Possible Nephilim CD reissues

Discuss about the Nephilim, Nefilim, F.O.T.N. and other projects by Carl McCoy. Stay on-topic, all off-topic posts will either be deleted or moved to General Chat or elsewhere.

Moderators: Morphic, Blue Angel, The Fallen Ones

EdK
Moonchild

Re: Possible Nephilim CD reissues

Post by EdK » Wed Sep 11, 2013 4:12 pm

Does re-releasing old material and as highlighted with old artwork mean that we have again been pushed to the side with nothing new to look forward too.
Now don't get me wrong, all of the stuff being released is top drawer, but wouldn't just a sneak peak of something new new be nice for a change.

It was 2005 when Mourning Sun was released, and apart from admittedly a beauiful boxset, we've had nothing.

Come on Carl, help us out, a nice sheer faith booklet, maybe an EP or mini LP, just like the good old days.

Please reward the loyalty shown by all the watchers and psychonauts.
MotherNorth
Moonchild

Post by MotherNorth » Wed Sep 11, 2013 7:18 pm

EdK wrote:
Come on Carl, help us out, a nice sheer faith booklet, maybe an EP or mini LP, just like the good old days.

Please reward the loyalty shown by all the watchers and psychonauts.
*notworthy* *notworthy* *notworthy*
The Last Voice
Watcher

Post by The Last Voice » Wed Sep 11, 2013 11:29 pm

EdK wrote:Does re-releasing old material and as highlighted with old artwork mean that we have again been pushed to the side with nothing new to look forward too.
This release is a Beggars initiative - Fields of the Nephilim will probably have had the opportunity to veto the selection of certain tracks, but that's likely to be about as much input as they'd have been asked for (if any). Surely if the band was involved in any way, the label would have said so in their press.
Mine is the last voice you will ever hear... Do not be alarmed.
The Last Voice
Watcher

Post by The Last Voice » Wed Sep 11, 2013 11:36 pm

EdK wrote:It was 2005 when Mourning Sun was released, and apart from admittedly a beauiful boxset, we've had nothing.
To which boxset do you refer? Surely not G'nR...
wshaffer
Psychonaut

Post by wshaffer » Fri Sep 13, 2013 12:00 am

The Last Voice wrote:
EdK wrote:It was 2005 when Mourning Sun was released, and apart from admittedly a beauiful boxset, we've had nothing.
To which boxset do you refer? Surely not G'nR...
I won't tell you how much time I spent trying to work out what Guns and Roses had to do with this before I realized you must be referring to Genesis and Revelations. :P

No, I assume EdK was referring to Ceromonies, which was a beautiful box set.
EdK
Moonchild

Post by EdK » Tue Sep 17, 2013 11:22 pm

Yep, wshaffer,
Twere the ceremonies box set I was referring to.

GnR had me stumped too but I thought there was something I should've known about.
Thanks for clearing that up.
VetForTheInsane
Moonchild

Post by VetForTheInsane » Thu Sep 19, 2013 9:53 pm

What annoys me the most is that there are unreleased tracks gathering dust from the classic lineup Neph era.
On the elizium tour (I think, tho might've been the FHL tour) the band took it upon themselves to invite a few people that were doing the whole tour back to the hotel each night for drinks/chat/kipping on the floor etc.
My turn was Hull and back in the room Nod put on the desk recording of that night's gig. Paul mentioned that surely we want to hear the unreleased stuff rather than that. Didn't at the time seem like sarcasm or a throwaway comment. I took it as read that there's a decent amount of totally unreleased stuff (that isn't the 20 minute version of existing tracks etc etc).

Now I personally don't care if it's only in demo form. It's stuff that's never gonna get mastered into grade A release new tracks coz it's a different band and sound now. But that unreleased stuff was during the beggars era using the same lineup as this re-released stuff. No one is expecting to call newly released old stuff a fresh release that would taint the brand's heritage. There was simply a totally appropriate opportunity to add on another cd to each re-release and yet again the nephilim didn't deliver.

The one thing the nephilim were always bad at was realising that fans helped them get where they did (and where they should have gone). This culminated in the protests and the signs from the followers at the Glasgow gig of one of the tours, a consequence of which were the sandwich delivery in liverpool and perhaps the hotel invites.

But it's 2013 now and the fans deserve far more for their loyalty than yet another cd re-hash with nothing new. There aren't enough people watching anymore to worry about the careful manipulation of the band's image and release schedule. So for the sake of the loyal and very patient fans everywhere, an opening of the vaults would have gone some way to pleasing someone other than Carl (and would bring in money!!). Not to blessed be again!
MotherNorth
Moonchild

Post by MotherNorth » Fri Sep 20, 2013 7:32 am

VetForTheInsane wrote:What annoys me the most is that there are unreleased tracks gathering dust from the classic lineup Neph era.
On the elizium tour (I think, tho might've been the FHL tour) the band took it upon themselves to invite a few people that were doing the whole tour back to the hotel each night for drinks/chat/kipping on the floor etc.
My turn was Hull and back in the room Nod put on the desk recording of that night's gig. Paul mentioned that surely we want to hear the unreleased stuff rather than that. Didn't at the time seem like sarcasm or a throwaway comment. I took it as read that there's a decent amount of totally unreleased stuff (that isn't the 20 minute version of existing tracks etc etc).

Now I personally don't care if it's only in demo form. It's stuff that's never gonna get mastered into grade A release new tracks coz it's a different band and sound now. But that unreleased stuff was during the beggars era using the same lineup as this re-released stuff. No one is expecting to call newly released old stuff a fresh release that would taint the brand's heritage. There was simply a totally appropriate opportunity to add on another cd to each re-release and yet again the nephilim didn't deliver.

The one thing the nephilim were always bad at was realising that fans helped them get where they did (and where they should have gone). This culminated in the protests and the signs from the followers at the Glasgow gig of one of the tours, a consequence of which were the sandwich delivery in liverpool and perhaps the hotel invites.

But it's 2013 now and the fans deserve far more for their loyalty than yet another cd re-hash with nothing new. There aren't enough people watching anymore to worry about the careful manipulation of the band's image and release schedule. So for the sake of the loyal and very patient fans everywhere, an opening of the vaults would have gone some way to pleasing someone other than Carl (and would bring in money!!). Not to blessed be again!
Unreleased stuff??? That would indeed be interesting!!! *notworthy* *cthulhu*
The Last Voice
Watcher

Post by The Last Voice » Fri Sep 20, 2013 5:27 pm

@ VetForTheInsane

Excellent post, I share your opinion regarding much of what you said in your post.

It's a pity that none of the original album releases have had the deluxe reissue treatment in the last 20 years. Assuming that the record label fronted the band money for each album, they would own the rights to demo versions too. There should actually be a wealth of interesting material available to expand each album with. I would even go for instrumental versions of each album. (In fact, that would be brilliant!)

Beyond the scope of what the label owns, there would also be the bands own private archives, demo tracks from before they were signed - tour rehearsal sessions, soundboards from live shows , etc. Given the interest in bootlegs of fan recording of gigs, there is surely an untapped market for the history of this most interesting of bands.
lsind
Moonchild

Post by lsind » Mon Sep 23, 2013 1:50 am

MotherNorth wrote:
Unreleased stuff??? That would indeed be interesting!!! *notworthy* *cthulhu*

If it was the FHL tour, I assume the unreleased stuff could well just be some tracks from the then as-yet unreleased Elizium album that we've all already got… Demos? Rough mixes? Or simply the finished tracks...
ThomasB
Nephilim

Post by ThomasB » Mon Sep 23, 2013 7:56 am

VetForTheInsane wrote: The one thing the nephilim were always bad at was realising that fans helped them get where they did (and where they should have gone). This culminated in the protests and the signs from the followers at the Glasgow gig of one of the tours, a consequence of which were the sandwich delivery in liverpool and perhaps the hotel invites.

…What was that story mate ? :?:
Fundraiser. You know, it's like Hellraiser, but without the Cenobites, the blood and all that.
IN NOMINE NEMO !
NorthernNephilim
Nephilim

Post by NorthernNephilim » Mon Oct 07, 2013 4:51 pm

Peter Yates took a listen to it:

"
So, with the Beggars Banquet FOTN boxset due for release in November I listened to 'Elizium' from start to finish today for the first time in over 20 years and I was astonished. It's difficult to get perspective on an album that you've played on but it felt like new because it's been so long since I've heard it. And hats off to Andy Jackson for the production, listen to it on quality headphones if you can, there are some really subtle touches on this record, especially with the guitars. It's on a par with Radiohead's "OK Computer" and Pink Floyd's "Animals." I feel honoured to have made this album with Paul, Tony, Nod and Carl. It should have sold millions!
"

so they are slightly remastered ..
The Last Voice
Watcher

Post by The Last Voice » Mon Oct 07, 2013 6:01 pm

NorthernNephilim wrote:so they are slightly remastered ..
Err, no.

As mentioned previously, only Elizium had a new analogue master prepped - that reissue has been out for a while now btw....

Mr Yates used 'quality headphones' too, and knows what to listen for, so don't expect amazement, only convenience from this set.
MotherNorth
Moonchild

Post by MotherNorth » Mon Oct 07, 2013 6:16 pm

NorthernNephilim wrote:Peter Yates took a listen to it:

"
It's on a par with Radiohead's "OK Computer" and Pink Floyd's "Animals." I feel honoured to have made this album with Paul, Tony, Nod and Carl. It should have sold millions!
"
*notworthy* *notworthy* *notworthy*
Dr Cerebus
Watcher

Post by Dr Cerebus » Wed Nov 13, 2013 3:16 pm

NorthernNephilim wrote:so they are slightly remastered ..
http://archive.beggars.com/releases/215 ... m-5-albums
"The only album in this set to have been fully re-mastered from the analogue tapes is Elysium. Due to the limited budget (and in some cases non availability of analogue) the other albums / tracks have been mastered from digital sources."
falling from ecstasy...
...amongst other things
NorthernNephilim
Nephilim

Post by NorthernNephilim » Wed Nov 13, 2013 4:51 pm

intresting if they used for Elisium the same source as at the Elisium vinyl reissue from 2011.