Preacher Man video

Discuss about the albums and videos the band has released over the years. The band we are talking about here is of course F.O.T.N. and not side-projects, similar bands etc. Please use other sections if you want to talk about the weather.

Moderators: Morphic, Blue Angel, The Fallen Ones

almagast
Moonchild

Preacher Man video

Post by almagast » Sat Jul 03, 2010 11:54 pm

there are two things i don't understand about that video :

1. can anyone explain the "story" to a poor newbie like me?
2. the blonde person with a sherif badge : is a girl or a boy? does anyone know who is he/she?

thanks.
Go on, hate me ! You hate in me what you hate in yourself.
Forever drunk!
Pale Rider
Dawnrazor

Re: Preacher Man video

Post by Pale Rider » Sun Jul 04, 2010 12:09 pm

Answer number two : I think the lovely lady (Clare) was Tony's girlfriend at the time. :)
Mark Anthony Quested
Leviathan

Post by Mark Anthony Quested » Fri Jul 09, 2010 7:15 am

almagast wrote:there are two things i don't understand about that video :

2. the blonde person with a sherif badge : is a girl or a boy? does anyone know who is he/she?

thanks.
(Easy question first!)

2. It is a girl.

1. Carl McCoy's mother was a member of a strict religious sect; "one that believed in frigtening children!" according to Carl! So as a child, Carl had all the fire and brimstone told to him by the church elders. Carl became interested in the occult, thanks to some magazines and such like kept by his father in the garage. He also developed an interest in The Nephilim after reading about the topic in a Biblical dictionary. Young Carl started asking awkward questions of the church elders! LOL!!! I think the church was probably quite into talking about the end times and such like.

The Preacher Man is an extreme religious zealot and was presumably inspired by Carl's religious upbringing, which he later rebelled against. ^

Carl is a huge fan of the film "Once a upon a time in the west", so that in part inpsires the western look.

Not sure about the post-nuclear apocalypse theme. Although it was made when the Cold War had not yet fizzled out, so the Cold War could have been an inspiration. Plus Carl grew up during the Cold War. Maybe the threat of nuclear attack and Carl's hated religious upbringing had a profound effect on him, which inspired him to write Preacher Man? Similarly, the 1986 Chenobyl disaster took place the year preceding the release of Preacher Man; this disaster may have also been an inspiration.
Last edited by Mark Anthony Quested on Wed Jul 14, 2010 8:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
Yours, aye!

Mark Anthony Quested
Facebook - http://www.facebook.com/markanthonyquested
Twitter - Mark Anthony Quested @MAQuested
"He posts, in confusion!"
almagast
Moonchild

Post by almagast » Fri Jul 09, 2010 9:30 am

thanks for the answers Mark Anthony Quested :)
Forever drunk!
markandre13
Leviathan

Post by markandre13 » Tue Jul 13, 2010 7:48 pm

The Story. Well, I'm not very fluent with English, but here it is:

After WW4 there are those parts of the world controlled by the dictatorial government and those who hide out in the radiation zone. One day a military research team, who tests new drugs on involuntarily guinea pigs in the radiation zone, makes a stop in an old wild west village.

Most of the research team personnel are cyborgs but nevertheless they have a party with music and some dancing, while their victims are dying in another room. Suddenly a guy in a white t-shirt staggers onto the dance floor and tries to tell a woman, dressed in white latex and with a black cross on her face mask, something about the wash tag of her shirt sticking out.

"I'm not here to look good! I'm here to descend into ecstasy!" she hisses and then rams a long thin needle, which has suddenly emerged from the tip of her finger, right through his skull. The white t-shirt guy drops dead on a nearby table and the woman looks terror stricken at the blood covered needle on her finger:

"What the hell is that?"

"Blood" a nearby man answers.

"Blood? You mean, he's a meat puppet? Disgusting!"

She wipes the needle clean on the corpse, which then retreats back into her finger. But suddenly the white t-shirt guy sits up. he smiles:

"Thank you. For killing the brain of that idiot. Just what the doctor ordered. You are a doctor, ain't you? You've made him my door back into the world. At last. Now there's work to do. Lots of work!"

And with these words he stumbles out of the house, onto the street and into the darkness and the fog.

The next day, the military faces a situation: the white t-shirt guy or whatever is now in control of his body, is wearing a hat, a long coat, sunglasses, an old book and a metal-glove and (and this is the real issue here) is preaching to some of the refugees in a barn and thereby transforming them into a raging mob against the military and the government.

A military woman steps onto the street and addresses the crowd:

"Either you make 'em stop that nonsense or we start shooting one of you every minute."

"You can't do that!" someone yells.

"I show you what we can do."

And with that the first of the refugees is shoot. A few deaths later, a blonde, attempting to safe the life of her old, sick father, gives in. The military woman throws something to her. It's an old sheriff's badge.

"You're working for the government now bitch. Who would have thought that!"

And the rest of the story can be seen in the 'Preacher Man' and 'Blue Water' vids.

Some of you may have seen an earlier incarnation of 'the white t-shirt guy' at the Amphi '09 where he interrupted Carl during the Moonchild performance, begging him for help for what will happen to him in a later life. And Carl hesitated a moment and then gave him an advice: "Piss off!"
But some guys just don't honour good advices.
"It's probably better to have him inside the tent pissing out, than outside the tent pissing in." -- Lyndon B. Johnson
oldnephilim
Nephilim

Post by oldnephilim » Tue Jul 13, 2010 8:04 pm

*notworthy* *notworthy* *notworthy* ... next time we meet, you offer me some of the drugs you usually take, aye? :wink:
“The Nephilim were on the earth in those days, and also afterward, when the sons of God came in to the daughters of man and they bore children to them. These were the mighty men who were of old, the men of renown.”
caescarna
Moonchild

Post by caescarna » Tue Jul 13, 2010 8:48 pm

Moreover, I'd love to know what Blue Water was supposed to be about?
[Obviously after the continuity from Preacher Man which is kinda self-explanatory.]

Now, is it me, or my memory, or did I really see a man apparantly "crucified" across the front of Nod's kit at one point?

Caes.
gingerpazuzu
Nephilim

Post by gingerpazuzu » Tue Jul 13, 2010 9:00 pm

markandre13- *notworthy* *notworthy* *notworthy* fcuking hilarious :D :D
markandre13
Leviathan

Post by markandre13 » Tue Jul 13, 2010 9:28 pm

oldnephilim wrote:*notworthy* *notworthy* *notworthy* ... next time we meet, you offer me some of the drugs you usually take, aye? :wink:
Amphi '09, Saturday: After seeing some of the more expensive Cybergoth outfits I thought, damn, someone stick 'em into a SF movie right as they are.
Then there were those Laibach fans with contact lenses, who looked like zombie soldiers and I thought, damn, someone stick 'em...
Then there were the Nephilim. And the fog came and memories of dust.
And a few minutes after midnight I sat alone and happy in my quiet hotel room, watching my brain spitting out the 2nd half of the story above.

The 1st half came a few month later in the K17 disco in Berlin, after a guy in a white t-shirt was interrupting me moshing to some Nu-metal, trying to tell me something. Later I found the white wash tag sticking out of my Nephi-shirt.

So the drug is obviously following the Nephilim. :D
And I will of course offer you some it.
That was cheap!
gingerpazuzu wrote:markandre13- *notworthy* *notworthy* *notworthy* fcuking hilarious :D :D
Wow. You guys actually read the longer postings. I am usually too tired for that... :oops:

Thnx!
caescarna wrote:Moreover, I'd love to know what Blue Water was supposed to be about?
Blue water is about looking cool in long coats on the top of a waterfall. Have to think 'bout the rest. :wink:
"It's probably better to have him inside the tent pissing out, than outside the tent pissing in." -- Lyndon B. Johnson
Ngie
Leviathan

Post by Ngie » Tue Jul 13, 2010 9:33 pm

Yes, nice reading from you markandre13. More on your myspace I guess. 8)
Mark Anthony Quested
Leviathan

Post by Mark Anthony Quested » Wed Jul 14, 2010 8:14 am

almagast wrote:thanks for the answers Mark Anthony Quested :)
And another thing!...

In 1986, the Chenoybal (excuse poor spelling) disaster happened. So that may too have been an inspiration.

And Carl is a huge fan of the film "Once upon a time in the West", hence the western clothes.
Yours, aye!

Mark Anthony Quested
markandre13
Leviathan

Post by markandre13 » Wed Jul 14, 2010 9:07 am

Mark Anthony Quested wrote:Carl is a huge fan of the film "Once upon a time in the West", hence the western clothes.
No Sir! He's a huge fan of 'practical clothing', hence the western clothes! :D
Mark Anthony Quested
Leviathan

Post by Mark Anthony Quested » Sun Jul 18, 2010 11:10 pm

markandre13 wrote:
Mark Anthony Quested wrote:Carl is a huge fan of the film "Once upon a time in the West", hence the western clothes.
No Sir! He's a huge fan of 'practical clothing', hence the western clothes! :D
Aye, says I; doffing my wide brimmed hat. :mrgreen:
Yours, aye!

Mark Anthony Quested
almagast
Moonchild

Post by almagast » Mon Jul 19, 2010 6:09 am

thanks for the answer Markandre ( lol, at least one forum member who doesn't hate me )
Forever drunk!
markandre13
Leviathan

Post by markandre13 » Mon Jul 19, 2010 3:11 pm

almagast wrote:thanks for the answer Markandre ( lol, at least one forum member who doesn't hate me )
I'm a stupid swine, so I grant other people lots of credit in the hope that they'll do likewise. *smoking*
almagast
Moonchild

Post by almagast » Mon Jul 19, 2010 4:29 pm

markandre13 wrote:
almagast wrote:thanks for the answer Markandre ( lol, at least one forum member who doesn't hate me )
I'm a stupid swine, so I grant other people lots of credit in the hope that they'll do likewise. *smoking*

No you're not. I'm the only stupid swine on this forum :lol: , don't take that from me please :P
Forever drunk!
markandre13
Leviathan

Post by markandre13 » Mon Jul 19, 2010 11:06 pm

almagast wrote:
markandre13 wrote:I'm a stupid swine, so I grant other people lots of credit in the hope that they'll do likewise. *smoking*
No you're not. I'm the only stupid swine on this forum :lol: , don't take that from me please :P
If I say it myself then it won't make much sense for others to say it. :wink:
Mark Anthony Quested
Leviathan

Post by Mark Anthony Quested » Wed Aug 18, 2010 9:42 pm

Mark Anthony Quested wrote:
almagast wrote:there are two things i don't understand about that video :

thanks.
(Easy question first!)

2. It is a girl.

1. Carl McCoy's mother was a member of a strict religious sect; "one that believed in frigtening children!" according to Carl! So as a child, Carl had all the fire and brimstone told to him by the church elders. Carl became interested in the occult, thanks to some magazines and such like kept by his father in the garage. He also developed an interest in The Nephilim after reading about the topic in a Biblical dictionary. Young Carl started asking awkward questions of the church elders! LOL!!! I think the church was probably quite into talking about the end times and such like.

The Preacher Man is an extreme religious zealot and was presumably inspired by Carl's religious upbringing, which he later rebelled against. ^

Carl is a huge fan of the film "Once a upon a time in the west", so that in part inpsires the western look.

Not sure about the post-nuclear apocalypse theme. Although it was made when the Cold War had not yet fizzled out, so the Cold War could have been an inspiration. Plus Carl grew up during the Cold War. Maybe the threat of nuclear attack and Carl's hated religious upbringing had a profound effect on him, which inspired him to write Preacher Man? Similarly, the 1986 Chenobyl disaster took place the year preceding the release of Preacher Man; this disaster may have also been an inspiration.
Have a little read of this!...

*notworthy* *cthulhu* http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Exclusive_Brethren *cthulhu* *notworthy*

...sounds familiar?

The Exclusive Brethren are an extreme offshoot of the Plymouth Brethren. Aleister Crowley and John George Haig were also members of the Plymouth Brethren as children. And I would be prepared to bet money on Carl McCoy also being a member as a child, thanks to his extremely religious mother who was a member of a Christian sect that believed in frightening people!

"The end believers, Chord of Souls!"
Yours, aye!

Mark Anthony Quested
markandre13
Leviathan

Post by markandre13 » Thu Aug 19, 2010 12:12 pm

I've heard/read the story that his mother was a member of Jehovah's Witnesses...

Anyway, I just had an inspiration for a cool book title:
______________________________________________________________________________________
From Plymouth Brethren to Stevenage Heathen
____The unabridged story of modern hard rock shamanism.
______Every word is true. That is to say, it's true that every word in it is a word.
______________________________________________________________________________________
gingerpazuzu
Nephilim

Post by gingerpazuzu » Thu Aug 19, 2010 12:22 pm

*notworthy* *notworthy* *notworthy* :D :D :D