Psychonaut vs STTL

Discuss about the albums and videos the band has released over the years. The band we are talking about here is of course F.O.T.N. and not side-projects, similar bands etc. Please use other sections if you want to talk about the weather.

Moderators: Morphic, Blue Angel, The Fallen Ones

Bau
Nephilim

Psychonaut vs STTL

Post by Bau » Mon Feb 16, 2009 6:37 pm

there has been some debate on the similarities between the bass lines in these 2 songs

well I gave them a listen and here are my conclusions

the bass parts are VERY similar in sound. All
most identical but a few little differences.

For one they are in different keys.
Psychonaut is in the key of E and STTL is 2 steps lower in D.

Not that a track can't easily be transposed - lowered in pitch.

They are certainly the same rhythm and tempo, no doubt and have a very similar tone.

But the notes are slightly different with STTL mostly on
a D note than alternating up to an F for the most part while Psychonaut alternates between several notes up and then down a few steps.

Its a subtle difference. I can certainly see why some have mistake them for the same part. I had to give a close listen to discern the note variations.

another theory has been that the guitars are from subsanity, this seems very far from the case, they don't sound similar at all IMO
squishy
Nephilim

Post by squishy » Mon Feb 16, 2009 6:53 pm

Thanks, Bau :)
remember what the doorknob said
Bau
Nephilim

Post by Bau » Mon Feb 16, 2009 7:35 pm

no prob, actually I made a mistake as far as the keys, the guitar I used to check that with was tuned down a whole step , oops :oops: I was thinking in terms of standard tuning.

the keys are C for STTL and D for psychonaut, respectively