Zoon - Ten Years on

Discuss about the albums and videos the band has released over the years. The band we are talking about here is of course F.O.T.N. and not side-projects, similar bands etc. Please use other sections if you want to talk about the weather.

Moderators: Morphic, Blue Angel, The Fallen Ones

Ten years on - Your opinion on Zoon

Creative low point - it's still bollocks
8%
Nothing special now or then
13%
Hated it then but now it's ok
7%
Hated it then but now it's great
13%
Loved it then - Love it now.
41%
Creative high point
20%

Total votes: 143
Morphic
Dawnrazor

Post by Morphic » Wed Jul 30, 2008 12:04 am

ned the otter wrote:Hi guys,
would you be able to introduce me to the guitar guru on this site, as I am new, don't know many people yet, apart from recognising a few familiar faces from SBE...

I play guitar myself and have quite a collection. Jamming along to Neff stuff is sometimes a bit tricky, as we all know, their guitar work is sometimes delicate and can be intricate as well...

The Zoon album is great to play along to - just de-tune to D....

Hoping you guys can help...

(p.s.- dear Poison Ivy, - I still have the bruise on my shoulder...) :D :D :D
Hey mate!

Well, i've played a couple of Neph tracks live... not great or by any means perfectly... but i can probably help out with a few chord changes / riffs for a few tracks... PM me? I'll see if i can dig out the list of tracks we played...

Take it easy.
And after all this? Nothing. Nothing at all.
Poison Ivy

Post by Poison Ivy » Wed Jul 30, 2008 9:12 am

...and I am just waiting to recieve some boots recorded that short time when ZOON album where to be promoted on tour...I would like to listen more from it than only that few Carl is now playing. Was than some video recorded as well? by any chance?
Waiting is hell *smoking*
BTW: do you think that he will one day come back to NEFILIM project?
gilgamesh
Watcher

Post by gilgamesh » Wed Jul 30, 2008 12:09 pm

I think it unlikely he will return to it. Looks to me like he has settled at he crossover MS type position which allows him freedom to go back to the Trees/preacher man/last exit type stuff but also the heavier metallicissed material of Zoon itself (witness Penetration, Shine, Zoon III and Xodus being played live since May 07) so he gets the best of both worlds.
angry bob
Nephilim

Post by angry bob » Fri Aug 01, 2008 12:57 am

I believe he still can come up with great music, but, i don't believe that he wants to make something groundbreaking, which will leave most of you confused. He is tired of years of failures that happend after Zoon. He doesn't want to be misunderstood again. Looks like he's now back on track with the new Fields. Therefore, there won't be going back to the Nefilim sound, i say. Besides, the bar is just too high
morning comes as light burning out my eyes
Poison Ivy

Post by Poison Ivy » Fri Aug 01, 2008 8:40 am

angry bob wrote:I believe he still can come up with great music, but, i don't believe that he wants to make something groundbreaking, which will leave most of you confused. He is tired of years of failures that happend after Zoon. He doesn't want to be misunderstood again. Looks like he's now back on track with the new Fields. Therefore, there won't be going back to the Nefilim sound, i say. Besides, the bar is just too high
O c'mmon never say never, have faith 8)
.... and his failures were not due to his music I believe :?
I agree it is extremly high level to reach, but he has great musician now with metallishh skills, sooo....he cannot be sweet dreammer lovely goth boy all the time, you have seen him there, wild beast :shock:
BTW he loves to confuse us , that is the way he is, not?
Bau
Nephilim

Post by Bau » Fri Aug 01, 2008 1:04 pm

Poison Ivy wrote: BTW he loves to confuse us , that is the way he is, not?
somehow I think , if he reads any of this MB, it is him that is confused more so.
Poison Ivy

Post by Poison Ivy » Fri Aug 01, 2008 1:53 pm

Bau wrote:
Poison Ivy wrote: BTW he loves to confuse us , that is the way he is, not?
somehow I think , if he reads any of this MB, it is him that is confused more so.
He doesn't. We are here completly on our own *cthulhu*
Evilok
Moonchild

ZOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOON

Post by Evilok » Fri Aug 01, 2008 4:01 pm

My fave was the Nephilim album. After that Dawnrazor, after that Zoon and after that Elizium. Still trying to make my mind up over Mourning Sun. For myself I've listened to this stuff for so many years and my attitudes have changed as time has gone on. I remember being horrified when Psychonaut came out and thought it signalled the end of the Nephilim. A year later it was one of my favourite tracks. Maybe I'm like Charlie Brown - Some days I feel wishy, some days I feel washy. It's all fcuking great though and rips the crap out of pretty much anything else musically anyway for me. I always felt Elizium was too polished.

WE ARE THE NEPHILIM :twisted:
gingerpazuzu
Nephilim

Post by gingerpazuzu » Sun Aug 03, 2008 10:36 pm

Loved it upon its release,but completely treasure it all these years later..felt it was the creative high point for Carl...the whole album hangs together perfectly + every song is magikal *cthulhu*

may the mountains shake you to the core
angry bob
Nephilim

Post by angry bob » Tue Aug 05, 2008 12:19 am

gingerpazuzu wrote:Loved it upon its release,but completely treasure it all these years later..felt it was the creative high point for Carl...the whole album hangs together perfectly + every song is magikal *cthulhu*
8)
morning comes as light burning out my eyes
squishy
Nephilim

Post by squishy » Tue Aug 05, 2008 9:41 am

Poison Ivy wrote:O c'mmon never say never, have faith 8)
Faith? Who needs faith! Have fish instead!

(A fish a day keeps the doc away. Everyday. Thrice a day. Before and after every meal. With tea. With coffee. Instead of tea or cofee. Fish for every dish! Fish instead of pish; fish in lieu of (the) mish. The new fishosophy: etc. etc.)
remember what the doorknob said
Poison Ivy

Post by Poison Ivy » Tue Aug 05, 2008 10:32 am

squishy wrote:
Poison Ivy wrote:O c'mmon never say never, have faith 8)
Faith? Who needs faith! Have fish instead!

(A fish a day keeps the doc away. Everyday. Thrice a day. Before and after every meal. With tea. With coffee. Instead of tea or cofee. Fish for every dish! Fish instead of pish; fish in lieu of (the) mish. The new fishosophy: etc. etc.)
I have learned here that 'FISH' can have so many 'meanings' ....and you want it 3 TIMES A DAY :shock: :shock: :shock:

ZOON :wink:
shackled
Watcher

Post by shackled » Wed Jan 14, 2009 7:10 pm

Old thread, I know. :roll:

When Zoon was released I was very disappointed because I like some heavy music and I thought for sure Carl would crucify it nicely. His vision did nothing for me. I gave it a fair chance and then shelved it for a year.

When I brought it back into my aural space the first three tracks grew on me. I put them into my rotation and once again let it sit.

It has grown on me more since then, but I still skip tracks 4-6...

I have never had to try so hard with an album, and wouldn't have with any other artist. It has been a very tough one for me.
gingerpazuzu
Nephilim

Post by gingerpazuzu » Wed Jan 14, 2009 10:08 pm

But what do you think of it now? Have you grown to love its beauty *cthulhu*
shackled
Watcher

Post by shackled » Thu Jan 15, 2009 4:42 pm

gingerpazuzu wrote:But what do you think of it now? Have you grown to love its beauty *cthulhu*
I'm still struggling with tracks 4-6. I think the musical influence of the band is responsible for that, as CMC wrote the rest...

I have grown to love the righteous fury of Black Rain though, and consider it one of my favorites now. Xodus and Shine grew on me rather quickly. *smoking*
gingerpazuzu
Nephilim

Post by gingerpazuzu » Thu Jan 15, 2009 5:26 pm

Thats wonderful,the other trcks will grow on you too :) *cthulhu*
ThomasB
Nephilim

Post by ThomasB » Fri Jan 16, 2009 5:12 pm

Loved it a lot at the time, even though I dislike most (if not all) things metal. It's like a Hyeronimus Bosch painting turned into music, layered and convulsive.
It was well recieved here. But then, here, if you labelled the sound of a toilet flushing and called it "metal", it would sell…
I don't think McCoy has to go back to Nefilim sound, since now, FOTN IS metal. Good for business anyway.
Fundraiser. You know, it's like Hellraiser, but without the Cenobites, the blood and all that.
IN NOMINE NEMO !
gingerpazuzu
Nephilim

Post by gingerpazuzu » Fri Jan 16, 2009 5:25 pm

A great comparison Thomas...Hieronymus Bosch painting turned into to music *notworthy* *notworthy* *notworthy*
ThomasB
Nephilim

Post by ThomasB » Fri Jan 16, 2009 9:10 pm

gingerpazuzu wrote:A great comparison Thomas...Hieronymus Bosch painting turned into to music *notworthy* *notworthy* *notworthy*
…That's quite the vision I get when I listen to it. It seems very evocative. Could be my dear Beskinki too, but his landscapes just looks… Dead (which was certainly his intetion I point out !) I remember some other convulsive painting of some hellish landsape, but of course, I can't buggered to remember the title nor the painter… Sod it, it will come back.
I also had my own take of the artistic concept at the time, but I did not know the, ahem, mystical leanings of the lyrics; So my interpretation was a load of bollocks… *whistle*
Fundraiser. You know, it's like Hellraiser, but without the Cenobites, the blood and all that.
IN NOMINE NEMO !
Lord Mureth
Nephilim

Post by Lord Mureth » Fri Jan 16, 2009 9:21 pm

Do tell, Thomas....