She vs Shine

Discuss about the albums and videos the band has released over the years. The band we are talking about here is of course F.O.T.N. and not side-projects, similar bands etc. Please use other sections if you want to talk about the weather.

Moderators: Morphic, Blue Angel, The Fallen Ones

She or Shine?

SHE
37%
SHINE
63%

Total votes: 62
gilgamesh
Watcher

Post by gilgamesh » Wed May 07, 2008 11:03 am

I think She only really works as a prelude to MS, on its own it just ambles along a bit, pleasant but without much variation. I could imagine an audience waving candles along to it before "Winds of Change" by the Scorpions......
I listened to Shine on the way home last night in the car and had it blasting out- I think its got more depth and I like the vocal overlays towards the end. I often feel that its about a minute too short though, it cuts out reasonably quickly.
The other slowburner for me on Zoon is Melt- brooding menace and highly atmospheric with its whispered vocals. I love that one.
Poison Ivy

Post by Poison Ivy » Wed May 07, 2008 11:38 am

gilgamesh wrote:I think She only really works as a prelude to MS, on its own it just ambles along a bit, pleasant but without much variation. I could imagine an audience waving candles along to it before "Winds of Change" by the Scorpions......
I listened to Shine on the way home last night in the car and had it blasting out- I think its got more depth and I like the vocal overlays towards the end. I often feel that its about a minute too short though, it cuts out reasonably quickly.
The other slowburner for me on Zoon is Melt- brooding menace and highly atmospheric with its whispered vocals. I love that one.
:lol: :lol: :lol: Melt is masterpiece IMHO. I love it, but...
...well you really listen to 'Zoon' while driving?
And...you...are...OK?
I stoped as I realized that I have problems with getting from point A to point B, as I should get there in 15 minutes, but I was totaly out of right way driving around and listend to'welcome, so you come'. And it happend fiew times :mrgreen: so - in my car only 'Dawnrazor' since that time, as I surly cannot be late for some meetings.
'Zoon' must wait for midnight hours :mrgreen:
angry bob
Nephilim

Post by angry bob » Wed May 07, 2008 11:56 am

Poison Ivy wrote: I stoped as I realized that I have problems with getting from point A to point B, as I should get there in 15 minutes, but I was totaly out of right way driving around and listend to'welcome, so you come'. And it happend fiew times :mrgreen: so - in my car only 'Dawnrazor' since that time, as I surly cannot be late for some meetings.

wise girl. Zoon crashes
morning comes as light burning out my eyes
gilgamesh
Watcher

Post by gilgamesh » Wed May 07, 2008 3:27 pm

Poison Ivy wrote:[...well you really listen to 'Zoon' while driving?
And...you...are...OK?
I stoped as I realized that I have problems with getting from point A to point B, as I should get there in 15 minutes, but I was totaly out of right way driving around and listend to'welcome, so you come'. And it happend fiew times :mrgreen: so - in my car only 'Dawnrazor' since that time, as I surly cannot be late for some meetings.
I know what you mean, but I find it almost too..............intense and frightening. The driving dilutes the effect. Maybe in another 10 years I'll cope with it in its own right!
squishy
Nephilim

Post by squishy » Wed May 07, 2008 3:39 pm

Since "She" seems badly beaten, I've reconsidered and decided to cast my vote :)

(Still thinking that both are great tracks, though *smoking*)
remember what the doorknob said
dawn_
Dawnrazor

Post by dawn_ » Sun May 11, 2008 2:09 am

definitely She...it's the track with which i fell in love with Nephs...

Shine....also great....and yes..why not?... listening to Zoon while driving? ...it makes the driving more....."intense" :mrgreen:
Even angels lose their wings eventually.
Ahrayeph

Post by Ahrayeph » Sun May 11, 2008 2:20 am

Listening to 'Zoon' makes everything more intense. I know a good use for 'Melt'... :mrgreen: *cthulhu*
welshbiker
Dawnrazor

Post by welshbiker » Sun May 11, 2008 5:56 pm

"To have a "shine"" is Welsh slang for "to have a shit".

Fact :lol:

WB
"Drink beer, have sex, take drugs,
RIDE BIKES"
Lord Mureth
Nephilim

Post by Lord Mureth » Mon May 12, 2008 5:50 pm

'She' is a great song; though there are several better ones on MS. To me it's a very close cousin to WOS/ATWYHBA...

... which is why I voted for Shine. The most Nephillimy* song on Zoon, an utterly majestic shimmering slice of genius. In a parallel universe, Shine would be 'number one on the hit parade' for ever.

Of course, there's also another FOTN song that begins with Sh... wonder why you didn't put an option for Shiva :wink: :lol:

*copyright Lord Mureth, 2007 *smoking*
squishy
Nephilim

Post by squishy » Mon May 12, 2008 6:59 pm

Lord Mureth wrote:'To me it's a very close cousin to WOS/ATWYHBA...
Agreed: and, just like WOS or ATWYHBA, it's but one part of a sequence: the two songs - She & MS - together have something that disappears when they're divided; and something quite preciousssss, I believe... Both sequences are beautifully space rockish, too *smoking* *smoking* *smoking*

(Now, who was grumbling about those Pink Floyd influences? *whistle*)
remember what the doorknob said
Poison Ivy

Post by Poison Ivy » Thu May 15, 2008 9:09 am

Lord Mureth wrote:'
Of course, there's also another FOTN song that begins with Sh... wonder why you didn't put an option for Shiva :wink: :lol:
Aghrrrr, well Shiva is other story :mrgreen: if I will find sutible linked competitor to Shiva perhaps I will give him a try, but do not have now idea what song could it be...Pazuzu? :wink:
Lord Mureth
Nephilim

Post by Lord Mureth » Mon May 19, 2008 10:43 am

Only competitors I can think of for Shiva aren't be the Nephs... 'The Birdie Song', 'You Could be the One' are the first two that spring to mind... *whistle* :wink:
Coco
Dawnrazor

Post by Coco » Mon May 19, 2008 11:01 am

I voted for She but Shine is brilliant track too.
Mekong_Delta
Psychonaut

Post by Mekong_Delta » Fri Oct 24, 2008 8:42 pm

Now I`m in the mood for Shine.
This can change every moment and I would choose She.
Both are brilliant Songs ......... but I choose .....

:roll:

She
gingerpazuzu
Nephilim

Post by gingerpazuzu » Fri Oct 24, 2008 10:48 pm

She is a fantastic track but Shine is breathtaking...one of my till favs :)
Mr. Happytrousers
Moonchild

Post by Mr. Happytrousers » Sat Oct 25, 2008 12:17 am

Like most of Mourning Sun, I think 'She' suffers from subpar production.

'Shine,' on the other hand, absolutely fcuking slays.
Selena
Watcher

Post by Selena » Sun Nov 23, 2008 7:28 pm

gingerpazuzu wrote:She is a fantastic track but Shine is breathtaking...one of my till favs :)
Lord Mureth wrote:'She' is a great song; though there are several better ones on MS. (...)

... which is why I voted for Shine. The most Nephillimy* song on Zoon, an utterly majestic shimmering slice of genius. In a parallel universe, Shine would be 'number one on the hit parade' for ever.
(...)
100 % agree! *notworthy*

"She" is a nice song but "Shine" is beyond compare... it is not only one of the best FOTN songs ever, it´s also one of my favourite songs of all times. Image