of sackcloth and ashes

A forum to discuss the more arcane side of FOTN. If you want a more serious discussion on FOTN then you'll find it here.

Moderators: Morphic, Blue Angel, The Fallen Ones

Ngie
Leviathan

of sackcloth and ashes

Post by Ngie » Tue Mar 25, 2014 12:21 pm

It's always been said that the FOTN used to spread flour on their clothes, it even caused them an incident with the police who thought of another kind of white powder. The answering why's never gone as far as talking about the possibility of ashes. With the association of the smoke surrounding each of their appearance and as they are smokers themselves I've recently linked that with the biblical universe of Mardoche "sackcloth and ashes" . Now If you consider Carl's "weirdrobe" adding cloth in layers it makes no doubt there's some consistence here. *notworthy* (congratulating myself)

Here's some webpage with funny development of how to translate the french term "habillé comme un sac" http://forum.wordreference.com/showthre ... 6&langid=6 :mrgreen:
markandre13
Leviathan

Re: of sackcloth and ashes

Post by markandre13 » Tue Mar 25, 2014 3:29 pm

I am having difficulties to either dig or grok that but the following just came to my mind (of which I am not so sure that it is functional as it should be):
  • In the absence of a wardrobe, layering clothes is a sensible thing to do as it reduces weight when trying to be prepared to all kinds of weather.
  • mardoche: French word for the synonym of bowel movement or crapattack.
  • The "biblical universe of Mardoche" might then relate to Revelation 10:9: So I went to the angel and asked him to give me the little scroll. He said to me, "Take it and eat it. It will turn your stomach sour, but 'in your mouth it will be as sweet as honey.'"
  • Thus I recomend the following: eat one scroll to turn your stomach sour, burn a second scroll to turn a third scroll into a charcoal tablet and eat that too to heal your stomach again.
  • Hence I conclude, when layering scrolls, take a least three.
"It's probably better to have him inside the tent pissing out, than outside the tent pissing in." -- Lyndon B. Johnson
Ngie
Leviathan

Post by Ngie » Tue Mar 25, 2014 4:58 pm

markandre13 wrote:I am having difficulties to either dig or grok that but the following just came to my mind (of which I am not so sure that it is functional as it should be):
  • In the absence of a wardrobe, layering clothes is a sensible thing to do as it reduces weight when trying to be prepared to all kinds of weather.
Exactly indeed, especially when travelling by bike. :)

As for mardoche I was not referring to the one from the Urban Dictionnary. I had even never heard of that. Thanks for teaching me argot (argot= french slang) I wonder how you fell on that! :lol:

So it was about Mardoche(e) also known as Mordeccai and to the book of Esther.
I've read also that to suffer in the flesh is symbolized as sackcloth.
Although the modern-day idea of "wearing sackcloth" is often that of someone dressed in a burlap grain bag with head and arm holes cut in it, during Bible History its appearance was quite different. Sackcloth was most often made of coarse, black goat's hair. As its name indicates, it was used for sacks, but was also customarily worn by mourners (in some countries, the ancient custom is still faintly seen today when mourners wear black arm bands at funerals), or as a sign of deep repentance and humility. Ashes were often included as a further symbol of personal abhorrence and chagrin. Also, sackcloth was, and will be (in some contemporary form), in the case of the two witnesses, worn by some Prophets
(Sackcloth and Ashes -by Wayne Blank)
http://www.keyway.ca/htm2002/20020421.htm
ThomasB
Nephilim

Post by ThomasB » Wed Mar 26, 2014 9:26 am

[quote="Ngie"][quote="markandre13"]

Exactly indeed, especially when travelling by bike. :)

Most indeedy, because between each layer lies a bit of trapped air that keeps you warm. That's why, in Ye Aulde Days, folks put newspaper under their jackets !
Fundraiser. You know, it's like Hellraiser, but without the Cenobites, the blood and all that.
IN NOMINE NEMO !
Ngie
Leviathan

Post by Ngie » Wed Mar 26, 2014 4:51 pm

Oh really? That's rather technical! I'd only thought that the clothes for bike driving should behave like an armour in case of a crash at high speed, with high qualities of windbreaking and waterproof. Several layers of leather pants and Perfecto jackets seemed a good choice for those practical aspects.

Now at the age of mobile phones (for the news) and high-tech textiles I guess that even steampunk bikers should forget the newspapers.