Studio Master Quality Neph recordings

Discuss about the albums and videos the band has released over the years. The band we are talking about here is of course F.O.T.N. and not side-projects, similar bands etc. Please use other sections if you want to talk about the weather.

Moderators: Morphic, Blue Angel, The Fallen Ones

Bau
Nephilim

Post by Bau » Sun Feb 03, 2008 6:34 am

moomaaman wrote:Its also possible that a reason for the ' muddiness' on mourning sun may be something to do with the inclusion of a good deal of reversed samples.... as much as an artist tries to make instrument and voice sounds sit in different places in both the stereo and frequency spectrum, it becomes very difficult when those sounds are no longer naturally harmonic due to them being played backwards... i.e. the digital soundwave being physically reversed ...
you know thats not something I ever realy took into consideration....
Drazor
Moonchild

Post by Drazor » Mon Feb 04, 2008 7:15 am

moomaaman wrote:Its also possible that a reason for the ' muddiness' on mourning sun may be something to do with the inclusion of a good deal of reversed samples.... as much as an artist tries to make instrument and voice sounds sit in different places in both the stereo and frequency spectrum, it becomes very difficult when those sounds are no longer naturally harmonic due to them being played backwards... i.e. the digital soundwave being physically reversed ...
moomaaman,

I agree with you but not for the reason stated. I am not sure the digital wave form is reversed as you say. If you took the sample and the reversed sample and added them together, i don't think they would cancel as I read your post saying. Let me know if I misunderstood.

I could be wrong, but I suspect that the reason is that the samples themselves are incoherent because the are reversed. Just playing them alone (they wouldn't be physically reversed in that case) probably leads to something that is "muddy" and incoherent in and of itself.
Bau
Nephilim

Post by Bau » Tue Feb 05, 2008 7:05 pm

Drazor wrote:
moomaaman,

I agree with you but not for the reason stated. I am not sure the digital wave form is reversed as you say. If you took the sample and the reversed sample and added them together, i don't think they would cancel as I read your post saying. Let me know if I misunderstood.

I could be wrong, but I suspect that the reason is that the samples themselves are incoherent because the are reversed. Just playing them alone (they wouldn't be physically reversed in that case) probably leads to something that is "muddy" and incoherent in and of itself.
There certainly always is the possibilty of phase cancelation when ever you combine sounds and certainly any time a sound is reversed stretched or otherwise manipulated it does affect its sound quality and characteristics. All sort of strange anomolies can occur, one of the delemas especialy concerning misheard lyrics , the overlaying and blending of sound can often make one thing sound like something else. How the brain percieves audio is another big thing. And people hear things differently. And just as there are optical illusions there are audio ones as well. Sometimes one doesn't know what they are hearing.

heres a link, also containing links on data and dynamic compression fitting the discusion :

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Auditory_illusion

some of these things can definately affect the outcome of a recording and alter the original intent of the samples that are combined, to the experienced there are many things can actualy be used to ones advantage 8)

too funny :
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zbPB9pk1H0I

Barfing computers!:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S125-luCnCk

love at the speed of sound:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Ilaqz53gds

aaaOOOOoooooo (myfavesound):
geyPGI7dK3V=v?hctaw/moc.ebutuoy.www//:ptth
kazamel
Psychonaut

Post by kazamel » Mon Mar 03, 2008 10:32 am

Alan Wilder: We live in a world of technology - exponentially increasing breakthroughs in all things scientific. So fast that we can't even keep up with it. So why is it that the audio quality of music is degenerating? Music 'sounds' worse. We have stopped listening, we don't have time. We only have time to be smacked in the face by the loudest, most attention-grabbing blast of souped-up noise imaginable until ear fatigue sets in and the desire to 'change the record' takes over. Why are the adverts on TV twice the volume of the regular broadcasts?
It's the only way to get our attention in the VOLUME WAR.

Full article: http://www.side-line.com/interviews_com ... 0_0_16_0_C
I like these calm little moments before the storm. It reminds me of Beethoven. Can you hear it? It's like when you put your head to the grass and you can hear the growin' and you can hear the insects.
Bau
Nephilim

Post by Bau » Tue Mar 04, 2008 7:31 pm

kazamel wrote:Alan Wilder: We live in a world of technology - exponentially increasing breakthroughs in all things scientific. So fast that we can't even keep up with it. So why is it that the audio quality of music is degenerating? Music 'sounds' worse. We have stopped listening, we don't have time. We only have time to be smacked in the face by the loudest, most attention-grabbing blast of souped-up noise imaginable until ear fatigue sets in and the desire to 'change the record' takes over. Why are the adverts on TV twice the volume of the regular broadcasts?
It's the only way to get our attention in the VOLUME WAR.

Full article: http://www.side-line.com/interviews_com ... 0_0_16_0_C
*notworthy* thanks for posting this great article

I was watching a seminar on mastering that Diskmakers sent me, and have to hand it to them for their stance on this.