably better to have him inside the tent pissing out, than outside the tent pissing in." -- Lyndon B. Johnson
Jen O. Side
Moonchild

Post by Jen O. Side » Tue Nov 16, 2010 2:00 pm

So do you think that's the case with the Nephilim Album? I'm not too sure...
But anyway, if you wanna feel all the frequencies on a record, you got to listen to Vinyl. It's the ultimate medium, still.
markandre13
Leviathan

Post by markandre13 » Tue Nov 16, 2010 3:47 pm

Jen O. Side wrote:So do you think that's the case with the Nephilim Album? I'm not too sure...
Oh no! I'm pretty sure that they haven't done that to the Nephilim album. I tend to hope that this is more a mainstream thing as the major try to sell music like cheap fast food.
Jen O. Side wrote:But anyway, if you wanna feel all the frequencies on a record, you got to listen to Vinyl. It's the ultimate medium, still.
Ha! My LPs showed crosstalk between the grooves and crackle from the dust. I'm also sure that the high frequencies were degrading after every use. This was mid-range equipment I used. I hate it when technology tries to enslave me, it should just work.
Nevertheless, it had been more fun looking at the turntable, feeling the weight of the record when you turned 'em around. It's like those hours of enjoyment I had as a child watching the washing machine rotate, only it was with added music.

Vinyl, CD and MP3 sound differently. And much to my amusement, today's youth seems to prefer the MP3 sound because it's what they're grow with.
Jen O. Side
Moonchild

Post by Jen O. Side » Tue Nov 16, 2010 4:07 pm

I think that the Nephilim Album could use a bit more volume. Even Dawnrazor has got a bit more.

As for mP3's... I must admit I listen mostly to mP3's these days. I haven't got classically trained ears so I don't hear the big difference. It's also comfy sittin' in my lazy chair, havin' a drink or two and not having to move to change records. I'm such a lazy ass...
markandre13
Leviathan

Post by markandre13 » Tue Nov 16, 2010 4:31 pm

Jen O. Side wrote:As for mP3's... I must admit I listen mostly to mP3's these days. I haven't got classically trained ears so I don't hear the big difference. It's also comfy sittin' in my lazy chair, havin' a drink or two and not having to move to change records. I'm such a lazy ass...
My ears aren't trained either. For months now I'm planing to put the Neph CDs in a CD Player again instead of using the computer... and I'm still planing. :?

I usually listen with headphones, sing, jump around and poke holes in the air with my hands; other times I sit on my chair, stomp with my feet and smash the furniture to pieces with my two drum sticks.
This is the moment when usually the wife interrupts. :mrgreen:
NorthernNephilim
Nephilim

Post by NorthernNephilim » Tue Nov 16, 2010 6:48 pm

the original Albums should kept original as they are or done as a very good remaster from people who know about what they are doing.

Listened at a normal volume level the up an downrizing volume levels are used for the "story telling" at the album best example: Last exit, quit at the beginning and more powerful at the ending, and the mixing with the movie samples between the songs for keeping the atmosphere.

http://turnmeup.org/

I.btw. all re releases of The Nephilim and Dawnrazor are only reprints (new Catalog ID and so on) not remasters ..
markandre13
Leviathan

Post by markandre13 » Tue Nov 16, 2010 9:45 pm

NorthernNephilim wrote:I.btw. all re releases of The Nephilim and Dawnrazor are only reprints (new Catalog ID and so on) not remasters ..
I'm impressed! :mrgreen:
baba
Watcher

Post by baba » Sat Nov 27, 2010 4:33 am

remasters can be nice of early recordings with obvious sound quality problems, but if it isn't broken don't fix it.
Jen O. Side
Moonchild

Post by Jen O. Side » Sat Nov 27, 2010 4:12 pm

baba wrote:remasters can be nice of early recordings with obvious sound quality problems, but if it isn't broken don't fix it.
In german there is a saying: "Etwas kaputt reparieren" which generally means "to fix something (not broken) until it's broken".
Sorry, I know it's a bumpy translation, but that's as close as I get...
baba
Watcher

Post by baba » Sun Nov 28, 2010 2:30 pm

Jen O. Side wrote:
baba wrote:remasters can be nice of early recordings with obvious sound quality problems, but if it isn't broken don't fix it.
In german there is a saying: "Etwas kaputt reparieren" which generally means "to fix something (not broken) until it's broken".
Sorry, I know it's a bumpy translation, but that's as close as I get...

*notworthy* *notworthy* *notworthy*
Mark Anthony Quested
Leviathan

Post by Mark Anthony Quested » Sun Nov 28, 2010 9:50 pm

First FOTN album I ever heard, way back yonder in 1991.
Yours, aye!

Mark Anthony Quested
Facebook - http://www.facebook.com/markanthonyquested
Twitter - Mark Anthony Quested @MAQuested
"He posts, in confusion!"
wild bill buttock
Nephilim

Post by wild bill buttock » Mon Nov 29, 2010 3:40 pm

Somewhere out in Dawnrazorland, someone has a signed copy of the double vynyl album version of "The Nephilim". And one of the blokes what signed it told me they did a double album version because the band weren't happy with how the sound came across as a long single album (too quiet was mentioned).
As for the CD versions of "Dawnrazor", "The nephilim" and "Elizium", I think they are dreadful volumewise. A fcuking nightmare to DJ with as the volume is so low. But then again most CDs from the late 80's/ early 90's are the same (The non remastered Sisters albums are equally as shit). Something to do with the compression or so I'm told by a friendly expert in these things.
I'd love to hear all three albums remastered by that there Andy Jackson fella meself.
Mark Anthony Quested
Leviathan

Post by Mark Anthony Quested » Mon Nov 29, 2010 4:05 pm

wild bill buttock wrote:Somewhere out in Dawnrazorland, someone has a signed copy of the double vynyl album version of "The Nephilim". And one of the blokes what signed it told me they did a double album version because the band weren't happy with how the sound came across as a long single album (too quiet was mentioned).
As for the CD versions of "Dawnrazor", "The nephilim" and "Elizium", I think they are dreadful volumewise. A fcuking nightmare to DJ with as the volume is so low. But then again most CDs from the late 80's/ early 90's are the same (The non remastered Sisters albums are equally as shit). Something to do with the compression or so I'm told by a friendly expert in these things.
I'd love to hear all three albums remastered by that there Andy Jackson fella meself.
I have a copy of the limited edition double album version of The Nephilim.

It was the very first FOTN recording that I ever heard, the double LP edition, way back yonder in 1991; almost 20 years ago. So it has a warm place in my heart. :mrgreen:

I dubbed the CDs on to my PC and then transfered them over to my mobile phone's MP3 player. They sound alright as MP3s. Suitably loud.
Yours, aye!

Mark Anthony Quested
Facebook - http://www.facebook.com/markanthonyquested
Twitter - Mark Anthony Quested @MAQuested
"He posts, in confusion!"
Jen O. Side
Moonchild

Post by Jen O. Side » Mon Nov 29, 2010 6:37 pm

My first version of the Nephilim album was the vinyl gatefold. I think it was the UK print. Strange thing is, I kinda remember that Shiva was on there, but according to Discogs, it actually is featured only on the US Beggars Banquet, RCA vinyl prints. It kinda gives me a feeling of reversed deja vu or somethin', very odd...

http://www.discogs.com/Fields-Of-The-Ne ... master/294