The Nephilim 20 years on

Discuss about the albums and videos the band has released over the years. The band we are talking about here is of course F.O.T.N. and not side-projects, similar bands etc. Please use other sections if you want to talk about the weather.

Moderators: Morphic, Blue Angel, The Fallen Ones

The Nephilim album is....

The greatest album ever made
38%
The second greatest album ever made after Dawnrazor
No votes
The second greatest album ever made after Elisium
35%
Not a patch on Zoon
9%
A load of goth cobblers, I still prefer Kylie and Jason
4%
Oh god not another poll
15%

Total votes: 55
wild bill buttock
Nephilim

The Nephilim 20 years on

Post by wild bill buttock » Wed Nov 05, 2008 8:46 pm

So come on then let's hear your thoughts.

At the beginning of 1988 I looked on Fields of the nephilim as just another goth band. Dawnrazor was a good album but lacked that certain something that made First & last & always, Love, God's own medicine and Floodland classics.
Then came Blue water, Moonchild and, my first FOTN live expierience, on The Mark of the watchman tour. I was really hopeful that the new album would live up to the singles and the band's live performance.
I bought The Nephilim the week it came out. I didn't read music papers so I had no preconceptions as to what it would be like. From the winding build up of Endemoniada I was hooked. The album flowed from one track into the next with nothing out of place. The sheer intensity was unrelenting even when the pace of the first side was replaced with the slower opener of side two, you still expected Celebrate to come crashing out instead it flowed into Love under will before bursting out then easing back down for Last exit... then cranking it all up into the breathtaking climax.
The more I listened the more I found.The album's depths still surprise me today. It very soon became my favourite album, everything I'd listened to previously had been merely a prelude....This was the real thing.
I never thought anyone could ever top The Nephilim but Fields of the Nephilim did. A year later with Psychonaut then two years later they gave us Elisium. To be able to even follow up The Nephilim would have been remarkable, but to be able to better it was unbelievable. Probably why, in my opinion, the Fields of the Nephilim line up of McCoy, Yates, Wright, Wright and Pettit remain the greatest band to have ever graced this world. *notworthy* *notworthy* *notworthy* *notworthy* *notworthy* *notworthy* *notworthy* *notworthy* *notworthy* *notworthy* *notworthy* *notworthy* *notworthy*
Lord Mureth
Nephilim

Post by Lord Mureth » Wed Nov 05, 2008 9:06 pm

There wasn't an option for 'the equal bestest album, ever, along with Lateralus' so I've plumped for the First option. It's the perfect album; and waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay better than the far less focussed Elizium.

About time we had another jolly poll, anyways! *notworthy* :lol:
gilgamesh
Watcher

Post by gilgamesh » Wed Nov 05, 2008 10:08 pm

Love Bill's synopsis, I voted it after Elizium only because I think Elizium as an album works to perfection with the opening quartet a sublime 15 minutes and the closing trio a brilliant and evocative emotional ride. Individually I think Nephilim has better songs, last exit, endemoniada, moonchild and love under will being obvious examples but I think its just edged out when looked at as a whole. Can't believe its 20 years, god it makes me feel old..............in 1988 I thought anything from '68 was ancient history.
Lord Mureth
Nephilim

Post by Lord Mureth » Wed Nov 05, 2008 10:20 pm

Know what you mean, Gilgamesh; back then I thought 1968 was only just after the asteroid at the end of the Cretacious... :roll: :shock:
gingerpazuzu
Nephilim

Post by gingerpazuzu » Wed Nov 05, 2008 10:28 pm

I voted for Zoon....I think The Nephilim is the second greatest album,didn't think that I could be topped but then came Zoon...for me it has everything the darkness,aggression,both musically + lyrically it showed a new level depth in Carl's work....its the album I listen to the most + have the strongest feelings about
moomaaman
Dawnrazor

Post by moomaaman » Wed Nov 05, 2008 11:55 pm

bill my main man I'm wid ya all the way, though I wish you hadn't mentioned zoon..... here we go again :wink:
cover his eyes, so that he not over-analyse
gingerpazuzu
Nephilim

Post by gingerpazuzu » Thu Nov 06, 2008 12:13 am

moomaaman wrote:bill my main man I'm wid ya all the way, though I wish you hadn't mentioned zoon..... here we go again :wink:
sorry but its my favourite album :wink:
Blue Angel
Nephilim

Post by Blue Angel » Thu Nov 06, 2008 10:23 am

It's a tough call between Elizium & The Nephilim. Everyone who loves music has defining moments in their life when a band or album takes hold. Some people have more than one.

The release of The Nephilim was huge for me. I'd just started my second year at college. I was living out of halls and I heard Endemoniada in HMV (itself a strange event!) Shaped my college years that album and it still gives me the horn today!

Bill - good call!

*notworthy* *notworthy* *notworthy* *notworthy*

Zoon = jism
Fields of the Neffalump

Jism!
Lord Mureth
Nephilim

Post by Lord Mureth » Thu Nov 06, 2008 10:44 am

I lived the Nephilim that year. Okay, I only managed a paltry 8 gigs during the 'brown album' era, but that was a lot by my standards - cos the material they were coming out with then deserved it. Still reckon that the 'Mark of the Watchman' tour was the best they've done.

Oh, and it's nice to have a pleasant, reasoned Zoon debate again. :wink: :lol: It fecking rocks, and those that don't like it are reallly just afraid to admit that the secretely do love it now; on account of the fact that they'd all look rather silly - having blathered on for so long about how much they hate it. Come out of the zoon-closet... :wink:
Blue Angel
Nephilim

Post by Blue Angel » Thu Nov 06, 2008 11:46 am

Lord Mureth wrote:I lived the Nephilim that year. Okay, I only managed a paltry 8 gigs during the 'brown album' era, but that was a lot by my standards - cos the material they were coming out with then deserved it. Still reckon that the 'Mark of the Watchman' tour was the best they've done.

Oh, and it's nice to have a pleasant, reasoned Zoon debate again. :wink: :lol: It fecking rocks, and those that don't like it are reallly just afraid to admit that the secretely do love it now; on account of the fact that they'd all look rather silly - having blathered on for so long about how much they hate it. Come out of the zoon-closet... :wink:
I'm not buying it Buzzard...

I bought it once and that was enough...

Boom... and indeed boom!
Fields of the Neffalump

Jism!
gingerpazuzu
Nephilim

Post by gingerpazuzu » Thu Nov 06, 2008 12:20 pm

Lord Mureth wrote:I lived the Nephilim that year. Okay, I only managed a paltry 8 gigs during the 'brown album' era, but that was a lot by my standards - cos the material they were coming out with then deserved it. Still reckon that the 'Mark of the Watchman' tour was the best they've done.

*notworthy* *notworthy* *notworthy* ..couldnt agree more :D
Mont Ventoux
Psychonaut

Post by Mont Ventoux » Thu Nov 06, 2008 1:12 pm

The second greatest album after Elizium.
I consider it as a perfect step between Dawnrazor and Elizium, as a progressing work, as a middle space.
"The Nephilim" is the second stage of the journey, there's a logic sense following the chronological order of the whole discography, just starting from "Burning the Fields".
weebleswobble
BayWatcher

Post by weebleswobble » Thu Nov 06, 2008 1:47 pm

Blue Angel wrote:It's a tough call between Elizium & The Nephilim. Everyone who loves music has defining moments in their life when a band or album takes hold. Some people have more than one.

The release of The Nephilim was huge for me. I'd just started my second year at college, discovered man-love and the joy of gerbils...
*whistle*
The first bit sounds like Bruce Wayne, and the second bit sounds like Batman.
Blue Angel
Nephilim

Post by Blue Angel » Thu Nov 06, 2008 2:22 pm

You've been tinkering again haven't you...?

:lol:
Fields of the Neffalump

Jism!
gingerpazuzu
Nephilim

Post by gingerpazuzu » Thu Nov 06, 2008 3:05 pm

weebleswobble wrote:
Blue Angel wrote:It's a tough call between Elizium & The Nephilim. Everyone who loves music has defining moments in their life when a band or album takes hold. Some people have more than one.

The release of The Nephilim was huge for me. I'd just started my second year at college, discovered man-love and the joy of gerbils...
*whistle*
:lol: :lol: :lol: never thought I'd hear The Nephilim,man-love + joy of gerbils mentioned in the same sentence :shock: :wink:
Blue Angel
Nephilim

Post by Blue Angel » Thu Nov 06, 2008 3:08 pm

gingerpazuzu wrote:
weebleswobble wrote:

*whistle*
:lol: :lol: :lol: never thought I'd hear The Nephilim,man-love + joy of gerbils mentioned in the same sentence :shock: :wink:
He's a little tinker isn't he?

:roll:
Fields of the Neffalump

Jism!
gingerpazuzu
Nephilim

Post by gingerpazuzu » Thu Nov 06, 2008 3:13 pm

reprobate more like ! + one who inspires terror in small furry animals :wink:
wild bill buttock
Nephilim

Post by wild bill buttock » Thu Nov 06, 2008 5:48 pm

moomaaman wrote:bill my main man I'm wid ya all the way, though I wish you hadn't mentioned zoon..... here we go again :wink:
I only mentioned Zoon as a joke. I didn't really think anyone could consider it in the same league, let alone vote for it over The Nephilim, anymore than I thought people would vote for Kylie and Jason *whistle*
No accounting for taste I suppose.
gingerpazuzu
Nephilim

Post by gingerpazuzu » Thu Nov 06, 2008 11:09 pm

well there you go...full of suprises me :!: :wink:
xseawitch
Watcher

Post by xseawitch » Thu Nov 06, 2008 11:40 pm

Nephilim all the way, sounds as good now as it always did :-)