Why the Nephilim upset me.

Discuss about the Nephilim, Nefilim, F.O.T.N. and other projects by Carl McCoy. Stay on-topic, all off-topic posts will either be deleted or moved to General Chat or elsewhere.

Moderators: Morphic, Blue Angel, The Fallen Ones

markandre13
Leviathan

Why the Nephilim upset me.

Post by markandre13 » Tue May 06, 2014 10:52 am

karate for goths wrote:The Nephilim upset me.

Is it the use of flour? The music which references ancient biblical peoples, fallen angels and chaos magic? The fact that 1988′s amazing ‘Moonchild’ was released in the same year as Tiffany’s ‘I think we’re alone now’? Is it their laissez-faire attitude to touring? Their choice of encore, t-shirt or touring partner? Is it the fact that I have spent many a failed lunchtime ‘al desco’ trying to understand the difference between The Fields of The Nephilim, The Nefilim and The Nephilim? Nope.

It’s because, on the first album, Carl McCoy sings ‘flowers from your window box’ – and even worse – ‘flowers in your kitchen’ on another song.

I really don’t want to think of Carl McCoy, seer of the unseen, seeker of truths, in a kitchen. I don’t mind thinking of him in a slightly horticultural way (pointing out poisoned leaves from medicinal flowers on a woodland walk with his brethren) but it’s the kitchen that upsets me most. Kitchens mean whisks. Washing up. ‘Saving with Jamie’ books and trips to Cath Kidston if you’re unlucky. Flowers in your kitchen mean finding the right vase, locating kitchen scissors and thinking about whether the rumour that using 7up instead of water lengthens the life of the blooms in question.

I can’t see The Fields of The Nephilim in the kitchen. I don’t want to see The Fields of The Nephilim in the kitchen.

Am I alone?

And don’t even get me started on his visit to the ‘Sunday Park’ on ‘Elizium’. Carl feeding the ducks?
I think it depends on what one associates with "kitchen" and "sunday park".

For me a "kitchen" is a central part of my life, a place, like the loo, for meditation. But while I associate the loo with the dark side and death, the kitchen is a place of light.

"sunday parks" are, at the right time, desolated places, when everyone is away doing other things.
"It's probably better to have him inside the tent pissing out, than outside the tent pissing in." -- Lyndon B. Johnson
goyless
Psychonaut

Re: Why the Nephilim upset me.

Post by goyless » Tue May 06, 2014 5:00 pm

This blatant kitchen advertising should go to Cthulhu's lair!
But seriously, what's wrong with kitchens, flowers and sunday parks? It's not like it's rainbows, sunshines and teddybears...
Gargoyles rock!
markandre13
Leviathan

Post by markandre13 » Wed May 07, 2014 9:09 am

Teddybears remind me of a Danish comic I once held in my very hands but failed to buy. It was about a boy and his BDSM relationship with his teddy bear in leather straps. Very funny.
"It's probably better to have him inside the tent pissing out, than outside the tent pissing in." -- Lyndon B. Johnson
Timoth
Dawnrazor

Post by Timoth » Wed May 07, 2014 2:01 pm

Now that you mention the kitchen I have images of Carl McCoy and Tony P doing the morning breakfast routine like Morecambe and Wise did to the tune of 'The Stripper'. Just Google Morecambe and Wise Breakfast Scene and imagine it being our favourite two Nephers.....you will never look at them the same again!
:mrgreen:
Insert unfunny witicism here!
markandre13
Leviathan

Post by markandre13 » Wed May 07, 2014 3:13 pm

Morecambe=Tony and Wise=Carl?
goyless
Psychonaut

Post by goyless » Wed May 07, 2014 3:34 pm

Somehow, this is what I always imagined goes on in the Neffy tour bus.
Gargoyles rock!
Rockwifey
Moonchild

Post by Rockwifey » Wed May 07, 2014 8:12 pm

I'd rather imagine The Neph in the kitchen than in the toilet :shock:
MotherNorth
Moonchild

Post by MotherNorth » Wed May 07, 2014 8:19 pm

The Nephilim upset me because they don't publish anything new. :(
Naphtalin
Moonchild

Post by Naphtalin » Wed May 07, 2014 9:49 pm

Is he really singing about kitchens? I don't understand a third of the lyrics!
Le site http://www.ClicAnimaux.com permet en un clic de nourrir gratuitement un animal abandonné.
ThomasB
Nephilim

Post by ThomasB » Thu May 08, 2014 8:01 am

Timoth wrote:Now that you mention the kitchen I have images of Carl McCoy and Tony P doing the morning breakfast routine like Morecambe and Wise did to the tune of 'The Stripper'. Just Google Morecambe and Wise Breakfast Scene and imagine it being our favourite two Nephers.....you will never look at them the same again!
:mrgreen:

…Yer eeeeeeevil mate ! :mrgreen:
Fundraiser. You know, it's like Hellraiser, but without the Cenobites, the blood and all that.
IN NOMINE NEMO !
Ngie
Leviathan

Post by Ngie » Thu May 08, 2014 4:20 pm

markandre13 wrote:
karate for goths wrote:The Nephilim upset me.

Is it the use of flour? The music which references ancient biblical peoples, fallen angels and chaos magic? The fact that 1988′s amazing ‘Moonchild’ was released in the same year as Tiffany’s ‘I think we’re alone now’? Is it their laissez-faire attitude to touring? Their choice of encore, t-shirt or touring partner? Is it the fact that I have spent many a failed lunchtime ‘al desco’ trying to understand the difference between The Fields of The Nephilim, The Nefilim and The Nephilim? Nope.

It’s because, on the first album, Carl McCoy sings ‘flowers from your window box’ – and even worse – ‘flowers in your kitchen’ on another song.

I really don’t want to think of Carl McCoy, seer of the unseen, seeker of truths, in a kitchen. I don’t mind thinking of him in a slightly horticultural way (pointing out poisoned leaves from medicinal flowers on a woodland walk with his brethren) but it’s the kitchen that upsets me most. Kitchens mean whisks. Washing up. ‘Saving with Jamie’ books and trips to Cath Kidston if you’re unlucky. Flowers in your kitchen mean finding the right vase, locating kitchen scissors and thinking about whether the rumour that using 7up instead of water lengthens the life of the blooms in question.

I can’t see The Fields of The Nephilim in the kitchen. I don’t want to see The Fields of The Nephilim in the kitchen.

Am I alone?

And don’t even get me started on his visit to the ‘Sunday Park’ on ‘Elizium’. Carl feeding the ducks?
I think it depends on what one associates with "kitchen" and "sunday park".

For me a "kitchen" is a central part of my life, a place, like the loo, for meditation. But while I associate the loo with the dark side and death, the kitchen is a place of light.

"sunday parks" are, at the right time, desolated places, when everyone is away doing other things.
Why The Nephilim upset me/kitchen and sunday park

About the upsetting of The Nephilim, if Iremember well waoh they did and they should indeed upset me in may ways, for many reasons. That would be a long vain story to tell anyway much better kept for myself.
Carl considering the fandom as ducks to feed with the inside loaf of his sandwiches is but the lesser one. And for the rest of the upsetting it's been much shared and feeding the here forum as fan frustration in the long wait for new dates new stuff, with the cyclic feeling of The Nephilim persistently standing us up.

So Carl feeding the ducks ? I rather see it as a far dreamt souvenir from the eighties. There was a place called the Camden Lock where people with hair like ducks used to stop, take some rest and gather fresh air, drinks, whatever. Very close was Jungle records and Beggars Banquet so I guess bands were coming there, rehearsing the weekends and going to the park for a pause.

Flowers in the kitchen weeping : 1st of May peonies, fuschia peonies weeping ones on the right side of the following photograph :Imagehttp://3.bp.blogspot.com/_5QGLlC4IHGc/S ... ening2.jpg

Now if you consider that peonies have the same prononciation as ponies and with the cowboy stuff..
Imagehttp://i258.photobucket.com/albums/hh26 ... itchen.jpg
Imagehttp://pegasebuzz.com/leblog/wp-content ... use-02.jpg
Lizzie Umm
Moonchild

Post by Lizzie Umm » Thu May 15, 2014 2:35 pm

I could have sworn that in amongst the demonic growls in Xiberia Carl says "il cucina".
La cucina is Italian for kitchen, so maybe Carl has a special Man Kitchen in his house that he likes to sing about? 8)
It's only a game,
We're only here to dream.
Ngie
Leviathan

Post by Ngie » Fri May 16, 2014 9:52 am

Xiberia a man in the kitchen ? That's quite relevant 8) and lived as hell?
Cooking can be hell sometimes. There's a page about how.. for instance having a mechanic as a cook Imagehttp://www.chow.com/recipes/30258-basic ... eness-crab

Now listenning to cSiberia with 'Il cucina' in head I imagine from the side of a cook's tortured mind that it's possibly telling the delirium of a crab resisiting to the blanching process by the strength of his spirit, perhaps making his journey inside the boiling pot a peregrination in a sacred labyrinth such as the Big Solovetski one. :o
goyless
Psychonaut

Post by goyless » Fri May 16, 2014 5:34 pm

Not quite relevant musically, but relevant to the topic:
Black Metal Cooking Show... for vegans
Gargoyles rock!
Ngie
Leviathan

Post by Ngie » Fri May 16, 2014 9:19 pm

:D *notworthy* "...and we're getting closer, closer and closer" -Last Exit for the lost (cook)
Stranger
Psychonaut

Post by Stranger » Wed May 21, 2014 11:19 pm

What about Power's "static in the attic"?

Maybe he goes to the park Sunday because most people are at church and it's less crowded.

I could see him in the kitchen making pancakes for his daughters. One of those "I feel bad about my substance issues, I'm going to do something fatherly" moments. (Do they call them pancakes in the UK?)
Dr Cerebus
Watcher

Post by Dr Cerebus » Fri May 23, 2014 12:43 pm

Stranger wrote:I could see him in the kitchen making pancakes for his daughters. One of those "I feel bad about my substance issues, I'm going to do something fatherly" moments. (Do they call them pancakes in the UK?)
Pancakes shmancakes, CURRY is wot it's all about. :mrgreen:
falling from ecstasy...
...amongst other things
Ngie
Leviathan

Post by Ngie » Fri May 23, 2014 6:06 pm

Stranger wrote:What about Power's "static in the attic"?
:mrgreen: *notworthy*
Stranger wrote:Maybe he goes to the park Sunday because most people are at church and it's less crowded.
Churches more crowded than parks on Sundays? :o

Ah.. Attic walls! I'd never understood the lyrics of this song before. So I've done a bounce to this Surge Power version https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h-2dudde_lc
now what I catch from the lyrics with slight difference from those of DeNomadDamon - thanks btw for adding some.

Power...
Power Feeds You Long, Loving Hours
I Can Give Everlasting Power
Flower...
The World Opens
You Need Simple Flow(er)
A Feeling, A Feeling All So Sour
Draining Me, Now Draining Me From Power
Ho!
The Wide Open Stench Of All/our - So Sour.
I Can('t )Give, But I/ye/all Receive For Hours
Oh...

Drain It, Static From The Attic,
Attic Walls...

Drain It, Static From The Attic,
Attic Walls...

A power, so segmatic
see hard orz bird it
I call It static
(Attic Walls...)
I'm ecstatic
So charismatic
You're so tragic
My love's so manic
(Attic Walls...)
I have The power
Music/use it Frantic
Your Body's Turning / bodies tronic
I'm systematic/sex thematic
(Attic Walls...)
See My Touch
basic hour/ bakes the cower
Draining love
My Breathing Hours
Attic Walls!
Stranger
Psychonaut

Post by Stranger » Sat May 24, 2014 3:50 am

Ngie wrote: Power...
Power Feeds You Long, Loving Hours
I Can Give Everlasting Power
Flower...
The World Opens
You Need Simple Flow(er)
A Feeling, A Feeling All So Sour
What if it's "flour" rather than "flower"?

Seeing these lyrics transcribed is so bizarre that "flour" almost makes more sense to me!

"Flour
The world opens
You need simple flour"

Is he saying his world opened after he poured flour on himself for Nephilim's live shows, whose success at the time made him feel a sense of... power? Is it a deconstruction of the Nephilim mystique? "I'm the lead singer of a successful band because of something as simple as flour."

Flour does have a more sour smell than flowers.

I don't know about applying it to the OP's post. "Flours in the kitchen"? "Flours in the window box?"

Unless it all comes back to pancakes, in which case, flour would be in the kitchen...

(And if it's "I can give, but I receive for hours," that could describe album sales.)

Or maybe it's just one of his early attempts at automatic writing.
Ngie
Leviathan

Post by Ngie » Sat May 24, 2014 9:35 am

That makes sense.
And it changes with the usual cocaïne heroïne approach many rock bands have!
I much prefer that idea of white powder being flour kitchen stuff than hard drugs, it makes a sweeter addiction :)