Is The Nephilims "Last Exit for the Lost" about suicide ?

Discuss about the Nephilim, Nefilim, F.O.T.N. and other projects by Carl McCoy. Stay on-topic, all off-topic posts will either be deleted or moved to General Chat or elsewhere.

Moderators: Morphic, Blue Angel, The Fallen Ones

VisiGoth1
Moonchild

Is The Nephilims "Last Exit for the Lost" about suicide ?

Post by VisiGoth1 » Mon Oct 16, 2017 10:23 pm

*cthulhu*
Last edited by VisiGoth1 on Fri Mar 02, 2018 4:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
VisiGoth1
Moonchild

Re: Is The Nephilims "Last Exit for the Lost" about suicide

Post by VisiGoth1 » Tue Oct 17, 2017 1:48 am

*cthulhu*
Ngie
Leviathan

Post by Ngie » Tue Oct 17, 2017 4:05 pm

VisiGoth1 wrote:Is The Nephilims "Last Exit for the Lost" about suicide ?

HEY fellow Gothic Metallers - 30 year Nephilim fan here wants to know - what is the 'Last Exit'?

Being a fan I think I get the meaning or gist of many of his songs but not all ...

I read an old article music critic dismissing "Last Exit for the Lost" as suicide goth rock in rather derogatory slant ...

So 'And Were Getting Closer' to ... what ?

God?
Death?
The Great Old Ones ? *cthulhu*
I've always thought 'And we're getting closer' was meaning getting closer to each other, as cutting the distance.
VisiGoth1
Moonchild

Post by VisiGoth1 » Wed Oct 18, 2017 11:37 am

*cthulhu*
Ngie
Leviathan

Post by Ngie » Wed Oct 18, 2017 1:12 pm

Hello VisiGoth1!

Having not read much of the the litterature which influenced Carl in writing his lyrics and being not of English mother tongue I’ve been trying however to get the words and to translate them but with little success due to these two restrictions. Your help could be much appreciated -to me and to the other fans who come here- if you’d like to share with us what you’ve understood of the meaning of the lyrics with regard to your knowledge of the texts that you’ve read.

To complete my answer to your question about Last Exit For the Lost song, I don’t think it’s about suicide but about the despair of two souls in blocked access to each other in this life and who can hardly share it.

The door of the song I think is an entrance to another level of consciousness.

As for the reference to Ctulhu from Lovecraft’s litterature it is something that I’ve not yet understood. Getting bored in my attempt 30 years ago to read the novel The colour of space, I’ve simply left it aside as not my cup of tea. Of course it’s a lack -I admit it- if only to get the meaning of FOTN songs.

Coming to this consideration I’m about to do some homework again and investigate what it is this damn Cthulhu mythos once for all. The following link -in French- seems appropriate for that job.

https://www.kaosphorus.net/4417/le-cult ... hulhu-pdf/

Was there a special reason that I’ve missed why you wore your DR shirt last week ?

Probably it could be fun to watch the Doctor Who serie. It would acquaint myself with the Old Great Ones culture and additionally it should be useful to refresh and to improve my English.
VisiGoth1
Moonchild

Post by VisiGoth1 » Thu Oct 19, 2017 1:56 am

*cthulhu*
Last edited by VisiGoth1 on Fri Mar 02, 2018 4:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
VisiGoth1
Moonchild

Post by VisiGoth1 » Thu Oct 19, 2017 8:26 am

*cthulhu*
Last edited by VisiGoth1 on Fri Mar 02, 2018 4:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
MintyTheCat
Moonchild

Post by MintyTheCat » Fri Oct 20, 2017 10:00 am

But the lyrics "this could be my last regress" would not suggest 'suicide' to me.
VisiGoth1
Moonchild

Post by VisiGoth1 » Sat Oct 21, 2017 12:11 pm

*cthulhu*
Last edited by VisiGoth1 on Fri Mar 02, 2018 4:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ngie
Leviathan

Post by Ngie » Sun Oct 22, 2017 2:39 pm

8)
Hi VisiGoth1, Hi MintyTheCat, Hi DR everybody!

Apologize for not following the conversation, I was kept away by other areas of life.

Many thanks VisiGoth1 for the many information that you’ve provided us with, it’s very cool of you that you’ve done all this work. *notworthy*

Of course all that you mention about the Lovecraft reference is there in the lyrics obviously and as you’re more qualified than me on that matter I take your words and rely on you for it.
..Which won’t affect my way of thinking as reality is something I consider as alive and fluctuating therefore in evolution just like FOTN lyrics.

Thank you for the many interesting reference that you mentioned. I gave an ear to some of Catherine Wheel and Cirith Ungol -begining of the albums Ferment and King of the Dead- I might listen to more of them when I’m less busy.

You can call me sir although sir I am only phonetically and in French. :-)
As for the neph original members of FOTN to which you compared me why haven’t you added Peter  unless you’re himself I wonder? ;-)

Many thoughts have crossed my mind which I can’t restitute here. Here is some of what is left of them.

About the suicide stuff : The eighties was the post punk period with the two famous ‘No future’ slogan -aside ‘Punks not dead’. The teens that we were in and around the U.K. at the time caught it for themselves. There wasn’t much overriding hope socially -professionaly- for an enough satisfying life to live. An exception perhaps on the professional aspect for those who would go the football path or the musical one as I remember it was said about the UK.

About lies lies lies -and taking smiles : Santa Claus’s bonhomie (affability) was fake, we were acknoldged it was counceling bleeding sharp teeth. We wouldn’t believe his father figure anymore. He had changed face to us and become a bastard, a big bag full of lies. There’s an equivalence of name for it since that time as the provocative title of the French farce movie : 'Le père Noël est une ordure' ('Santa Klaus is garbage') which apart from the title has nothing to do with this Santa Claus)

"Take what fate brings eternal and desire I'll change those faces then I'll take their smile" might be Carl's response in some way

One amongst other historical factors I remember the first occurrence of the word AID in 1983 which threatened the people and especially our new generation as a Damoclès sword. AIDS was going side by side with the word Popper and other names of poisons. We were discovering that we were surrounded by lies, commercial lies, political lies, about life, about war, and about everything which really mattered.
There was a big contrast between the education to human values -good morals, noble feelings- that Big Brother taught us and the world full of lies which was disclosing.

Furthermore the problem was that we felt enable to change a problem such big and pinpoint for us. Also we were aware that rebelling wouldn’t solve things. How and where fight ? We were aware and unable to solve it -too late- therefore the lack of hope and general depression. The situation was depressing Consequently the artists inevitably broached the subjects of lies and suicide within their songs. The last resort which characterizes the punk was to spoil and destroy it all even at the price of including our own selves while doing it.

As Rock’n’roll is rebellion it’s about saying it and opposing when something isn’t good or fair, reacting to the deprivations of liberty, denouncing injustices, rebeling against authorities.
All that to say that most musical bands of the time expressed each their own exacerbated way a feeling of diffuse social malaise in their songs and lyrics.
Punk rock was pushing things further, One step beyond so to speak.

Fields of the Nephilim appeared to do it their own peculiar way.

Another symptomatic factor to complete the explanation is drugs -sedative and hallucinogenic

FOTN and us were born around Woodstock with its determining parameter : drugs which were widely spread and crafty advertised+acclaimed by the festival-goers from then on.
Feeding the driven mad masses with drugs was a palliative to placate and distract them, and by all means a strategy to keep the world governable.

We can see Last exit for the lost as a song about the escape by drugs and suicide to a world full of lies and empty of hope.
But we cannot ignore the transcendental part of fantasy and the creativity which characterizes the artists and which shows another escape to boredom and to the lack of horizon.
Were our 5 young men conscious of that aspect at the time of writing the first songs? I don’t know, but their happiness which perspires of their TV interviews while becoming famous at least is good to see.

Artists are spokespersons. They talk of and for themselves of things which are evocative to others who don’t speak.
Ngie
Leviathan

Post by Ngie » Sun Oct 22, 2017 2:49 pm

VisiGoth1 wrote: "I can see the door" and "Last Exit" always meant leaving this world because of the Cthulu reference. McCoy seemed to be trying to find a way out of this world. Chord of Souls "I hate your country, and I hate your world."
..................................................................................................

(PS) As for Classic Doctor Who - if you'd care to broaden your intellectual
repertoire (1963-86) are all excellent [FYI ...TERRY NATION created the Daleks for Doctor Who as a euphemism for the War Machine] but skip it after 1986 because Sylvester McCoy /new shows are rubbish. Colin Baker was charasmatic, and fatastic,but fired prematurely for political reasons.

The Doctor and Davros - Genesis of the Daleks
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dkelV2WUNdw

or the White Wolf Hardcovers of The Eternal Champion (series)
by Michael Moorcock present fantasy in alternate dimensions, chaos theory
http://www.multiverse.org/index.php?tit ... 8series%29

Best of H.P. Lovecraft book or the unedited version of Lovecrafts "Dagon"
film or Lovecrafts ""Re-Animator" DVD good Halloween spook stuff ...

*cthulhu*
I shall watch Docteur Who :lol:

Chord of Souls "I hate your country" or doesn't he say 'I hate your culture', and I hate your world" ?
VisiGoth1 wrote:Perhaps you Minty, and Ngie are right when the latter said -
"I've always thought 'And we're getting closer' was meaning getting closer to each other"
Who knows? :mrgreen:
VisiGoth1
Moonchild

Post by VisiGoth1 » Sun Oct 22, 2017 11:57 pm

*cthulhu*
Last edited by VisiGoth1 on Fri Mar 02, 2018 5:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
VisiGoth1
Moonchild

Post by VisiGoth1 » Mon Oct 23, 2017 5:35 am

*cthulhu*
Last edited by VisiGoth1 on Fri Mar 02, 2018 5:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
Sunchild
Moonchild

Post by Sunchild » Thu Nov 02, 2017 2:17 am

Not suicide. The exact opposite. Life. Chosen. The entity in question is lost in a limbo between life and nonexistence. Wants to come back to life, is wary for various reasons (mixed feelings), but ultimately feels stronger forces compelling them.
VisiGoth1
Moonchild

Post by VisiGoth1 » Fri Nov 03, 2017 4:38 am

*cthulhu*
Last edited by VisiGoth1 on Fri Mar 02, 2018 5:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
TruGoff
Moonchild

Post by TruGoff » Fri Nov 03, 2017 11:01 am

VisiGoth1 wrote:
Sunchild wrote:Not suicide. The exact opposite. Life. Chosen. The entity in question is lost in a limbo between life and nonexistence. Wants to come back to life, is wary for various reasons (mixed feelings), but ultimately feels stronger forces compelling them.
Well, I hope 'the entity in question' isn't hoping to depend or rely on the Necronomican, or Aliester Crowley, or any of the other fictional religious texts like the Bible, the Koran, the Bhagavad Gita, the ancient Greeks, or other non-existent myths mentioned in H.P. Lovecraft,as he/she will be sadly disappointed, as they, just like the bogus Satanism or Luci-fear-ianism are powerless, and are completely devoid of anything steeped in reality. :lol:
And you are an authority in things unseen and the spiritual realm?
You obviously understand nothing of Carl and the Nephilim.
Is it you who are LOST? *whistle*
VisiGoth1
Moonchild

Post by VisiGoth1 » Fri Nov 03, 2017 2:06 pm

*cthulhu*
Last edited by VisiGoth1 on Fri Mar 02, 2018 5:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Lizzie Umm
Moonchild

Post by Lizzie Umm » Sat Nov 04, 2017 6:51 pm

WTF?

That is all.
It's only a game,
We're only here to dream.
VisiGoth1
Moonchild

Post by VisiGoth1 » Mon Nov 06, 2017 3:46 am

*cthulhu*
Last edited by VisiGoth1 on Fri Mar 02, 2018 5:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
VisiGoth1
Moonchild

Post by VisiGoth1 » Mon Nov 06, 2017 1:14 pm

*cthulhu*
Last edited by VisiGoth1 on Fri Mar 02, 2018 5:18 am, edited 6 times in total.