Moonchild

Discuss about the albums and videos the band has released over the years. The band we are talking about here is of course F.O.T.N. and not side-projects, similar bands etc. Please use other sections if you want to talk about the weather.

Moderators: Morphic, Blue Angel, The Fallen Ones

TheBoyNextDoor
Preacher Man

Moonchild

Post by TheBoyNextDoor » Mon Sep 04, 2006 2:42 pm

I received Moonchild (Longevity) today and thought it was a later pressing, a sort or re-release. But actually it was released a week before the other Moonchild single...

So what's the deal with releasing two different version of the same single?
I mean...why?
Pale Rider
Dawnrazor

Post by Pale Rider » Mon Sep 04, 2006 5:21 pm

Around about the time "Moonchild" was released, for a single to be "a single" and thus qualify for the UK singles chart it couldn't sport more than four tracks... so if you're being charitable you could say Beggars wanted to give us more than four tracks (and still count in the singles chart), or if you're feeling cynical (realistic?) - it was the record company's way of getting us to buy the same single twice, thus making more money for them (and a higher chart placing)!!

Also back then a single could only have four formats - i.e. 7", 12", CDS and Cassette or 12" x2, CDS and cassette... I guess this was an attempt to try and cut down on chart "fixing". Still didn't stop Beggars doing the same again with "Psychonaut"/"Sumerland"! :D
TheBoyNextDoor
Preacher Man

Post by TheBoyNextDoor » Mon Sep 04, 2006 5:43 pm

Tanks for the clarification, so.. though they are different they do count as same single on the charts.
Big Si
Dawnrazor

Post by Big Si » Mon Sep 04, 2006 6:25 pm

Loads of bands were doing it during the mid-1980's to early 1990's. The 2nd 12" was normally a limited edition version with a different mix of the a-side, and more than likely completely different b-sides.

Though it never stopped The Cure releasing about 7 different coloured vinyl versions of the same single :roll:
Nic
The Watchman

Post by Nic » Mon Sep 04, 2006 7:32 pm

Big Si wrote:Though it never stopped The Cure releasing about 7 different coloured vinyl versions of the same single :roll:
I'm glad I keeped to the CDs... :)
When routine bites hard and ambitions are low...
Pale Rider
Dawnrazor

Post by Pale Rider » Mon Sep 04, 2006 7:57 pm

God, I feel old - the early Neph singles were not actually released on CD... and neither were the albums initially!! Back in the mid/late eighties (though it's hard to believe now) CD's were considered a 'minority' format and were tucked away in some dark upstairs corner of your local HMV. Vinyl was the formt, hence the double 12" limited edition of the "Nephilim" album - which Beggars realeased some months after the standard LP version, thus guaranteeing everyone bought it again!! Bloody record companies - can't live with 'em, but can't live without 'em. :D
Big Si
Dawnrazor

Post by Big Si » Mon Sep 04, 2006 8:57 pm

Pale Rider wrote:God, I feel old - the early Neph singles were not actually released on CD... and neither were the albums initially!! Back in the mid/late eighties (though it's hard to believe now) CD's were considered a 'minority' format and were tucked away in some dark upstairs corner of your local HMV. Vinyl was the formt, hence the double 12" limited edition of the "Nephilim" album - which Beggars realeased some months after the standard LP version, thus guaranteeing everyone bought it again!! Bloody record companies - can't live with 'em, but can't live without 'em. :D
Ah, the digitally remastered 2x12" version of the album :roll: Image
TheBoyNextDoor
Preacher Man

Post by TheBoyNextDoor » Tue Sep 05, 2006 9:01 am

Once upon a time, Record companies were quite smart. Today they are falling behind.. even though they are sellling about the same as for 5 years ago (if you includes the downloads). :roll:
smiscandlon
Psychonaut

Post by smiscandlon » Tue Sep 05, 2006 9:55 am

Pale Rider wrote:God, I feel old - the early Neph singles were not actually released on CD... and neither were the albums initially!! Back in the mid/late eighties (though it's hard to believe now) CD's were considered a 'minority' format and were tucked away in some dark upstairs corner of your local HMV. Vinyl was the formt, hence the double 12" limited edition of the "Nephilim" album - which Beggars realeased some months after the standard LP version, thus guaranteeing everyone bought it again!! Bloody record companies - can't live with 'em, but can't live without 'em. :D
I constantly berate myself for thinking at the time that CDs wouldn't catch on, and buying everything on tape... :roll:
No flesh shall be spared
Prince of shadows
Moonchild

Post by Prince of shadows » Tue Sep 05, 2006 10:39 am

I'm glad cds arrived as most of my stuff on tape is completly inaudiable now.
"sweet dreams my angel"
Elisium Fields
Watcher

Post by Elisium Fields » Fri Nov 02, 2007 3:58 pm

Whilst talking of 'Moonchild'.......(purely for educatiponal purposes you understand) can any one of you fine Dawnrazor folk provide myself with Moonchild (1st Seal), Moonchild (2nd Seal) and Moonchild (Longevity) in CD format?

I am fast becoming a FOTN completist in my old age and would be well pleased if anyone can oblige. *notworthy*
"I stand alone, inside you.....I stand alone, the skys bruised..........."
Elisium Fields
Watcher

Post by Elisium Fields » Mon Nov 05, 2007 11:45 am

Elisium Fields wrote:Whilst talking of 'Moonchild'.......(purely for educatiponal purposes you understand) can any one of you fine Dawnrazor folk provide myself with Moonchild (1st Seal), Moonchild (2nd Seal) and Moonchild (Longevity) in CD format?

I am fast becoming a FOTN completist in my old age and would be well pleased if anyone can oblige. *notworthy*
Anyone? *notworthy*
X-spot
Moonchild

Moonchild for GOD

Post by X-spot » Mon Nov 05, 2007 2:54 pm

I have at least 2 of the 3, and if you want 'em in electronic format, I'd be willing to trade for a few GOD releases I've been trying to get but can't as they're oop and hard to find. This thread probly ought to be moved to the 'trading' thread btw. If you've got what I want etc, contact me off-board please.

Xstatic
:twisted:
"Who watches the watchers?"
Elisium Fields
Watcher

Re: Moonchild for GOD

Post by Elisium Fields » Fri Nov 09, 2007 11:55 am

X-spot wrote:I have at least 2 of the 3, and if you want 'em in electronic format, I'd be willing to trade for a few GOD releases I've been trying to get but can't as they're oop and hard to find. This thread probly ought to be moved to the 'trading' thread btw. If you've got what I want etc, contact me off-board please.

Xstatic
:twisted:
Thank you x-spot.

I have sent you a PM in order to improve my educational understanding of the many versions of 'Moonchild'.
Elisium Fields
Watcher

Post by Elisium Fields » Mon Nov 26, 2007 11:00 am

Elisium Fields wrote:Whilst talking of 'Moonchild'.......(purely for educatiponal purposes you understand) can any one of you fine Dawnrazor folk provide myself with Moonchild (1st Seal), Moonchild (2nd Seal) and Moonchild (Longevity) in CD format?

Still seeking the elusive Moonchild mixes...... *notworthy*
Paulie
Moonchild

Re: Moonchild

Post by Paulie » Fri Dec 07, 2007 10:15 pm

TheBoyNextDoor wrote:I received Moonchild (Longevity) today and thought it was a later pressing, a sort or re-release. But actually it was released a week before the other Moonchild single...

I mean...why?
Almost 19 yrs later these are now collectors items so thank God they did do it in more than one format. I recently got a new old stock Moonchild Second Seal never realising it ever existed until getting back into the Nephilim again and completing my collection. The second seal version is harder to find and as you know has a different cover - catalogue number SIT52TR. It was actually produced in much lower quantities.
Big Si
Dawnrazor

Post by Big Si » Sat Dec 08, 2007 1:11 pm

Paulie wrote:
TheBoyNextDoor wrote:I received Moonchild (Longevity) today and thought it was a later pressing, a sort or re-release. But actually it was released a week before the other Moonchild single...

I mean...why?
Almost 19 yrs later these are now collectors items so thank God they did do it in more than one format. I recently got a new old stock Moonchild Second Seal never realising it ever existed until getting back into the Nephilim again and completing my collection. The second seal version is harder to find and as you know has a different cover - catalogue number SIT52TR. It was actually produced in much lower quantities.
And the back covers are 2 halves of a picture :wink:

I bought all my Neph's vinyl back in 2001-2002 from GEMM and ebay dirt cheap :mrgreen: (Back in the day I bought all the Sisters and M*****n (forgive me I was very young :oops: ) vinyl, my wee bro bought the Neph's and my big sista bought The Cure and Joy Div-New Order).
Paulie
Moonchild

Post by Paulie » Sat Dec 08, 2007 4:20 pm

Big Si wrote:
Paulie wrote:

I mean...why?
And the back covers are 2 halves of a picture :wink:

You do realise I am now going to have to go up into the attic to check....

thankfully the Xmas tree comes out today so I've got a great excuse!

Incidentally - re. Moonchild Second seal, I have never actually played the record so still have no idea what the mix is like, can anyone tell me please the diference from the below;

Longevity - is the 12" and version off the album

First Seal 7" single is radio edit (i.e. with out "A revisit to an empty hall...etc

Unsealed - if I remember correctly is instrumental without vocal
Stevensonn
Moonchild

Post by Stevensonn » Sat Oct 11, 2014 12:47 pm

Longevity is not the same mix as on the album, the version on the album sounds identical to Second Seal for me. Can anyone point out the differences (if any) between the album version and second seal ?
Ngie
Leviathan

Post by Ngie » Wed Oct 15, 2014 10:56 am

Stevensonn wrote:Longevity is not the same mix as on the album, the version on the album sounds identical to Second Seal for me. Can anyone point out the differences (if any) between the album version and second seal ?
From those two on YouTube the Second Seal version ends earlier (more abruptly) and runs a higher tune and speed (which is logical if they're worked together :roll:):

Second Seal http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gHsXuAPoHnU
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A1ha8_MWjrA

As for Longevity : it sounds the same as the album version with a clearer sound.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S75BBNDESQU