The Watchman lyrics: Catullus not Ktulhu

Discuss about the albums and videos the band has released over the years. The band we are talking about here is of course F.O.T.N. and not side-projects, similar bands etc. Please use other sections if you want to talk about the weather.

Moderators: Morphic, Blue Angel, The Fallen Ones

Ngie
Leviathan

The Watchman lyrics: Catullus not Ktulhu

Post by Ngie » Tue Feb 09, 2010 4:41 pm

I hear Catullus not Ktulhu in The Watchman, a song made on the hendecassyllabic mode. 8)

"There are those long, elaborate, beautifully balanced sentences, with their trailing clusters of dependent clauses, frequently so arranged as to reproduce the characteristic hendecasyllabic rhythms of Italian poetry." T. Gwynfor Griffith; Obituary: Professor G. H. McWilliam; Independent (London, UK); Jan 11, 2001.
NorthernNephilim
Nephilim

Re: The Watchman lyrics: Catullus not Ktulhu

Post by NorthernNephilim » Sat Feb 13, 2010 6:04 pm

Just a different type of speaking i thing (Ktulhu = Kathulu), on the lyrics is written Kthulu (like printed in the Nephilim album sleeves)
Ngie
Leviathan

Post by Ngie » Sat Feb 13, 2010 10:46 pm

:arrow: Yep!
Ngie
Leviathan

Post by Ngie » Sat Feb 13, 2010 11:22 pm

here' s a link which explains the link between Catullus the poet of hendecasyllabic meter and The Watchman the song:

http://books.google.fr/books?id=mqklRxQ ... ic&f=false
In every dreamhome a heartache is a fourteneer I read (8+6= 14 meters).
markandre13
Leviathan

Post by markandre13 » Sun Feb 14, 2010 4:13 pm

Ngie wrote:here' s a link which explains the link between Catullus the poet of hendecasyllabic meter and The Watchman the song:
Argh! Links doesn't work in my country. Damn Gthooglu!
But as H.P. Lovecraft states, it is impossible for a human to pronounce Cthulhu's name without inflicting substantial damage to one's throat.
Harhar! That's how Carl got his voice!
Friend of mine used to say "Kudeldu", which might be as far from the real word as any other.
And really, we don't want to speak thy old god's name aloud anyway. Might wake him up.
And in that event only mathematicians and string theorists might stay sane... uuh, I mean, not growing more insane than they usually are anyway.
"It's probably better to have him inside the tent pissing out, than outside the tent pissing in." -- Lyndon B. Johnson
Ngie
Leviathan

Post by Ngie » Sun Feb 14, 2010 11:15 pm

Honestly I don't know anything about Ktulhu, Cadullu neither do I care for Lovecraft and Crowley. I tried to find interest in those stuff since I've known it was of FOTN reference but never got caught.
At the risk of being called a heretic I'd say the same boredom for Starwars.
Catulle sounds good and easily hearable..to me at least.
saegeas
Psychonaut

Post by saegeas » Tue Feb 16, 2010 6:04 pm

And what is he saying in this excerpt of Endemondiata?

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=BXZ6F0M2

P.S. If anyone knows of a better free web space to share short excerpts, please add a comment. TeraDepot would be good but they stupidly include square brackets in the created links, which makes them broken in most forums. QDrive used to work for me but will no longer upload for whatever reason.
markandre13
Leviathan

Post by markandre13 » Wed Feb 17, 2010 8:55 am

saegeas wrote:And what is he saying in this excerpt of Endemondiata?
It is definitely not "the kill" as it echos through the net nor "career" as I had thought. Sounds like "And I'm dreaming of Kazil." But one can never be sure. :P

Btw on the "Forever and Ever" bootleg that line doesn't appear at all:
Such a thrill, the way you feel
when the thoughts in my head can't kill
think about it, if looks could kill
"It's probably better to have him inside the tent pissing out, than outside the tent pissing in." -- Lyndon B. Johnson
baba
Watcher

Post by baba » Wed Feb 17, 2010 11:44 am

It sounds more like 'Kafeel' to my ears.

http://www.meaning-of-names.com/african ... kafeel.asp

"responsible sponser"

Perhaps he was looking for a reliable backer for their shows, or it was based on their managerial woes at the time? :P
Ngie
Leviathan

Post by Ngie » Wed Feb 17, 2010 10:21 pm

markandre13 wrote:
saegeas wrote:And what is he saying in this excerpt of Endemondiata?
It is definitely not "the kill" as it echos through the net nor "career" as I had thought. Sounds like "And I'm dreaming of Kazil." But one can never be sure. :P

Btw on the "Forever and Ever" bootleg that line doesn't appear at all:
Such a thrill, the way you feel
when the thoughts in my head can't kill
think about it, if looks could kill
Wouldn't Kazil be a contraction of Karnaval in Brazil? :P
markandre13
Leviathan

Post by markandre13 » Thu Feb 18, 2010 12:03 am

Or it might be "Cthylla", the Secret Daughter of Cthulhu (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cthylla).

And since we've dwelled so deep on the Cthulhu myth in all seriousness, some might want a Great Cthulhu at home:
http://dreamlandtoyworks.com/my_little_cthulhu.html

But I have to confess, that I'm more into the following rendition from the "Call of Cthulhu" RPG which was my first encounter with the myth:
Selena
Watcher

Post by Selena » Sun Mar 07, 2010 10:36 pm

markandre13 wrote: Friend of mine used to say "Kudeldu", which might be as far from the real word as any other.
Kudeldu :shock: ... was he serious when he said that??

I already heard somebody pronounce it like "Coo-too-loo" (with each syllable at the same length).
Ngie
Leviathan

Post by Ngie » Sat Apr 17, 2010 12:44 pm

The world topicality adds a new one : Katla.

http://news.icm.ac.uk/business/bigger-i ... rupt/6281/

Anyway, only the vowels change, the consonants remaining 'k' 't' 'l'.
markandre13
Leviathan

Post by markandre13 » Sat Apr 17, 2010 6:25 pm

Selena wrote:
markandre13 wrote: Friend of mine used to say "Kudeldu", which might be as far from the real word as any other.
Kudeldu :shock: ... was he serious when he said that??
Of course. This way the name resembles the anarchic sailor Kuddel Daddeldu, famous for his drunken antics and disdain for authority.
Ngie
Leviathan

Post by Ngie » Sun Apr 18, 2010 10:12 am

I like the word "anarchic sailor". From Joachim Ringelnatz I bounced in Sailor Moon worlds, a more colourful reality. 8)
ThomasB
Nephilim

Post by ThomasB » Sun Apr 18, 2010 8:26 pm

Actually yesterday, a friend of mine gave me a very beautiful Cthululululululululu statue, of which I'm already enamoured.
Fate ? Synchronicity ? Destiny's nose hair ?
(As Robert Rankin would put it)
Fundraiser. You know, it's like Hellraiser, but without the Cenobites, the blood and all that.
IN NOMINE NEMO !
Sumerian Memory
Moonchild

Post by Sumerian Memory » Wed Feb 04, 2015 10:31 am

Forever Remain the correct spelling | His Immortal Magnificent Legacy Carries On | "That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even death may die." R.I.P H. P. Lovecraft Forever Shining Beyond Death In The Eternal Aeons' Seas Of Infinity... I'll drink to H. P. Lovecraft and his very elusive, misunderstood, sleeping (except for his 2+ minutes Bloop break of underwater wind in '96) ... From the sunken and still hidden underwater City of R'lyeh... Howard's Über Old God Father CTHULHU!!! *cthulhu*
1619257_801193056593864_600428844210750723_n.jpg
1619257_801193056593864_600428844210750723_n.jpg (22.25 KiB) Viewed 27612 times
...Forever Lost...\\N//...Forever Remain...
Ngie
Leviathan

Post by Ngie » Sat Feb 28, 2015 4:09 pm

markandre13 wrote:
Ngie wrote:here' s a link which explains the link between Catullus the poet of hendecasyllabic meter and The Watchman the song:
Argh! Links doesn't work in my country. Damn Gthooglu!
[/size]
I had ommitted to answer this. The link leads to an excerpt of the book :
An Exaltation of Forms -
Contemporary Poets Celebrate the Diversity of Their Art
Annie Finch and Kathrine Varnes, Editors
Fifty poets examine the architecture of poems—from the haiku to rap music—and trace their history
- See more at: http://www.press.umich.edu/11681/exalta ... l8cS7.dpuf
http://www.press.umich.edu/11681/exaltation_of_forms

and here's a cool tutorial added last year on hendecasyllabic meter for students of Latin :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QnCMs0O ... freload=10
Sumerian Memory
Moonchild

Post by Sumerian Memory » Sun Mar 08, 2015 5:07 pm

Thank-you very much Ngie! Very interesting!! Forever Remain!! \\N//

However, the following is about Sumerian (and others) folklore, history, prayers, invocations and revelations;
cross-referenced with Lovecraft and his Cthulhu Mythos followed on from Carl McCoy in writing
and creating the Fields Of The Nephilim classics Psychonaut and The Watchman.

For your enlightenment:

Fields Of The Nephilim - Watchman: Kthulhu.

Fields Of The Nephilim - Psychonaut: Cthulhus

Lyrics for The Watchman and Psychonaut, as checked on numerous sites,
The Watchman Official Lyrics Manuscript; yet mostly heard (from what is actually sung)
from The Nephilim Re-mastered Vinyl Album and Psychonaut (Lib IIII) CDS.
Lyrics vary per studio/alternate/live versions.

Fields Of The Nephilim - The Watchman (The Nephilim Re-mastered 12" X2-Gatefold Vinyl Album on SITU22L)
(The official The Watchman parchment given as limited edition for members almost matches up to the sung lyrics)
that I have attached. Lyrics vary per studio/alternate/live versions. Notice the first time that Kthulhu is written,
the first 'h' is upside down and looks more like a 'q' ...
However the rest of the letters are quite reasonably seen in both references on the parchment;
and very much heard in the songs (both studio and live versions).
I perceive it was the pre-mastered draft before the final official lyrics on some mastered versions that Carl McCoy -
ever the mystery man - does not generally (unless we're really 'lucky') publish/put on studio release
parchments/inlays/pamphlets (on the whole) to make us figure it out for ourselves...

2. The Watchman
Innocence is hurting...
A world speaks out of tune...
Promise calls, promise falls,
What are we to do, with a clouded view...
You follow me through...
Sadly the tides are changing...
My world slips out of you...
Your body falls, my body calls,
What are we to do, with a clouded view...
You follow me through...
(Follow me through)
My life's turning pages, I see a promised day...
Watchmen never age here...
They just sleep in vain...
Drowning people stare here...
They don't care to call...
So I rebury the pages –
Kthulhu calls ~~~->
You'll see, you'll see her...
When she starts to form...
When she starts to call...
In the name of Jesus Christ...
Won't you fear my name...
I've been around since Moses –
But your preacher never came...
When she starts to form...
When she starts to call...
(Follow me)
You sleep, you sleep...
You sleep, you sleep...
(Follow me)
You sleep, you sleep...
It's just another day...
Remember, I'am calling for you...
Just another day, remember she's calling for you...
Just another day...
Kthulhu... I'am calling for you...
Just another day...
An empire has fallen from view...
You sleep, you sleep...
(Follow me)
You sleep, you sleep...
You can not follow me...

Fields Of The Nephilim - Psychonaut Lib IV (IIII on CDS SIT57CD) Lyrics vary per studio/alternate/live versions.
I perceive he is going for a more traditional spelling, as done on Last Exit From The Lost;
rather than his also quite usual 'K' slant on names, i.e. Kthulhu on The Watchman and Kuthru on Dawnrazor!

1. Psychonaut
Pray now... for how long...
We're falling from ecstasy...
Like changelings...
Freedom returned from new souls...
Here or after...
Well enrapture me... and I'll change!
I stand alone... inside you...
I stand alone... the skies bruised...
Let it spill... from my mouth...
Sweet nectar... for a thousand young!
Are you ready for this?
Here I come!
Pray now... for hours...
Pray for me...
Who could you love?
We're fallen from ecstasy...
And you deserve us - Leviathan...
You deserve us - Leviathan...
What are children now - but curses come...
And glory days - our kingdom come...
You look older!
(Time stalls)
Freedom sold us...
(Sold us)
(Sold us)
(Sold us)
(Sold us)
Pray now...
(For how long)
Pray for me...
(Who could you love)
We're fallen from ecstasy...
And you deserve us - Leviathan...
You deserve us - Leviathan...
Pray for me...
Let us gather...
Hallucinations from our private minds...
{ahhhhhhhhh}
Let us witness...
The reincarnation of The Sun...
{ahhhhhhhhh}
{ahhhhhhhhh}
(Could you love, Cthulhus)
(Leviathan)
{ahhhhhhhhh}
(Could I love Ereshkiga, Inanna)
(Leviathan)
{ahhhhhhhhh}
May the mountains shake you to the core...
{ahhhhhhhhh}
Xi Dingir Kia Kanpa...
Xi Dingir Kia Kanpa...
Xi Dingir Kia Kanpa...
Xi Dingir Anna Kanpa...
Xi Dingir Kia Kanpa...
Xi Dingir Anna Kanpa...
Xi Dingir Kia Kanpa...
Xi Dingir Anna Kanpa...
{Envea rechne}
Ad lib...
Xi Dingir Anna Kanpa...
Xi Dingir Kia Kanpa...
Xi Dingir Anna Kanpa...
Xi Dingir Kia Kanpa...
Pray for Leviathan - Leviathan...
Pray for Leviathan - Leviathan...
I pray for Leviathan - Leviathan...
I pray for Leviathan - I hear them come...
I pray now...
I pray now...
Yes I do...
Pray for me...
Pray for me...
And you deserve us...
And you deserve us...

From Paula O'Keefe's LEVIATHAN CHAINED:
The Legend of the Nephilim and the Cthulhu Mythos

"The Nephilim was something I'd known about since I was really young. If you're familiar with the first book of the Bible, Genesis, you see the sons of God seduce some of the women on the earth and they produce a race of people known as the Nephilim. According to legend they taught man about war, astrology, and magic. I'm fascinated by the idea." --- Carl McCoy in Cornerstone Magazine, 1989 ***

"Nor is it to be thought that man is either the oldest or the last of earth's masters, or that the common bulk of life and substance walks alone." - The Necronomicon ,,,

"There were giants in the earth in those days, and afterward, when the sons of God went into the daughters of men, and they bore children to them. They were the heroes that were of old, men of renown." -- Genesis 6:4 !!!

"We convoke the Nephilim and they come to us, strangers with the eyes of men..." -- The Coming of the Watchers ...

Throughout the world's mythologies, certain themes return again and again, leitmotifs of the struggle faced by humanity. The recurrence of mythological themes often bolster the idea that as humans, we all draw from the same well of inspiration; perhaps even from what Jung termed the collective unconscious.
One of those themes is the love between a supernatural being and a human. Perhaps present in every mythology known to man, the story returns again and again. In Welsh lore, the human king Pwyll falls in love with Rhiannon, the Queen of Faery, and even agrees to spend time in the otherworld before she agrees to come live with him in the human world. In Greek mythology, the moon goddess Selene looks down upon the shepherd Endymion, and asks that he be put into an eternal sleep so that she might always come upon him at night and love him. Also from the Greek mythology, it was Hades' love for Persephone that brought about the winter on Earth -- the time when he kept her in the underworld for himself.
The Biblical Apocrypha tells a story much like these, although on a grander scale. Two hundred angels, known as the 'îrin,' which translates to "those who watch" or simply "Watchers," look down upon earth and see the beautiful women there. They descend to earth and take the women as wives, but as they begin to procreate, the women give birth to a race of giants who bring about the near-total destruction of the planet. The angels in heaven plea with God to stop the madness, and God banishes the descendent angels to a prison, from which they will not released until the armageddon. The angels are called the Watchers, and their children -- the giants -- are called the Nephilim.
This should prove a revelation to those already aware of Carl's fascination with the lore and mythology of archaic Sumer, oldest of human lands. Even a little close scrutiny will reveal the wealth of gems available in this tome for the Nephilim acolyte. The chant which is central to Psychonaut, for example, and calligraphed on the poster and CD - "zi dingir kia kanpa, zi dingir anna kanpa" is revealed here as pure Sumerian, translatable as "spirit, god of the earth, remember/spirit, god of the sky, remember".
The line "may the mountain shake you to the core," appearing earlier in Psychonaut, is likewise found here within The Conjuration of the
Mountains of MASHU, as is the derivation of the term "Sumerland" (apparently equivalent to "the Magan", the land where the souls of the dead sleep between incarnations, preparing for rebirth); the quote "We are the lost ones in the company of bright angels"; and much more. And the volume's extensive introduction is extremely valuable and perceptive.

Part V: The Maelstrom (wherein we see our Holy Guardian Angels as Dragons of Chaos yet unchanged) [excerpts]

So now we magnify the fractal another step and go deeper...

"The Nephilim are the children of angels, wandering lost souls. Ceremonial and Enochian (Dr. Dee again) magic teach that your Holy Guardian Angel is your soul, your True Will, and the IOT links it with Kia, the life-force. Which can be taken to mean that your soul is your spark of the Divine Fire, your bit of god/dess if you like; as angels are the messengers of the Light, your soul/angel self is your direct contact with the Source, part of it, never apart from it. (And the very Seraphim are called "flying fiery serpents"; Chalkydri, the dragon-angels of the Sun, praised be Nakhiel.) To know your True Will is therefore to learn to hear your soul, which will always speak with the original voice (hence is it called "Knowledge and Conversation of the Holy Guardian Angel") older than now-reality's idea of God. The shaman's journey is into self; "psychonaut" means "mind-traveller", "soul-sailor". The conscious and subconscious minds acting as one with the Superconscious, as above so below. Not exactly easy. But listen, this music wants you to reach deep inside and hear that voice speak, realize how ancient you are, that the Nephilim remember you. Every soul may be angelfire but the Nephilim are demigods, disembodied sparks...you could yourself be a Nephil, the child of intercourse between your angel soul and your flesh..."

"So you work your way toward your center, following life to its dragon core. Walk this winding spiral path. Fire and water become allies. The Serpent on the cross is the twist of the helix, the spinal chakras of Kundalini, the World Tree, axis of the world and seat of Yggdrasil. The jewel in the lotus amen...The spiral is the labyrinth, maze of life and death with a pool like a mirror at its center. Marduk kills his mother to become himself, kills the female to prove himself male, kills the monster to prove himself the champion of law and logic, conqueror of chaos - of magic, sex, nature, and all things untamed - which at the same time is a form of sexual initiation, driven into a female body and never quite the same again."

--But he's proven he really is separate from the body he came out of, he thinks. He can go forth independent and whole. So why are we praying for Leviathan all around him unseen?

"Because the Sumerians knew humankind was created not from the flesh of the Elder Gods but from the blood of Kingu, Tiamat's own. And they knew what that meant. We are of the blood of the Other Side, of undying dead-but-dreaming Tiamat, and the Light at Center is Creation's chaotic wildfire. The central wild energy we will find in ourselves whether or not we believe it slain. Walk this winding path and at the center of the twisted DNA labyrinth of yourself you will find your soul, your Holy Guardian Angel, which will be a tongue of dragonflame." *cthulhu*

Cthulhu Calls: "For behold, I have been with you from the beginning." *notworthy*

Make sure of all things, hold fast to what is fine... and make the truth your own. *smoking*

Source: http://www.spookhouse.net/angelynx/nephilim/tiamat.html

References to Ereshkiga and Inanna newly discovered in Psychonaut.
Inanna's Descent: A Sumerian Tale of Injustice (Translation from copy of original text transcription) [excerpt]

From the Great Above, she opened her ear to the Great Below. From the Great Above, the Goddess opened her ear to the Great Below. From the Great Above, Inanna opened her ear to the Great Below. She abandoned her seven holy temples to descend to the underworld. She gathered together the Seven Holy Measures. She took them into her hands. With the Holy Measures in her possession, She prepared herself. She placed the Crown on her head. She arranged the dark locks of hair across her forehead. She tied beads around her neck. Let the double strand of beads fall to her breast. And wrapped the royal robe round her body. She daubed her eyes with ointment. Called 'let him come, let him come!' Bound the Breastplate called 'Come, man, come!' around her chest. Slipped the Gold Ring over her wrist And took the Lapis Measuring Rod and Line in her hand.
Inanna: 'Ninshubur, my support and counsellor, My warrior who fights by my side. I am descending to the Underworld If I do not return, set up a lament for me. Go to see the Great Ones, Enlil, Nanna and Enki. Do not let this holy Priestess of Heaven be put to death in the Underworld. Go to see the Great Gods For surely they will not let me die. Go now, Ninshubur. Do not forget the words I have commanded you.'
Ninshubur: 'Your wish is my command, my lady, I'll do as I am told'.
When Inanna arrived at the outer gates of the underworld She knocked loudly.
Inanna: 'Open the door! I alone would enter!'
Neti, the Chief Gatekeeper of the Kur, asked: 'Who are you? Why has your heart led you on the road of no return?'
Inanna: 'I am Inanna, Queen of Heaven, on my way to the East'. I came... because of my older sister Ereshkigal, Her husband, Gugalanna, the Bull of Heaven has died. I have come to witness the funeral rites. Let it be done'.
The Chief Gatekeeper of the Underworld, entered the palace of Ereshkigal, the Queen of the Underworld, and said: 'My queen, your sister, Inanna, Queen of Heaven, waits outside the palace gates. She has gathered together the Seven Sacred Measures; She waits out there'.

The Descent of Inanna is a symbolic journey of the self to completion.
Should Inanna fall to Hell? Should Ereshkigal rise to Heaven?
It is a teaching that there are consequences for one’s actions...
Of course all of this are just some of the main parts.
There is always much, much more...

Ok, let's go deeper with more links...

Very extensive preview of Stories from the Marshall Islands in Google Books link:
http://books.google.co.uk/books?id=yUSHbrkbYSwC&pg

The men, women and children in the tribal legends of Ellep were giants.
Also the reference from the book:
Stories from the Marshall Islands: Bwebwenato Jān Aelōn̄ Kein: Translated and transcribed by By Jack A. Tobin:

"Jebat Island near Aelōn̄]ap]ap Atoll was taken from Ellep long, long ago. The large pool area on Ellep is the same shape or outline (Jekjek) as Jebat. The pool is salty and bottomless and is probably connected to the ocean. The meaning of the name of Ellep is el lep, which means the nest (place) of eggs. El means 'nest' [and] lep means 'egg'."

... Very much ties in with the lines of Psychonaut:

"Let it spill... from my mouth...
Sweet nectar... for a thousand young..."

... And:

"What are children now - but curses come...
And glory days - our kingdom come..."

Whereas:

"Freedom returned from new souls...
Here or after...
Well enrapture me... and I'll change!
..."

... and:
"Let us witness...
The reincarnation of The Sun..."

... Echoes what I wrote earlier:

The Descent of Inanna is a symbolic journey of the self to completion.
There is always much, much more...
Attachments
Fields Of The Nephilim - Psychonaut - (Lib IV Ellep ref) - [CDS 1989].jpg
Fields Of The Nephilim - Psychonaut - (Lib IV Ellep ref) - [CDS 1989].jpg (244.6 KiB) Viewed 27374 times
THE WATCHMAN - FIELDS OF THE NEPHILIM PARCHMENT DAWNRAZOR,,, BROTHERS,,, S.E.EDITION N.jpg
THE WATCHMAN - FIELDS OF THE NEPHILIM PARCHMENT DAWNRAZOR,,, BROTHERS,,, S.E.EDITION N.jpg (107.1 KiB) Viewed 27375 times
...Forever Lost...\\N//...Forever Remain...