The real inspiration of the Nephs?

Discuss about the Nephilim, Nefilim, F.O.T.N. and other projects by Carl McCoy. Stay on-topic, all off-topic posts will either be deleted or moved to General Chat or elsewhere.

Moderators: Morphic, Blue Angel, The Fallen Ones

Farkas
Watcher

The real inspiration of the Nephs?

Post by Farkas » Tue Dec 18, 2007 12:20 pm

well, now...one of my favorite movies of all times and now i found this (again) and must say:
except "once upon a time in the west": this must be one of carls inspirations to create his "look".
and btw: listen to the song played some seconds later

Keoma (click me)

weebleswobble
BayWatcher

Post by weebleswobble » Tue Dec 18, 2007 12:50 pm

indeedly :shock: :lol:
The first bit sounds like Bruce Wayne, and the second bit sounds like Batman.
Sadoldgit
Dawnrazor

Post by Sadoldgit » Wed Dec 19, 2007 12:33 am

I'm just glad Carl decided to drop the falsetto. Dawnrazor just wouldn't have sounded right sung at that pitch!!
Bau
Nephilim

Post by Bau » Wed Dec 19, 2007 3:25 pm

Sadoldgit wrote:I'm just glad Carl decided to drop the falsetto. Dawnrazor just wouldn't have sounded right sung at that pitch!!
I like his high pitched stuff, I think its rather cute!

http://www.angelfire.com/ak2/intelligen ... index.html
http://www.greymatter.org/satanichamsterdance/
Farkas
Watcher

Post by Farkas » Thu Dec 20, 2007 10:07 am

:lol: >>>

Sadoldgit
Dawnrazor

Post by Sadoldgit » Thu Dec 20, 2007 11:07 pm

Farkas wrote::lol: >>>

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Cheers, Bau!
The_Infidel
Moonchild

Post by The_Infidel » Thu Jan 03, 2008 2:53 pm

Spooky stuff!

Keoma ... Ma keo ... get my drift?
baba
Watcher

Re: The real inspiration of the Nephs?

Post by baba » Tue Jul 27, 2010 5:32 am

I knew about the movies and Marricone as an influence of the early sound and image, but what I'd never guessed was that behind that as an influence was......

surf rock??

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jl0iODzZ_3Y&NR=1

*cthulhu*
Farkas
Watcher

Post by Farkas » Tue Jul 27, 2010 1:45 pm

ghoul :mrgreen:

but nice track btw...i like that shite *notworthy*
Mark Anthony Quested
Leviathan

Post by Mark Anthony Quested » Tue Jul 27, 2010 8:11 pm

Farkas wrote:well, now...one of my favorite movies of all times and now i found this (again) and must say:
except "once upon a time in the west": this must be one of carls inspirations to create his "look".
and btw: listen to the song played some seconds later

Keoma (click me)

Once upon a time in the west was the major inspiration and Carl's favourite film.

If you would like to see some Nephilim like westerns, I'd highly recommend "High Plains Drifter" and "Pale Rider" starring Clint Eastwood. Both these films have a paranormal inspiration, in the sense that the lead character is supposed to be some kind of angel of death.
Attachments
pale-rider-1985-02-g.jpg
pale-rider-1985-02-g.jpg (229.57 KiB) Viewed 12363 times
Last edited by Mark Anthony Quested on Tue Jul 27, 2010 8:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Yours, aye!

Mark Anthony Quested
Facebook - http://www.facebook.com/markanthonyquested
Twitter - Mark Anthony Quested @MAQuested
"He posts, in confusion!"
ThomasB
Nephilim

Post by ThomasB » Tue Jul 27, 2010 8:21 pm

Mark Anthony Quested wrote:
Farkas wrote:well, now...one of my favorite movies of all times and now i found this (again) and must say:
except "once upon a time in th
If you would like to see some Nephilim like westerns, I'd highly recommend "High Plains Drifter" and "Pale Rider" starring Clint Eastwood. Both these films have a paranormal inspiration, in the sense that the lead character is supposed to be some kind of angel of death.
…And Antonio Margheriti's shamefully forgotten "E dio dice a Cain", where Klaus Kinski's character is obviously an avenging ghost.
There's much more to Western Spaghetti than just Leone. The two others Sergio (Sollima and Corbucci) are his equals IMHO… (Paging Beth… Paging Beth… Assistance needed… Please back me up on this ! :wink: *smoking* )
Gee, look wot you've done ! Now I want to watch some Djangos (or would that be Djangi ? :lol: ) !
Fundraiser. You know, it's like Hellraiser, but without the Cenobites, the blood and all that.
IN NOMINE NEMO !
baba
Watcher

Post by baba » Tue Jul 27, 2010 9:48 pm

Farkas wrote:ghoul :mrgreen:

but nice track btw...i like that shite *notworthy*
8) but ghoul?

please, call me Betty Davis

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XypVcv77WBU

BTW could this be where McCoy got his look for the Mourning Sun album?

thats a beautiful horse in the pic. I'm partial to gray.
gingerpazuzu
Nephilim

Post by gingerpazuzu » Tue Jul 27, 2010 11:06 pm

Thomas I'm here! Aboslutely there is far more than Leone as regarding Italian westerns,I concur with Thomas that both Sollima + Corbucci are Leone's predecessor,Django is the first acknowleged western within the Italian genre,Franco Nero being the orginal archetype for the man with no name type character,the italian western gained prominence in international cinema with the Leone westerns without a doubt as they featured actors who were non Italian + therefore more recognisable,but at leat to me + a many others it is Franco Nero's depiction of Django that set the precedence for that lone stranger that features in the genre..With advent of DVD of many previously unkown gems including as Thomas so rightly mentions 'E dio dice a cain' are available in english laguage versions + have been remastered.My reason for learning to speak Italian comes from way in the 80's when I learnt to speak Italian as the only full versions of the majortity of italian westerns were only available in their full versions in their native language,a long with my twin passions for italian giallos,Thomas will understand what I mean :wink: But do venture further than the more commercially known westerns you wont be disappointed I promise :D
ThomasB
Nephilim

Post by ThomasB » Tue Jul 27, 2010 11:30 pm

gingerpazuzu wrote:Thomas I'm here! Aboslutely there is far more than Leone as regarding Italian westerns,I concur with Thomas that both Sollima + Corbucci are Leone's predecessor,Django is the first acknowleged western within the Italian genre,Franco Nero being the orginal archetype for the man with no name type character,the italian western gained prominence in international cinema with the Leone westerns without a doubt as they featured actors who were non Italian + therefore more recognisable,but at leat to me + a many others it is Franco Nero's depiction of Django that set the precedence for that lone stranger that features in the genre..With advent of DVD of many previously unkown gems including as Thomas so rightly mentions 'E dio dice a cain' are available in english laguage versions + have been remastered.My reason for learning to speak Italian comes from way in the 80's when I learnt to speak Italian as the only full versions of the majortity of italian westerns were only available in their full versions in their native language,a long with my twin passions for italian giallos,Thomas will understand what I mean :wink: But do venture further than the more commercially known westerns you wont be disappointed I promise :D
Thanks my friend, I knew I could count on you ! :wink:
Yes indeed, there are gems to be found in there. "El Chuncho" and Sergio Sollima's "Faccia a faccia" and two "El Chuchillo" movies, all featuring the mighty Tomas Milian, are deeper social commentaries than most of the realist cinema of the seventies (which I enjoy as well, mind you !).
For those inclined, many movies like "Django il bastardo" have a pretty obvious and, for their time, daring homosexual subtext. And about "Keoma", a featurette on the French DVD states how much Spaghetti westerns could breach themes that the US westerns, too much mired in the myth, could not, like racism in "Keoma". Considering how modern western are still mired in the myth ("Look ! It's history ! How we became Ye Ubermensch of our times ! It HAS to be heavy !), things like "Back to the future 3" still feels like a breath of fresh air…
P.S. And I wonder how they dared call the Japanese Chambaras (swords epics) "Soja-western" when they had a bit of ten years in advance, thematically, and twenty years, technically, in advance on westerns since the sixties. Case in hand, just look at the original Zaitochi movies and their use of scope, or the "Baby Cart" series, or Kurosawa's "Seven magnificent samuraïs", which had to be turned into… you name it… a western !!!
Fundraiser. You know, it's like Hellraiser, but without the Cenobites, the blood and all that.
IN NOMINE NEMO !
Ngie
Leviathan

Post by Ngie » Thu Jul 29, 2010 9:05 pm

Thank you fairy much for sharing the references and for making me know (or renow) Keoma especially. A very important piece of the nephilim construction indeed whichever kind of an influence it's been. The music and voice going with it is so special and heart-rending. Bau I can't help it but imagine you singing that. There's something in your voice which would match very well with it, but you've maybe already made something from it, haven't you? :?: