Carl´s surname

Discuss about the Nephilim, Nefilim, F.O.T.N. and other projects by Carl McCoy. Stay on-topic, all off-topic posts will either be deleted or moved to General Chat or elsewhere.

Moderators: Morphic, Blue Angel, The Fallen Ones

Beladona
Moonchild

Carl´s surname

Post by Beladona » Wed Oct 26, 2016 4:51 pm

Do you think (or know) that McCoy is the real surname of Carl? If so, then it is a big coincidence. Or it must be evidence of determination by name :D
ThomasB
Nephilim

Re: Carl´s surname

Post by ThomasB » Thu Oct 27, 2016 8:21 am

Beladona wrote:Do you think (or know) that McCoy is the real surname of Carl? If so, then it is a big coincidence. Or it must be evidence of determination by name :D
What kind of coincidence ?
Fundraiser. You know, it's like Hellraiser, but without the Cenobites, the blood and all that.
IN NOMINE NEMO !
Beladona
Moonchild

Post by Beladona » Thu Oct 27, 2016 8:47 am

I mean that his name strangely corresponds with his character.
markandre13
Leviathan

Post by markandre13 » Thu Oct 27, 2016 10:00 am

The son of fire... I can't quite see the relation to the dark-man persona yet.
"It's probably better to have him inside the tent pissing out, than outside the tent pissing in." -- Lyndon B. Johnson
Ngie
Leviathan

Post by Ngie » Mon Oct 31, 2016 11:35 pm

Aed, or Aodh from which may be derived MacCoy, is told to be a god of the underworld in Irish mythology,https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aed_(god) may that explain?
markandre13
Leviathan

Post by markandre13 » Wed Nov 02, 2016 2:21 pm

Ngie wrote:Aed, or Aodh from which may be derived MacCoy, is told to be a god of the underworld in Irish mythology,https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aed_(god) may that explain?
But how does that relate to Carl's character. And to which character to we refer, the artist or his stage persona?
Or the Nomade, Zone Tripper from the M.A.R.K. 13 movie? (Which basically was Carl in his everyday 'practical' clothing during that period according to an interview I once read.)
"It's probably better to have him inside the tent pissing out, than outside the tent pissing in." -- Lyndon B. Johnson
Gruetoff
Moonchild

Post by Gruetoff » Wed Nov 09, 2016 9:17 pm

it IS his real surname. carl douglas mccoy.
markandre13
Leviathan

Post by markandre13 » Mon Nov 14, 2016 10:55 pm

But why does
Beladona wrote:his name strangely corresponds with his character
?
Ngie
Leviathan

Post by Ngie » Tue Nov 15, 2016 11:20 pm

I guess Belladona was putting in parrallel Coy the surname with the word (name) coy as trait of character.
Beladona
Moonchild

Post by Beladona » Wed Nov 16, 2016 6:38 pm

Thanks Ngie. I don´t feel so strong in English to going into complicated discussion :D
Ngie
Leviathan

Post by Ngie » Thu Nov 17, 2016 6:00 pm

Not either I'm afraid.
Sometimes being coy is better than letting words come out wrong.
gilgamesh
Watcher

Post by gilgamesh » Thu Nov 17, 2016 7:31 pm

Pretty sure that mccoy was the anglo saxon pagan god of procrastination.
Gruetoff
Moonchild

Post by Gruetoff » Sat Nov 26, 2016 9:04 pm

or maybe a normal guy that once was 20% of a great BAND, built a fan base and then went into different ways on his own, then again lost his path and found out that there is no way back for him and no path that would lead him to where he wants to be...
Ngie
Leviathan

Post by Ngie » Sun Nov 27, 2016 1:05 pm

Carl's repeated in interviews his wish and will of going on with Fields of the Nephilim making new material keeping it alive, but we can wonder indeed why it's taking so long with so many unexpected delays. So we have two ways of taking it : whether he's a liar or whether he's not, then we have to wonder why ? Why would he lie and repeatedly ridicule himself ? That wouldn't make sense.
or why as he'd sincerely be wishing for it to happen wouldn't it work as it should ?
There might be an explanation.
Like many artists he would have a muse or a pucca, he'd be talking with entities, whatever we'd call that. And that would keep him rather busy, out of time.
From there would come inspiration if he'd let it come, or he'd shut it up and try to live a normal life though uncreating. At least it could make sense to me.
Invisible Goth
Psychonaut

Post by Invisible Goth » Sun Nov 27, 2016 8:20 pm

Ngie wrote:So we have two ways of taking it : whether he's a liar or whether he's not
Option 3, just plain lazy and doesn't give a shiney shite about his fans

Ngie
Leviathan

Post by Ngie » Mon Nov 28, 2016 1:26 pm

Of that we're already acknowledged : he doesn't give a damn for the fans except for the reflection they may provide. But it's not hard to guess that positive feedback is demanding.

Criticism is easy, art is difficult. Plenty of bands exist and some are more productive than others. The degree of implication of the artist may vary too. While we're with this band in ears why compare? They have their reasons, their working way. Take the whole pack or leave. To misjudge mister MacCoy would not help the motivation but have the opposite result.

As for laziness it just doesn't mean a thing to me, not here. I don't believe in laziness, not where there is passion, fun and lot more like with FOTN, I can think of a lack of motivation or of inspiration sometimes, or even some discouragement when it's becoming as striving and constraining as work.

Carl has said about the music to come that he's patient. It's like it implies he's not in control of it all, as if the music is to come as it wants. He's shown he has the skills and will for making it, with or without the original band. Zoon, Mourning Sun, Chaocracy, REd777 and Prophecy, even Fallen, as spare parts attest that. Motivation and inspiration are important factors in the process, not only in the process of creation but of co-creation, with other musicians and, as it shows within his lyrics, with entities from other realities who seem to have their word to say.
Let's imagine holding the line/connection with not the lesser gods such as Pazuzu, Leviathan, Endymion, Kthulhu and all the others, having to referee. It is not having a chat with only one puck here but with a bunch of them !
That's rather a busy life we must admit. At least that could explain the unsaid truth about those multiple delays and why it's taking so long.
Beladona
Moonchild

Post by Beladona » Mon Nov 28, 2016 8:06 pm

I agree with Ngie. It is a question of the inspiration, the motivation and the right state of mind. When Carl is patient we must be patient too, waiting for the right constellation of stars :-)
Gruetoff
Moonchild

Post by Gruetoff » Fri Dec 02, 2016 12:55 am

yeahhhhno !
in my opinion, carl is with musicians.... but not with the right musicians. after all the years since john carter has left, there was no new material. let me include the latest misfortune i have ever listened to under the name fotn. but this is only my judgement, so, no bragging here... but seriously, listen to it, and try to ignore the artists and their names.... my result is : could be any no name band at some gig and it would probably make me tap my foot... there is no musical landscape, no real emotion, its nothing in comparison to the typical fotn material.

so, as mentioned, yes all of them are musicians, but the mix of them does not produce what is needed to keep up the name or fame. at this time, i do not expect anything at all.

...winter is coming...
VetForTheInsane
Moonchild

Post by VetForTheInsane » Thu Feb 09, 2017 2:01 am

Wasnt named after one of the Great Old Ones, carried through space via The Hounds of Tindalos or a gift to earth from Beelzebub..............he was simply named after..................https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9TgoF-ccdGM

Gruetoff wrote:it IS his real surname. carl douglas mccoy.
Ngie
Leviathan

Post by Ngie » Fri Feb 10, 2017 8:09 pm

« named after » ? This is a disco song from 1974. Carl Douglas Mac Coy was already born and well incorporated in his flesh at this time for already more than a decade :-D but you are right VetForTheInsane to remind us of his complete Christian name, and thanks for the reference. Time to dance the king fu now for my 50h birthday, cheers everyDRbody! :D