Fields of the Nephilim Discussion Forum
It is currently Sat Dec 16, 2017 6:25 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Is The Nephilims "Last Exit for the Lost" about suicide
PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 8:39 pm 
Moonchild

My WTF was twofold:
Seriously, do you know your audience here? and
We're all adults here, who are you to tell me what to believe?

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2017 7:16 am 
Moonchild

Lizzie Umm wrote:

My WTF was twofold:

Seriously, do you know your audience here?

and

What is the point of having a message board if people don't say what they

really think?

That is why I like Doctor Who, he always has the answer ... :lol:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qMQ7X3wauRQ

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2017 2:44 pm 
Moonchild

VisiGoth1 wrote:
Hesus - makes his appearance at 17:54 in Psychonaut

as McCoy says, "LEVIATHAN, (another euphemism for the Devil)

YOU DESERVE US" (apparently because we're all sinners) :roll:

...........................................................................................

Fields Of The Nephilim - Revelations ➤ (Official Videos)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sBkv_u3m5m4
...........................................................................................

Hesus - makes his appearance AGAIN at 7:29 in Blue Water

Lizzie Umm wrote:

Well -

Ms. Lizzie - like the varied "Sumerland" video song edit -McCoy clearly changes the lyrics from the LP/ CD version, using a chant "Thoughts of God" as a repeat chorus, unlike the Elizium album track. The "Sumerland" CD version instead merely says -"Do dreams fall from God ?" once at the very end.

Like the other lyrics I posted in this thread "Last Exit / Chord of Souls" perhaps you'd like to make an obervation of your interpretation of the three songs, rather than just sitting there being offended.

Originally, I had always thought "Chord of Souls" was just McCoys rant against organized religion.

Never liked the "Sumerland" edit, so I never listened to it on my DVD Visionary/Forever. I just noticed the difference yesterday.

Clearly - in the Psychonaut video posted above, McCoy is standing in front of a statue of Hesus, when he sings ""LEVIATHAN, YOU DESERVE US" (apparently because we're all sinners) in the video a sampling of black/white footage of killing or wars flashes.

Biblical scholars do debate whether "LEVIATHAN" is another symbol, a euphemism for the Devil, when a sea monster with this name appears in the scripture. McCoy screams again, "And YOU DESERVE US, LEVIATHAN." ( i.e.) the Devil does, our souls he
"DESERVES," because of our sins McCoy philosophizes.

Do you agree ?

Can you at least admit that McCoy is standing in front of a statue of Hesus in the Psychonaut video, is attempting to get the listening audience to believe in the Christ ?

(Like a Joseph Campbell cassette) :mrgreen:

"Chord of Souls" lyrics also could be the words of the fallen angels (Nephi) bitching at God.

*cthulhu*

Personally -

:arrow: "I don't believe in devils/I don't believe in angels, " ...

:arrow: Via Mistica - Lost Desires

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x_sAj1EYCMA

*cthulhu*

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2017 3:38 am 
Moonchild

Ngie wrote:

We can see Last exit for the lost as a song about the escape by drugs and suicide to a world full of lies and empty of hope. But we cannot ignore the transcendental part of fantasy and the creativity which characterizes the artists and which shows another escape to boredom and to the lack of horizon. Were our 5 young men conscious of that aspect at the time of writing the first songs? I don’t know, but their happiness which perspires of their TV interviews while becoming famous at least is good to see.

Artists are spokespersons. They talk of and for themselves of things which are evocative to others who don’t speak.

It is somewhat of a relief to read McCoy express his views on Zoon and Elizium in that interview I found and posted. Sometimes a record can be so conceptual that you just end up baffling the listener. Also overly complicated song structures tend to subtract from the excellent punkish melody of say, Dimension Hatross, for example. As a rule, I cannot stand prog. rock - Floyd, Yes, some Tull, and Voivods popular 'Nothingface' disc. The 'Nothingface' disc baffling lyrics combined with a bludgeoning bass production is ineffectual. I like a loud snare too, but this is a migraine ! :lol: It's a problem when a band says, "We write music for ourselves," like Metallica or Celtic Frost said in that thread interview. You end up pleasing yourself, but no one else! :lol:

Occasionally - Edelman of Coroner synth drums and programming and Tom Warrior riff experimenting produce quite a gem of a record.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=37APnn0kx9E

I must admit - I totally dig the Nephiims 8-9 min. song concepts but once in a while I'd like 4-5 short, mid tempo, slow or fast tracks thrown in as well like on the Dawnrazor or Laura discs. I used to put 'The Tower' on CD repeat quite often, I love the up front loud acoustics and drum volume of the thing.

Most musician rock stars in the Thrash underground are very mellow, humble, polite personages. I met Away from Voivod before the Outer Limits show at Harpos in Detroit.The label had folded or purchased, so there was no advance promotion of the fantastic Outer Limits concert. No radio advertisement of the show, but local station 89x played 'Clouds in My House' quite a bit. But Away was a bit down from the low turnout, so he was very pleasant. The band during the show showed no sign of being bothered, however, and were full of energy. Snake ran all over the place and the crowd very lively, Piggy riffed out a very long set from their whole catalogue. Away banged out perfect sounding fills to a complex setlist including: Warriors of Ice, Live for Violence, Lost Machine, Le Pont Noir, and Moonbeam Rider. I feel very lucky to have caught this gig.There were little lighting effects which appeared to be little flying saucers hovering around. Voivod is so cool.

Anyway - to lighten the mood -

more Doctor Who bloopers ...
:lol:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h9IZc-1Ra_Q

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OcNOVDIjX24

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2017 12:44 pm 
Moonchild

I don´t think it is about suiside.
I know this feeling I'm close and I almost see the door. But I do not know exactly where it is leading.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2017 1:31 pm 
Moonchild

VisiGoth1 wrote:
Also overly complicated song structures tend to subtract from the excellent punkish melody of say, Dimension Hatross, for example. As a rule, I cannot stand prog. rock - Floyd, Yes, some Tull, and Voivods popular 'Nothingface' disc. The 'Nothingface' disc baffling lyrics combined with a bludgeoning bass production is ineffectual. I like a loud snare too, but this is a migraine ! :lol:

Here - I hate to critique my favourite artists - like with Voivod and their latest dreadful Target Earth disc attempts to stylistically revisit the dated 80s sound / song structure and droning choruses of Dimension Hatross and Nothingface -

As a warning to other bands never to attempt repeats - and yet all the latest Destruction, Kreator, and Slayer records never stray from the same blistering upbeat tempo of Reign in Blood - with the one exception of the epic Kreator 2001 album: "Violent Revolution" - a must have for any Thrash Metaller.

This live concert shows the band abandon the obvious songwriting greatness left by Piggy (RIP) on his last two Voivod epics: Katorz (2006) and Voivod (2003) albums - in favour of a return to a full length headlining set of Dimension Hatross, Nothingface - blended
with new Target Earth stuff.

Recorded in the last couple months, the live Voivod show all sounds the same - it illustrates why Thrash died ... bands would not utilize synths, acoustics, quieter productions, altered string or song arrangements, ballads or slow melody tempos (unike The Nephilim, who did just that) and therefore Thrash Metal stagnated.

Talk about suicide - here, sans Newsted, Voivod kill their career ...

Voivod Live in Belgrade, Serbia 2017 (Full Show)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d9lK2q23I6c