Immortality : 2045?

A forum to discuss the more arcane side of FOTN. If you want a more serious discussion on FOTN then you'll find it here.

Moderators: Morphic, Blue Angel, The Fallen Ones

Ngie
Leviathan

Immortality : 2045?

Post by Ngie » Thu Feb 26, 2015 4:08 pm

<<Russian businessman, Dmitry Itskov, which, like Caster’s system of the movie Transcendence, is quickly broadening the horizons of artificial intelligence. Its purpose?

To achieve human immortality.

How? Simple…

Itskov, along with over 100 scientists, wants to transplant human consciousness (personality and all) into the head of a robotic body, or an “avatar” – hence his company’s name: Immortal Avatar.>>

http://www.wallstreetdaily.com/2014/07/ ... nitiative/
markandre13
Leviathan

Re: Immortality : 2045?

Post by markandre13 » Thu Feb 26, 2015 7:26 pm

Haven't read the article but that reminds me of Ray Kurzweil and his 250 pills per day so that he won't die before the singularity. The year 2045 is Kurzweil's estimate, at which he would be 97 years old.
"It's probably better to have him inside the tent pissing out, than outside the tent pissing in." -- Lyndon B. Johnson
Ngie
Leviathan

Post by Ngie » Thu Feb 26, 2015 11:37 pm

That's it, exactly.
Here's an interview of Ray Kurzweil about GF2045 and the Avatar project :

http://2045.com/news/29620.html
ThomasB
Nephilim

Post by ThomasB » Fri Feb 27, 2015 9:10 am

Don't really get it. Even if you don't believe in anything spiritual… A copy of you, no matter how accurate, is not really you, no ? The real you will wither, croak and bugger off into the sunset just like the rest, even if the copy survives… In order to "be immortal", you'd have to transfer the personnality, not copy it…
Fundraiser. You know, it's like Hellraiser, but without the Cenobites, the blood and all that.
IN NOMINE NEMO !
markandre13
Leviathan

Post by markandre13 » Fri Feb 27, 2015 2:18 pm

If you'll kill the original fast enough... it will look like a transfer.
"It's probably better to have him inside the tent pissing out, than outside the tent pissing in." -- Lyndon B. Johnson
Ngie
Leviathan

Post by Ngie » Fri Feb 27, 2015 4:45 pm

I see no need to kill it if it can be kept alive. Each individual will be allowed to live for ever. Keeping the original one in the best state and as the conductor to use robots or clones as subordinates as they are interchangeable and adaptable with options.

The copy of you is not the real you but it can be a surrogate.
In a short future we'll be able to use them for many things. They'll relieve us of the tasks we need for our survey by doing them instead of us. They'll become a safe way to make experiments without moving from our seat. We'll become who we want to be and play with whoever we want in games. Old people will live in long-(ever)-term nursing houses nurtured by teams made of real people and robots. They'll entertain themselves this way whereas they could no longer do in real life. We'll become able to bathe, fly, as if for real, from our own cell or in the outside with new supllies. The possibilities are unlimited.
markandre13
Leviathan

Post by markandre13 » Mon Mar 02, 2015 11:50 am

Ngie wrote:They'll relieve us of the tasks we need for our survey by doing them instead of us.
They'll rather start to argue with us who will be the master and who the servant.
Ngie wrote:They'll become a safe way to make experiments without moving from our seat.
Something like that is already possible today with a remote controlled robot, where the controller is immersed in what the robot sees and hears. Okay, there's still much room for improvement. A robot which is undistinguishable from real humans and a remote control, which gives you the feeling that you actually are the robot.
Ngie wrote:Old people will live in long-(ever)-term nursing houses nurtured by teams made of real people and robots.
Oh! Roujin Z is the movie to watch on old people nursing homes and robots!
Ngie
Leviathan

Post by Ngie » Mon Mar 02, 2015 7:48 pm

Instead of these negative aspects of naughty technology I'd rather keep in mind and wish to see for me a technology which relieves me than enslave me. If we always keep that in mind when making new device of any kind nothing bad should happen to us.

Film makers of the sci-fi genre play on our fears before all, they reflect them instead of exploring the best we should wish. Haven't you noticed how they systematicaly show the worse possibly imaginable of every technological breakthrough? I can't mention any sci-fi movie where the future is shown positively or in an attractive way apart from one called La belle verte which is 20 years old already, can you ?
To watch such programs I consider as propaganda is to accept to have our dreams stolen in advance and spoiled, then to submit without resistance to the bad to come. I've come to hate the sci-fi genre for adults because of the unhealthy faintness they deliver.
ThomasB
Nephilim

Post by ThomasB » Tue Mar 03, 2015 9:47 am

Ngie wrote: The copy of you is not the real you but it can be a surrogate.
In a short future we'll be able to use them for many things. They'll relieve us of the tasks we need for our survey by doing them instead of us. They'll become a safe way to make experiments without moving from our seat. We'll become who we want to be and play with whoever we want in games. Old people will live in long-(ever)-term nursing houses nurtured by teams made of real people and robots. They'll entertain themselves this way whereas they could no longer do in real life. We'll become able to bathe, fly, as if for real, from our own cell or in the outside with new supllies. The possibilities are unlimited.
…As long as you can afford them of course. I doubt us hoï polloï will benefit from all this… An issue which is already being adressed BTW.
Fundraiser. You know, it's like Hellraiser, but without the Cenobites, the blood and all that.
IN NOMINE NEMO !
ThomasB
Nephilim

Post by ThomasB » Tue Mar 03, 2015 9:50 am

Ngie wrote: Film makers of the sci-fi genre play on our fears before all, they reflect them instead of exploring the best we should wish. Haven't you noticed how they systematicaly show the worse possibly imaginable of every technological breakthrough? I can't mention any sci-fi movie where the future is shown positively or in an attractive way apart from one called La belle verte which is 20 years old already, can you ?
La Belle Verte… A perfect future without any minority (everyone's lily-white), without any dissent, where everything not in the party line is marginalized by the Ubermensches and the only thing acceptable is churning out rug rats… Yes, a pretty positive future. I'm surz Adolf would have liked it, apart from some minor disruptions.
IN NOMINE NEMO !
markandre13
Leviathan

Post by markandre13 » Tue Mar 03, 2015 11:48 am

Ngie wrote:Instead of these negative aspects of naughty technology I'd rather keep in mind and wish to see for me a technology which relieves me than enslave me. If we always keep that in mind when making new device of any kind nothing bad should happen to us.

Film makers of the sci-fi genre play on our fears before all, they reflect them instead of exploring the best we should wish. Haven't you noticed how they systematicaly show the worse possibly imaginable of every technological breakthrough?
I have.

Every technology has different aspects. One doesn't have to look into the future. Take the fridge. What an advancement. And then we've learned about chlorofluorocarbons and the ozone hole. Or atomic power. In the 50ties people thought it would give everybody electricity for free. Only later we've realized that it still comes at a cost.

Also a lot of so called Science Fiction isn't about 'Science' at all. The Science is used as a plot device to tell a story. And when it's a movie, it's expensive and they have to make sure they get their money back. And hence it needs a big conflict and shit being blown up. Also the fears in Science Fiction are usually reflections of popular fears in society: Communism, the Atomic Bomb, Pollution, ...

There are only few positive hardcore science fiction stories.

I grew up with authors like Jules Verne, Arthur C. Clarke, Isaac Asimov and Robert A. Heinlein, SF movies like "Navigator" or "D.A.R.Y.L." and their story conflicts grew out of people rather than the dangers of technology. And you are right, there isn't much positive SF these days. This is why Neil Stephenson started Project Hieroglyph.

There is one thing I love in dystopian SciFi. Those moments when all hope seems to be lost, which bring out the best in some of us, those who are willing to give their lives for others and fight for a better world for those they love.
Sumerian Memory
Moonchild

Post by Sumerian Memory » Tue Mar 10, 2015 4:01 am

Thank-you for the important to know about post and additional info, Ngie!
We shall see what will be... What can and should be saved/transferred this way...
markandre13 wrote:I grew up with authors like Jules Verne, Arthur C. Clarke, Isaac Asimov and Robert A. Heinlein, SF movies like "Navigator" or "D.A.R.Y.L." and their story conflicts grew out of people rather than the dangers of technology. And you are right, there isn't much positive SF these days. This is why Neil Stephenson started Project Hieroglyph.

There is one thing I love in dystopian SciFi. Those moments when all hope seems to be lost, which bring out the best in some of us, those who are willing to give their lives for others and fight for a better world for those they love.
markandre13: Excellent! ...

"Every day birthed anew... born promise... a million possibilities taking shape and reach new day's Sun. But what if the next time that Sun rose, there were no possibilities at all--only death... yours... and of everything you have ever known; how would you act in that darkness before hand... how would you go out? We are simple things--soldiers, We are taught honour--honour means sacrifice--sacrifice means death... even our own, or our enemies. In some ways, beneath it all--that's all a soldier's really trained for... to undo all of God's work--to take life, where only God can give it. Were it that we weren't soldiers... but Gods!"

"Like that, someone can play God to you--someone you don't know... invisible like a malevolent force beyond the firmament... taking from you... our only birthright--life..."

"Death will come to all of us--especially soldiers... It will come inevitable as the Sun... It is only to be feared if you fear what's on the other side of it... if you see darkness in your Soul, rather than light. In a way, I suppose soldiers are Gods. You give your life away, so others will live in peace... even if it's only fleeting. The ones that live... carry part of you with them. Your deeds become seeds for theirs. The sacrifice carries forward... and in their final moments as a soldier--you know they will have to answer the same question, you did in yours... with your life--would you only create death... or with your death--would you create life... that is my question to you, Commander Locke; how will you die and for what?"

- Halo: Nightfall

In darkness and hope...
So others may live on...
In love and enlightenment...
For The Brave New World...
Love is the law, love under will...
...Forever Lost...\\N//...Forever Remain...
Enoch
Dawnrazor

Post by Enoch » Sun Mar 15, 2015 11:22 pm

markandre13 wrote: I grew up with authors like Jules Verne, Arthur C. Clarke, Isaac Asimov and Robert A. Heinlein, SF movies like "Navigator" or "D.A.R.Y.L." and their story conflicts grew out of people rather than the dangers of technology. And you are right, there isn't much positive SF these days. This is why Neil Stephenson started Project Hieroglyph.
Thank you for that link :)

Up until Roddenberry's death, to me, Star Trek stood for some of that as well. While I did enjoy the rather more nuanced and also negative view presented in Deep Space Nine, the more allegoric and positive outlook on human society and technology, which I largely agree with as a worthy and inspiring goal, was shown in the original series and The Next Generation.
Night obliterates the day and all the fun begins
The Damned - Curtain Call

Citizen of a nation otherwise populated mainly by blinded, brain damaged xenophobes
Ngie
Leviathan

Post by Ngie » Wed May 20, 2015 2:20 pm

What if it just required to wonder about it? :D 8) Here's -at least- an attempt of an answer in next Disney movie Tomorrowland : http://www.tomorrowland.com/global-splash/

US Teaser : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1k59gXTWf-A
"the considerable question remains as to whether the mass audience of the moment is ready to embrace an inventive but less overwhelmingly Marvelous adventure fantasy than is the current norm.”
http://www.tgdaily.com/happyplace/film/ ... ews-are-in
Ngie
Leviathan

Post by Ngie » Wed May 20, 2015 2:51 pm

more bollocked and rock'n'roll Mad Max Fury Road goes further about a future made of neverending fight between people for survey.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YWNWi-ZWL3c