FOTN fandom behind the Iron Curtain?

Discuss about the Nephilim, Nefilim, F.O.T.N. and other projects by Carl McCoy. Stay on-topic, all off-topic posts will either be deleted or moved to General Chat or elsewhere.

Moderators: Morphic, Blue Angel, The Fallen Ones

Mark Anthony Quested
Leviathan

Re: FOTN fandom behind the Iron Curtain?

Post by Mark Anthony Quested » Sun Jan 30, 2011 1:17 am

squishy wrote:
Mark Anthony Quested wrote:I know that some Polish people were fans of Pink Floyd, but their records were hard to get.
Hard to get in Poland? When?

Poland surely used to be one of them nasty pseudo-Communist Party-goverened states - and, for a change, is nowadays a probably still lousier place populated by right-wing fundamentalist fuckheads and neo-con fanboys (unlike some countries, Poland doesn't improve but rather goes from bad to worse with time).

Still, one thing you couldn't say about Poland is that music was/is/has ever been difficult to get there. And Pink Floyd stuff in particular was just about everywhere in Warsaw in the infamous 1980s - I bet you could easily find it at your grocer's.
I believe the "hard to get in Poland" was a quote from the CD of David Gilmour's live album, a quote from the then president?
Yours, aye!

Mark Anthony Quested
Facebook - http://www.facebook.com/markanthonyquested
Twitter - Mark Anthony Quested @MAQuested
"He posts, in confusion!"
ThomasB
Nephilim

Post by ThomasB » Sun Jan 30, 2011 2:26 am

Mark Anthony Quested wrote:
ThomasB wrote:
NorthernNephilim wrote: or you know a guy which knows a guy which knows a guy which knows a guy which knows a guy which knows a guy which knows a guy which knows a guy (.......) and asking for contacting and they sell you imported records, for hillarious prices. Selling import records was more profitable for them then smuggling cigarettes ...
Yes, I saw that in a more than decent German Film about kids in East Berlin at the time, they do show a guy selling records. Obne of the kids tries during the whole movie to get enough money to buy a Stones Record.

I can only imagine how precious such record was for the guys and the blissfull thrill you got when playing it.
(Compare with the "I want EVERYTHING, I want it NOW or I'll stomp my FEET, and I don't want to pay for it Just Because, and afterward I'll tell everyone it's crap" crowd… *whistle* )
Well, this is the kind of information that I wanted to hear about. Music fandom behind the iron curtain, how easy or hard it was to get western music. Whether any eastern bloc fans knew and had heard FOTN during the dying days of the Cold War in the 1980s.
I guess I could research the name of the movie. I think it was "something allee", describing the road just outside the Berlin wall. The characters lived close to the checkpoint. Quite a nice piece of "Ostalgie", not on par with the brilliant "Goodbye Lenin", but getting close.
Maybe some of you Deutsches Freunden can get the title ? It was on cable tee-vee last year and I admit I can only remember the movie itself, not any specific actor or the director (shame on mee… :oops: )
Back in the days when I was a kid, there were several articles about rock behind the Iron Curtain in music mags, quite enlightening for us spoiled Westerners, and even a full-fledged TV documentary about rock in Russia called "From Lenin to Lennon" (!), but dealing only with Russian bands of all genre, some pretty good, spawning a CD compilation which I must still have somewhere…
BTW at the Frontline Assembly gig in Paris last year, I met some fans from Rumania. We are legion indeedy…
Fundraiser. You know, it's like Hellraiser, but without the Cenobites, the blood and all that.
IN NOMINE NEMO !
Mark Anthony Quested
Leviathan

Post by Mark Anthony Quested » Sun Jan 30, 2011 2:30 am

ThomasB wrote: I guess I could research the name of the movie. I think it was "something allee", describing the road just outside the Berlin wall. The characters lived close to the checkpoint. Quite a nice piece of "Ostalgie", not on par with the brilliant "Goodbye Lenin", but getting close.
Maybe some of you Deutsches Freunden can get the title ? It was on cable tee-vee last year and I admit I can only remember the movie itself, not any specific actor or the director (shame on mee… :oops: )
Back in the days when I was a kid, there were several articles about rock behind the Iron Curtain in music mags, quite enlightening for us spoiled Westerners, and even a full-fledged TV documentary about rock in Russia called "From Lenin to Lennon" (!), but dealing only with Russian bands of all genre, some pretty good, spawning a CD compilation which I must still have somewhere…
BTW at the Frontline Assembly gig in Paris last year, I met some fans from Rumania. We are legion indeedy…
There was a film released recently about an Iraqi Heavy Metal band. I must see it sometime. (If I could remember the name!)
Yours, aye!

Mark Anthony Quested
Facebook - http://www.facebook.com/markanthonyquested
Twitter - Mark Anthony Quested @MAQuested
"He posts, in confusion!"
EatKnuckle
Psychonaut

Post by EatKnuckle » Sun Jan 30, 2011 2:36 pm

Mark Anthony Quested wrote: There was a film released recently about an Iraqi Heavy Metal band. I must see it sometime. (If I could remember the name!)
Band is Acrassicauda

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1092007/

:wink:
...cover his face...