So it really pisses me off...

Discuss about the Nephilim, Nefilim, F.O.T.N. and other projects by Carl McCoy. Stay on-topic, all off-topic posts will either be deleted or moved to General Chat or elsewhere.

Moderators: Morphic, Blue Angel, The Fallen Ones

ojopaj
Watcher

So it really pisses me off...

Post by ojopaj » Sat Apr 21, 2012 1:35 am

[rant mode: on]
<alcoholism rant, apologies>
[rant mode: off]
Last edited by ojopaj on Sat Sep 30, 2017 5:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity." — Robert J. Hanlon
wshaffer
Psychonaut

Re: So it really pisses me off...

Post by wshaffer » Sat Apr 21, 2012 1:55 am

ojopaj wrote:[rant mode: on]
Here goes McCoy, once again making money off the backs of the original band. McCoy didn't write a goddamned single note of the music of FotN before the breakup, yet the original band members won't even get a penny from Ceromonies. And here is everyone raving and drooling about the new live album, as if it has anything to do with the real FotN. Grrrrrrrrr
Actually, as I understand it, the original band members should get royalties for any songs they were credited as songwriters on. It's probably a piffling amount of money, but honestly, I doubt that McCoy's getting rich off Ceromonies either.

As for it being the "real" FotN - this is hardly the first time a band has broken up and then continued with a radically changed lineup. If people are enjoying Ceromonies, why shouldn't they say so? Are they supposed to pretend that it's crap even if it's not?
Dr Cerebus
Watcher

Post by Dr Cerebus » Sat Apr 21, 2012 10:34 am

wshaffer wrote:this is hardly the first time a band has broken up and then continued with a radically changed lineup.
The Cure
The Fall
Sisters of Mercy
Sugababes
Whitesnake

to name but a few... :mrgreen:
falling from ecstasy...
...amongst other things
angry bob
Nephilim

Post by angry bob » Sat Apr 21, 2012 11:13 am

Here goes McCoy, once again making money off the backs of the original band. McCoy didn't write a goddamned single note of the music of FotN before the breakup, yet the original band members won't even get a penny from Ceromonies. And here is everyone raving and drooling about the new live album, as if it has anything to do with the real FotN. Grrrrrrrrr
Industry, mate... You gotta be a bit of a predator

I wonder what would be reaction like if the old members got together, employed new vocalist and called themselves FOTN... Obviously they won't do that cuz they're not interested in going back to the past...
morning comes as light burning out my eyes
Rodthemaninblack
Moonchild

Post by Rodthemaninblack » Sat Apr 21, 2012 2:36 pm

wshaffer wrote:
Actually, as I understand it, the original band members should get royalties for any songs they were credited as songwriters on. It's probably a piffling amount of money, but honestly, I doubt that McCoy's getting rich off Ceromonies either.

As for it being the "real" FotN - this is hardly the first time a band has broken up and then continued with a radically changed lineup. If people are enjoying Ceromonies, why shouldn't they say so? Are they supposed to pretend that it's crap even if it's not?
wshaffer wrote:

Couldn't agree more, love Ceromonies, excellent from start to finish! :D
markreed
Moonchild

Post by markreed » Sat Apr 21, 2012 8:40 pm

obvious troll is obvious.

The Cure. The Sisters Of Mercy. The Mission. Pop Will Eat Itself. Oasis. Nine Inch Nails. The Fall.

And so on...
ojopaj
Watcher

Post by ojopaj » Sun Apr 22, 2012 4:03 am

<idiotic rant deleted>
Last edited by ojopaj on Sat Sep 30, 2017 5:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity." — Robert J. Hanlon
Invisible Goth
Psychonaut

Post by Invisible Goth » Sun Apr 22, 2012 7:14 am

Are you for real?

Have YOU asked any of the ex-members if they're getting/not getting royalties? No. Of course you haven't. In the UK there is at least one major organization that deals with royalty distribution. And with EMI's involvement, you bet they're getting their share

Did you BOTHER to read the liner notes of Ceromonies? Judging from what you dribbled, apparently not. There, in plain English, credits for all the songs.

Carl not a songwriter? Psychonaut? Last Exit? Why are you even here?

Troll? Yeah, you fit the bill mate. Look it up, thats exactly what you are. Plus a few other things

We don't care about your ill informed opinions
ojopaj wrote:troll? seriously? give me a break. McCoy, who is clearly not much of a musician or songwriter, is profiting off the works of others. it matters nary a whit whether he calls himself by FotN or another name. why dont you ask the other band members if they are getting a penny of royalties from Ceromonies? that's what pisses me off. McCoy is cashing in on the reputation of four talented musicians, and most reviewers and fans are treating it like its somehow no different. if you disagree that's fine, but don't label me a troll for not falling on the McCoy worship bandwagon. let's at least call a spade a spade. this is not FotN this is McCoy, and there are four good musicians out there who have been screwed. at least McCoy could have the decency to acknowledge them, admit they wrote 100% of the music, and give them fair royalties.
Don
Dawnrazor

Post by Don » Sun Apr 22, 2012 10:40 am

Invisible Goth wrote:
Did you BOTHER to read the liner notes of Ceromonies? Judging from what you dribbled, apparently not. There, in plain English, credits for all the songs.
Indeed, quite a number of songs are from Zoon and Mourning Sun, which obviously have nothing to to with the former five original members (yes, even Gary Whisker received an appropriate writing credit).

That said, on the subject of exploiting other people's work, I've always felt Fast Eddie Clarke should have received a writing credit for Phobia. :wink:
You Will Treat Her Like A Cure

www.leon-steelgrave.com
Bau
Nephilim

Post by Bau » Sun Apr 22, 2012 3:57 pm

Is John Carter listed in the credits? I have not seen the DVD or CDs, but I am hearing disturbing things about him being edited out of most of the video footage...
Twist of fate wont give me a break and myself I'm slow and tired ~ COC
squishy
Nephilim

Post by squishy » Sun Apr 22, 2012 4:11 pm

ojopaj wrote:McCoy, who is clearly not much of a musician or songwriter
That's utter nonsense.

Clearly? How do you know? How COULD you possibly know?
remember what the doorknob said
markreed
Moonchild

Post by markreed » Sun Apr 22, 2012 5:36 pm

Yes, McCoy is profiting off the work of himself, been as he's been the singer in the band - whomever is in the band - for the past 26 years. Given that there is material from every FOTN/Nefilim record on Ceromonies, maybe, in fact, it's the people who haven't been in the band for 21 years that are profiting from the work by McCoy post '91.
Enoch
Dawnrazor

Post by Enoch » Sun Apr 22, 2012 10:53 pm

Don't even know whether any of the previous band members get royalties - I thought McCoy bought the rights on name and tracks after the split. Could be wrong though.

Be that as it may, I too think the OP is not correct in his rant here - I vastly prefer the old lineup, still it's not undue to make money with the music performed and recorded. The argument is completely fallacious anyway, or covers would never generate money for their interpreter.
Night obliterates the day and all the fun begins
The Damned - Curtain Call

Citizen of a nation otherwise populated mainly by blinded, brain damaged xenophobes
ojopaj
Watcher

Post by ojopaj » Mon Apr 23, 2012 4:07 am

<idiotic rant deleted>
Last edited by ojopaj on Sat Sep 30, 2017 5:08 am, edited 2 times in total.
shackled
Watcher

Post by shackled » Mon Apr 23, 2012 7:47 am

Without McCoy's voice and lyrics there would be no Nephilim. 8)
I sleep with poison dreams and a borrowed hope that died.
squishy
Nephilim

Post by squishy » Mon Apr 23, 2012 8:40 am

ojopaj wrote:
squishy wrote:
ojopaj wrote:McCoy, who is clearly not much of a musician or songwriter
That's utter nonsense.

Clearly? How do you know? How COULD you possibly know?
read any interviews with the band members - they always said they wrote the music, then McCoy would come along behind with some lyrics. you will not find a single interview in the history of the band where they said McCoy contributed as much as a single chord change.

just FYI to answer your question.

btw some seem to think that my admittedly strong opinion about McCoy is somehow an attack on them. clearly that is not the case. if you disagree with me that's fine, but there is no reason to insult me or call me names etc. sheesh.
I don't think you're attacking me, I just think yo're expressing a deeply prejudiced and all in all very much unfounded view. The fact that McCoy didn't write music - if it is true at all, for there's no actual evidence here - in the (tediously romanticised) times of the old line-up by no means means he's been "clearly no musician or songwriter" since then. Judging by Zoon, MS and even Fallen, I'd say he's clearly a brilliant songwriter.
remember what the doorknob said
wild bill buttock
Nephilim

Post by wild bill buttock » Mon Apr 23, 2012 9:02 am

I doubt anyone will be giving up thier day job whether they get paid or not to be honest *whistle*
Mont Ventoux
Psychonaut

Post by Mont Ventoux » Mon Apr 23, 2012 1:04 pm

shackled wrote:Without McCoy's voice and lyrics there would be no Nephilim. 8)
Infact, both of them have been important in the same way.
We cannot take one part, the music or the voice and the lyrics (and the charism that pours from them, as the importance of the artwork ) choosing only one part to decide which has the priority. They stay together.

I think that Zoon or Mourning Sun are very good records but I think also that they would have been better with the old line up. The same subjects influence from the other side my opinion about Last Rites or Eden House.
wild bill buttock
Nephilim

Post by wild bill buttock » Mon Apr 23, 2012 4:01 pm

I don't think there is very much doubt that on the first three albums, McCoy's contributions were no more than lyrics and vocal lines. As for MS and Zoon......Who knows exactly how much was Carl and how much did Carter contibute on MS, and likewise Hutchins, Rippin and Miles on Zoon or Tony Pettitt on Fallen?
shackled wrote:Without McCoy's voice and lyrics there would be no Nephilim. 8)
Righy ho. So had Carl never met Tony, Paul and Nod there still would have been Fields of The Nephilim then?
Being as Carlos was singing in reggae bands (according to the writings), Would The Neph have been a reggae band? Cthulu Rastafari anyone *whistle*
And would anyone on this forum have been interested in a reggae band singing about Hebrew mythology? Like ccok they would!
IIRC the band's name came from a book on Hebrew mythology that Carl read whilst staying at Tony Pettitt's parents house. In which case, one could argue, without Mr and Mrs Pettitt senior there would be no Nephilim.
Don
Dawnrazor

Post by Don » Mon Apr 23, 2012 6:03 pm

Yawn. Been here before. Many times.
Can we just move on?
You Will Treat Her Like A Cure

www.leon-steelgrave.com