Carls childhood experiences, and spirituality in the Neph?

Discuss about the Nephilim, Nefilim, F.O.T.N. and other projects by Carl McCoy. Stay on-topic, all off-topic posts will either be deleted or moved to General Chat or elsewhere.

Moderators: Morphic, Blue Angel, The Fallen Ones

Ciaran Newry
Moonchild

Carls childhood experiences, and spirituality in the Neph?

Post by Ciaran Newry » Sat Jun 29, 2013 3:32 am

Clearly intense spiritualism is at play in so much of the bands work, in my own opinion it was in its apprenticeship stage during the 'Nephilim' album and reached ethereal levels with Elysium.

Much was made in interviews, such as the 1991 'Select' interview, of Carls upbringing under the Jehovah Witness influence. However in subsequent interviews he seemed to make light of any notion of genuine spirituality within his work, something which i find hard to accept.

What i suppose i am asking is, do people feel there is a general spiritual influence behind the work of FOTN? or is it all just rock n roll dressed up for effect?
Ngie
Leviathan

Re: Carls childhood experiences, and spirituality in the Nep

Post by Ngie » Sun Jun 30, 2013 11:07 am

Hello Ciaran Newry :) , to answer your question, I'd say both.

Thanks for your post which inspired me the following.

Dressing up for effect

Obviously the occult stuff sells. At least it was fashionable in the time when we were young and with big appetite for knowledge. Apart from the search of truth and understanding, it was a great source of fun as well. Exploring myths and what was used for the building of our culture is a big form of tourism. FOTN's provided me tracks for that. We travelled with it as a map, from the name of a devil used as the title of a song to the symbols, the calligraphies and beautiful penmanships. The artwork, the lyrics teased my curiosity and filled my appetite for the hidden. I was happy with those invitations to study and share other knowledge. FOTN has provided doors to push and interest within them.

It felt good to think there was other people on the esoteric way. After knowing of SOM and The Mission finding FOTN marked the end of the scale of my search. On a more personal place them altogether appeared to me as the elder brother I would never have being an elder sister myself. Therefore Carl mc Coy is in a very special position at the top of the scale.
I keep as a big regret the lack of meeting him in my life.

Speaking of work of art (what is breathed and what is caught)

A work of art has two lifes : first the one the artist gives to it, second the one the reciever gives to it.
We can speak of a work of art, we can share our experiment of it. It can be inspiring so that we may create our turn, furthering its life.

A work of art is like a mother's baby, the artist makes it from various things then gives birth to it.
The artist fed on inspirations and used material he got from 'suppliers'. The choice of them is a debatable question. The evaluation of a work of art is difficult and much subjective since half part of it consists in the live experiment of the user. Do we like it or not, how does it change us, how do we make it ours ? for which reasons ? The other half equals to the amount of time, energy, money etc, the artist's put in it.
The choice of what the artist puts in his work is motivated as well. Which public does he aims to touch ? Does he make a living of it? How free is he with it? With his suppliers, financiers ?

It is understandable to wish to know what is behind a work of art, what came before, and how it was made. It's like when we meet somebody and feel something for them, We may wonder and wish to know more : who they are, what was their past, how they became what they are, how their life's been. Going this way is about attraction.

Knowing the artist is most of all but guessing, especially for those who don't spreak much about themselves. For the reader it is much like wondering what is biographic and what is not of a novel. Apart from the work of art with FOTN we've got many interviews.

The musicians are accessible, not Carl whose door is closed for personal encounters.
You may try the telepathic way it will not open more but you may believe it does, at least as long as you'll wish for it.
.:An.nA:.
Moonchild

Post by .:An.nA:. » Sun Jun 30, 2013 1:40 pm

Dear Ngie, thanx for your reply, you saved me the effort of finding the words to explain my thought on the matter *notworthy*
I'm feeling too lazy right now but I might add something later :)
...We are only here to dream...
Ngie
Leviathan

Post by Ngie » Sun Jun 30, 2013 3:02 pm

You're welcome .:An.nA:. :)
xseawitch
Watcher

Post by xseawitch » Sat Jul 13, 2013 4:23 pm

I agree with the posters so far, for me there has always been an authenticity and feeling of depth to the Fields of The Nephilim's music and lyrics which I might not consciously understand, but which nevertheless appeals to me. They are a darn fine rock n roll band and Carl looks sexy as hell in his stage gear, but there is more, or I wouldn't still be as attached to the music.

Also, I have to say considering live experiences, I genuinely feel something spiritual happens during Psychonaut which transcends sound. Perhaps it's just me projecting my personal fondness for the track?